PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you think a 7-4 team will get in?

GSU Eagle
November 4th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I know the committee changed the rules a bit by saying the minimum standard now is 7 1AA wins, but I will be very surprised if a 7-4 team makes it when there are available 8-3 teams out there.

One thing I will say the GPI is probably the best indicator of at-large teams. More than anything else it is a fairly accurate predictor of which at-large teams get in.

FU97
November 4th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I can see a 7-4 team getting in over an 8-3 team if the 7-4 team has 2 I-A losses

LacesOut
November 4th, 2005, 01:16 PM
If they are a conference winner in a league with an auto bid, then yes. Otherwise, it will be a difficult task to accomplish.

SeattleGriz
November 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
If any team has a good chance, I think it should be Portland State. They will have lost to I-A's Boise State (21-14) and Oregon State (41-14). And the I-AA losses are to Montana and Eastern Washington.

LacesOut
November 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I know the committee changed the rules a bit by saying the minimum standard now is 7 1AA wins, but I will be very surprised if a 7-4 team makes it when there are available 8-3 teams out there.

One thing I will say the GPI is probably the best indicator of at-large teams. More than anything else it is a fairly accurate predictor of which at-large teams get in.

Why? Does GSU have 3 losses?? (how the hell do you spell that word?)l

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I can see a 7-4 team getting in over an 8-3 team if the 7-4 team has 2 I-A losses

I wouldn't go that far. If the team lost to two I-A's but put up a good fight then they get in. It is hard to judge a team when they lose to I-A's, especially to the big boys like Texas Tech. ;)

I think a 7-4 team with two closely fought I-A games gets in over a 8-3 team with a questionable schedule.

putter
November 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM
It will also depend upon who is left standing over the last 3 weeks. It may be a situation where a 7-4 team will get in an not even be on the bubble.

HensRock
November 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM
If any team has a good chance, I think it should be Portland State. They will have lost to I-A's Boise State (21-14) and Oregon State (41-14). And the I-AA losses are to Montana and Eastern Washington.

Either them or App State.

LacesOut
November 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
A 7-4 App State, a 7-4 Portland State, or a 9-2 SC State??? Hmmm, I'd have to take App State.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Too much history here. Only 7-4 teams getting in are the autobids.

grizband
November 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I think if PSU wins out, they would make a good case. They have 4 losses, yes, but they lost to 2 I-A, and 2 top tier I-AA. They also beat MSU, another good I-AA. They have a start player on the Payton watchlist (this might help them?). They are a good team. Although, this is entirely dependent on how they finish, and how other schools around the country finish the season.

SeattleGriz
November 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
A 7-4 App State, a 7-4 Portland State, or a 9-2 SC State??? Hmmm, I'd have to take App State.

I don't think App State applies to this question. They will lose to LSU and that will be it. They finish at 8-3 with two I-A losses.

ASU Kep
November 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Sorta weird that a GSU fan is creating this thread already...why not just BEAT FURMAN, and not have to worry bout the whole four-loss thing? Sound pretty easy to me. Please do it.

And btw, App State is not *completely* out of the woods after this game, considering WCU next weekend. Granted most people on here don't have any respect for WCU but they are a decent team and want more than anything to retain the jug. As we pretty much always have them outgunned coming in, they usually make a game of it, though the series W-L record doesn't realy reflect that. The one thing that makes me very comfortable 'bout this one is the homefield, and it being the senior's last *regular-season* home game. The crowd'll be intense.

After that, yah, I'll go out on a limb and say Elon's not going to beat us.

GrizSweeper
November 4th, 2005, 06:07 PM
dont forget about a 7-4 Montana State or Eastern Washington, what do you think about those two?

Tribe4SF
November 4th, 2005, 08:54 PM
dont forget about a 7-4 Montana State or Eastern Washington, what do you think about those two?

Maybe Montana State, but EWU would only have 6 Div. I wins.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2005, 08:59 PM
7-4.........GETS YA INTA CRAPSVILLE.......'LES.......IT'S UH AUTO-BID CONF........CHAMP!...........:twocents:........... ER...UH...UM...AWK!

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I said this is another thread......there are going to be some rock-star teams this year with 7-4 records.....and many pissed off ppl.