PDA

View Full Version : Student Tickets at your school

Go_Herd
October 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hey all

At NDSU we have allotted 4,000 tickets for the students (enrollment 13,329). There has been a lot of bitching from students who don't get tickets because they feel that they pay activity fees and thus every student who wants should be allowed into the game. Obviously you can't do this because of the stadium cap and the season ticket holders and GA.

I am making up a plan for having a point based type system to get tickets for the students. Been talking to our student president and if I come up with something reasonable, he will present it to the higher ups.

Go to a volleyball game...get some points
Go to a soccer game......get some points

Etc....
Maybe your year in college will also hold some weight or be a multiplier

This way for the premium games or playoffs, a certain point level will get you preferred students tickets or you'll be the first ones to get tickets. This way the 'super fans' will always be at your games and it rewards students for going to all NDSU sports.

Comments, Ideas....What does your school do?

danefan
October 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a good problem to have.

Most of us could only wish.

SuperJon
October 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Any student with an ID card can get into the game. We don't cap it at all.

SideLine Shooter
October 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hey all

At NDSU we have allotted 4,000 tickets for the students (enrollment 13,329). There has been a lot of bitching from students who don't get tickets because they feel that they pay activity fees and thus every student who wants should be allowed into the game. Obviously you can't do this because of the stadium cap and the season ticket holders and GA.

I am making up a plan for having a point based type system to get tickets for the students. Been talking to our student president and if I come up with something reasonable, he will present it to the higher ups.

Etc....

This way for the premium games or playoffs, a certain point level will get you preferred students tickets or you'll be the first ones to get tickets. This way the 'super fans' will always be at your games and it rewards students for going to all NDSU sports.

Sounds like a very good plan to me.xthumbsupx

ToTheLeft
October 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM

And it's a glorious, glorious thing.

89Hen
October 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I like the idea of those who support the other sports get priority, but I'm not sure you will get enough people with any points to make a difference. What I mean is even if 2,000 students score some points by attending another sport, you still have 2,000 students who will get football tickets with zero points.

The other problem is your freshman would be absolutely screwed since they'd have no seniority points and no other sports to even go to prior to the start of the season. I'm not sure you want to introduce frosh's to NDSU sports by being shutout of football games.

Speaking of that, has anyone seen what they do at Vandy at the first home football game each year? They have all the freshmen in attendance lead the team onto the field. Very cool. xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
October 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Does the Fire Marshall cap it is the question.

Go_Herd
October 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I like the idea of those who support the other sports get priority, but I'm not sure you will get enough people with any points to make a difference. What I mean is even if 2,000 students score some points by attending another sport, you still have 2,000 students who will get football tickets with zero points.

The other problem is your freshman would be absolutely screwed since they'd have no seniority points and no other sports to even go to prior to the start of the season. I'm not sure you want to introduce frosh's to NDSU sports by being shutout of football games.

Speaking of that, has anyone seen what they do at Vandy at the first home football game each year? They have all the freshmen in attendance lead the team onto the field. Very cool. xthumbsupx

Yeah good point about that....would need to be addressed.

Does any school do like a point based system....Montana.....App St?

Millwoch
October 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
A football game is a mandatory activity!!!!!!!!

andy7171
October 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Towson is starting up a point system to encourage going to sporting events. The more points you get, you qualify for free stuff and other things. Pretty cool.

http://www.towsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21300&KEY=&ATCLID=1568208

Go_Herd
October 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Towson is starting up a point system to encourage going to sporting events. The more points you get, you qualify for free stuff and other things. Pretty cool.

http://www.towsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21300&KEY=&ATCLID=1568208

That's pretty sweet. Thanks Andy

texcap
October 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM

They do that at Baylor too, although I think they do it for every home game, not just the first one.

Of course it is questionable if they really play football at Baylor in recent years.xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
October 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hey all

Etc....

Wow

The points thing is a great idea. It should get students out to those non revenue games and help recruiting and ultimately ticket sales in other sports in the distant future.

McNeese is a small school, and we don't have that problem. They would just have to sit on the hills in the endzones if push came to shove..

But the points thing is a great idea.

texcap
October 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM

App State does not restrict students. If you have an ID you get in. That is tarting to create some problems because it limits the number of other seats that can be sold. If the student attendance is off it is too late to sale those empty seats. It has been discussed on the MMB that students be required to commit to the game on Monday and then open up any unused student seats on Tuesday. Not sure how that would work though.

EmeryZach
October 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
If you have a student ID you can get into the game. Only the first 2,500 get to sit on the home side though. The rest are forced to sit on the away side. They don't scan the ID's though, so I still use mine to get in even though I already graduated.

brownbear
October 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Brown lets all students free to all sporting events free with an ID (for playoff games, they usually have the first 500 get in free). I wish we had more students go to football games, but the school doesn't promote it like it should.

This past year, Brown started a student fan club where you get points for going to any sporting events, and you get free stuff from it. The only problem is they make you pay $20 up front to join, so most students think it's just a scam.

appfan2008
October 6th, 2008, 11:36 AM
All students at ASU are allowed into the game... they must print off a paper ticket to be scanned at the gate and then show their ticket and student ID at the gate... but they are all allowed in and we average about 10k students per game...

jmu007
October 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
JMU allows all students with an ID to enter. (or at least they did as of May 2007) With the exceptions of Parents' Day and Homecoming, both of which approx 5,500 or so student tickets are distributed for free at the convocation center.

appfan2008
October 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
If you have a student ID you can get into the game. Only the first 2,500 get to sit on the home side though. The rest are forced to sit on the away side. They don't scan the ID's though, so I still use mine to get in even though I already graduated.

dont you feel like you are scamming your alma mater?

Bearkat-Backer
October 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
At Sam you can get into the Visitors section free w/ a student ID. If you want to sit on the Home side you have to buy tickets like everyone else.

Maroon&White
October 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
dont you feel like you are scamming your alma mater?

Jersey kids. xnonono2x

bjtheflamesfan
October 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Nope..we have never had an issue with the fire marshal at football games SS. COurse We have been around capacity for the last couple years

SuperJon
October 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM

As TTL said, we don't have to worry about it. I don't know if you've ever seen our stadium, but we have a huge hill that wraps around the visitors locker room. We could easily fit 4000 on that hill if need be.

Our entire "visitors side" is now the student side and we've moved the visiting team's section to the "Baptist side."

This is our student side:

http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2816214590964cd1e30cgt4.jpg

We pack students in like sardines, and a lot of times the aisles are full as well. We're not at the level of some schools quite yet, but we've quickly become one of the top 15 or so schools attendance wise. We're expecting record breaking crowds the next three weekends and could get 20,000 for homecoming in a stadium that only seats 12,000 and three years ago was lucky to have 4000 there for a game.

MSUBear42
October 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM

That's the way we are, although if you're a member of "Maroon Madness," for 10 a year you get better seats, 2 shirts, plus different gifts depending on how many events you attend:

WALK-ON - Upon joining Maroon Madness, you will receive a FREE Maroon Madness t-shirt and ID
tag to scan at future athletic events. (Picked up starting the first week of school)

STARTER - 5 events attended

You will receive a prize pack of FREE food and other certificates from area businesses.

MVP - 10 events attended

You will receive a FREE pair of Russell Athletic Shorts.

ALL-CONFERENCE - 18 events attended

You will receive a FREE pair of Russell Athletic Fleece Pants.

ALL-AMERICAN - 28 events attended

You will receive a FREE Russell Athletic Pullover Hoodie.

ToTheLeft
October 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
That's the way we are, although if you're a member of "Maroon Madness," for 10 a year you get better seats, 2 shirts, plus different gifts depending on how many events you attend:

WALK-ON - Upon joining Maroon Madness, you will receive a FREE Maroon Madness t-shirt and ID
tag to scan at future athletic events. (Picked up starting the first week of school)

STARTER - 5 events attended

You will receive a prize pack of FREE food and other certificates from area businesses.

MVP - 10 events attended

You will receive a FREE pair of Russell Athletic Shorts.

ALL-CONFERENCE - 18 events attended

You will receive a FREE pair of Russell Athletic Fleece Pants.

ALL-AMERICAN - 28 events attended

You will receive a FREE Russell Athletic Pullover Hoodie.

We need something like this... I would have so much free stuff.

SuperJon
October 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
We need something like this... I would have so much free stuff.

They would do it with the Student Flames Club, not the LUnatics.

ToTheLeft
October 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Obviously, but I would sign up for SFC if they did a promotion like that. It's not like they can't afford to give away free bookstore stuff to people who go to games... they give away discounted bookstore stuff to people who don't even go to any games....

Eight Legger
October 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
All students get in free with IDs at UR. Usually, though, there are already 5,000 JMU students in our stadium, so this makes it difficult to fit in all of our own. xlolx

Skjellyfetti
October 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Appalachian started using a point system last year to encourage attendance at other sports. For football you print a ticket off and bring it to the game. Here's App's point policy:

The Maniacs use Appalachian State athletic events as a vehicle to build student involvement and foster Mountaineer pride. Through its active involvement in Appalachian State athletic events, the Mountaineer Maniacs seek to provide ASU students the complete college experience and establish life-long friendships with fellow Mountaineers through shared activities, experiences and pride. Lastly, the Mountaineer Maniacs mission is to help our athletics programs succeed by providing enthusiastic and spirited support at competitions, thus giving ASU an imposing home field advantage!

Joining the Mountaineer Maniacs is quick, easy and best of all: FREE!

This program is for current ASU students only.

Last year our top 50 Maniacs enjoyed the chance for National Championship & ASU/LSU tickets, as well as lunch with Dr. Peacock! Plus much, much, more!

Each time you attend a ticketed Appalachian State athletic event you will earn a point. Student points will be tracked through the GoASU.com student ticketing website. The following sports will require a ticket for entrance into the stadium or arena: football, volleyball, men's basketball, women's basketball and baseball. Once the ticket is scanned at the entrance to the stadiums or arena the points will automatically be added to the students account.

1 point = football, men's basketball, baseball
2 points = volleyball, women's basketball

Students will be rewarded with prizes for the number of athletic events they attend throughout the entire 2008-09 school year.

Prizes Include
10 Points: Milkshake from Troy's 105 Diner
20 Points: Free Lunch At Boone Drug and an ASU Croakie
30 Points: ASU Beanie and Autographed Photo Of Your Favorite Mountaineer (choose one of the following: Armanti Edwards, Pierre Banks, Frances Hernadez, Sam Rameriez, Kellen Brand, Ike Butts, Lauren Swecker, Carla Durham)
40 Points: Framed Sports Illustrated
50 Points: Lunch With Dr. Peacock

Grand Prize: TBD

Will be awarded to the top overall point leader at the end of the Spring Semester. (Last year's prize was a mountain bike, Nike team bag, and a $100 gift card to Sagebrush Steakhouse)

Bonus events will be held throughout the year at certain athletic contests (ex. field hockey, soccer, softball, etc...). These bonus events will allow students the opportunity to earn extra points.

Once a student reaches the point level listed above they will be allowed to pick up their prize from the Marketing Table located at any volleyball, women's basketball, men's basketball or baseball game.

So be loyal and enjoy great action on the field and great prizes off of it!

Also, remember that we have student sections on both sides of "The Rock" This Year!

The West Side Student Sections are 1-6 and The East Side Student Sections are Lower 112,113,114 and Upper Section 217 & 218.

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1524557

Appstate29
October 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM

We do not have a points system to get into the games, although I can see it moving in that direction. WE DO have a points system for getting tickets to special events and prizes. You get double points for going to all the non-rev sports (WBB, VB (who doesn't want to go to that anyway), Soccer, ect. ect.) and one point for baseball MBB, and football. At the end of the year you can get cool prizes like a jersey or dinner with Peacock and what-not, and you also get first dibs (for students) on nat'l championship tickets.

BEAR
October 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM
If I'm correct, at UCA students pay an athletic fee and use their IDs to get into games. I don't think UCA can stop 13k students from entering the stadium because they made the contract with them in the athletic fees. However, they can be forced to the endzone SRO if all the seats are empty. I think 15k could fit in the stadium if 7 stood around the back of the endzones and some even outside the fence on the hillside. But that would be tight! Legally don't schools have to honor athletic fees as entry to a stadium even if it overflows? (Yes, I understand the fire safety thing)

Here's a pic of the Henderson St. game when the seats overflowed and the crowd had to stand in the back of the endzone. Right in front of them about 10 or so feet away is the back of the endzone. Yikes! xlolx (Thanks to Trey of UCAFANS.COM)

http://sandbox.ucafans.com/photostack/thumb.php?gallery=./Football/Henderson%20State&image=DSC_0234.JPG&width=500&height=500

Thundering_Herd
October 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM

way to support your alma mater,...cheap-a$$! xpeacex

DOME
October 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm a year out of school but when I was at UNI they started charging an "Athletics Fee" so all students got in free to every sporting event. They scan ID's so you can't pass-back or get in free after graduation. Once they opened the new McLeod Center (BBall and stuff) they started having students get tickets by going to the ticket office and scan their ID then you'd get an actual ticket. They opened this up a week or so before game day. I think they started doing the same last year for Football games as well. Kinda sucks for the people that never go to a single game their whole college career, but those are the people that suck themselves so it works.

Husky Alum
October 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Not that it matters, but NU students get in for nothing at Parsons.

Only a couple hundred of them show up, anyway.

If it ain't played on ice with a puck, the students don't go.

We get more students to travel to Boston College of Boston University to PAY to go to a hockey game than to attend our own football games.

This weekend for UMass should be fun.

BEAR
October 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm a year out of school but when I was at UNI they started charging an "Athletics Fee" so all students got in free to every sporting event. They scan ID's so you can't pass-back or get in free after graduation. Once they opened the new McLeod Center (BBall and stuff) they started having students get tickets by going to the ticket office and scan their ID then you'd get an actual ticket. They opened this up a week or so before game day. I think they started doing the same last year for Football games as well. Kinda sucks for the people that never go to a single game their whole college career, but those are the people that suck themselves so it works.

xscanx

Kymermosst
October 6th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Just this past week UMass started having to give out wristbands to only let 2500 students on the home side, the rest onto the visitors side. Our stadium has very few amenities, so if you can flash your ID card, you can get in.

We've only recently had to deal with the issue of having too many people, so it'll be interesting to see what we come up with to handle it. It's a good problem to have though.

With the points-groups, UMass started one about 4 years ago. $20 to join and you got a t-shirt, a few special events throughout the year (breakfasts/lunches with coaches, meeting the teams, etc). You got a point for football or men's basketball, 2 for hockey or LAX, 4 for women's basketball..etc, and at the end of the year there were prizes for the top point-getters. I think the first year the top person had somewhere around 160 points and won a $500 Best Buy Gift Card. Now they track it less, and don't give out as many prizes, but they do more bus trips. There is supposed to be preferred seating for those students, but no one enforces it, so it's really $20 for a t-shirt and some emails.

Those students did get to buy playoff tickets before other students though.