PDA

View Full Version : New SLC Member Makes Statement

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2005, 06:50 AM
#19 Univ of Central Arkansas defeated #20 Arkansas Tech in what could've been the final game in the Governor's Cup rivalry last night in Russellvile, AR. Strangely enough, the teams were tied at 40-40-3 heading in and UCA took it 49-17 to give them the 41-40-3 advantage.

With the win, UCA clinched their second-ever berth in the Div II playoffs. They will be co-champs if Valdosta St wins their conference game and be outright if they lose.

Congrats to our soon to be new SLC foe as they go for a deep playoff run!

Cocky
November 4th, 2005, 07:06 AM
UCA looked very good last night. Should be a good addition.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2005, 10:01 AM
UCA is definitely going to be a great addition.

Solid UCA program that when they get the 'ships, so be able to compete!

grizband
November 4th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I always love to see western I-AA teams making a splash. (I think that I-AA football is the only entity in which Arkansas can be considered "West")

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM
The UCA players according to a poster on UCAFans.com were given a shirt that had this on it after the game...

http://www.ucafans.com/images/football/atu/228.jpg

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2005, 01:45 PM
With the addition of new teams, is the SLC going to be split up into North/South or East/West. There is no way a team can play all of the SLC schools in one season with the ones that were just added.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM
With the addition of new teams, is the SLC going to be split up into North/South or East/West. There is no way a team can play all of the SLC schools in one season with the ones that were just added.

What are you talking about? We have eight teams now with UCA in football. You get seven conference games (four, three) and four non-conference games.

If your talking other sports, your not reading my posts on KatFans. I've already stated what the divisions being discussed would be...

JohnStOnge
November 5th, 2005, 06:54 AM
How soon will UCA begin conference play?

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2005, 08:38 AM
How soon will UCA begin conference play?

2006 - partial SLC schedule for FB (like non-conference) as a I-AA Independent, complete SLC schedule for rest of sports (except mens' soccer - SLC does not have it)
2007 - complete SLC schedule for all

blackfordpu
November 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM
What are you talking about? We have eight teams now with UCA in football. You get seven conference games (four, three) and four non-conference games.

If your talking other sports, your not reading my posts on KatFans. I've already stated what the divisions being discussed would be...

Calm down there tiger, I just had a brain fart :o . At the time I didn't remember that not all SLC schools play football.

Yes, I have been reading the posts on katfans.

TexasTerror
November 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM
UCA in the playoffs and is slotted #5 and play #4 Albany (GA) in Georgia. Winner goes against Presbyterian (10-1) on the road. Tough road ahead, but I'm backing the Bears!

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/brackets/straight32_dyn/2005/s32dyn_DII

Bear Fan 101
November 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I thought that I would point out to the rest that UCA is NOT Co-Champions of the Gulf south, but in fact the OUTRIGHT Champions of the conference. So basically we are taking their trophy and running away with it forver!

As a side note, I havent been around for a while, but we are scheduled to play a home-and-home with Missouri State Univ. beginning next year in Conway and the return game in 2007 in Springfield, to add to the season opener in Little Rock vs UTn-Martin as well.

McTailGator
November 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I thought that I would point out to the rest that UCA is NOT Co-Champions of the Gulf south, but in fact the OUTRIGHT Champions of the conference. So basically we are taking their trophy and running away with it forver!

As a side note, I havent been around for a while, but we are scheduled to play a home-and-home with Missouri State Univ. beginning next year in Conway and the return game in 2007 in Springfield, to add to the season opener in Little Rock vs UTn-Martin as well.

I drove by your campus last month when I was on the run from Hurricane Rita, very nice indeed.

football stadium is a little small, but it is VERY nice. You guys will be a nice addition to the conference.

Looking forward to visiting the Little Rock and Conway area in the near future.

Bear Fan 101
November 7th, 2005, 11:49 AM
yeah, thanks for stopping by and looking around, now you know what our school looks like and might bring to the table. Our football stadium is small for you SLC guys, but as you noticed there is plenty of room on several fronts to upgrade and expand when the time comes. I am looking orward to the move up, despite realizing we are likely in for a few lean years right off the bat. But until then, we have a little unfinished business in our classification to take care of, starting in Albany GA this weekend ;)