football game and to visit the city. To say I was impressed is putting it
mildly. It's never fun to watch your alma mater lose a football game,
particularly so emphatically, but in the process I got to see a prosperous and
lively looking city as well as an outstanding football program at the
university. In addition I was "taken in" on Friday evening by a group of people
in a local sports bar - Susan, Stacey, Annie, Steve and others - who bought me
drinks and made me feel at home in their group, and, finally, I was given a
ticket to the game by another nice guy - Ken Stam of Chinook - whom I met at
breakfast at Finnegan's on Saturday morning.

This was a dazzling display of hospitality, particularly when juxtaposed with
the enormous show of support for the U of Montana football program from the
23,000 fans at the superb Grizzly Stadium. I vote Missoula the number one
college football town in America.

Thanks, folks, for a truly memorable 24 hours.

Peter Grundfossen
Salt Lake City

cc. Pat Squire, Director
Alumni Relations
PSU

bandl
November 3rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Yet another reason I put a UM game (and the rest of Montana) on my list of places to visit in 2006. Seriously...I'm going to make it happen. Montana State is visiting team next season, right??

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
MSU visits our friendly confines in 2006.http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/images/smiles/thumb.gif But I would come eariler in the season so that you can see the sights before the weather turns too chilly. A Sept. or early Oct. game. Also you would have a devil of a time getting a Griz/Cat ticket.

bandl
November 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
MSU visits our friendly confines in 2006.http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/images/smiles/thumb.gif But I would come eariler in the season so that you can see the sights before the weather turns too chilly. A Sept. or early Oct. game. Also you would have a devil of a time getting a Griz/Cat ticket.

Thanks for the advice...I was actually talking with another poster last week or so about getting up there. It doesn't seem to matter which game I go to...they'll all be sold out!

Too bad my alma mater won't make it up there anytime soon...would I get a shotgun up the shooter for wearing a "James Madison University 2004 I-AA National Championship" shirt??? ;) Just kidding...the hospitality in that part of the country is legendary, and I'm sure I ain't got nothin' to worry about except a "Congrats on a great game in '04....hope we'll get to whoop you guys in the future." :D

grizband
November 3rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the advice...I was actually talking with another poster last week or so about getting up there. It doesn't seem to matter which game I go to...they'll all be sold out!

Too bad my alma mater won't make it up there anytime soon...would I get a shotgun up the shooter for wearing a "James Madison University 2004 I-AA National Championship" shirt??? ;) Just kidding...the hospitality in that part of the country is legendary, and I'm sure I ain't got nothin' to worry about except a "Congrats on a great game in '04....hope we'll get to whoop you guys in the future." :D
That's probably all most of us would give you :) There are some in every bunch who...

Jacks99
November 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
A trip to Montana for the Sept 9th game vs SDSU may be in order. Have a place to stay in Billings, which should work if it's an afternoon game.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
A trip to Montana for the Sept 9th game vs SDSU may be in order. Have a place to stay in Billings, which should work if it's an afternoon game.

Only in Montana could a "place to stay" located 300 miles from the game be considered acceptable. God I love that state!!!

BTW, the game will most likely kick off at noon, which means you'd have to start driving about 4:00a.m. to get there by kickoff...better start looking for something a TAD closer! :nod: :nod:

grizband
November 3rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Only in Montana could a "place to stay" located 300 miles from the game be considered acceptable. God I love that state!!!

BTW, the game will most likely kick off at noon, which means you'd have to start driving about 4:00a.m. to get there by kickoff...better start looking for something a TAD closer! :nod: :nod:

Yeah, if you can't get someplace in Missoula, at least look in Butte or Deer Lodge. They are alot closer (110 and 85 miles, respectively). They you might get to the stadium in time for some of our tailgating.

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2005, 06:19 PM

Az, Jacks was talking about a Sept. 9 game which would be a 1:05 start. Are we playing you guys at home again next year Jacks?

Hansel
November 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Az, Jacks was talking about a Sept. 9 game which would be a 1:05 start. Are we playing you guys at home again next year Jacks?
I beleive SDSU IS playing at Missoula again next year, the way it sounds is that it is a 2 for 1 deal :)

ngineer
November 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Sounds great. One of those 'experiences' (like making it to Wrigley and Fenway) that one has to do at least once. Hopefully my Engineering Mountain Hawks can get invited there some day :D

WYOBISONMAN
November 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
I beleive SDSU IS playing at Missoula again next year, the way it sounds is that it is a 2 for 1 deal :)

Yep......so far the Griz have no taste for heading to Fargo.....I wonder why? :rolleyes:

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2005, 09:28 PM

Noon, 1:05, you'd still have to leave Billings at Oh-Dark:30 to get there in time to even introduce yourself to the person sitting next to you before the kickoff...not my idea of a good time. 7-8 hr drive, followed by 3 1/2 hrs sitting in Wa-Griz. Well, at least you finish strong!!! :nod: :nod:

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2005, 09:30 PM
Yep......so far the Griz have no taste for heading to Fargo.....I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Careful BisonMan, you're sounding perilously like Hampton fans with that crapola...we'll be there soon, don't you fret none... ;) ;)

Rabbitlivinginverm
November 3rd, 2005, 10:05 PM

It's already on my docket for 2006 :D

Jacks99
November 4th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Ok, I refreshed my Montana geography. I thought Billings was closer. Anyway it could still be a nice vacation trip, just have to find a closer place to stay.

ButlerGSU
November 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM
UM and GSU should play each other in the regular season more often. I would love to travel up in early October or late September. We could make it a home and away, you guys would love Statesboro in November. Tomorrow the high is 84 with no chance of rain...

grizband
November 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
UM and GSU should play each other in the regular season more often. I would love to travel up in early October or late September. We could make it a home and away, you guys would love Statesboro in November. Tomorrow the high is 84 with no chance of rain...
Tomorrow the high here in Missoula is 39, with chances of rain and snow. And it will get worse before it will get better.

Russ B
November 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Helena's not too far away, IIRC, and has some nice bed and breakfasty places.

putter
November 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM

4 a.m. --> :eek: How slow are you driving AZ?

Jacks99
November 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM

No kidding, I've driven through Montana, and would think you could do the drive in under 5hrs. However that's 10 hours in one day, I will be looking for other options.

putter
November 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
No kidding, I've driven through Montana, and would think you could do the drive in under 5hrs. However that's 10 hours in one day, I will be looking for other options.

Under 5 hours would be closer to it, unless you wanted to do A-LOT of tailgating and arrive very early. Butte, Helena, and Great Falls all will be just over a 2 hour drive so whereever you can fly into.

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2005, 02:52 PM

OK, OK. Maybe he needs to get UP at 4:00 a.m....Don't focus on the details, focus on the point! Who the F wants to drive from Billings to Missoula, watch a game, and drive back? :eek: :eek: Unless I'm riding a bus, it ain't going to be me...I don't care if it's 4, 5, 6, 8 hrs, whatever...

I have a warped view of time, given that most of my driving is with my wife and two kids...we MUST stop every 100 miles to eat, drink, walk around, shop, and otherwise waste time. It apparently is mandatory in the copy of the Wife's Manual that she has...

Hell, I'm going up the Flagstaff for the game tomorrow, and I'm leaving TODAY!!! And not coming back until Sunday! must.....make.....room....for.....beer!

putter
November 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM
OK, OK. Maybe he needs to get UP at 4:00 a.m....Don't focus on the details, focus on the point! Who the F wants to drive from Billings to Missoula, watch a game, and drive back? :eek: :eek: Unless I'm riding a bus, it ain't going to be me...I don't care if it's 4, 5, 6, 8 hrs, whatever...

I have a warped view of time, given that most of my driving is with my wife and two kids...we MUST stop every 100 miles to eat, drink, walk around, shop, and otherwise waste time. It apparently is mandatory in the copy of the Wife's Manual that she has...

Hell, I'm going up the Flagstaff for the game tomorrow, and I'm leaving TODAY!!! And not coming back until Sunday! must.....make.....room....for.....beer!

That's too funny! :D I understand it all, must be because of my wife and two kids!!