PDA

View Full Version : Thank You ASU!: Crowd Control Concerns for Chattanooga Title Game

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
http://wdef.com/news/crowd_control_concerns_for_chattanooga_title_game/10/2008

This is the result of thousands of fans crowding the field 3+ min of game time before the game before the game ended.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Stupid. Elimnating seating to control fans? Fans left the regular seating areas too.

Edge316007
October 8th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Fans came from everywhere. If people still want to get on the field, they will. They probably need a gate of some sort around the hill like App has instead of just that tiny ledge.

But who cares if we rushed the field. The game was long over.

WUTNDITWAA
October 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Question. How many teams in 11 years of Chatty hosting the title game have had thousands of fans show up, period?

Fixed it for you. And the answer is one. xnodx

Okay, I'll throw in GaSouthern. They've traveled well too.

rob_p469
October 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I still have to say, my experiance in Chatty in 2004 was bitter for another reason. Montana fans were being taunted and had obsenities yelled at them from the James Madison Band...And this was 2 hours before kickoff! The James Madison fans then lined the sidewalk to the Griz buses and continued hounding our fans relentlessly. This should be an event where you go to celebrate your team's successfull season, not get into arguments with a team we have never played before.

Eight Legger
October 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I still have to say, my experiance in Chatty in 2004 was bitter for another reason. Montana fans were being taunted and had obsenities yelled at them from the James Madison Band...And this was 2 hours before kickoff! The James Madison fans then lined the sidewalk to the Griz buses and continued hounding our fans relentlessly. This should be an event where you go to celebrate your team's successfull season, not get into arguments with a team we have never played before.

Rob, according to what the JMU people have explained to us, that is just all part of their "act" and we overreacted when they did similar things to us at our stadium two years ago. Hmmmm....xrolleyesx

Appguy
October 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Question. How many teams in 11 years of Chatty hosting the title game have had thousands of dumba&* fans rush the field before the game ended?

Don't worry, this won't affect you guys, not making it past the first/second round.

Skjellyfetti
October 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Question. How many teams in 11 years of Chatty hosting the title game have had thousands of dumba&* fans rush the field before the game ended?

Smack. xrolleyesx

T-Dog
October 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM

And since you C&P'ed your response to my post on your boards, I'll C&P my response to you here.

--------------------------

We didn't rush the field before the game ended. We were on the sidelines because the National Guard told our fans to come on down from the grassy bank. We weren't trying to get on the sidelines that early, but since it was after the TD that put us up 49-14 that the game was pretty much over and the next drive would just run out the clock. And of course excited fans are going to come down onto the field if they're being told to. Plus, the fans who were in the seats (like me), did so in an orderly fashion and there were no problems. I was there, I saw it happen as well as many more fans.

Every time we've only been on the field once the final play was ran and the clock ticked off. Just like your fans did in 2004.

If they want to curtail drunken behavior (which is the real issue here), have the game Saturday afternoon. Delaware fans were shot-gunning beer at 6:30 am in the Finley parking lot and didn't stop (and we weren't that far behind). With an 8 pm kickoff and several hotels within walking distance, that's just asking for trouble.

T-Dog
October 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
had obsenities yelled at them from the James Madison Band....

Rob, according to what the JMU people have explained to us, that is just all part of their "act" and we overreacted when they did similar things to us at our stadium two years ago. Hmmmm....xrolleyesx

That makes three of us. xthumbsupx

LehighFan11
October 8th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Just put it on the smack board now. We beat this subject into the ground.

Syntax Error
October 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Just an observance many can make, ASU fans not only crowded the field in many playoff games last year, they violated NCAA rules for restricted areas. No surprise that this was noticed by those who make the rules.

FCS Go!
October 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Filling in around the sidelines before the game is over, especially how it was done by the endzone, was a real no-class act. I was sitting with a bunch of locals who were appalled. I think everyone was lucky that the worst thing that happened was somebody hucked a football into the crowd.

KiddBrewer
October 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
are we not almost over this chit yet?

BeauFoster
October 9th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Just an observance many can make, ASU fans not only crowded the field in many playoff games last year, they violated NCAA rules for restricted areas. No surprise that this was noticed by those who make the rules.

Oregon State - USC game the other night, the same thing happened. The NCAA has yet to say a word about it. Also, those who make the rules (the security hired by those who make the rules) were the ones inviting people down. I had one yell to me to come on down. I didn't, but he offered. And how does 2 games make a "many"?

DLS
October 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM

wasnt it already established that the guards were TELLING people to come down to the field?

im surprised a drunk student being to told to come on to the field didnt go after the ball mid play.

AshevilleApp2
October 9th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Smack. xrolleyesx

Exactly. Wrong forum.

appfan2008
October 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM

examples?

jus10asu
October 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Bitterxconfusedx

appfan2008
October 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
at least we filled up that stadium... something that had never happened before!

jus10asu
October 9th, 2008, 07:33 AM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx
I wouldn't say "many". If it was your team you'd say well maybe we shouldn't have done that or maybe you would've been down there. It seems to me that we're nitpicking just to find something wrong with ASU. I was on the field on the sideline of the endzone and yes I was told to come to the edge of the wall. And when Trey ran that TD we were literally pushed from behind. But please lets move this to the smack board.

uofmman1122
October 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
at least we filled up that stadium... something that had never happened before!xrolleyesx

I bet you think football was invented in 2005, too.

ASUG8
October 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Didn't notice it at the EWU game I attended - define "many" playoff games....

Remember we have a "high school track" around our field that allows us to "crowd" the field without even stepping foot on the turf.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM
1. Not a fan of the title of this thread, but the article speaks for itself.

2. ASU brought tons of people because it's close to Boone (relatively). I'm sure the Griz could have brought 30K+ if the NC were to be held in Boise.

3. Seriously, offended by a college band? Shame...

uofmman1122
October 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
2. ASU brought tons of people because it's close to Boone (relatively). I'm sure the Griz could have brought 30K+ if the NC were to be held anywhere.FYP. xnodx:p

Appaholic
October 9th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Ummmm.....was it the same team that won three NC's in a row? Just a wild guess..........get the fok over it....it happened, I'm not proud of it, you won this year for the first time since, what, 1991? Enjoy your good fortune and quit b!tching about ours......xcoffeex

appmaj
October 9th, 2008, 08:21 AM

Answer the only team that sold it out in 11 years...

Rekdiver
October 9th, 2008, 09:02 AM
ITS A FOOTBALL GAME NOT A TENNIS MATCH! Despite the large amounts of fans that crowded the field I didnt see anyone taunting Delaware or any of the other teams the previous two years. How can you call enthusiasm classless? The stadium group needs to do a better job with security in and OUT of the stadium.

Kudo to any band member that has the guts to swear at me....but the trombone slide wont be in the instrument when I'm done with him OR her.

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
We were on the sidelines because the National Guard told our fans to come on down from the grassy bank. We weren't trying to get on the sidelines that early
Not how I remember it. xpeacex

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Not that I want to relive this moment, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZMl4ZjjFs&feature=related

"The things I heard from the crowd, you know uh, I kinda wanted to jerk a couple of them up myself" - Sgt. David Frye (Chattanooga PD)

OldFootballGuy
October 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I was sitting down near that end zone and I clearly saw the security personnel motion for the ASU fans to come down the hill with more than three minutes left in the game. I thought it was a strange decision to make and I'm still not sure I agree with it. My only point is that blaming the kids from ASU is not right. If anyone is to be blamed, it is whoever made the decision to direct those fans down the hill.

CharlestonAppFan
October 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Were you in the parking lot?...I'm mean I can understand if you were xsmiley_wix . And if you were in the stands, I'm sure you would have noticed the police officers helping as many fans over the wall as they could. It wasn't that hard to notice that, seeing as how every officer within 50 yards from where I was doing the exact same thing xnodx

Appaholic
October 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM
You know, with those thousands upon thousands of unruly App fans marauding the sidelines, I don't recall a single incident occuring.....well, except for that Delaware player bouncing the football off of a cop's head.....if Safety is the NCAA's primary concernm, perhaps they should just ban Delaware football from any future title games......xwhistlex

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I was sitting down near that end zone and I clearly saw the security personnel motion for the ASU fans to come down the hill with more than three minutes left in the game.
I was in that end too. What I recall was the fans getting pushed off the hill by people behind them trying to get on the field and the cops having no choice but to release them from the hill. I'm just objecting to the notion that it was somehow the police's idea to have the fans come onto the field. That's just silly.

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I don't recall a single incident occuring.....
Mostly thanks to the UD coaches and police blocking the App fans from the end of the Delaware bench. xpeacex

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
BTW, just to clarify, I am on record immediately after the NC weekend as saying I really don't have a problem with the way the App fans acted after the game. I still don't. My only contention is that they were NOT somehow invited on the field as App fans are portraying here and that they were not completely sportsmanlike, nor was the team (as evidenced by AppSt twice having to kickoff from the 15 yard line). Mark Duncan from UD also showed poor sportsmanship with the football throw, but at least he acknowledged it and apologized for it. xpeacex

OldFootballGuy
October 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I was in that end too. What I recall was the fans getting pushed off the hill by people behind them trying to get on the field and the cops having no choice but to release them from the hill. I'm just objecting to the notion that it was somehow the police's idea to have the fans come onto the field. That's just silly.

I'm not an ASU fan, by the way. I live in the area and attend games at as many places as I can get to.

I saw the National Guard guys moving the little plastic barriers they had set up and they were clearly waving people forward down the hill. Call it silly if you will, but I know what I saw.

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
fans getting pushed off the hill by people behind them trying to get on the field and the cops having no choice but to release them from the hill.

I saw the National Guard guys moving the little plastic barriers they had set up and they were clearly waving people forward down the hill. Call it silly if you will, but I know what I saw.
So we agree. xthumbsupx

CharlestonAppFan
October 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Mostly thanks to the UD coaches and police blocking the App fans from the end of the Delaware bench. xpeacex

xeyebrowx I was right there at the end of the crowd near the bench....None of the Delaware coaches said or did anything to us to the effect of protecting their bench or players from us "angry and unruly mob of ASU fans". As far as the police, they didn't hold us back either.

Actually, everyone of us fans made sure collectively that no one ventured anywhere near the Delaware bench. So in a sense, we "policed" ourselves. Why would any of us want to go near a pissed off LB or DL with a helmet and pads on who just lost the NC game?

DrG
October 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I can't speak for last year other than what I saw on TV, but I thought the ASU fans were pretty well-behaved when they rushed the field after beating UMass the year before. I was even congratulating them as they walked down the aisle.

It is a bummer that they're stopping beer sales in the First Tennessee Pavilion. I thought that was a pretty cool scene.

OldFootballGuy
October 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
So we agree. xthumbsupx

No, we don't.xnonox

The barriers were being moved well before there was any movement toward the hill.

jbuggASU
October 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Added security would take care of the problem. I have never seen security on such a minimal level for an event of this size.

Skjellyfetti
October 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I blame Trey Elder for his 50 yard touchdown. xnonox ;)

People forget that's what sparked the celebration and people pouring over the wall and fence. It also caused Jerry Moore to run the length of the field and give Trey a hug... that resulted in a 15 yard penalty. Pretty sure that was the first and last time I ever see JM get flagged. Call Jerry Moore classless. xrolleyesx

Now, that doesn't excuse the reaction by the fans or Jerry by any means...

Also, why isn't this on the Smack Board yet? xmadx

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
It is a bummer that they're stopping beer sales in the First Tennessee Pavilion. I thought that was a pretty cool scene.
xoopsx Crap, I didn't read that part. That was a very cool place. :(

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM
No, we don't.xnonox

The barriers were being moved well before there was any movement toward the hill.
Says you. :p

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 10:03 AM
It also caused Jerry Moore to run the length of the field and give Trey a hug... that resulted in a 15 yard penalty. Pretty sure that was the first and last time I ever see JM get flagged. Call Jerry Moore classless. xrolleyesx

I guess I was drunk, because I clearly recall it being a bigger, younger coach who was first to run onto the field to greet Elder that resulted in the flag. xpeacex

Appaholic
October 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm not an ASU fan, by the way. I live in the area and attend games at as many places as I can get to.

I believe you are right....I remember telling Citdog the National Guard troops reminded of the Delaware Off Line....stepping aside and waving people through.......

yosef1969
A few things:

1) Invited or not our fans shouldn't have been on the field prior to the end of the game, we should condemn it, not rationalize it.

2) Obviously they need better crowd control policies but they are also aware that if ASU isn't there no other team (except possibly GSU and Montana) will bring a crowd big enough to merit concerns on how to control it.

3) Taunted by the band??? Seriously, who cares what a bunch of band geeks have to say?

4) , The incident in Chatty never should have happened but went to the ASU/JMU game this year in Harrisonburg and lots of things I saw in there shouldn't have happened either. Point is wrong is wrong, you can condemn one and justify the other if you want, just makes you a hypocrit.

89Hen
I guess I was drunk, because I clearly recall it being a bigger, younger coach who was first to run onto the field to greet Elder that resulted in the flag. xpeacex
Nope. Not drunk afterall... 4:08 mark of video. Coach in white shirt and khakis... flag comes in immediately. xpeacex

Skjellyfetti
October 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Nope. Not drunk afterall... 4:08 mark of video. Coach in white shirt and khakis... flag comes in immediately. xpeacex

There was more than one flag... I don't know for a fact JM was flagged... but we kicked off from the 7 1/2 I believe.

Regardless of whether he was flagged or not... he did run the length of the sideline to give Trey a hug near the endzone. Just shows how emotional that moment was.

EmeryZach
October 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
App State fans have to ruin it for everyone else. xthumbsupx

Appaholic
October 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
App State fans have to ruin it for everyone else. xthumbsupx

Another bitter, humiliated foe......

EmeryZach
October 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Another bitter, humiliated foe......

Not as humiliated as Delaware. Atleast we kept it close. Plus I'm not bitter, in fact I love rushing the field. I wish I could have, instead of just walking back to my car and driving 18 hours home unhappy.

jstate83
October 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
There were 23 to 25 thousand at Chatty last year.
If they don't let fan's sit on the "hill", how much of a reduction in ticket sales are we talking by eliminating fan's sitting on the hill.

A couple hundred or a couple thousand?
Anybody know?

EmeryZach
October 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
They said 1000 in the article if I remember correctly.

appmaj
October 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
xrolleyesx

I bet you think football was invented in 2005, too.

xrolleyesx

That doesnt even make sense.

uofmman1122
October 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM
xrolleyesx

That doesnt even make sense.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
October 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM
He thinks Appalachian didn't have a quality football team until 2005. xrolleyesx xlolx

BTW... MODS... can we move this to smack??

89Hen
October 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I'm having trouble understanding why any of this would be considered smack. Seriously. xconfusedx

Appaholic
October 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'm having trouble understanding why any of this would be considered smack. Seriously. xconfusedx

Yeah....it's not really Smack if I say that Delaware played like a bunch of women in last year's NC and JMU believes their victory over ASU for the first time this century entitles them an autobid to this year's NC game.....xsmiley_wix

jus10asu
October 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I blame Trey Elder for his 50 yard touchdown. xnonox ;)

People forget that's what sparked the celebration and people pouring over the wall and fence. It also caused Jerry Moore to run the length of the field and give Trey a hug... that resulted in a 15 yard penalty. Pretty sure that was the first and last time I ever see JM get flagged. Call Jerry Moore classless. xrolleyesx

Also, why isn't this on the Smack Board yet? xmadx

Thank You!!! That is exactly what caused it and I was on the hill and pushed down to the field. As a matter of fact there was a police officer standing with us on around the field joking and picking around with us.

FCS Go!
October 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I agree that this thread reeks of Apphate but those defending the crowding of the sidelines need to explain how it doesn't reflect poor sportsmanship and no-class fans. I realize that we are talking about college students here but that doesn't give them free reign to act like boors.

neersnbeers
October 9th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Its was a bad choice. Our bad. Move on.

Appaholic
October 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I agree that this thread reeks of Apphate but those defending the crowding of the sidelines need to explain how it doesn't reflect poor sportsmanship and no-class fans. I realize that we are talking about college students here but that doesn't give them free reign to act like boors.

You're right.....it's about as bad as piling on....I've apologized for our fans behavior, but the piling continues....

AshevilleApp2
October 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
This issue was covered enough months ago.

McTailGator
October 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Stupid. Elimnating seating to control fans? Fans left the regular seating areas too.

The NCAA is horrible.

Let's not allow any clapping, or talking at football games.

Let's make it like tennis or golf...

NO FUN

Do they not know how to erect a barricade?

WTF!xmadx

GannonFan
October 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Added security would take care of the problem. I have never seen security on such a minimal level for an event of this size.

Absoultely spot on. This has nothing to do with the fact that many of the fans last year were from Appy St - Delaware fans did many of the same things Appy St fans did, they were just outnumbered in doing so because there were fewer there.

They never should've had that many people on that little hill in the endzone - it was basically like having people on the field as the only separation from the field was a tiny brick wall you could step down from.

The banning of alcohol sales from the Pavillion is absolutely silly. Compared to the amount of alcohol being consumed all around the parking lots, the amount of alcohol in the Pavillion was next to nothing. The lots were jammed full by noon and people were drinking long, long before that. I've been to Wing Bowls in Philadelphia, where people start tailgating at 9PM for a wing eating contest at 8AM the next morning (and 22k people go to Wing Bowls), and I have to call it a tie for the amount of drinking being done between those two events.

The security letting people into the stadium were the most ill-prepared, least observant security I've ever seen in my life. Openly drunk and staggering people were let in, and some were almost carried in by their less-drunk friends. Not to mention the alcohol that was brought into the stadium in various containers. Considering that I get my babies's diaper bag thoroughly searched at Delaware games (while holding said baby and other children while it's being checked) I'm amazed that pretty much anything was able to be brought into the stadium.

I thought Chatty was a great place to have the game, but there are certainly downsides to it. There's nothing to do once you get to the stadium other than tailgate or go to the bars down there, so drinking is almost the only release for some people. And opening the lots as early as they do pretty much ensures people will drink from dawn until game time. And if security isn't better, that will just spill into the stadium as it did last year.

DLS
October 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah....it's not really Smack if I say that Delaware played like a bunch of women in last year's NC and JMU believes their victory over ASU for the first time this century entitles them an autobid to this year's NC game.....xsmiley_wix

ok now this has officially become smack.

(p.s. its funny because its true)

dennisdent
October 9th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I know in 2006 I was ready to rush the field if we had won—would've been lonely though...Seriously , the App fans around me were a good group overall.

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Along with the link to the article I changed the thread starting post to:
"This is the result of thousands of fans crowding the field 3+ min of game time before the game before the game ended." Thats not smack.

Whether or not they were waved, encouraged, or let down, whether or not there was adequate security, and whether or not this is a knee jerk response, this is whats being done as a result of what happened with the crowd.

The article shouldn't be moved to the smack board because has relevant information for the fans of whatever 2 teams make it to the NC game: about 1k less tickets available for this year's (and I'm assuming future years') NC games, an ending of beer sales at the Pavilion, and other changes.

Last season the official attendance at the NC game was 23,010. (That comes from ASU's website). Finley Stadium Davenport Field's official listed capacity is 20,668 according to the Chattanooga website. I'm assuming attendance at any games from here on out will be no more than, even if one of the teams was ASU or GSU.

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
There were 23 to 25 thousand at Chatty last year.
If they don't let fan's sit on the "hill", how much of a reduction in ticket sales are we talking by eliminating fan's sitting on the hill.

A couple hundred or a couple thousand?
Anybody know?

Last season the official attendance at the NC game was 23,010. (That comes from ASU's website). Finley Stadium Davenport Field's official listed capacity is 20,668 according to the Chattanooga website. I'm assuming attendance at any games from here on out will be no more than about 22k, regardless of what teams are playing.

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
2) Obviously they need better crowd control policies but they are also aware that if ASU isn't there no other team (except possibly GSU and Montana) will bring a crowd big enough to merit concerns on how to control it.

At the JMU-Montana NC game in 04' the official attendance was listed at 16,771. I was under the impression that JMU and Montana each had about 7 k fans, give or take, and several k locals and non affiliated. Montana's fan support is incredible- as I recall I heard they chartered 20 some airliners to fly fans to Chatty in 04'. But they are 2000+ miles from Chattanooga, and would be hard pressed to bring over 10k fans. I would say besides ASU (#1 in 08' attendance) the other 2 teams would be GSU (#8) and YSU (#10) YSU has the fanbase, history, and about 640 miles from Chatty. (I'm sure if GSU & YSU were doing better they'd have the higher attendance they've had in the past.)

After ASU, GSU, and YSU Your next 3 in terms of fan travel potential to Chatty would probably be Montana (#3), UD (#4), and JMU (#9).
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

PantherRob82
October 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM
This issue was covered enough months ago.

The issue of them changing policies this week? xconfusedx

AshevilleApp2
October 10th, 2008, 07:16 AM
The issue of them changing policies this week? xconfusedx

No. The App fan lack of class issue. Thanks for getting me to clarify though. xthumbsupx

Rekdiver
October 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
If you think banning alcohol sale at the pavillion will make a difference then you didn't spend any time in the parking lot....

Sell the extra tickets and pay for enough security to keep people off the field. Quite frankly unless you have one team where fans can drive like we did you won't have the crowd to deal with.

The locals don't attend the game. The Southern Conference Basketball Tourney is now in Chattanooga. It was in Charleston...At least there was something to do in charleston and it was WARM.

Time to move the football to another city. Where?

Sounds like the JMU Band thinks they are tough. Who has the band that talks the most smack in FCS?

BlueHen86
October 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
No. The App fan lack of class issue. Thanks for getting me to clarify though. xthumbsupx
I didn't mind your fans on our sideline last year, I did mind your players in our endzone.xlolx

Appstate29
October 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think this has been blown way-over proportion by at least 100 fold. I've seen numerous examples of college fans getting on the field before the end of the game since this title game. In fact, none of them were in title games either (USC-OSU comes to mind). Nobody has said anything about them. At least our game was in hand when we got on the field. It's just ridiculous. I would rather our fans treat the UDel players and fans with respect and rush the field then treat them like **** and stay in the stands (obviously we still have some work there too).

T-Dog
October 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I remember watching the end of the Oregon State/USC game and seeing the sideline reporter getting pushed several times while trying to report on the sidelines and one could see she was a bit nervous with all the students around. Where's the outrage there?

fjblair
October 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM

This is the result of thousands of fans crowding the field 3+ min of game time before the game before the game ended.

Big deal. You won't ever have to worry about it.

ASU
October 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Personally I applaud our fans for their enthusiasm.

A really sad day in college football when other teams complain about
the fans from another team storming the field after winning their
third straight national championship.

Kind of sounds like the NFL not letting players celebrate their touchdowns except by being polite and handing the ball to the referee.
Get over it folks....and if you can't get over it......get _______

DLS
October 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Kind of sounds like the NFL not letting players celebrate their touchdowns except by being polite and handing the ball to the referee.
Get over it folks....and if you can't get over it......get _______

im all for celebrating touchdowns but when some thug starts busting out choreography it starts to get a little ridiculous.

biggie
October 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
im all for celebrating touchdowns but when some thug starts busting out choreography it starts to get a little ridiculous.
Its still entertainment, that's what we pay for. Without the Icky Shuffle where would our lives be today? Worse off I say.

appvette
October 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I didn't mind your fans on our sideline last year, I did mind your players in our endzone.xlolx

xlolx

neersnbeers
October 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM

I think App had two endzones that night.

yosef1969
October 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM

"After" is the key word. I'm not a fan of rushing the field period, it's a by product of the "look at me world" we live in but that's at least acceptable.

Running on to the field/sidelines with 3+ minutes left should never happen is disrespectful.

gasou4389
October 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
On a related note, what do you think attendance would be if ASU and GSU played in a NC. Assuming it was in a bigger stadium.

Appguy
October 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
indeed, there are risks taken by fans rushing the field. I for one got layed out by a Richmond starting OLineman while watching the goalpost go down. I wasn't in his way as much as he just wanted to shove me down but thats the risk you take for being on the turf. had it been a child/elderly/woman it would be a different story though.