PDA

View Full Version : Independent I-AA Champs??

Hansel
November 3rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
How many IAA champs have come from independent/or non-autobid conferences?, I know YSU and GSU were indies for a some of theirs, but not sure on the number.

GannonFan
November 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
How many IAA champs have come from independent/or non-autobid conferences?, I know YSU and GSU were indies for a some of theirs, but not sure on the number.

I think the only ones are YSU and GSU - all of YSU's titles except for the last one in '97 came when they were independent. I think GSU didn't start playing in the SoCon until 1991, so that would make their first 4 titles either independent or whereever they were before that. UD was an independent in 1982 but lost to EKU in the championship.

ThreadStopper
November 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
If the selection commitee would open thing up a bit you would have a much better chance for a independent champion. All this talk about three teams from a single conference is dissappointing. If you can't win your confernce do you really belong in the playoffs? Let San Diego, Coastal Carolina and the likes play.

GSUISBACK
November 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Whats with all this san diego talk who have they beat?

Reed Rothchild
November 3rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
I think the only ones are YSU and GSU - all of YSU's titles except for the last one in '97 came when they were independent. I think GSU didn't start playing in the SoCon until 1991, so that would make their first 4 titles either independent or whereever they were before that. UD was an independent in 1982 but lost to EKU in the championship.

I-AA Fan will lead you to believe that the reason for YSU's fall from grace has been because they joined the Gateway.

ASU Kep
November 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
If the selection commitee would open thing up a bit you would have a much better chance for a independent champion. All this talk about three teams from a single conference is dissappointing. If you can't win your confernce do you really belong in the playoffs? Let San Diego, Coastal Carolina and the likes play.

Yah, shame on those that don't spend the first 11 weeks of the season beating up on pansies (Hampton, CCU). If you can make it out of the SOCON, A-10, etc. you have the intestinal fortitude required to win the playoffs. Playing good teams makes you better, and it also proves that you are a good one also. To put it in non-I-AA terms, will a one loss SEC team beat an undefeated Sunbelt opponent? Every time.
But will a one loss SEC team beat a certain 6-2 SOCON team? Nope. :D .

Guess we'll see on Saturday.

DetroitFlyer
November 4th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Ralph:

Exactly how much does a 1-AA program have to spend to be worthy of a bid to the 1-AA playoffs in your opinion? A 1-AA team like San Diego or Dayton that does not provide scholarships should not be excluded on that basis alone. I would not be suprised to learn that Dayton "spends" more on football than some 1-AA "scholarship" schools. The bottom line is now and has been for a number of years, the PFL is a 1-AA football league, it has more than enough members to qualify for an autobid, the champion every year meets the minimum requirements for an autobid and the PFL commish. should request and receive an autobid for our champion.