PDA

View Full Version : Yale-Army, maybe?

bulldog10jw
October 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'll believe it when it happens. You know, the old fool me once, etc.

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

Updating a report in Sunday's Register, Yale and Holy Cross will indeed play in the future. The teams have met 13 times in the last 17 years but were taken off the schedule so Yale could negotiate a series with Army. A four-game series between 2010-14 was planned between Yale and Army before Army had second thoughts because games against Ivy League schools do not count towards bowl eligibility. A Yale official told me that the 2014 game between Yale and Army at the Yale Bowl is still on the schedule and Holy Cross will be added to the schedule again beginning in 2016.

dbackjon
October 8th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Positive thinking by Army, thinking that can beat 5 Division I teams in a season to even have to worry about beating an FCS team, counter or not.

YaleFootballFan
October 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'll believe it when it happens. You know, the old fool me once, etc.

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

Updating a report in Sunday's Register, Yale and Holy Cross will indeed play in the future. The teams have met 13 times in the last 17 years but were taken off the schedule so Yale could negotiate a series with Army. A four-game series between 2010-14 was planned between Yale and Army before Army had second thoughts because games against Ivy League schools do not count towards bowl eligibility. A Yale official told me that the 2014 game between Yale and Army at the Yale Bowl is still on the schedule and Holy Cross will be added to the schedule again beginning in 2016.

I know Yale officials have been working very hard in trying to get a marque home game for the 2014 season - the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl. Harvard is away that year which means the only other "big" home game that year is Princeton.

Let's hope the Army game does happens. I can see 60,000 pack the Bowl for that game.

Husky Alum
October 9th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I know Yale officials have been working very hard in trying to get a marque home game for the 2014 season - the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl. Harvard is away that year which means the only other "big" home game that year is Princeton.

Let's hope the Army game does happens. I can see 60,000 pack the Bowl for that game.

I'd come back and relive my youth and work as an usher at that game if Army came to town!

The 1980 game against Air Force and the Entire 1981 Season were certainly memorable - the Navy game in 81 was something that stuck in my mind for a LONG time.

Ivytalk
October 9th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Harvard and Army had a home-and-home in the early 80s. I'd love to see that series renewed.

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
It is about time that the vaunted Ivy League and the PFL band together and work to get rid of the current corrupt rules that the NCAA employs relative to FBS playing FCS.... Does anyone here honestly think that Campbell is going to go out and schedule a money game with Florida State? Now, Yale / Army would be a competitive game. Dayton / Temple would be a competitive game. USD / San Diego State would be a competitive game.... I am sick and tired of the corrupt NCAA penalizing the teams of the PFL and Ivy League!

Of course both leagues are well known for doing virtually nothing other than pretending that they are some unique level of college football....

bonarae
October 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
It is about time that the vaunted Ivy League and the PFL band together and work to get rid of the current corrupt rules that the NCAA employs relative to FBS playing FCS.... Does anyone here honestly think that Campbell is going to go out and schedule a money game with Florida State? Now, Yale / Army would be a competitive game. Dayton / Temple would be a competitive game. USD / San Diego State would be a competitive game.... I am sick and tired of the corrupt NCAA penalizing the teams of the PFL and Ivy League!

Of course both leagues are well known for doing virtually nothing other than pretending that they are some unique level of college football....

Agree 110%! It's really time for the Ivies to go out and play some diverse brand of football. Let's begin with playing the PFL first and then moving up to the playoff conferences' top teams like Wofford, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Montana, etc...

And after playing the said set of teams above, playing an FBS may be readied only at that time. Possible combinations: Cornell/Syracuse, Harvard/Stanford and Boston College, Yale/UConn (renewal of another rivalry), Penn/Penn State (now PA football would be that interesting), Princeton/Rutgers and many more I can't list them all here.

Just a general question. Why do some FCS teams play D-II and D-III teams in football, while the Ivies don't? Harvard and MIT may make a good rivalry in football.

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Just a general question. Why do some FCS teams play D-II and D-III teams in football, while the Ivies don't? Harvard and MIT may make a good rivalry in football.

MIT could not stay on the field with Harvard, much less that Wesleyan could compete with Yale.

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Agree 110%! It's really time for the Ivies to go out and play some diverse brand of football. Let's begin with playing the PFL first and then moving up to the playoff conferences' top teams like Wofford, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Montana, etc...

And after playing the said set of teams above, playing an FBS may be readied only at that time. Possible combinations: Cornell/Syracuse, Harvard/Stanford and Boston College, Yale/UConn (renewal of another rivalry), Penn/Penn State (now PA football would be that interesting), Princeton/Rutgers and many more I can't list them all here.

Many folks in FCS are simply not fans of playing games against "lower division" teams.... I think that the NEC for example actually has a rule limiting the number of sub-Division I games the conference can play.... Teams from autobid conferences seem to get away with it because their conference schedule is perceived to be difficult.

Frankly, it is simply funny to watch FCS fans salivate over the prospect of playing an FBS team while at the same time watching these same fans complain about sub-Division I games.

Since the Ivy League only plays a 10 game schedule, my guess is that it is very easy to find Division I teams for the OOC games. Harvard / MIT? Actually that sounds like a game that could in fact be interesting. I'm sure the two schools recruit some of the same players.... I know of a player on the Dayton team that turned down a full, academic ride to Carnegie Mellon to play football and get his engineering degree from Dayton. Dayton was also able to offer him a nice academic scholarship. I have to think that similar things happen with Harvard and MIT.

henfan
October 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Frankly, it is simply funny to watch FCS fans salivate over the prospect of playing an FBS team while at the same time watching these same fans complain about sub-Division I games.

Yup, those people certainly exist.

But not every FCS fan approves of playing games outside of the sub-division and many others have no objection to their school playing both D-II and FBS teams in the same season. Educated fans are smart enough to recognize the competitive nuiances and varying levels of institutional support within the various NCAA divisions and subdivisions.

That said, Yale-Army would be a good matchup for both schools.

UAalum72
October 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I think that the NEC for example actually has a rule limiting the number of sub-Division I games the conference can play....
I've never heard even a rumor that it was a rule. Of course it would never have been necessary when there were seven or eight MAAC teams around.

danefan
October 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I've never heard even a rumor that it was a rule. Of course it would never have been necessary when there were seven or eight MAAC teams around.

Not a rule of the NEC, but one I wish they had.

Husky Alum
October 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM

You've got a ready and willing FCS opponent on the other side of the river who will gladly come to your facility EVERY year, and with the right weather (which we never had in the last series, unfortunately), you'll get a 15-20K gate. Y'all don't want to do it.

Go...gate
October 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Wonderful in concept but that ship has long sailed due to the "need-based" bogie and the fact that such schools are not "counters" for FBS bowl eligibility. If this rule(s) were changed, it would ne very interesting.

98hoya
October 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Dayton / Temple would be a competitive game.

Dude, are you high?

YaleFootballFan
October 9th, 2008, 10:05 PM
The 1980 game against Air Force and the Entire 1981 Season were certainly memorable - the Navy game in 81 was something that stuck in my mind for a LONG time.

Perhaps Yale's three biggest non-Ivy wins in the modern era all came at the Yale Bowl - nationally ranked Army (1955), Air Force (1980) and Liberty Bowl bound Navy (1981). Certainly all memorable games.

Yale's win over UConn in 1994 deserves honorable mention.

bulldog10jw
October 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Perhaps Yale's three biggest non-Ivy wins in the modern era all came at the Yale Bowl - nationally ranked Army (1955), Air Force (1980) and Liberty Bowl bound Navy (1981). Certainly all memorable games.

As does Yale over UConn in 1987. One of Yale's two miracle wins that year. (The other was Penn)

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2008, 05:47 AM
[QUOTE=98hoya;1143368]Dude, are you high?[/QUOTE

Dude, do you know anything about Temple?

Husky Alum
October 10th, 2008, 06:31 AM

I have Rich Diana's chinstrap (autographed) from the Navy game.

He did some work on my knee before I went to NU. He was an intern at Yale-New Haven back then and told me "walking is a little more important than football" when I decided to forego college football

bulldog10jw
October 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I have Rich Diana's chinstrap (autographed) from the Navy game.

He did some work on my knee before I went to NU. He was an intern at Yale-New Haven back then and told me "walking is a little more important than football" when I decided to forego college football

I had heard that Diana gave up football because when he was playing on the kickoff team for the Dolphins, someone stepped on his hand. Since he wanted to be a surgeon, he figured he wasn't going to take any chances with his hands.

98hoya
October 10th, 2008, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=98hoya;1143368]Dude, are you high?[/QUOTE

Dude, do you know anything about Temple?

Yes, I do. I know they have two wins against 1-A opponents this year and another three losses to 1-A teams by a combined 9 points.

What I know about Dayton is that they are a non-scholarship team that lost to Duquesne. Their only other win against an opponent I've heard of was past a mid/low-pack Patriot League team (Fordham), but I hardly think sneaking past mediocre non-scholarship 1-AA teams would make Dayton competitive with a 1-A team.

If you believe in objective criteria (as objective as such a thing could be), if Dayton were to play Temple, Sagarin would make Temple a 25 point favorite. And that's if the game were at a neutral site. If it was at Temple (because I think we can all agree no 1-A team is going to travel to Dayton of all places to play a 1-AA team), the Owls would be a solid 28 point favorite.

In other words, I know it's fun to root for your team, but get a reality check.

appfan2008
October 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
that sure would be special to have army come to town for the 100th for the bowl

94Terrier
October 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I don't know enough about the Ivies, but can only speak about that which I can relate. Wofford, besides it's money game against a FBS team, will generally play out of conference against a more local FCS team, or a D-II team due to location, ability of fans to travel, and budget. It aggrevates me year in and year out that we don't play a tougher out of conference schedule (maybe a CAA team), but our financial resources are limited. We also had established "rivalries" against some of the more local D-II teams before we moved up to FCS, therefore reviving that rivalry every now and then isn't that bad.

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=DetroitFlyer;1143559]

Yes, I do. I know they have two wins against 1-A opponents this year and another three losses to 1-A teams by a combined 9 points.

What I know about Dayton is that they are a non-scholarship team that lost to Duquesne. Their only other win against an opponent I've heard of was past a mid/low-pack Patriot League team (Fordham), but I hardly think sneaking past mediocre non-scholarship 1-AA teams would make Dayton competitive with a 1-A team.

If you believe in objective criteria (as objective as such a thing could be), if Dayton were to play Temple, Sagarin would make Temple a 25 point favorite. And that's if the game were at a neutral site. If it was at Temple (because I think we can all agree no 1-A team is going to travel to Dayton of all places to play a 1-AA team), the Owls would be a solid 28 point favorite.

In other words, I know it's fun to root for your team, but get a reality check.

Wow, the vaunted Temple program would be a full 28 point favorite over the Flyers? Gee, I'm sure glad that we do not have any games in FCS week in and week out that have a team favored by 28 points.... Talk about getting a reality check.... I did not say Dayton would kick Temple's butt. I said the game would be competitive! You also fail to mention that 2008 is actually one of Temple's best seasons in recent memory. ANY, and let me repeat this for you, ANY FCS versus FBS game is a stretch game for the FCS program. ANY FCS win over an FBS team is an upset. Dayton playing Temple would be as competitive as virtually every game that FCS will play against FBS this season. Don't believe me? Look at the results for 2008 thus far. Getting back on topic, Army would be favored over Yale. Still, the game would be competitive and it is possible that Yale could upset Army.

98hoya
October 10th, 2008, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=98hoya;1143725]

Wow, the vaunted Temple program would be a full 28 point favorite over the Flyers? Gee, I'm sure glad that we do not have any games in FCS week in and week out that have a team favored by 28 points.... Talk about getting a reality check.... I did not say Dayton would kick Temple's butt. I said the game would be competitive! You also fail to mention that 2008 is actually one of Temple's best seasons in recent memory. ANY, and let me repeat this for you, ANY FCS versus FBS game is a stretch game for the FCS program. ANY FCS win over an FBS team is an upset. Dayton playing Temple would be as competitive as virtually every game that FCS will play against FBS this season. Don't believe me? Look at the results for 2008 thus far. Getting back on topic, Army would be favored over Yale. Still, the game would be competitive and it is possible that Yale could upset Army.

Yes, Army-Yale would be competitive, I agree. It's just that Yale is way, way, way (add about more "ways") better than Dayton.

YaleFootballFan
October 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
As does Yale over UConn in 1987. One of Yale's two miracle wins that year. (The other was Penn)

Yale also had a come from behind win over William & Mary that year. Tailback Mike Stewart threw a TD pass to Dean Athanasia with about 20 seconds left to steal the win at the Bowl.

Gosh I remember the '87 season like it was yesterday. What a fun season that was!

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
[quote=DetroitFlyer;1143844]

Yes, Army-Yale would be competitive, I agree. It's just that Yale is way, way, way (add about more "ways") better than Dayton.

Really?

What makes you think that? Because they play in the PFL?

Last time Yale played a PFL team they got killed by San Diego in 2006 (43-17 at the Yale Bowl). Yale ended up 8-2 that year and Ivy league champs.xcoffeex

biobengal
October 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Army's decent from the national stage is complete. At this time they should be thinking of solutions that will make them relevant again.... without regard to the level of competition. IMO, Army could get away with straddling the line, playing 4-5 FCS in a year and creating their own post-season classic...... they would make a bowl game every year. ;)

danefan
October 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Army's decent from the national stage is complete. At this time they should be thinking of solutions that will make them relevant again.... without regard to the level of competition. IMO, Army could get away with straddling the line, playing 4-5 FCS in a year and creating their own post-season classic...... they would make a bowl game every year. ;)

They should just consider the Commander in Chief trophy their national championship.

Schedule, VMI and The Citadel every year.

And play some bad MAC and Sun Belt teams.

They'll get hurt recruiting, but then again, that wouldn't be any different then its been for the last 20 years.