PDA

View Full Version : CN8 is run by idiots

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
They are televising unranked 2-3 Maine @ #24 2-3 UD.

They aren't televising #1 JMU @ #5 UR.

In the middle of the afternoon up here in Philly they are televising a HS game.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

whitey
October 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I thought JMU/Richmond was on CSN this weekend?

89Hen
October 7th, 2008, 08:02 AM
They are televising unranked 2-3 Maine @ #24 2-3 UD.

They aren't televising #1 JMU @ #5 UR.
FWIW,games are decided upon before the start of the year. xpeacex

andy7171
October 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I was hoping that the Towson Rhode Island game would have been broadcast. With the Tigers in their Black and gold and Rhody in their new god aweful light blue and white. It would have been a technicolor nightmare!

I'm planning on getting good and drunk before this disaster of a game takes place.

Any URI guys coming down? We'll be having a big tailgate, stop on by.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM

BEFORE the start of the year UR and JMU were both preseason top 5 to top 7 in every poll, both picked to finish as the top 2 teams in the CAA South. UD was picked to finish 3rd in the South, and Maine was picked to finish 4th in the North. Even choosing to televise Maine @ UD over JMU @ UR before the season started makes zero sense.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM

And they do try to get all schools on TV at some point in the season.

I think they do a good job getting different schools/regions each week.

89Hen
October 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM

xnodx Otherwise they would have just televised only JMU/UR/UMass this year.

Dukie95
October 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah, JMU @ UR is on Comcast Sports Net.

CSN > CN8

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, JMU @ UR is on Comcast Sports Net.

CSN > CN8

In the Philly area it ISN'T on. CN8 up here televised the UMass @ JMU and the ASU @ JMU. I saw the UR @ Nova game. But neither CSN or CN8 up here lists the JMU @ UR- I've double checked both station lineups on my DVR.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM

There is 3 games they should have plugged in before any others. The pre season top 2 picks in the North: UMass @ UNH and JMU @ UR. Also either of the top 2 picks in the North vs either of the top 2 picks in the South. In this case there's only one matchup there, UMass @ JMU. Then plug in games with other teams, although I don't agree that "every" team should be able to have a game on TV, just like some kids (3rd & 4th string) never or hardly ever get to play. TV is about ratings and $.

But to not have televised what most had pre season as the CAA game of the year, and what is the national I-AA game of the week, and to have Maine @ UD instead, is a joke.

Madisonian
October 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
BDK, I offer you a simple solution: Put on a purple shirt. Get in the car. Drive 6 hours south. Join the rest of us for the game in person.

Old Cage
October 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
CSN New England has UMass/Northeastern at noon

Dukie95
October 7th, 2008, 08:31 AM
At least CSN in available on any sattelite providor. Any bar should be able to get the game, which isn't the case for CN8.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
BDK, I offer you a simple solution: Put on a purple shirt. Get in the car. Drive 6 hours south. Join the rest of us for the game in person.

Oh, I'll be in Richmond Fri night (4 hr drive if I don't get jammed up by DC area traffic, which I probably will) and plan to be tailgating when the lots open. Have a ticket that looks like its around the 50 yard line. I just wanted to tape it on my DVR, and was just pointing out it is a joke that its not televised (at least up here), and Maine @ UD is.

Madisonian
October 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Good to hear, BDK, see you there!

bluehenbillk
October 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The game is televised on Comcast Sports Net Mid-Atlantic, not CSN Philadelphia.

EmeryZach
October 7th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I'm sure it will be online somewhere, probably channelsurfing.net.

Bettina90
October 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Move to Delaware, where you get both the Philly Comcast and the Comcast Middle Atlantic. Unfortunately, I won't be watching Saturday due to a prior committment but Go Spiders.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
The game is televised on Comcast Sports Net Mid-Atlantic, not CSN Philadelphia.

I have a major beef with CSN Philadelphia, which does a pathetic job of getting any sort of CAA/SoCon games on their broadcasts. Now, if they have a Phillies game or something I understand - but they seem to go out of their way to not broadcast the same games that are on CSN Northeast. I was all ready to record UC Davis/N'eastern when I realized that they were going to be bradcasting Flyers *preseason*. Ugh!

Even though I don't get CN8, I understand that they decide the games before the season to televise, not the week before. Matter of fact last year they missed the multiple-OT game of the year with Richmond at Delaware since they were broadcasting another game - was it UMass at URI? It may have been.

henfan
October 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Man, you guys have short memories. It was just a few short years ago that you would strain to find any I-AA games on regional TV.

IMO, Comcast and its CN8 affiliate does a more than admirable job of broadcasting FCS games.xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I don't get this rant - the game is being televised on CSN Mid-Atlantic. Comcast Sports is seen as a better channel than CN8, and I think CSN gets the top pick and CN8 gets the next pick. Their both run by the same company anyway.

If you want, complain about CSN Philly, although, seeing how they want to run Sportsnite at 6:30 right before the 7:00 Flyers game (it's opening night for the Flyers and they're playing the Rangers to boot), and seeing how the Flyers are infinitely more attractive than JMU/Richmond is in the Philly market, it's not exactly shocking that CSN Philly made the decision they made.

Oh, it looks like it's on CSN New England as well so apparently the only place it isn't on on the East Coast is CSN Philly because of the aforementioned Flyers opening night game. Again, odd to rant about just being shut out of the Philly market because of the NHL.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Notice I changed the thread title- At the time I started the thread I was annoyed.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Move to Delaware, where you get both the Philly Comcast and the Comcast Middle Atlantic. Unfortunately, I won't be watching Saturday due to a prior committment but Go Spiders.

Actually, I looked into buying place in DE before I bought outside Philly.

UNHFan99
October 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM
im guessing their is a deal with the CAA and CN8 that all teams will be televised at some point.

GannonFan
October 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
im guessing their is a deal with the CAA and CN8 that all teams will be televised at some point.

Of course it is, the league's not really making money off of this so it's spread the wealth. This is the first of two televised appearances for Maine and the first of five for UD. And it will be the 3rd of 5 televised appearances for JMU and the 2nd of 5 for Richmond. They're covering things pretty well.

jlcharles
October 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Comcast sucks period. Watching/listening to John Ritchie try to call a game is painful.

jmuroller
October 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
The conference office in Richmond decides on most of this. Since they are the ones paying for the games to be televised...they have about 80% of the say in who gets televised. Obviously they want the highest ratings every week, but for that to happen you would only see UD, JMU, UMass, UR every week. They try to get every team on there at least once, while also making sure at least 1 of the teams is a high profile one with a large fan base for viewership.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I don't get this rant - the game is being televised on CSN Mid-Atlantic. Comcast Sports is seen as a better channel than CN8, and I think CSN gets the top pick and CN8 gets the next pick. Their both run by the same company anyway.

If you want, complain about CSN Philly, although, seeing how they want to run Sportsnite at 6:30 right before the 7:00 Flyers game (it's opening night for the Flyers and they're playing the Rangers to boot), and seeing how the Flyers are infinitely more attractive than JMU/Richmond is in the Philly market, it's not exactly shocking that CSN Philly made the decision they made.

Oh, it looks like it's on CSN New England as well so apparently the only place it isn't on on the East Coast is CSN Philly because of the aforementioned Flyers opening night game. Again, odd to rant about just being shut out of the Philly market because of the NHL.

The JMU game is televised on CSN Mid Atlantic in the 3:30-7:00 time slot. The flyers game doesn't start till 7.

CSN-P is televising The NE @ Towson game at noon xconfusedx which was played last week. But it says live xconfusedx

JMU game starts at 3:30. Here is the CSN lineup from 3:30-7:
3:30: Pro Fotball Weekly
4:00: PA Harness Week.xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx
4:30: FSN Pro Football Preview
5:30: Inside the Eagles
6:00: Inside Golf
6:30: Sports Nite

They could have put on that stuff on noon-3:30, and had the JMU @ UR game 3:30-7. The JMU @ UR would definitely draw better ratings than last week's NE @ Towson.

LehighFan11
October 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Is this going to be on DirecTv somewhere? If not I'm going to be super pissed off.

LacesOut
October 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm confused. I live in Delaware, so will it be on TV at all? On channel 35 or channel 8??

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
The conference office in Richmond decides on most of this. Since they are the ones paying for the games to be televised...they have about 80% of the say in who gets televised. Obviously they want the highest ratings every week, but for that to happen you would only see UD, JMU, UMass, UR every week. They try to get every team on there at least once, while also making sure at least 1 of the teams is a high profile one with a large fan base for viewership.

I'm just saying that what was billed before the season as the CAA Game of the Year should have been slotted to be televised. Of all 10 matchups between the pre season 6 contenders (UR, JMU, UD, Nova, UMass, UNH), 9 are televised on CN8. JMU @ UR is the only one not.

If CN8 had slotted JMU @ UR instead of Maine @ UD, UD is already on 4 other times on CN8. Maine has 4 of its games televised on WABI and one of those, the JMU game, also televised on MYVAlley, whatever the hell those stations are, plus one on the Big Ten Network. So its not lthe Maine @ UD game is the only one Maine gets on TV. If CN8 wanted to get all the teasm on, they could have aired Maine some other week.

Bottom line is in outside of Philly I can watch or tape 9 of the 10 games between the top 6 preseason contenders. JMU @ UR is the ONLY one I can't. And that makes NO sense.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I understand it's easy to get POed, and I also understand it's easy to get spoiled - I talk from the perspective of a fan who can get 80-90% of the Lehigh games streamed over the internet and 50% of the Lehigh games he wants live on his TV. Not long ago, getting *any* games on TV was seen as a Ritz cracker.

CN8/CSN has made one of the best commitments to FCS football of anybody. However, I'm stuck in Philly with our "special CSN station that covers the Sixers, Flyers and Phillies" so I get shut out. As a FCS fan, that irritates me.

Having been able to experience the Fox College Sports/FSN side of things and the CN8/CSN side of things, I think the Fox side offers some advantages and the Comcast side offers others. Fox is horrible with their schedules and rearranging things at the last second, but they're better about getting games on nationally and in general they're better about replaying games later in the week. Comcast doesn't rebroadcast games across all its affiliates, even on off hours (a major source of irritation for me) but they offer more games and in general (IMO) do a better job of covering them.

Too bad that "America Channel" never took off, which originally had some promise as being the station that would rebroadcast the games. What ever happened to them, I wonder?

Dukie95
October 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
By the way, it's also the Capitals opening night at 7:00, and CSN MA is able to cover it.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Bottom line is in outside of Philly I can watch or tape 9 of the 10 games between the top 6 preseason contenders. JMU @ UR is the ONLY one I can't. And that makes NO sense.

I agree. And you know what? CSN/CN8 could alleviate this by just rebroadcasting the game at 3AM on CSN-P or CN8. You're telling me those Bowflex commercials are more important? IMO, even tape-delaying the game is a better option than nothing. And it's not like they're paying any more money to do it, either: they have the program in the can and can distribute it anywhere they want.

Again, this is the one area where Fox is better - showing the games again during the week in tape-delay.

Bettina90
October 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm confused. I live in Delaware, so will it be on TV at all? On channel 35 or channel 8??

Actually, I take it back. Looks like it's not on at all. You can catch Council Rock at Neshaminy, East Stroudsburg at Bloomsburg, or Northeastern at Towson State though.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I agree. And you know what? CSN/CN8 could alleviate this by just rebroadcasting the game at 3AM on CSN-P or CN8. You're telling me those Bowflex commercials are more important? IMO, even tape-delaying the game is a better option than nothing. And it's not like they're paying any more money to do it, either: they have the program in the can and can distribute it anywhere they want.

Again, this is the one area where Fox is better - showing the games again during the week in tape-delay.

Yeah, even that would work for me if they re broadcast sometime during the week in the middle of the morning . So if the game ends up as a classic (with JMU winning of coursexthumbsupx ) I'll just have to come up with a copy from one of my bretheren in the CSN-MA coverage area.

LacesOut
October 7th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Actually, I take it back. Looks like it's not on at all. You can catch Council Rock at Neshaminy, East Stroudsburg at Bloomsburg, or Northeastern at Towson State though.

Uuuuuughhhhhh. Thanks, but no thanks! LOL

URMite
October 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm just saying that what was billed before the season as the CAA Game of the Year should have been slotted to be televised. Of all 10 matchups between the pre season 6 contenders (UR, JMU, UD, Nova, UMass, UNH), 9 are televised on CN8. JMU @ UR is the only one not.

If CN8 had slotted JMU @ UR instead of Maine @ UD, UD is already on 4 other times on CN8. Maine has 4 of its games televised on WABI and one of those, the JMU game, also televised on MYVAlley, whatever the hell those stations are, plus one on the Big Ten Network. So its not lthe Maine @ UD game is the only one Maine gets on TV. If CN8 wanted to get all the teasm on, they could have aired Maine some other week.

Yeah, that sounds like last year only game not covered was UR/UD. Not even any cameras. This year we moved the JMU/UR game from noon so it would at least be on CSN. Not on in your area sucks, but this coverage by the CAA is better than the A10 coverage was.

GannonFan
October 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM
The JMU game is televised on CSN Mid Atlantic in the 3:30-7:00 time slot. The flyers game doesn't start till 7.

CSN-P is televising The NE @ Towson game at noon xconfusedx which was played last week. But it says live xconfusedx

JMU game starts at 3:30. Here is the CSN lineup from 3:30-7:
3:30: Pro Fotball Weekly
4:00: PA Harness Week.xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx
4:30: FSN Pro Football Preview
5:30: Inside the Eagles
6:00: Inside Golf
6:30: Sports Nite

They could have put on that stuff on noon-3:30, and had the JMU @ UR game 3:30-7. The JMU @ UR would definitely draw better ratings than last week's NE @ Towson.

They're not going to put anything on that they would have to cut away from to do the Flyers game, and like I said, Sports Nite will basically be a Flyers pregame show. Granted, with the way Richmond and JMU run the football, it's not likely to be a long game, but that's the way CSN is in Philly. And no, last week's NE@Towson game would probably draw the same amount of ratings as this week's JMU/UR game - they're both going to be very, very small ratings (obviously I'd watch the JMU/UR game over a live broadcast of NU/Towson, but there aren't as many FCS fans out there as we like to think there are).

GannonFan
October 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
By the way, it's also the Capitals opening night at 7:00, and CSN MA is able to cover it.

And if the game runs long, be prepared to have the game cut away from to show the Capitals game. But, the Capitals in D.C. ain't the Flyers in Philly - two different animals entirely.