PDA

View Full Version : Rank the teams in the SoCon

woffordgrad94
October 7th, 2008, 08:20 PM
As we all know, the SoCon is a very tough football conference with six very good teams in it. I also think that, while in no way a contender for the conference title, Samford has been somewhat better than expected. They have turned out to be an okay addition to the conference. There is a lot of football to be played, and the top six teams will probably be beating each other up all season. But if you had to rank the teams right now, how would you rank them (unbiased)? And who from the conference will get playoff berths?

My rankings:

1. APPALACHIAN STATE (defending champs have got to be #1 until someone in conference beats them)
2. ELON (that win over Furman was very impressive)
3. WOFFORD (wingbone makes them tough, but you can gain yards on them; needs to be able to put teams away better)
4. FURMAN (most improved team in conference over 2007, but Elon showed that they are vulnerable)
5. GEORGIA SOUTHERN (it wll be tough to make the playoffs now with two conference losses already)
6. THE CITADEL (laid an egg at Kidd Brewer, but capable of beating anyone in the conference on any given Saturday)
7. SAMFORD (a pleasant surprise...can give the big boys a few problems)
8. CHATTANOOGA (the bottom two are kind of interchangeable)
9. WESTERN CAROLINA (these guys have a long year ahead...very little progress is being made)

Playoff berths: Appalachian, Elon, Wofford, and maybe Furman if they want to let 4 SoCon teams in

beauvighn
October 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Right now I would go with:
1.App. St
2.Wofford
3.Elon
4.Citadel
5.Furman
6.GSU
7.Samford
8.Chatt
9.WCU

Playoff teams: AppSt., Wofford, Elon. The selection comm. leaves a 4th SoCon team at home so they can send someone to JMU to get beat by 40 pts

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
As we all know, the SoCon is a very tough football conference with six very good teams in it. I also think that, while in no way a contender for the conference title, Samford has been somewhat better than expected. They have turned out to be an okay addition to the conference. There is a lot of football to be played, and the to six teams wil probably be beating each other up all season. But if you had to rank the teams right now, how would you rank them (unbiased)? And who from the conference will get playoff berths?

My rankings:

1. APPALACHIAN STATE (defending champs have got to be #1 until someone in conference beats them)
2. ELON (that win over Furman was very impressive)
3. WOFFORD (wingbone makes them tough, but you can gain yards on them; needs to be able to put teams away better)
4. FURMAN (most improved team in conference over 2007, but Elon showed that they are vulnerable)
5. GEORGIA SOUTHERN (it wll be tough to make the playoffs now with two conference losses already)
6. THE CITADEL (laid an egg at Kidd Brewer, but capable of beating anyone in the conference on any given Saturday)
7. SAMFORD (a pleasant surprise...can give the big boys a few problems)
8. CHATTANOOGA (the bottom two are kind of interchangeable)
9. WESTERN CAROLINA (these guys have a long year ahead...very little progress is being made)

Playoff berths: Appalachian, Elon, Wofford, and maybe Furman if they want to let 4 SoCon teams in

1.Elon (If they beat the Citadel just punch the playoff ticket)
2.App
3.Wofford
4.GSUxeekx xeekx
5.Furman
6.The Citadel
7.Samford
8.WCU (they appear to have more heart to me)
9.Chatty

the top 3 get in the playoffs. 1 and 2 interchangeable at this point. GSU has a lot of talent and if they win out they get in the playoffs. Wofford needs a big win. Furman can sneek in the playoffs (4, 5, and 6 are interchangeable).Samford could finish higher. Western is a year away from being in the middle of the pack. I ranked Elon higher because they have the best chance of making the playoffs if they don't screw up.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
1. App State (still dominating teams at home)
2. Elon (just as good offensively and actually play defense this year)
3. Wofford (quietly putting together a nice season)
4. Furman (extremely dangerous team for the rest of the conference)
5. GSU (can't figure em out)
6. The Citadel (done nothing impressive so far)
7. Samford (nice win early, still a long way to go)
8. UTC (can play well for a half)
9. WCU (not this year)

There's no team on the outside right now. Every SoCon team but WCU and UTC are still alive for a playoff berth. Every week will be a big week.

Syntax Error
October 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
2. Southern Conference (27.97)
3. Appalachian St (4.50)
9T. Wofford (10.50)
11. Elon (10.88)
15. Furman (15.75)
24T. Ga Southern (24.88)
29T. The Citadel (28.50)
47T. Samford (40.25)
77. Chattanooga (57.75)
81. W Carolina (58.75)

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-gridiron-power-index-gpi-debuts-wit-1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
1. App State (still dominating teams at home)
2. Elon (just as good offensively and actually play defense this year)
3. Wofford (quietly putting together a nice season)
4. Furman (extremely dangerous team for the rest of the conference)
5. GSU (can't figure em out)
6. The Citadel (done nothing impressive so far)
7. Samford (nice win early, still a long way to go)
8. UTC (can play well for a half)
9. WCU (not this year)

There's no team on the outside right now. Every SoCon team but WCU and UTC are still alive for a playoff berth. Every week will be a big week.

Samford's out too (need's to win out and hasn't played App, Woco, Furman, The Citadel, and GSu)

Jiggs
October 7th, 2008, 09:32 PM
1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. Samford
6. GSU
7. The Citadel
8. WCU
9. UTC

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM
1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. Samford
6. GSU
7. The Citadel
8. WCU
9. UTC

that's not too far fetched, but remember you've only played 2 conference games;)

beauvighn
October 7th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Samford could play both teams non stop for an entire week and not beat Le Citadel or GSU

BULLDOG8180
October 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Still too early to make a rational rating, so I will stick with what feels good:
1. ASU (when Armanti is healthy, nearly unbeatable)
2. Wofford (Coach Ayers makes a young and somewhat inexperienced team, very good)
3. The Citadel (will bounce back from poor performance at ASU- refuse to loose to Elon)
4. Elon (primed to stumble)
5. Furman
6. GSU
7. Samford
8. UTC
9. WCU

hippy@GSU
October 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Samford could play both teams non stop for an entire week and not beat Le Citadel or GSU

That is good to hear. But her it goes...

1. App. St.-- Well, until they are knocked off, they are the numero uno. The other hippies have a good QB and just a damn good team.
2. Wofford-- The option is working its magic and wofford runs it well. Any team with at least halfway decent players at the positions, but executes the option well, will be at the top of any conference. Wofford also passed on us pretty well, that can be a gamebreaker(GSU says xbawlingx )
2. Elon-- The duo of Hudgins and Riddle are an impressive given, but the running game has been a secret weapon that keeps opposing teams honest. They are not the Elon of past and they are making their mark right in front of our eyes.
4. GSU-- Maybe I am a homer, but I see good things. This team that was cast into the depths( I know the season isnt over) has been beaten by a total of 3 points to Elon and Wofford and then demolished UTC. The team is starting to Gel and has 2 weeks to prepare for App. GSU seems to be getting better and better.
5.Furman-- Furman has surprised me, but I do not see them finishing strong. AND I CAN NEVER PUT THEM AHEAD OF GSU!!! IT IS JUST AGAINST EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER KNOWN!!!;)
6. The Citadel-- Have some good wins, but have some bad ones too. I cant see The Citadel finishing strong either. No Playoffs.
7.Samford--Well what a little surprise that you have been (so far). I just knew before the season that Samford would be the doormat of doormats, but they are exceeding expectations. Keep it up and help make the SoCon even stronger!
8.Western Carolina--Wagner has inherited a mess and looks like he is busting his a$$ to right the ship. WCU is on the way up, but not now.
9. UTC-- Insert generic factless Sarah Palin comment here.
10. The Village People (They would be #1 in the CAA)

GATA
October 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
1. Appalachian State - no brainer here. 3 time defending national champions and Armanti Edwards at QB makes them the clear favorite.
2. Wofford - I think the fact they never turn the ball over and control the clock so well makes them tough to beat when they get rolling.
3. Elon - Awesome passing duo of Riddle and Hudgens and an improved running game and defense. Lembo is a good coach
4. Furman - Tough loss against Elon but I think Furman has bounced back nicely this year and looks like they'll make a playoff push. Nice win over Delaware too.
5. Georgia Southern - The teams got lots of new talent...but you never know what you're gonna get from week to week. The defense especially can bet AWFUL in one half and fantastic in the next...
6. The Citadel - I really only put them here because I think they were actually better last year when they had Duran Lawson at QB. Similar to GSU, could probably beat anybody in the conference on the right day.
7. Samford - When you look at the statistics, they have the best defense in the SOCON and they run the ball well. That's a recipe for success in my book.
8. Western Carolina - I actually feel like this team is improving and they'll get better under their new coach. Like somebody else said...It actually looks like their team is trying.
9. UT-Chattanooga - This team seems to have a bunch of talent, but when you watch them it just seems like they can't get it together. Unlike Western Carolina, sometimes it seems like they just quit.

theasushow
October 7th, 2008, 11:26 PM
1.ASU- Their schedule makes it hard for them not to be the favorite.
2.ELON- Coming on strong, lets see how they respond when they are EXPECTED to win. Should be a lock for a playoff spot, no real reasons to think they may collapse.
3.WOFFORD-Halloween night may be make it or break it for the Terriers. (depending on how they fare against Elon) Win, and a playoff berth is likely...lose, not so much.
4.FURMAN-Will be interesting to see how they respond after last week's meltdown. Unfortuanately in the socon, after you lose one game the rest become must-wins. Im sure Furman is feeling the heat, they dont want to go into KBS with 2 conference losses, I expect them to realize that urgency against Western and prevail.
5.GSU- A couple breaks here and there and they would be in the discussion with ASU and ELON. But those breaks didnt happen, now its do or die.
6.THE CITADEL- Will be lucky to go 1-1 in their next 2 games. But even that would just about eliminate any playoff birth.
7.SAMFORD-Could give APP some problems, but will not have the athleticism in the end to keep it close. Could be a force to be reckoned with in the future.
8.WCU- This time next year will will be saying "maybe next year is the year for western."
9.UTC- Not so sure FSU and Oklahoma prepared the Mocs for tne SOCON. But hey, UTC basketball practice starts in a couple weeks.

AsuBucETSU34
October 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
1.ASU
2.Wofford
3.Elon
4.The Citadel
5.Furman
6.GSU
7.Samford
8.WCU
9.UTC

thats how i see it...

phoenixphanatic21
October 7th, 2008, 11:49 PM
1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. GSU
6. The Citadel
7. Samford
8. UTC
9. WCU

asucrutch23
October 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM
1. Appalachian State University
2. Elon University
3. Wofford College
4. Furman University
5. The Citadel
6. Georgia Southern University
7. University of Tennessee- Chattanooga
8. Samford University
9. Western Carolina University

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

The Cats
October 8th, 2008, 12:39 AM
you guys are brutal..... xasswhipx

Skjellyfetti
October 8th, 2008, 12:44 AM
1. Appalachian State
1. Wofford
3. Elon
4. Furman
5. citadel
6. GSU
7. Samford
8. WCU
9. UTC

asucrutch23
October 8th, 2008, 12:52 AM
you guys are brutal..... xasswhipx

UTC has just as many last place votes as you do so far. Just sayin...xthumbsupx

asucrutch23
October 8th, 2008, 12:56 AM
So far: (first place votes in parentheses)
1. App State (12.5) 120.5
2. Elon (1) 109
3. Wofford (0.5) 97.5
4. Furman 79
5. Georgia Southern 66
6. The Citadel 64
7. Samford 43
8. UTC 22
9. W. Carolina 21

Kill'em
October 8th, 2008, 02:02 AM
1) Appalachian St - Still with lots of weapons, and Armanti Edwards however, they wear a huge target on their backs.

2) Elon - Explosive offense and a running game this year makes them tough to stop. Defense looks much improved. Pete Lembo should be SoCon Coach of the Year, if not nationally.

3) Wofford - Well-coached team. Triple Option always makes them a threat

4) The Citadel - Again, well-coached, tough defense.

5)Furman - Lots of talent, though admittedly, don't know as much about them.

6) Samford - The sleeper of the conference, playing better than I would have figured.

7 Georgia Southern - Our youth (more than 20 freshmen seeing significant time) makes us the big question mark. If our kids grow up, we will make a case for an at-large bid. The defense needs to keep showing improvement.

8)Western Carolina - The new coaching staff has a lot of work ahead of them.

9) Chattanooga - Going nowhere

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=BULLDOG8180;1140553]
2. Wofford (Coach Ayers makes a young and somewhat inexperienced team, very good)

The offense has 7 or 8 seniors on it, But yes the defense is very young in the secondary and it shows.

jus10asu
October 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM
1.ASU - We're still the team to beat in the SoCon and I believe we're just starting to ramp up for the meat of the season. We haven't seen Apps best yet!!

2.Wofford - Strong team all around. Tough and scrappy team when they get things rolling.

3.Elon - As was said earlier...I think Eloan is primed for a stumble. El Cid needs to make a statement but I donno if they'll do it. Strong team this year.

4.Furman - Good team this year and with a strong finish I think they can possibly make the playoffs.

5.The Citadel - After the whipping they took this past week they really need to make a statement. Solid team but just not there yet.

6.GSU - Strong but young team. They'll finish strong but its just not their year.

7.Samford - Lookin good so far but they haven't seen the SoCon yet.

8.WCU - Long year ahead. I think they'll get better and maybe do a little more next year. We'll see.

9.UTC - Not much to say.

appfan2008
October 8th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Here is how I feel...

ASU
Elon
Wofford
Furman
TC
GSU
Samford
WCU
UTC

james_lawfirm
October 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
1. Appalachian State - no brainer here. 3 time defending national champions and Armanti Edwards at QB makes them the clear favorite.
2. Wofford - I think the fact they never turn the ball over and control the clock so well makes them tough to beat when they get rolling.
3. Elon - Awesome passing duo of Riddle and Hudgens and an improved running game and defense. Lembo is a good coach
4. Furman - Tough loss against Elon but I think Furman has bounced back nicely this year and looks like they'll make a playoff push. Nice win over Delaware too.
5. Georgia Southern - The teams got lots of new talent...but you never know what you're gonna get from week to week. The defense especially can bet AWFUL in one half and fantastic in the next...
6. The Citadel - I really only put them here because I think they were actually better last year when they had Duran Lawson at QB. Similar to GSU, could probably beat anybody in the conference on the right day.
7. Samford - When you look at the statistics, they have the best defense in the SOCON and they run the ball well. That's a recipe for success in my book.
8. Western Carolina - I actually feel like this team is improving and they'll get better under their new coach. Like somebody else said...It actually looks like their team is trying.
9. UT-Chattanooga - This team seems to have a bunch of talent, but when you watch them it just seems like they can't get it together. Unlike Western Carolina, sometimes it seems like they just quit.

GATA:
For someone with only 6 posts, you seem to know the SoCon well. At least, we have the same outlook. Been lurking here long?

I agree with your post above, except I would swap The Citadel and Georgia Southern. From what I saw at KBS, The Citadel will give other teams in the SoCon fits. I thought this year's Citadel team was better than last year's.

elon77
October 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
1. Elon ( Hey someone needs to put ASU second)
2. ASU
3. Wofford
4. GSU
5. The Citadel
6. Samford
7. Furman (Sorry guys, it's not your year)
8. WSU
9. UTC
Hey, if I don't vote Elon 1 I would be letting the team down.

appfan2008
October 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM
2. ASU
3. Wofford
4. GSU
5. The Citadel
6. Samford
8. WSU
9. UTC

what makes you think GSU is the fourth best team? they have 2 home losses in conference already! close yes but they were L's none the less...

OL FU
October 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
2. Southern Conference (27.97)
3. Appalachian St (4.50)
9T. Wofford (10.50)
11. Elon (10.88)
15. Furman (15.75)
24T. Ga Southern (24.88)
29T. The Citadel (28.50)
47T. Samford (40.25)
77. Chattanooga (57.75)
81. W Carolina (58.75)

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-gridiron-power-index-gpi-debuts-wit-1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I am pretty much in agreement with that list. I haven't given up on the Citadel being better than GSU but either way it isn't by much. and the probably the difference between those teams and FU isn't much either.

IMHO, the Wofford/GSU game should not have been that close. I realize that GSU made a lot of first half mistakes but that one Wofford drive with the fumble returned by GSU for the touchdown changed the nature of that game from a blowout to a close battle. Big Mo is huge in the college gamexnodx

Eaglesrus
October 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM
what makes you think GSU is the fourth best team? they have 2 home losses in conference already! close yes but they were L's none the less...

I wouldn't put us at #4 either; HOWEVER, I think there could be an argument for it based on the fact that the two losses were by a total of three points, and both were to teams that Elon77 ranked above us, as they should be. Are you saying that because we lost to two teams ranked ahead of us then other teams should necessarily be ranked ahead of us also?

Having said that, here's mine

1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
4. Furman
4. Georgia Southern
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. Chattanooga

Well, I did sort of put us at #4. Anyway, until they play I can't pick between those middle three, so I just put them in alphabetical order

OL FU
October 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't put us at #4 either; HOWEVER, I think there could be an argument for it based on the fact that the two losses were by a total of three points, and both were to teams that Elon77 ranked above us, as they should be. Are you saying that because we lost to two teams ranked ahead of us then other teams should necessarily be ranked ahead of us also?

1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
4. Furman
4. Georgia Southern
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. Chattanooga

Sorry, until they play I can't pick between those middle three

I agree. I tried above but it is really kinda useless until we play each other. I am more comfortable with the tie. I suppose if there is a bright spot for the 4 way tie is we got both of you at homexnodx

blueballs
October 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
The only team in the conference that has what could be considered multiple quality wins is Elon, therefore:

1. Elon: New rushing attack makes them the most solid team...
2. Wofford: Because of Mike Ayers...
3. App: Played tough against a good team (JMU) and destroyed an average team (El CID)
4-6: El Cid, Furman, GSU in no real order... none have any quality wins and all three have potential...
7. Samford: Better than we all thought but still largely untested and unproven...
8-9 UTC/WCU: not too much to talk about here...

elon77
October 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM

I think once you get past the top 3, you can flip flop any of the next 4. GSU, Furman, Samford, and The Citadel are all good teams and can beat anyone on any given Saturday. I just think GSU will get better and better as the season goes on. They are as good a team right now as the other 3 I listed above. It's just my opinion, and opinions are like butts, everyone has one.

GATA
October 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
GATA:
For someone with only 6 posts, you seem to know the SoCon well. At least, we have the same outlook. Been lurking here long?

I agree with your post above, except I would swap The Citadel and Georgia Southern. From what I saw at KBS, The Citadel will give other teams in the SoCon fits. I thought this year's Citadel team was better than last year's.

You caught me! :D

Yeah I've been reading these boards forever. It's by far the best place to keep track of FCS football and get opinions from fans across the country. I don't know why it actually took me so long to register on the boards (laziness I guess).

I'm a huge GSU/SOCON fan and I usually try to check out other SOCON teams when I see them on TV.

PhoenixPhan06
October 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
1) Elon: More quality wins than anyone in the SoCon and have held the top spot in the standings since the start of SoCon play. Still more work to do, but playoffs are realistic at this point.

1a) ASU: They have won the games they should have won, and with the exception of the LSU loss, have only lost a tight game to a Top 5 FCS team. It'll be interesting how they fare against the top tier SoCon teams, but for now I consider them more of a 1a instead of a 2.

3) Wofford: Strong showing against USC warrants high praise but they need to play their best football from here on out. I don't see them falling any further than the #3 spot all season and a playoff spot should be counted on.

4) Furman: Although the had a bad game last week, I see them winning enough games to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot only to fall short. The win against Delaware validates the talent, they just have to find a way to play well consistently.

5) GSU: Close losses against Elon and Wofford make this team relavent and the youth is learning how to win on the next level. Definetly a rebuilding year in Statesboro but the future looks bright.

6) The Citadel: Could end up as high as #4 by seasons end, but at this point they have shown nothing to warrant anything higher. Not even close against ASU last week which says one of two things, ASU is that good, or The Citadel was over-rated from the beginning. Sure it was one game, but there are no quality wins to offset this bad loss.

7) Samford: Not the doormat that everyone expected, but will stay close to the bottom for a couple of years. I expect 2-4 SoCon wins but consider them ahead of schedule and force to be reckoned with in a couple of years.

8) Western Carolina: Young, but posseses talent at key positions. Quan Warley is the horse that drives this wagon, and if he stays healthy, WCU could win a couple in the SoCon.

8a) Chattanooga: I'd like to say something positive here, so theres always next year!

straightshooter
October 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM
The league is truly more balanced than ever before. With respect to GSU, it's been said that you'd better get them now. Hatcher is playing 22 true freshmen and 11 redshirt freshmen, and the Eagles are in every game. Yes they are 3-3, but they could just as easily be 5-1.

Look for a strong run against the tougher part of the schedule as these "babies" continue to get their feet wet. Games against App State, Citadel and Furman should all be classics.

One other thing. Remember the name Demarcus Watts. 200lb+ WR who has been electrically timed at 10.6 (100 meters) and 4.4 (40). Hatcher is going to get the ball to this true freshman more and more, and he's proving to be a playmaker.

gophoenix
October 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
You guys are big homers for putting Elon #1 :-P

Until proven otherwise, App is #1 still. I still think it is a tossup at this point for 2-5 with Furman, The Citadel, Elon, Wofford at this point. I think right now, Samford and GSU kind of get grouped together. And then Western, with UTC bringing up the rear.

The problem with these is you look really silly when you team loses to someone you ranked below them. Any given saturday guys. Who knows, UTC could knock of App, Western could knock us off. We could lose the rest of our games, etc. You never know.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Fact remains, I don't think any team gets through the conference unscathed.

Furman was due a letdown. They've played a brutal first half of the schedule. Hopefully they can regroup against Western. Last season we were 2-4 after six games and went on to win five of the next six.

eaglewithabus
October 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM

1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
4. Furman
4. Georgia Southern
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. Chattanooga

Well, I did sort of put us at #4. Anyway, until they play I can't pick between those middle three, so I just put them in alphabetical order

I like these, since were going with the tie method, I think Elon and App should be in a tie for the top mark. Riddle and Hudgins are an impressive combo at qb and wide reciever and Elon also has some impressive talent at running back. Id be really curious to see what pete limbo could do with more money and resources. I am anxious for the GSU vs ASU game but I am also anxious about ASU vs. Elon, even Elon vs. El Cid will give us all a nice indication of how real Elon is this year. Ive got to say that they have been quite impressive thusfar. Samford is also a suprise to me, I was fully expecting every other socon team to mop the floor with them this season. Finally, I fully believe that atleast four teams out of the SoCon could totally run the table in the CAA who gets way too much playoff love IMO. Heres Mine.

1. ASU
1. Elon
2. Woffy
3. El Cid
3. GSU
3. FU
7. UTC
8. Samford
9. Western

I put my tied rankings in the order that I believe things should fall. I have confidence in GSU, but I gotta say I dont think this young team will run the table like I wish we could. Hopefully I will eat these words, if we could only become a 4 quarter team instead of a second half team, I would be more hopeful.

94Terrier
October 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Appy St
Wofford / Elon
Furman
Ga Southern
El Cid
Samford
WCU
UTC
--
It's still way too early to put Elon ahead of Wofford, or Wofford ahead of Elon. The winner of that game should clearly position themselves at #2. I will say that the only reason I have Appy first is out of pure respect. We defeated them last year and tied them for the conference championship. Fact still remains they are the 3 time defending national champ, and until they are dethroned, deserve (I guess) the top spot.

Sir William
October 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
1) App State
2) Elon
3) Wofford
4) Furman
5) Georgia Southern
6) The Citadel
7) Samford
8) Western Carolina
9) Chattanooga

jus10asu
October 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
You guys are big homers for putting Elon #1 :-P

Until proven otherwise, App is #1 still. I still think it is a tossup at this point for 2-5 with Furman, The Citadel, Elon, Wofford at this point. I think right now, Samford and GSU kind of get grouped together. And then Western, with UTC bringing up the rear.

The problem with these is you look really silly when you team loses to someone you ranked below them. Any given saturday guys. Who knows, UTC could knock of App, Western could knock us off. We could lose the rest of our games, etc. You never know.

I agree with this notion of putting Elon in the #1 spot. Not being a homer because I know it is really easy to do. But Apps two loses were to two very very strong teams. So you can't really hold that against us. SoCon play has just started so you gotta beat the man to be the man. Elon is lookin good this year so I would def. say they are an undeniable #2. And yeah I'd say 3-5 is a toss up for now but Wofford is lookin the best so far.

I can't wait for the ASU v. Elon game. Its gonna be a good one. Maybe the SoCon decision maker. Its fun living in the middle of Elon country and flyin that block A proudly in front of the house. I make it a point to wear my App shirts and what not to the local target around all the Elon students. I always get the weird looks.xpeacex xpeacex

The Cats
October 8th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I always get the weird looks.

what an opening for a Catamount fan.....

xoutofrepx

ToTheLeft
October 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Elon
Wofford
App
GoSo
Furman
THE Citadel
Samford
Western
Chat

I'm just not sold on App, maybe I'm just a hater? I dunno. I have respect for App's program and what they've done, and I know they beat up on THE Citadel, but I just don't see them as the team to beat in the SoCon anymore, there is just so much talent all over the place. Plus, the more I pump up Elon, the better it will be when we beat them in November. :)

appfan2008
October 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I agree with this notion of putting Elon in the #1 spot. Not being a homer because I know it is really easy to do. But Apps two loses were to two very very strong teams. So you can't really hold that against us. SoCon play has just started so you gotta beat the man to be the man. Elon is lookin good this year so I would def. say they are an undeniable #2. And yeah I'd say 3-5 is a toss up for now but Wofford is lookin the best so far.

I can't wait for the ASU v. Elon game. Its gonna be a good one. Maybe the SoCon decision maker. Its fun living in the middle of Elon country and flyin that block A proudly in front of the house. I make it a point to wear my App shirts and what not to the local target around all the Elon students. I always get the weird looks.xpeacex xpeacex

It will be a good game if and only if we can figure out how to stop an average passing attack let alone the dominant one that Elon posseses...

lizrdgizrd
October 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
1. App
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
t6. GaSo
t6. Citadel
7. Samford
t9. Chatty
t9. WCU

I think top 3 have a good shot this season at making the playoffs.

appfan2008
October 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Elon
Wofford
App
GoSo
Furman
THE Citadel
Samford
Western
Chat

I'm just not sold on App, maybe I'm just a hater? I dunno. I have respect for App's program and what they've done, and I know they beat up on THE Citadel, but I just don't see them as the team to beat in the SoCon anymore, there is just so much talent all over the place. Plus, the more I pump up Elon, the better it will be when we beat them in November. :)

xeyebrowx

have you looked at asu's roster? more talent than anywhere else! xeekx xpeacex

ToTheLeft
October 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not saying App isn't talented. I know it's a darn good team, and I really would love the chance to see them play live (maybe in November at the Rock against Liberty? :p ), but I just don't see them as the dominant force anymore. I don't mind being wrong here, it matters not to me. I am only pulling for/thinking highly of Elon because I have seen them firsthand and know they've got some legit players.

jus10asu
October 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'm not saying App isn't talented. I know it's a darn good team, and I really would love the chance to see them play live (maybe in November at the Rock against Liberty? :p ), but I just don't see them as the dominant force anymore. I don't mind being wrong here, it matters not to me. I am only pulling for/thinking highly of Elon because I have seen them firsthand and know they've got some legit players.

Really? I mean we lost a LOT of key players and we've got some of the best players in the FCS. Don't worry App will fine tune our problems and you won't be saying this come mid November. This is somewhat of a reloading year as I see it, yet we are still very strong. We'll see in coming weeks.

whoanellie
October 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
#9 is Elon.... does not even belong in the SoCon. nepotistic,
weak , slow, not athletic. pseudo-high school.
oh wait it's 2008..
Nice to get some respect..... We are earning it by bringing-it.

Sir William
October 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM

This may be a little off topic, but here's a realistic prognastication (IMHO):

1) Liberty runs the table in the Big South and beats Lafayette, but ends the season being whipped by Elon.

2) Liberty deservedly earns an at-large spot in the playoffs, draws JMU in the 1st round in Harrisonburg, and gets routed - and I mean ROUTED - by the Dukes.

3) In December, Rocco leaves Liberty to become the head coach at Chattanooga.

4) In 2009, Liberty returns to gridiron mediocrity.

PhoenixPhan06
October 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM

1) Liberty runs the table in the Big South and beats Lafayette, but ends the season being whipped by Elon.

2) Liberty deservedly earns an at-large spot in the playoffs, draws JMU in the 1st round in Harrisonburg, and gets routed - and I mean ROUTED - by the Dukes.

Finding a replacement for Jennings is going to be a monumental task!

GATA
October 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
xeyebrowx

have you looked at asu's roster? more talent than anywhere else! xeekx xpeacex

Really? I don't think I ever looked at it that way. App State certainly has the best TEAM in the SOCON, but honestly I don't think they're much more talented than anybody else in the conference.

elon77
October 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Seeing those two guys mugs makes me miss the WCU cheerleaders.:pumpuke: Please take their pictures off.

EmeryZach
October 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
1. App State
2. Wofford
3. Elon
4. Georgia Southern
5. Furman
6. The Citadel
7. Samford
8. WCU
9. Chatt "We have a great stadium but not much else" Anooga

Philly Phoenix Phan
October 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
1. App - Losing to #4 FBS and #1 FCS doesn't indicate a thing.
2. Elon - By virtue of the victory over Wofford last year (very scientific).
3. Wofford - Don't know much about them, just that they're talented
4. Citadel - Since they beat us 2 years straight, and I'm skittish again.
5. Furman - I always hated you guys when I was at Elon. Same with App.
6. GSU - Met your dance team 3 years ago - never saw more girls with Skoal in my life
7. Samford - Nice little squad you've got there, could beat Hamilton's Elon
9. UTC/WCU - It's not pretty fellas.

I remember a story a few years back about an article in App's student paper calling for Elon to get the boot from the SoCon (at least thats what we were told on campus). Aside from the initial shock of App having a paper with written words (i kid, but seriously) we had no argument otherwise. Years later, it's nice to be relevant.

ToTheLeft
October 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM

1) Very possible. Whipped by Elon might be a stretch but it is within the realms of possibility

2) Routed by the Dukes? Really? I don't think it would be that bad... I wouldn't expect to win (I would cheer and hope and pray for one, but not expect one), but routed? I dunno about that man.

3) That's a joke if I've ever heard one. Not an ounce of "realism" there. Rocco's best years are ahead of him here, not behind him. if he left this offseason, ESPECIALLY in some kind of downward move like to UTC, then I would be shocked and disgusted.

4) This may be true, but that really is impossible to predict. We have a lot of seniors, but there is also a lot of young talent waiting in the wings. We have a QB ready to step in and take over this team (He is the one who put up the 14 against Elon when our starting offense decided not to show up.), several good running backs (none on the level of Jennings, at least not at this point), and a lot of other key young players. All that being said... we still play in the Big South. I don't think I need to explain more.

ToTheLeft
October 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Seeing those two guys mugs makes me miss the WCU cheerleaders.:pumpuke: Please take their pictures off.

Make me a better sig and I'll wear it proudly. :p

catamount man
October 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
1-APP
2-Elon
3-Furman
4-Wofford
5-EL CID
6-GSU
7-Samford
8-WCU (may change after November 1)
9-UTC (may change after November 1)

Death Dealer
October 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
2. ASU
3. Wofford
4. GSU
5. The Citadel
6. Samford
8. WSU
9. UTC

You smoke crack don't you?

JDC325
October 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
The only team in the conference that has what could be considered multiple quality wins is Elon, therefore:

1. Elon: New rushing attack makes them the most solid team...
2. Wofford: Because of Mike Ayers...
3. App: Played tough against a good team (JMU) and destroyed an average team (El CID)
4-6: El Cid, Furman, GSU in no real order... none have any quality wins and all three have potential...
7. Samford: Better than we all thought but still largely untested and unproven...
8-9 UTC/WCU: not too much to talk about here...

DITTO

Nobody can really say there is much difference between GSU, THE Citadel and Furman so far this year.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
DITTO

Nobody can really say there is much difference between GSU, THE Citadel and Furman so far this year.

'Cept that Furman played well against a VT team on the road, beat a good Colgate team in New York, and beat top 10 Delaware.

GSU has managed to almost not lose 2 conference games and barely beat two winless teams at home and the Citadel got blown off the field against the only legitimate FCS opponent they've played.

introvertedGSUfan
October 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
'Cept that Furman played well against a VT team on the road, beat a good Colgate team in New York, and beat top 10 Delaware.

GSU has managed to almost not lose 2 conference games and barely beat two winless teams at home and the Citadel got blown off the field against the only legitimate FCS opponent they've played.

Yes and you guys really lost to Elon whereas we only lost by two points.:)

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
The basic synopsis here is App and Elon tied for first, Wofford a solid third, FU GSU and The Citadel after that, Samford after those three(I'd still but them with the three before because they haven't proven us otherwise) and UTC and Western are in last.

Give Western credit they may be bad but they only have a few upperclassmen starting and they have an attitude of wanting to win. Chatty has shown no sign of wanting to win in the last couple years.

GSU is VERY fast, two of their regulation TDs were on long plays against Wofford. They DO have the talent to beat App especially with a bye.

Wofford needs a quality win to be solidified as a contender this year, we're getting better but we won't know until we play Elon.

I concede, Elon will make the playoffs this year. If they don't they don't deserve it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM
1. Appy - they are still a scoring machine
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4T GSU, El Cid, Furman
7 Samford
8 Western
9 Chattanooga

I think WCU deserves to be ranked over Chatty because WCU has not only managed to come within a couple of TD's of a DI team, the have actually beaten a DI team and they gave Liberty a good game.

apaladin
October 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. Samford
6. GSU
7. The Citadel
8. WCU
9. UTC

That win over WCU has you pretty excited, huh?

SU DOG
October 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Well I guess that a concensus #7 for Samford is far better than what I saw on here for several weeks running. Fact is, we are still an unknown, and fact is we still don't know where we fit just yet. I do, however, have an idea that #7 may be a notch or so low. It seems to me that every SoCon team, however, has this same unknown fate at this early point in the season. That's what makes all this guessing so much fun. I'm just thankful that we are finally in a conference where the fans actually care this much. xthumbsupx
GO DOGS!!!!!

JDC325
October 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM

So if the wins we have were so by so little why would our two losses by less than three points to top ten teams not mean as much? The only thing we have in common is Elon and it seems we performed better.

phoenix3
October 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well I guess that a concensus #7 for Samford is far better than what I saw on here for several weeks running. Fact is, we are still an unknown, and fact is we still don't know where we fit just yet. I do, however, have an idea that #7 may be a notch or so low. It seems to me that every SoCon team, however, has this same unknown fate at this early point in the season. That's what makes all this guessing so much fun. I'm just thankful that we are finally in a conference where the fans actually care this much. xthumbsupx
GO DOGS!!!!!

Agreed. With Elon, it seems that we are still working on assembling the facits of our offense. Against GSU we piled on passing and rushing yards but not much of a score. Against FU we rushed like we knew how but passes were being dropped left & right. In the end we put enough points on the board to get the job done. We did what we had to do to win the Samford game but it was far from pretty. It seems we are getting a little better game by game but I don't think we are quite to the point offensively that I expected to be based on last year's success. On the other hand, The defense has played very respectably. This is the area of our team that has improved most dramatically since last year.

I think The Citadel game (or should I say "the The Citadel" game. Please advise CITDOG) is sort of a hump game for us. There is so much more under the surface in this game than what each of the teams has done so far this season, especially with the Lembo/Higgins connection. We should pull this one out. But, like you said, so much is unknown at this point.

No ranking other than:

1. ASU
2. Citadel/Elon/Furman/GSU/Wofford
7. Samford
8. WCU
9. Chatt

How's that for riding the fence?

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Yes and you guys really lost to Elon whereas we only lost by two points.:)

Has GSU really fallen to the point of comparing who lost to Elon worse? xlolx

Things need to get back to normal quick. xnodx

GATA
October 8th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Has GSU really fallen to the point of comparing who lost to Elon worse? xlolx

I agree. Bottom line is that GSU is 3-3 with a bye week and then a huge game at home against App.

Furman's in a little better of a situation with only 2 losses, but you've got some tough games left on the schedule. We don't need another year where both Furman and GSU don't make the playoffs...that's just...wrong.

blueballs
October 9th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Has GSU and Furman really fallen to the point of comparing who lost to Elon worse? xlolx

Minor correction for accuracy...;)

Rob Iola
October 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Classic trap game situation for ASU this week - I think Samford's size will give them fits, and if ASU's not careful they'll be sitting on 3 losses going into the meat of their conf. schedule...

Black Saturday
October 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Elon
Wofford
App
GoSo
Furman
THE Citadel
Samford
Western
Chat

I'll take it you have never seen APP play this year. Take this as a friendly invitation to visit Boone on Thanksgiving Saturday this year and see if you can be made a believer.

CID1990
October 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Agreed. With Elon, it seems that we are still working on assembling the facits of our offense. Against GSU we piled on passing and rushing yards but not much of a score. Against FU we rushed like we knew how but passes were being dropped left & right. In the end we put enough points on the board to get the job done. We did what we had to do to win the Samford game but it was far from pretty. It seems we are getting a little better game by game but I don't think we are quite to the point offensively that I expected to be based on last year's success. On the other hand, The defense has played very respectably. This is the area of our team that has improved most dramatically since last year.

I think The Citadel game (or should I say "the The Citadel" game. Please advise CITDOG) is sort of a hump game for us. There is so much more under the surface in this game than what each of the teams has done so far this season, especially with the Lembo/Higgins connection. We should pull this one out. But, like you said, so much is unknown at this point.

No ranking other than:

1. ASU
2. Citadel/Elon/Furman/GSU/Wofford
7. Samford
8. WCU
9. Chatt
How's that for riding the fence?

Probably the smartest ranking on this thread so far, considering that nobody has played more than a couple conference games yet.

OLDMAIN80
October 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
1. Elon - Sitting in the catbirds seat (currently)
2. Rest of the field. We will have more to work with on this thread after this weekend.

Tribegrad02
October 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM

First time poster here, so I might not have much cred yet, but I was wondering what the guys at Chattanooga thought about the possibility of the Richmond DC as their head coach? I think he is an alum, and he worked at W&M a while back when Darren Sharper was here. Obviously, he's pretty good at least with defenses, though I don't think he's ever been a head guy anywhere.

OL FU
October 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
First time poster here, so I might not have much cred yet, but I was wondering what the guys at Chattanooga thought about the possibility of the Richmond DC as their head coach? I think he is an alum, and he worked at W&M a while back when Darren Sharper was here. Obviously, he's pretty good at least with defenses, though I don't think he's ever been a head guy anywhere.

at this point they might consider Kent Briggsxnodx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeekx Nahxsmhx

GATA
October 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
at this point they might consider Kent Briggsxnodx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeekx Nahxsmhx

Honestly, I think UTC should take a look at Trooper Taylor. I'm pretty sure he used to coach at Tennessee and now he's the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State.

He's young, He's black, and I think he would actually excite the Chattanooga fanbase...albeit a small fan base (for now).

http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1419&SPID=143&DB_OEM_ID=200&ATCLID=1383999&Q_SEASON=2008

P.S. I only note that he's black because of the fact that black head coaches (outside of HBCU's) are nonexistent in Div I football...especially FCS football.

T-Dogg
October 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
1. Elon - Sitting in the catbirds seat (currently)
2. Rest of the field. We will have more to work with on this thread after this weekend.

No doubt, alot of ball is yet to be played! Let's see this thread again in a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!