PDA

View Full Version : Montana & EWU both in a Must win situation already?

GrizRchattybound
October 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
As one looks at some of the great teams from the various power conferences of the FCS, you have to think that the coveted at large bids will be in very, very, short supply especially for teams from the BSC.

The loser of this weekends game between the Griz and the Eaglets has 2 losses in the BSC. These are the two top teams as predicted by pretty much everybody. (Weber got my sleeper pick)

So I guess I am looking for a pulse here...I think the Griz will have a hard time running the table win or lose this Saturday, the gig is up, people have been waiting for a long time for this, I am really not very happy thinking about the prospect of watching another Weber State type celebration...

and that was just the Refs...I can't imagine how happy the Wildcats must have been.

xlolx xnodx xcoolx

Seriously, congrats Weber.

any thoughts, I know I am as nervous as a 4-H hog being lured into the slaughter pen.

;)

catbob
October 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I think it is a must-win for EWU, not quite as of a desperate situation for the Griz, though. The Griz would still be 4-2, and probably still in the top 25 since they would have lost to 2 top 25 teams. If they would win out, they'd finish 10-2 and most likely would get an automatic bid, though maybe not a a home game.

EWU would be out of the top 25 with a 2-4 record. They might be able to fight their way back into the top 25 but an automatic bid would be a long shot.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I think it is a must-win for EWU, not quite as of a desperate situation for the Griz, though. The Griz would still be 4-2, and probably still in the top 25 since they would have lost to 2 top 25 teams. If they would win out, they'd finish 10-2 and most likely would get an automatic bid, though maybe not a a home game.

EWU would be out of the top 25 with a 2-4 record. They might be able to fight their way back into the top 25 but an automatic bid would be a long shot.

If we lose this game we're done, no auto bid, no at large unless some SERIOUS, SERIOUS voodoo witchcraft played out in the BSC.

Should be a hell of a dogfight though given the history between these two teams and what's at stake. So glad I don't have to travel to Montana for this one... just have to roll out of bed before 10 to start drinking! xthumbsupx

FargoBison
October 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
If EWU loses they can't get 7 DI wins and would be looking at a 1-2 start in the Big Sky. They are definitely in a must win situation, Montana at 4-1 probably isn't in a must win situation quite yet.

Grizzaholic
October 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
From what people have told me the Griz could possibly lose 3 games and still be in the hunt for a playoff game. I just cannot fathom that but I would say that EWU is on the fence. Montana really needs a good performance after two weeks in a row that were just awful.

mvemjsunpx
October 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM
If EWU loses they can't get 7 DI wins and would be looking at a 1-2 start in the Big Sky. They are definitely in a must win situation, Montana at 4-1 probably isn't in a must win situation quite yet.

Yes, that's true. Whoever loses is out of the conference race (meaning the auto bid), but only EWU would be out of the playoff race too.

Green26
October 6th, 2008, 11:29 PM
CatBob, do you not understand that the location of playoff games are awarded to the team submitting the highest bid, except for the 4 seeded teams. If UM is in the playoffs, they will have a first round home playoff game--due to their always high bid.

FCS Go!
October 6th, 2008, 11:37 PM
CatBob, do you not understand that the location of playoff games are awarded to the team submitting the highest bid, except for the 4 seeded teams. If UM is in the playoffs, they will have a first round home playoff game--due to their always high bid.

Common misperception on AGS. Griz could be the last team in to a field of 16 and still host a first round game. The only way it wouldn't happen would be for them to be paired with a seed, which looks unlikely due to geography/no conf. opponent in the 1st round rule.

Green26
October 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Also, it is highly unlikely that the selection committee would put Montana on the road, and forgo the huge bid and gate at Montana. I assume the playoffs still lose considerable money. Home games at Montana, Delaware, ASU and even Montana State are very profitable for the ncaa.

Grizzaholic
October 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Also, it is highly unlikely that the selection committee would put Montana on the road, and forgo the huge bid and gate at Montana. I assume the playoffs still lose considerable money. Home games at Montana, Delaware, ASU and even Montana State are very profitable for the ncaa.

NCAA is about competition and not about moneyxwhistlex

Grizalltheway
October 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM
NCAA is about competition and not about moneyxwhistlex

xlolx Such a sweet kid...

;)

Grizzaholic
October 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM
xlolx Such a sweet kid...

;)

Why thank you. xsmiley_wix

Grizzaholic