PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 10-4

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Home field. That is the theme for this week. History has shown, within the conference, that home field has been the great equalizer. There are four inter-conference games this weekend and of the four, one could argue that the favorite is the visitor in three of them. Think this week we can get some clarity as to who is going to step up and take control? Or will it be even more muddled come Sunday. Currently I sit at 28-5 so far. That said, here are my picks for the Big Sky conference this week. All are just my opinions and all open for discussion (maybe a lot more discussion this week)...

EWU @ PSU---The Eagles, after looking like barnbusters playing both Texas Tech and Colorado well, have stumbled a little in the friendly confines of Cheney. This week, a return to the road as they head to Portland to take on the Vikings, who are playing their first home game since opening weekend. Both like to pass and both defenses are suspect. Can anyone say shootout?...PSU 48, EWU 45.

UM @ WSU---The Griz rebuilding? Yeah, sure. They only went through the nonconference slate undefeated as usual. Still, this is a tough test as the Wildcats want to prove they belong in the conference race and would rather face the Griz in Ogden instead of Missoula. A great game in store, the only bad thing is the loser may have a tough road ahead...UM 30, WSU 28.

MSU @ ISU---Last week the Cats surprised some by the ease that they put away South Dakota. Last week the Bengals surprised some by staying with conference power EWU through much of the game. Who will continue their success from last week?...MSU 21, ISU 17.

UNC @ UC-Davis---Close can best describe the Bears season so far. Close and then victory is snatched away from them. This week, they are the only team not playing within the conference as they visit UC-Davis, a team equally inept at closing out ballgames so far. Close, but no cigar...UC-Davis 24, UNC 20.

Sac State @ NAU---How good are the Hornets. Just a couple plays from being 5-0 at this point. How good are the Jacks. Squeakers the last two weeks against two teams that are not powerhouses in any sense of the word. This is only the second road game for the Hornets all year, and it is also the second home game for the Jacks...NAU 27, Sac State 25.

There you have them. We'll see how it all comes out in the wash. Have at it!

I Bleed Purple
October 2nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
You'll go 0-5.

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
You'll go 0-5.

I do that, I'm still a respectable 28-10.xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 2nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
A lot of great matchups this week, and some promise to be close... but I doubt they're all by a TD or less. I think Davis is going come out strong being back at home and putting up with 3 close losses. And of course, I don't think PSU is going to hang more than 40 on EWU. EWU will however definitely score more than 30 on PSU.

EWU 52 - PSU 38
UM 31 - WSU 30
MSU 28 - ISU 10
UCD 35 - UNC 24
NAU 32 - SSU 27

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
A lot of great matchups this week, and some promise to be close... but I doubt they're all by a TD or less. I think Davis is going come out strong being back at home and putting up with 3 close losses. And of course, I don't think PSU is going to hang more than 40 on EWU. EWU will however definitely score more than 30 on PSU.

EWU 52 - PSU 38
UM 31 - WSU 30
MSU 28 - ISU 10
UCD 35 - UNC 24
NAU 32 - SSU 27

Home field is always a big thing in conference, more so than records. I have confidence the home team will go at least 3-2 this week. One could change the PSU/EWU game and the UM/WSU game and still have the home team 3-2, but I like my picks.

You think the EWU/PSU will be 38-38 at the end of three?:D

Screamin_Eagle174
October 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Home field is always a big thing in conference, more so than records. I have confidence the home team will go at least 3-2 this week. One could change the PSU/EWU game and the UM/WSU game and still have the home team 3-2, but I like my picks.

You think the EWU/PSU will be 38-38 at the end of three?:D

I sure as hell hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised. xbawlingx

drpnut
October 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Sac. St. and NAU: NAU by 14

Portland State and EWU: EWU by 7

MSU and ISU: Cats by 14

NCU and UC-DAvis: Davis by 20

Montana and WEber St.: Upset special: WEber by 3

already123
October 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Too Close to call....NAU/SAC and EWU/PSU IMO

I like Weber by a score (doesnt matter what kind)

I like MSU's defense to come up big against ISU...I say they win by 17

UNC has worked too hard to leave without a win. Plus, I like their cover 2 scheme against Davis passing game. Look for their young QB to get confused by UNCs third down "prowl" defense

catbob
October 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
MSU is fairly banged up right now.

We will be without our starting DT and his backup. Otherwise, defensively we are fine.

We may also be without our starting TE (our leading WR in yardage and TDs), though he may be back, and another starting WR is out for sure. The WR isn't a huge loss as he wasn't doing crap anyway - maybe someone off the bench could provide a spark.

wapiti
October 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
I think EWU's defense makes a return against PSU and EWU will win by 14.

Weber will BBQ the Griz by 17. Which will lead Wolfie to starting at least two new anti Hauck Threads. One in smack and one in Discussion.

The Cats take ISU by 14, but I am biased.

NAU will take down Sac St by 10

UNC will lose to UC Davis by 2.

Grizaholic17
October 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
EWU will handle PSU, as they have had time to recuperate and get back to full health.

MSU will take ISU down pretty easily

NAU and Sac St. is really a close game with both teams doing surprisingly well in non-conference play. I like the score posted though. NAU wins by a field goal.

As for UM and WSU, who knows? I don't know how to call this one at all.

putter
October 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with your pics except NAU/SAC. I think SAC will get the close win.

EdubAlum
October 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
JALMOND must be the admin over at the PSU fans forum:) i think the weather will be the intangible. that being said, i don't care that PSU has the number one passing offense in the country right now, it's only translated to an average of 20.5 points per game. i think PSU will play well, but in the end, EWU by 2 touchdowns. More if it's pouring like it is in portland today, and both teams have to run.

DuckDuckGriz
October 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Montana will beat Weber State 27-21

putter
October 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Mr C will be at the game. considering the games he has been at the higher ranked team has lost, maybe I may have to change one prediction!? xeyebrowx

Grizo406
October 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
EWU @ PSU...I think EWU wins this one by two scores.
UM @ WSU...Just a hunch, but Weber wins...convincingly.xbawlingx
MSU @ ISU...Bobcats win big.
UNC @ UC-Davis...Aggies roll UNC.
Sac State @ NAU...All Hornets in this game.

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
JALMOND must be the admin over at the PSU fans forum:) i think the weather will be the intangible. that being said, i don't care that PSU has the number one passing offense in the country right now, it's only translated to an average of 20.5 points per game. i think PSU will play well, but in the end, EWU by 2 touchdowns. More if it's pouring like it is in portland today, and both teams have to run.

The Wazzu game brings the average down. Actually, we've scored over 20 points in three of the four games. Don't look for us to run a lot, even in the rain. Was actually sunny most of the afternoon, at least where I was (spotty showers at best, dry most of the day).

mvemjsunpx
October 3rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Conference Games:

Eastern Washington (1-0, 2-2) @ Portland St. (0-1, 1-3) - This should look pretty similar to last week for both teams. One encouraging sign for EWU, though, is that they held Idaho State to minus-16 yards in the 4th. quarter. Is the Eagle defense done slumping? Even if it isn't, the Vikes can't stop anything… EWU 48, PORTST 31

Montana St. (0-0, 2-2) @ Idaho St. (0-1, 0-4) - Good sign for the Bengals: MSU committed 5 turnovers last week against South Dakota. Bad sign for the Bengals: the Bobcats still beat the Coyotes going away. Good sign for the Bengals: WR Eddie Thompson will likely play, though he shouldn't be 100%. Bad sign for the Bengals: they've lost 8 straight games, most of those with Thompson fully healthy… MTST 35, IDST 24

Montana (0-0, 4-0) @ Weber St. (1-0, 3-2) - Obviously the marquis game of the week. Weber is just 3-2, but both losses were non-blowouts to FBS teams. Montana is 4-0, but 3 of the wins were by 5 points or less. They did beat top-10 Cal Poly & a much-better-than-their-record UC Davis team, however. Both teams have good offenses & solid special teams, so what will decide this? Cameron Higgins's hot passing & the Grizzlies' recent lack of a pass rush will allow the Wildcats to narrowly end their 9 game losing streak in the series… WEBER 35, UMT 31

Sacramento St. (1-1, 3-2) @ Northern Arizona (1-0, 3-1) - Injuries are the story of this matchup. The Lumberjacks are missing TE Shaun Fitzpatrick (their returning receiver from last year) and will likely still be without star RB Alex Henderson. That leaves QB Lance Kriesien to be the offense for the 'Jacks. Sac's pass defense hasn't played well, but NAU isn't a particularly good passing team & the Hornets' elite linebackers are capable of containing Kriesien. On the flip side, the Hornets will be without both starting QB Jason Smith & backup QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson. That leaves 3rd.-stringer Duncan White (9-15, 114 yds, 1 TD) and the running game to get the job done. The NAU run defense isn't as good as the gaudy stats show, but it should be just enough to get a victory in the Skydome… NAU 20, CSUS 17

Non-conference Game:

Northern Colorado (0-3) @ UC Davis (1-4) - The Bears are improved, but the Aggies should be angry and ready to kill someone after 3 close losses to good teams & a lackluster effort in Boston. Northern Colorado choked the last two games away at the end. They won't get a third try here… UCD 30, NCOL 14

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
EWU 42 - PSU 38

MSU 14 - ISU 12

UM 35 - WSU 30

NAU 28 - CSUS 21

UCD 35 - UNC 28

xthumbsupx

EdubAlum
October 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
The Wazzu game brings the average down. Actually, we've scored over 20 points in three of the four games. Don't look for us to run a lot, even in the rain. Was actually sunny most of the afternoon, at least where I was (spotty showers at best, dry most of the day).

ya, last night it was pretty nice too, i keep waiting for this huge storm to come in they've been talking about on the news all week.

Walkon79
October 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM

EWU 52 - PSU 38
UM 31 - WSU 30
MSU 28 - ISU 10
UCD 35 - UNC 24
NAU 32 - SSU 27

NAU is the second toughest place to play in the BSC. Sac doesn't travel well historically. This might be the only blow-out game on Saturday. I also see Davis winning big in Cali. UM/WSU will be lower scoring than you would expect. Great Griz D but an inconsistent and somewhat vanilla offense. MSU-ISU pick is about right, but only if the Cats don't turn it over 5 TIMES like last week. Can't keep relying on the D to stop teams in the redzone.

EWU 60 - PSU 24
UM 21 - WSU 17
MSU 21 - ISU 14
UCD 27 - UNC 14
NAU 41 - SSU 20

I wouldn't be surprised if two out of the three road favorites fall this week, however. I just hope it's the Eag's and the Grizxsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
NAU is the second toughest place to play in the BSC. Sac doesn't travel well historically. This might be the only blow-out game on Saturday. I also see Davis winning big in Cali. UM/WSU will be lower scoring than you would expect. Great Griz D but an inconsistent and somewhat vanilla offense. MSU-ISU pick is about right, but only if the Cats don't turn it over 5 TIMES like last week. Can't keep relying on the D to stop teams in the redzone.

EWU 60 - PSU 24
UM 21 - WSU 17
MSU 21 - ISU 14
UCD 27 - UNC 14
NAU 41 - SSU 20

I wouldn't be surprised if two out of the three road favorites fall this week, however. I just hope it's the Eag's and the Grizxsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

I know you said that the UM D is good but you still think that WSU will only put up 17?? Not much faith in WSU's offense.

Walkon79
October 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I know you said that the UM D is good but you still think that WSU will only put up 17?? Not much faith in WSU's offense.

I gotta see it to believe it. Been watching BSC football for too long to believe that WSU is an offensive juggernaut all of a sudden. I could be wrong.

Walkon79
October 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
This should be a highly entertaining game, even if the score is in the 20's. Carryover from last year has been downplayed on the board, but returning players haven't forgotten. This one could get ugly.

Peems
October 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
This should be a highly entertaining game, even if the score is in the 20's. Carryover from last year has been downplayed on the board, but returning players haven't forgotten. This one could get ugly.

Balogh is gone but Quinn better watch is back, or his career might end saturday.

I'll just put the winners
MSU
EWU
NAU
Non Con
UCD
Griz Game
I'll put the score for the one game I'll be following
Griz 30 Weber 24

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM

I think the refs will take charge early and and often. It will either be a game with nothing but a few penalties or it will be laundry day. I sure hope it is a clean game of football with none of the extra crap, taunting, late hits, cheap shots, personal fouls and the like.

GolfingGriz
October 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think the refs will take charge early and and often. It will either be a game with nothing but a few penalties or it will be laundry day. I sure hope it is a clean game of football with none of the extra crap, taunting, late hits, cheap shots, personal fouls and the like.

I think alot of it will depend on if the game is close. Both teams are smart enough to realize that in a matchup this close one personal foul call could make the difference. If the game gets out of hand one way or the other, look for it to get ugly.

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I think alot of it will depend on if the game is close. Both teams are smart enough to realize that in a matchup this close one personal foul call could make the difference. If the game gets out of hand one way or the other, look for it to get ugly.

You said it better than I could.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM

EWU 60 - PSU 24
UM 21 - WSU 17
MSU 21 - ISU 14
UCD 27 - UNC 14
NAU 41 - SSU 20

You've been reading too many of Wolfie's posts. Weber ranks 15th nationally in total offense, with Montana right behind at 18th. Montana's D isn't that great (40th) giving up 59 points combined in their last two contests, one of which was a D-II team. I'll stand by my prediciton.

Also, you're putting a lot of faith in the EWU effense (no D) showing up against the no. 1 passing offense in the country... we rank 115th nationally in total D.

putter
October 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Last year the Montana/Weber game was loaded with penalties on both sides. McBride has had his team run into the Griz huddle at mid-field. I don't think McBride likes Hauck and vice versa. This game could be very chippy and the team that keeps its cool will take advangage of that.

ncbears
October 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I think UNC will lose.

I Bleed Purple
October 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
I gotta see it to believe it. Been watching BSC football for too long to believe that WSU is an offensive juggernaut all of a sudden. I could be wrong.

All of a sudden? 73-68 ring a bell?

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM

I was kind of thinking of that and WSU hanging 30 plus on a couple of teams the past few weeks.

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Last year the Montana/Weber game was loaded with penalties on both sides. McBride has had his team run into the Griz huddle at mid-field. I don't think McBride likes Hauck and vice versa. This game could be very chippy and the team that keeps its cool will take advangage of that.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It will be an emotional game for both sides, and not just because of last year. Whichever team keeps its cool will most likely leave with the W.

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM

I've been following the conference since 1976 and I have to say that game was Higgins coming out party. He has shown he is nothing but legit since then, in my opinion. Having Etuati (spellcheck, please) helps as well.

Hubel at PSU could be the same way if Davis would just take the reins off him. But what do I know.

I Bleed Purple
October 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Etuati is right. It's Hawaiian. Spelled how it sounds. Although I've heard it pronounced 5 different ways or so. The Hawaiian announcer got it right for some reason. :p

CrunchGriz
October 4th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Etuati is right. It's Hawaiian. Spelled how it sounds. Although I've heard it pronounced 5 different ways or so. The Hawaiian announcer got it right for some reason. :p

Actually, I believe Etuati is a Samoan name. There is no 't' in the Hawaiian alphabet, and thus no 't's in Hawaiian names.

JALMOND
October 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Home field. That is the theme for this week. History has shown, within the conference, that home field has been the great equalizer. There are four inter-conference games this weekend and of the four, one could argue that the favorite is the visitor in three of them. Think this week we can get some clarity as to who is going to step up and take control? Or will it be even more muddled come Sunday. Currently I sit at 28-5 so far. That said, here are my picks for the Big Sky conference this week. All are just my opinions and all open for discussion (maybe a lot more discussion this week)...

EWU @ PSU---The Eagles, after looking like barnbusters playing both Texas Tech and Colorado well, have stumbled a little in the friendly confines of Cheney. This week, a return to the road as they head to Portland to take on the Vikings, who are playing their first home game since opening weekend. Both like to pass and both defenses are suspect. Can anyone say shootout?...PSU 48, EWU 45.

UM @ WSU---The Griz rebuilding? Yeah, sure. They only went through the nonconference slate undefeated as usual. Still, this is a tough test as the Wildcats want to prove they belong in the conference race and would rather face the Griz in Ogden instead of Missoula. A great game in store, the only bad thing is the loser may have a tough road ahead...UM 30, WSU 28.

MSU @ ISU---Last week the Cats surprised some by the ease that they put away South Dakota. Last week the Bengals surprised some by staying with conference power EWU through much of the game. Who will continue their success from last week?...MSU 21, ISU 17.

UNC @ UC-Davis---Close can best describe the Bears season so far. Close and then victory is snatched away from them. This week, they are the only team not playing within the conference as they visit UC-Davis, a team equally inept at closing out ballgames so far. Close, but no cigar...UC-Davis 24, UNC 20.

Sac State @ NAU---How good are the Hornets. Just a couple plays from being 5-0 at this point. How good are the Jacks. Squeakers the last two weeks against two teams that are not powerhouses in any sense of the word. This is only the second road game for the Hornets all year, and it is also the second home game for the Jacks...NAU 27, Sac State 25.

There you have them. We'll see how it all comes out in the wash. Have at it!

Home field. I keep telling you all. The only home team to lose in the conference this weekend was Idaho State. 4-1 was better than even I thought the home team would do this week. 4-1 is also where I ended up this weekend, which moves me to 32-6 for the year. Congrats to Montana State for the only road win this week. We'll see how the home team does this weekend.

I Bleed Purple
October 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Actually, I believe Etuati is a Samoan name. There is no 't' in the Hawaiian alphabet, and thus no 't's in Hawaiian names.

I knew I should have said Pacific Islander. Also knew I shouldn't have assumed a "t" in Hawaiian since it has so few phonemes.

Walkon79
October 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Well I'm a believer in PSU's O, EWU's lack of D, and a very solid Weber State team, both running and passing. I hope Jalmond is right about home field, at least come October 11th. The Cat's defensive front is really banged up after playing on the concrete they call turf in Pocatello. If Smith goes off for another 150, its going to be a long day in Bozo.

Idaho State may also be the best 0-5 team in FCS.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Well I'm a believer in PSU's O, EWU's lack of D, and a very solid Weber State team, both running and passing. I hope Jalmond is right about home field, at least come October 11th. The Cat's defensive front is really banged up after playing on the concrete they call turf in Pocatello. If Smith goes off for another 150, its going to be a long day in Bozo.

Idaho State may also be the best 0-5 team in FCS.

Agreed and Agreed