PDA

View Full Version : Who is #1 if JMU loses this weekend

T-Dog
October 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
First off, in no way am I saying JMU will lose or predicting as such. This is strictly a "what if" scenario that has gotten me thinking. JMU plays @ Richmond (or as JMU would call it, home away from home) so its possible.

If JMU loses, surely they won't be #1 anymore (surely?). However, would App be put back into the top spot or would be stay a solid #2 and McNeese leapfrog over App. Their only loss is a 35-28 loss at FBS North Carolina. And I can't see Richmond, Cal Poly or Wofford being put back up.

McNeese has gotten more 1st place votes than App, but App is getting way more 2nd place votes thus staying at the #2 spot. So it's an interesting scenario. I think App would get it just because of respect but I don't think we'd deserve it. Heck, we've climbed back up from #5 just from other upsets.

Also, under said "what if" scenario, App and McNeese win this weekend (which they should) as does all the other "top teams"

neersnbeers
October 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Tough call. We haven't earned it yet. Id say McNeese since their only loss keeps building credibility every weekend (how bout them Heels?!).

alexale23
October 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
JMU stays #1 even if they lose

SideLine Shooter
October 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Elon

WrenFGun
October 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
LOL. Richmond is your #1 team with a win.

bandl
October 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Towson 'State'

neersnbeers
October 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hahahaha

elcid96
October 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM
McNeese

Eight Legger
If we beat JMU, I think JMU remains #1 and Richmond falls 4-5 spots in the poll.

FargoBison
Wow, that would create quite a mess in my poll, there would be about five or six teams that could make solid arguments in being #1.

mcveyrl
October 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I refuse to comment on this thread.

Wait. Damn it!!

StrikeJMU
October 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM
my bet is that Richmond's team will emulate their fans and just not show up.

Eight Legger
October 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yep, that's likely. Because we average 2-3 times as many fans as we have students, while you average the same number of fans as students.

elcid96
October 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Is this now smack

StrikeJMU
October 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Aww...excuses and claims that you can't prove are adorable.

mcveyrl
October 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Is this now smack

It's quickly approaching.

LehighFan11
October 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
If it was a close loss I would leave JMU at #1 and move Richmond to 3 probably.

alexale23
October 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
JMu will prolly move to #4
with APP #1
Mcneese #2
UR#3

then we will hop UR if we beat villanova

BeauFoster
October 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
JMu will prolly move to #4
with APP #1
Mcneese #2
UR#3

then we will hop UR if we beat villanova

Holy crap! The first post that I have ever read from alexa that makes sense!

beauvighn
October 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I say Le Citadel........Oh no wait.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rob Iola
October 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
UNH maintains their #1 position, assuming they win in Williamsburg, er, Durham...

StrikeJMU
October 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Got to hope W&M does their jobs this weekend.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well, since we sell out every home game, they have to cap the student admission to 5,000 per game. So, it would be virtually impossible to draw the entire student body.

Also, we are located in the metropolis that is Harrisonburg, Va ... while you are in Richmond ... I would expect you to be more successful in tapping those resources. Oh well.

If JMU loses a close game...

#1 ASU
#2 UR
#3 JMU
#4 McNeese

If JMU wins (regardless of spread), well, nothing changes and the Spiders fall 3-4 and Villanova jumps them.

GannonFan
October 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm keeping UNH #1 as long as they beat W&M in Durham this weekend. Gotta respect the undefeated team.

elcid96
October 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
What if Samford beats APP?

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I'm keeping UNH #1 as long as they beat W&M in Durham this weekend. Gotta respect the undefeated team.

It's a long season, but with JMU and UNH not playing each other for the first time in a few years ... it would be pretty cool if both went undefeated in conference play. Very unlikely, but if that were the case they would have to be #1 and #2 respectively entering the playoffs. Again, just speculation and doubtful but cool to think nonetheless

bandl
October 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Not is NOT part of the equation in this thread!!! xwhistlex

GannonFan
October 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
It's a long season, but with JMU and UNH not playing each other for the first time in a few years ... it would be pretty cool if both went undefeated in conference play. Very unlikely, but if that were the case they would have to be #1 and #2 respectively entering the playoffs. Again, just speculation and doubtful but cool to think nonetheless

UNH gets UMass's favorable schedule from last year. Basically, UNH's season will be two games late in the year - at nova and home against UMass. JMU's still got at Richmond, at nova, and home against UD that could trip them up. Plenty of games to be played, although I think UNH has already locked up a playoff spot.

ASUG8
October 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM

#1 ASU
#2 UR
#3 JMU
#4 McNeese

If JMU wins (regardless of spread), well, nothing changes and the Spiders fall 3-4 and Villanova jumps them.

I agree with you, although it's hard to penalize McNeese if they win this week also. I'm a little uneasy (assuming an App win, mind you) with a 4-2 team at #1 although they have two quality losses (if there is such a thing). JMU would be in the same boat, with a convincing win against us and losses to an improving Duke program and a top 5 conference team.

But, I could be completely wrong - wouldn't be the first time.

alexale23
October 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
APP will be at the top again no doubt.

ASUG8
October 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM

You know, a few weeks ago I might have laughed at you but not so much anymore. They aren't quite top of the conference yet, but they aren't the bottom either. I'm not taking any game lightly this year because we still have the big target on us and every team wants to take us down.

thmst30
October 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
We don't deserve #1 even if JMU gets blown out somehow. I think keeping us at 2 or 3 is fair, but we haven't been the best team this. If we play a close game against Samford then we should drop to around 5 or lower.

ur2k
October 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Well, since we sell out every home game, they have to cap the student admission to 5,000 per game. So, it would be virtually impossible to draw the entire student body.

Also, we are located in the metropolis that is Harrisonburg, Va ... while you are in Richmond ... I would expect you to be more successful in tapping those resources. Oh well.

xdeadhorsex

elcid96
October 6th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid96

You know, a few weeks ago I might have laughed at you but not so much anymore. They aren't quite top of the conference yet, but they aren't the bottom either. I'm not taking any game lightly this year because we still have the big target on us and every team wants to take us down.

Elon crushed WCU and only lost to ELON by 6. Elon is a great team and Samford should not be disregarded.

BDKJMU
October 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
UNH gets UMass's favorable schedule from last year. Basically, UNH's season will be two games late in the year - at nova and home against UMass. JMU's still got at Richmond, at nova, and home against UD that could trip them up. Plenty of games to be played, although I think UNH has already locked up a playoff spot.

UNH still has @ Northeastern. Parsons is tough to play at, and NE has beaten UNH the last 2 seasons. NE has had one of the toughest schedules so far, @ now 6-0 and ranked Ball State, 30-21 loss @ Syracuse (Yes, I know Cuse sucks for a BCS but they're still BCS) and OT loss @ GSU. Add in solid wins over UC davis & Towson, NE is one of the better 2-3 teams in the country. NE has UNH, UMass, and Nova all at home. I think they pull the upset in one of those 3.

Sure its likely UNH beats NE, but its certainly not a given. I would say right now UNH's season will be 5 games:
-W&M this weekend (only IF Phillips is healthy).
-@ NE
-@ Nova
-UMass
-@ Maine (would be a gimme at home, not on the road)

I think the only gimmes they have are Towson & Hofstra at home between the NE & Nova games.

I woud agree that UNH is close to a lock for the playoffs.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
xdeadhorsex

I know, I know. If I were a UR fan I'd be sick of these comments too. But I was just responding to the previous comment and defending JMU having "only" 5,000 students at each game with a 17,000 + enrollment.

th0m
October 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I don't think JMU'll remain #1, ASU will probably slide into the #1 position (if they beat Samford, of course ;)). Richmond goes up to 2, but I don't see how McNeese should be ahead of us, even if we lose. I know this is a different discussion altogether, but I don't see why they are so high up at all, or were rewarded in #1 votes in eeking by SDSU in triple overtime.

Should JMU lose, McNeese State win:

JMU:
played 3 top FIVE schools, beat two of them. Overall D-I record would be 5-2. Losses to Duke and #4 Richmond.

McNeese State:
played 1 top 25 school, beat them in triple OT. Overall D-I record would be 2-1. Loss to UNC.

Eight Legger
October 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM

#1 ASU
#2 UR
#3 JMU
#4 McNeese

Gotcha, so your first home game had an attendance of 15,518, your second 15,747 and your third 17,163. I guess all of them were sellouts?Seems like another 1300 or so students could have come to a few of those games if they really wanted to....I bet they could have afforded to pay for tickets.

th0m
October 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Gotcha, so your first home game had an attendance of 15,518, your second 15,747 and your third 17,163. I guess all of them were sellouts?Seems like another 1300 or so students could have come to a few of those games if they really wanted to....I bet they could have afforded to pay for tickets.

Well you know, ASU is able to cram an extra 8-10k extra people into their own stadium, so I'm sure for the JMU-ASU game they simply applied that same nifty Mountaineer-trick at Bridgeforth. The had me fooled xpeacex