PDA

View Full Version : App St/McNeese St in 2009?

T-Dog
October 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM
According to someone on the MMB, App has been in talks with McNeese St for several weeks. The likely scenario would be @ App in 09 with a return trip sometime down the road.

We've been looking into getting a top level team to open the fully-renovated Kidd-Brewer Stadium opening in 2009. We've been talking to JMU for them to come in to open our home schedule in 2009 and then the opening the renovated Bridgeforth Stadium in 2013 (?).

Regardless, App sounds serious about bringing a top-level team to open the 2009 home schedule at the finished KBS. If those fall through, is Montana doing anything early September? xwhistlex

I know, it's all here-say, but it does make a lot of sense with the pretty-much confirmed reports about the ASU/JMU talks mentioned above.

(And BTW, rumors are going around that due to a scheduling change-around, an App St/East Carolina game in 2009 is a possibility. Just rumors, but still)

uofmman1122
October 7th, 2008, 05:35 AM
According to someone on the MMB, App has been in talks with McNeese St for several weeks. The likely scenario would be @ App in 09 with a return trip sometime down the road.

We've been looking into getting a top level team to open the fully-renovated Kidd-Brewer Stadium opening in 2009. We've been talking to JMU for them to come in to open our home schedule in 2009 and then the opening the renovated Bridgeforth Stadium in 2013 (?).

Regardless, App sounds serious about bringing a top-level team to open the 2009 home schedule at the finished KBS. If those fall through, is Montana doing anything early September? xwhistlex

I know, it's all here-say, but it does make a lot of sense with the pretty-much confirmed reports about the ASU/JMU talks mentioned above.

(And BTW, rumors are going around that due to a scheduling change-around, an App St/East Carolina game in 2009 is a possibility. Just rumors, but still)Holy crap I would love that.

However, what with Montana playing Cal Poly for the next 4 years, I unfortunately doubt that our AD would schedule a game with App.

I think I just might send him an e-mail...xwhistlex

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Holy crap I would love that.

However, what with Montana playing Cal Poly for the next 4 years, I unfortunately doubt that our AD would schedule a game with App.

I think I just might send him an e-mail...xwhistlex

I'd love a Montana home and home as well. I would definitely make that trip! Not that any excuse is needed to take a trip to Montana.

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Oh, and I like the idea of the McNeese home and home as well. xpeacex

th0m
October 7th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Great initiative. Are these high profile in response to not being able to schedule FBS games, or in addition to those games?

msupokes1
October 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
This would be awesome. Were can I buy my tickets?:)

appfan2008
October 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I would love to have mcneese come in... next year could be the best app team ever... the stadium will be finished... sure would be sweet to open with a top team like mcneese, jmu or montana...

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2008, 07:53 AM
This isn't the first time in the last year or so that App St has been in discussions with an SLC team. Would be nice to see the Mountaineers get it done, as I know the last time, the SLC team dropped the ball...

appfan2008
October 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
i think the last time we played an slc team was 2004 against northwestern st I believe... dont quote me on that...

patssle
October 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
At least McNeese's coach has the balls to play App State...apparently ours doesn't.

ASUMountaineer
October 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I would really enjoy a game with the Cowboys. However, there is no other FCS team I'd rather play than Montana. Ever since 2000 I've wanted a chance at those guys. xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 7th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I thought JMU's OOC for 2009 was:

@Maryland
@Liberty
VMI

Add in 8 conference games and that makes 11. I could be wrong though. I think Liberty changed from this year to next, but maybe it is from next year to the year after. xconfusedx

Oh, and right now we are scheduled to open the Phase I completed Bridgeforth by 2012, although an extra year would not entirely surprise me, especially with the economic credit crisis.

Appinator
October 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I don't think anyone could paint a better picture of an OOC schedule for us:

JMU
@ECU
home or away w/Montana

Then with the rest of the SoCon, it would be a dream season (if we came out alive). All three OOC games would be pretty evenly matched and sardine sellouts.

LehighFan11
October 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM

JMU
@ECU
home or away w/Montana

Then with the rest of the SoCon, it would be a dream season (if we came out alive). All three OOC games would be pretty evenly matched and sardine sellouts.

That would be a death schedule. 1-2 out of those games would be solid.

appfan2008
October 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM

JMU
@ECU
home or away w/Montana

we play 4 ooc games as does everyone... 12 game schedule overall!

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM

JMU
@ECU
home or away w/Montana

xeekx xeekx That might be a little to much. I think the formula this season is pretty good. Two very tough OOC games and two scheduled OOC wins. xpeacex

JTCowboy
October 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
i think the last time we played an slc team was 2004 against northwestern st I believe... dont quote me on that...

App state played both Northwestern and Texas State in 2004. Lost to NW like 40-35 and beat Texas state I think 42-35

Appinator
October 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
we play 4 ooc games as does everyone... 12 game schedule overall!

Nope 11 in a normal year. Because of the way the calendar year fell, we have an extra week open in the season and the NCAA let teams schedule a 12th game. For proof, check your sig "2004: 6-5"

th0m
October 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I thought JMU's OOC for 2009 was:

@Maryland
@Liberty
VMI

Add in 8 conference games and that makes 11. I could be wrong though. I think Liberty changed from this year to next, but maybe it is from next year to the year after. xconfusedx

Oh, and right now we are scheduled to open the Phase I completed Bridgeforth by 2012, although an extra year would not entirely surprise me, especially with the economic credit crisis.

Yeah I forgot what the deal about the Liberty game was exactly. I think they were supposed to be this year, which is why we had to hush hush NCCU onto our schedule. Also, while Phase I will only be done in 2012, the most impressive part - the two-deck structure - will be done in 2011, with the endzone in 2012, so at least a part of the fireworks'll be on display, so to speak ;)

Appinator
October 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM
xeekx xeekx That might be a little to much. I think the formula this season is pretty good. Two very tough OOC games and two scheduled OOC wins. xpeacex

Again, we will only be able to play 11 next year. The reason why we don't 4 OOC games available in the future is because Samford was added to the SoCon slate. We play 12 this year, which let us keep the normal route of 4 OOC games to go along with our extra SoCon game. Next year, we will be down to 3 OOC.

I really don't think it would be THAT tough, but they all three would be good games. ECU is losing their starting QB and RB this year to go along with 5 defensive starters. JMU won't have Landers anymore. Next year, all three would be very winnable games.

th0m
October 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I really don't think it would be THAT tough, but they all three would be good games. ECU is losing their starting QB and RB this year to go along with 5 defensive starters. JMU won't have Landers anymore. Next year, all three would be very winnable games.

We'll be fine at QB for the next couple of years, thank you xpeacex

IaaScribe
October 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
To answer the JMU-Liberty question ... next year Sept. 26 at Liberty, 2010 at JMU, 2011 at Liberty, 2012 at JMU.

james_lawfirm
October 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Nope 11 in a normal year. Because of the way the calendar year fell, we have an extra week open in the season and the NCAA let teams schedule a 12th game. For proof, check your sig "2004: 6-5"

Actually, the rules changed, allowing teams to play 12 games schedules. It has nothing to do with the calendar or the phases of the moon, etc.

james_lawfirm
October 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
That would be a death schedule. 1-2 out of those games would be solid.

FWIW, that's what we did this year & started 1 - 2. Made us stronger.

appstate38
October 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
That would be awesome. I think more FCS teams should work harder to schedule other FCS power teams. Yes you may lose but if it is against a quality opponent I think it shouldn't count against them as much. It increases the power of the FCS brand and maybe would lure in some better TV money.

McTailGator
October 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM

(And BTW, rumors are going around that due to a scheduling change-around, an App St/East Carolina game in 2009 is a possibility. Just rumors, but still)

Man I like that Idea A LOT!

We have had discusions before, but our old worthless AD could not seal the deal. This new AD and his staff have a heart beat and are go getters so I would bet this one would happen.

I don't like the Down the road thing, but I understand, because our 2010 schedule is already full.

Our defense will need to seal some things up, but i like what our offense is doing. Would be a nice showcase for the Spread Option.

ASU_Pads
October 7th, 2008, 10:26 PM
About the ASU/ECU matchup, the rumor is that the game will be played in Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte. I think that would be pretty close to a packed house.

I'm not trying to disrespect JMU, McNeese, or Montana (I would love to play all of them), but how sweet would it be to open up the new stadium with Marshall? I know, I know, a A program has never played at a AA program's stadium, but there's a first time for everything. I think it would be a neat renewal of a great rivalry. I just have doubts that the Herd want want to play us, much less travel to Boone. Could it happen?

T-Dog
October 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Man I like that Idea A LOT!

We have had discusions before, but our old worthless AD could not seal the deal. This new AD and his staff have a heart beat and are go getters so I would bet this one would happen.

I don't like the Down the road thing, but I understand, because our 2010 schedule is already full.

Our defense will need to seal some things up, but i like what our offense is doing. Would be a nice showcase for the Spread Option.

Actually, re-reading the MMB, "down the road" is actually 2011.

crossfire07
October 8th, 2008, 01:07 AM
About the ASU/ECU matchup, the rumor is that the game will be played in Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte. I think that would be pretty close to a packed house.

I'm not trying to disrespect JMU, McNeese, or Montana (I would love to play all of them), but how sweet would it be to open up the new stadium with Marshall? I know, I know, a A program has never played at a AA program's stadium, but there's a first time for everything. I think it would be a neat renewal of a great rivalry. I just have doubts that the Herd want want to play us, much less travel to Boone. Could it happen?

i believe the ncaa has a rule that says thats a no no.

crossfire07
October 8th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I would like to see the game happen but only in consecutive years. I don't like that "down the road" either.

Syntax Error
October 8th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Actually, the rules changed, allowing teams to play 12 games schedules. It has nothing to do with the calendar or the phases of the moon, etc.No, the rules were not changed. 12 games every year was defeated. It still depends on the calendar. This year was a good example for why a 12 game every year would be bad for FCS fans.

McNeese72
October 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Actually, the rules changed, allowing teams to play 12 games schedules. It has nothing to do with the calendar or the phases of the moon, etc.

I thought it changed for the FBS teams but didn't for the FCS teams?

Doc

McNeese72
October 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM

I dont' think it is an NCAA rule but some of the FBS conferences have rules preventing their member teams from playing at a FCS school's stadium. I know that the Sunbelt has that rule.

Doc

Edge316007
October 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Which is a no no? The neutral site game or Marshall coming here?

Either way, neither is forbidden. Neutral site games are played all the time. ECU played VT earlier this year in Charlotte. Marshall can come here if they want, but they wouldn't want to give up the revenue of hosting an extra game. That's basically what the FCS/FBS matchups usually amount to. That's pretty much why they were put it in.

Appaholic
October 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Montana.....

SoCon48
October 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I dont' think it is an NCAA rule but some of the FBS conferences have rules preventing their member teams from playing at a FCS school's stadium. I know that the Sunbelt has that rule.

Doc

Yes, that is true, Mc72. The Conf USA does have that stipulation, among other conferences.