Furman..............1-0 4-1
Citadel...............1-0 3-1
Wofford.............1-0 3-1
Appalachian St....0-0 2-2
Samford.............0-1 2-2
Western Carolina...0-1 2-3
Chattanooga.........0-1 1-4
Georgia Southern..0-2 2-3

This weeks games will answer a lot of questions, but asof right now who will win the socon? Also if the Socon recieves 4 picks into the tourny, who will be the next 3 atlarge?

appmaj
September 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think App/Furman Split the title. The Citadel and Wofford take the other two spots.

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 02:23 PM
As far as my picks are concerned its between Elon/furman/Wofford. At this point i would have to pick Elon only becasue they've got a head start with 2 wins. This weekend could change that. My next 3 would deff include Furman and Wofford. The last pick is tough with App starting to slip. But imo they will squeek in with the 4th and final slot.

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I think App/Furman Split the title. The Citadel and Wofford take the other two spots.

I agree furman will be top 2 but I dont see app being there on the top. with AE hurt and the potential to go down hard app will struggle this weekend against Cit, in a game they should of won big. This leaves Elon/Wofford/Furman still in apps sights. st best they go 66.666% Thats 2 losses. that also gives app only 8 wins and puts them on the bubble. Though I do beleave that a 3 time NC On the bubble team will get in.

OL FU
September 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM
who will win the socon?

The team with the best recordxnodx

Someone had to say it:p

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
lol, well im glad you cleared that up some of the schools in the confernce might have not known that ;)

james_lawfirm
September 30th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I agree furman will be top 2 but I dont see app being there on the top. with AE hurt and the potential to go down hard app will struggle this weekend against Cit, in a game they should of won big. This leaves Elon/Wofford/Furman still in apps sights. st best they go 66.666% Thats 2 losses. that also gives app only 8 wins and puts them on the bubble. Though I do beleave that a 3 time NC On the bubble team will get in.

Should have won the Citadel game big? I don't know about that. El Cit is ranked #13. I think we will win, but I don't know about "big".

Millwoch
September 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
None of the schools that I think have a shot have a loss in conference yet. This week will tell us a lot. If El Cid can win 2 of next 3(and that is a big if)...look out for the dogs.

@ Appy
Elon
@ FU

I do not know what to think of Appy, but we will see this weekend. If they lose to the bulldogs, I think their chances are slim against Elon, FU, and Woffy. If they win and they should win...they are right there in it. Big game for Elon as I think they are overrated. Will FU expose them? Woffy can sit back and watch this week to see how they will be positioned going into their stretch run.

smallcollegefbfan
September 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM

If ASU loses two more games they will have four losses and not earn a playoff bid. I read that one of the ASU staff members said that AE would be fine and it was a minor ankle injury. Supposedly he should be ready to go this weekend. Like you, I believe that their season will hinge on the health of AE.

ASUG8
September 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
None of the schools that I think have a shot have a loss in conference yet. This week will tell us a lot. If El Cid can win 2 of next 3(and that is a big if)...look out for the dogs.

@ Appy
Elon
@ FU
I do not know what to think of Appy, but we will see this weekend. If they lose to the bulldogs, I think their chances are slim against Elon, FU, and Woffy. If they win and they should win...they are right there in it. Big game for Elon as I think they are overrated. Will FU expose them? Woffy can sit back and watch this week to see how they will be positioned going into their stretch run.

That's a tough road - at least App is playing the state of SC in Boone this year which should be helpful. The 'neers are going to have to show me something this weekend to make me feel like we're true contenders this season.

elcid96
September 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
The streak had to end some time and this weekend will mark the end of the APPY Dynasty. Every dog gets a bone.

millwoga1
September 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think Wofford wants to leave it in the hands of the selection committee to make the playoffs, so I say them or Elon.

appstate38
September 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I will stick with the Apps, because FU, Woffy and Elon have to come to Boone. We are tough at home and it ain't easy to win on the road. We will see just how good these guys are when facing the Mountaineer faithful.

ElonPride
September 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM

A game they should've won big? Sorry, but even with AE totally healthy, I think App would have a really tough time with El Cid.

asucrutch23
September 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
A game they should've won big? Sorry, but even with AE totally healthy, I think App would have a really tough time with El Cid.

Exactly. That depleted secondary still has to figure out how to stop Bart Blanchard and Andre Roberts even if Armanti is healthy. I saw him on campus Monday on crutches with a boot. Hopefully it's just precautionary. We'll certainly see come Saturday. I think we can all agree that both teams have the potential to light up that new scoreboard! Should be a fun one to watch. GO APPS!

CharlestonAppFan
September 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Well it's good to leave the board for a while and then come back to.......the same thing when I left it......App doubters and negative posts still spewing everywhere I see xnodx xrotatehx

So, we lost to LSU xchinscratchx kind of expected that, didn't you xrolleyesx

then worked on some things while mostly playing some young players against Jax keeping the score respectable somewhat while doing so xscanx

played a very tough revenge minded JMU team in Harrisonburg that is the #1 AGS ranked team losing by 3 who had a "hostile" hatred for some App blood xbawlingx

then used a whole half of play to fine tune a passing game that needed extra reps, in the rain no less, against a somewhat surprisingly good Presby team (believe me if JM & company wanted to score 66 like Elon we would have rushed for over 600 yards because yes, we are that good xnodx )

and now the Apps are falling hard and ready to collapse? xeyebrowx Yes, our team has injuries (sound eerriely familiar from the past 3 years?) and lost some great players to graduation (again sound familiar?) and needs the young players to come up to speed (need I state it again?..AE) but the great teams build foundations using:

*great coaches (only lost 1 since our run)
*great players (we still have some studs if I can remember correctly)
*great mentalities (players expect to win, not want to win and will stop at nothing less)
*great experience (it does matter more than you think)

So I don't believe for one second that the collapse is forthcoming. Now, what I do believe is that the teams in the SoCon are getting very good....cause they have to, to keep up with App. If The Citadel pulls out a win at KBS this weekend, they've earned it, but not because App is faltering this year. Same goes for the rest of the SoCon....teams are getting better and rising to App's level of play. I think this is why a team from the SoCon will be in the Championship game....again. xnodx

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Agreed There will be a Socon team in the Championship game this year, im just not sure who it will be.

GSUhooligan
September 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM
GSU will win the conference after going undefeated the rest of the year. We'll have the tie breaker over App and Citadel who will lose two conference games this year. The other 3 teams that matter (Elon Wofford and Furman) will have three losses.

I don't do drugs, I'm just naively optimistic. It's still possible.xbawlingx

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
xflaggedx xlmaox Here are your comminment papers xrulesx because youve totally lost it if you think that is going to happen

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I will stick with the Apps, because FU, Woffy and Elon have to come to Boone. We are tough at home and it ain't easy to win on the road. We will see just how good these guys are when facing the Mountaineer faithful.

Remember Wofford plays well on the road, the last time we lost on the road to an FCS team it was to, in my opinion the best, App team. We only lost by 7.

To me Furman, Wofford and the Citadel are my favorite(in no particular order).

Elon I'm not to sure about because they're not as offensively explosive as expected.

App has the talent, but I think the injuries will get to them early but they finish strong.

Western and Samford will make some noise but no playoffs.

GSU finishes strong but no playoffs.

Chattanooga is still Chattanooga.

Jerbearasu
September 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM

I'm not saying App will win the conference but this is a great point. You didn't even mention The Citadel coming to Boone. Those 4 teams are the upper half of the SoCon. Our only tough road game this year is in Statesboro and this GSU team has faltered twice at home already. ASU's schedule could not have been mapped any better this year with these home games which just means next year will be a lot rougher because we'll be on the road for all those games.

catamount man
September 30th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm going with Furman to win the SoCon this season. November 22 at Wofford will be THE game of the year. (I don't get CSS and since I'll be in Cullowhee that day for the Appy game, I would like someone to record this one for me BTWxthumbsupx )

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

gofurman
September 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm not saying App will win the conference but this is a great point. You didn't even mention The Citadel coming to Boone. Those 4 teams are the upper half of the SoCon. Our only tough road game this year is in Statesboro and this GSU team has faltered twice at home already. ASU's schedule could not have been mapped any better this year with these home games which just means next year will be a lot rougher because we'll be on the road for all those games.

Exactly - you have to take schedule into account. I am a big FU fan but App has EVERY top conference team at home. FU, Woff, Cit, Elon all go to App...

FU is AT App, AT Woff and AT Elon (only Cit at home)

Skjellyfetti
September 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
It's looks like a toss-up at this point between Furman, Wofford, and App. Since those teams haven't played each other yet... it would just be a guess for me to pick one.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Again, I don't see how App. State can't be favored with Furman, Elon, Wofford, and The Citadel at home.

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Elon Has Wofford and Furman at home and Already beat GSU at there place. So I think we should give app a run for there money

RazorEdge19
September 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I think this question that prompted this thread would've been better to ask following October 4th. After that date, things will be much clearer.

FurmanPaladins4138
September 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
GSU will win the conference after going undefeated the rest of the year. We'll have the tie breaker over App and Citadel who will lose two conference games this year. The other 3 teams that matter (Elon Wofford and Furman) will have three losses.

I don't do drugs, I'm just naively optimistic. It's still possible.xbawlingx

HAHAHAHAHAHA

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I think this question that prompted this thread would've been better to ask following October 4th. After that date, things will be much clearer.

Thats why I asked it. To see opinions before then after. I know most of this is just speculation at this time. We will know alot more come sunday morning xcoffeex

BULLDOG8180
September 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM

You sure do have a lot of confidence in Elon. What have they done to deserve such high praise???xcoffeex

RazorEdge19
September 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Thats why I asked it. To see opinions before then after. I know most of this is just speculation at this time. We will know alot more come sunday morning xcoffeex

Hence my point, its pure speculation at the moment with very little fact able to back it up. On Sunday, there at least will be some facts to back up the speculation.

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Its fun to speculate. Didnt you ever play that game "Guess Who" as a kid

BULLDOG8180
September 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
So far, IMHO, Furman has been the most impressive. Playing with VT, beating Delaware..............No one else has done anything out of the ordinary. (woffy against USC was pretty good too!) This weekend will start lining them up.

SCPALADIN
September 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM
So far, IMHO, Furman has been the most impressive. Playing with VT, beating Delaware..............No one else has done anything out of the ordinary. (woffy against USC was pretty good too!) This weekend will start lining them up.

I agree that we've looked pretty good. The two humps that, I feel, we need to get over are the habit of playing down to our competition and having a mid-season hiccup ('05 WCU & '06 CCU). One thing is for certain...this is going to be one entertaining season in the SOCON.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2008, 07:30 AM
I think the Citadel will fade down the stretch. They still have yet to play a quality FCS opponent, meaning they will have a very tough back end of the schedule.

I realize Furman plays at Boone again this year. Furman has come up one play short against just about every year against ASU. This might just be the year they make that one extra play.

I've been proud of Furman so far. This team is not as good on paper as the 2007 edition, but they have some kind of grit I haven't seen in a while. This Elon game will tell all of us a bit more about the Paladins.

AshevilleApp2
October 1st, 2008, 08:04 AM
I think there will be a tie of some kind. App, Elon, Furman and Wofford in the mix.

citdog
October 1st, 2008, 08:12 AM
I think the Citadel will fade down the stretch. They still have yet to play a quality FCS opponent, meaning they will have a very tough back end of the schedule.

54-51

elcid96
October 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM
Its still early enough in the season to be excited. We are 1-0 in SOCON play and dreams of winning the SOCON title are still alive. This is what make football so great every year.

appfan2008
October 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM
My prediction is
App wins conference title...
Elon, Wofford and Furman get at large spots...

OLDMAIN80
October 1st, 2008, 08:30 AM
I like Wofford.

Dittoxthumbsupx

94Terrier
October 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
I would love to put Wofford at the top. My only real hesitations are that we have a younger, slightly less experienced team than the past couple years. Somehow, we have managed to slide in just under the radar once again. We played GSU at their place and made the game closer than we should have; and we gave South Carolina much more than they wanted. Having to play Elon, Appy and EdCid in 3 consecutive weeks will be very tough. Our season hinges on being healthy and mentally tough through that stretch. What I really hope is that our final game of the season against the Purple Flurples will be for the SoCon championship.

jus10asu
October 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
I say its a toss up b/w App and Wofford. Furman does have a tough road schedule. App has the top of the SoCon at home. And Wofford plays well on the road. I just don't see Elon making it. Their offense isn't as high powered as last year. But this is all just speculation at this point anyway. This weekend will tell a little more about the teams. I think App will adjust to the injuries barring a major one, we should be fine and mature throughout the season. As long as we can get a W this weekend I think we'll be good till the 25th. Hopefully by that time we will have fine tuned our passing game to open up the run EVEN more.xcoffeex None the less, the SoCon is stacked this year. Weeeeeeeeeexnodx xnodx

CharlestonAppFan
October 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
My years spent at APP:
2005: 12-3
2006: 14-1
2007: 13-2
2008: 2-2

41-8
3 Nat'l Championships...

Clearly the best enrolled team records and accomplishments. Ever?

I'm not sure about that but I think the Stink (Georgia South) may have that record from the late '90s early '00s.

ElonPride
October 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM
II just don't see Elon making it. Their offense isn't as high powered as last year.

Isn't as high powered? How do you figure?

We're not averaging 36 points per game this year, but the total offensive output is right in line with last year.....the only execption this year....Elon acutally has a running game!!!

And by the way, Elon almost scored as many points in the 1st quarter, as App did the entire game versus Presby xsmiley_wix

Eaglesrus
October 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure about that but I think the Stink (Georgia South) may have that record from the late '90s early '00s.

Though I thought your derogatory epithet was unnecessary I have to give you credit for being correct about GSU's record during that time. Anyone who was there would have witnessed the following through the first four games of 2001:

'98 14 - 1
'99 13 - 2
'00 13 - 2
'01 4 - 0

That comes to 44 - 5; ah, the good old days!

Oh, we only won two national championships though; in '98 our only loss was the championship game.

Saint3333
October 1st, 2008, 09:44 AM
There are only three teams that won't win the SoCon at this point, UTC, Samford, and WCU. Yes even GSU still has a shot...

The SoCon winner could have 2 losses again this year.
I can't remember the SoCon being this strong since Marshall left.

introvertedGSUfan
October 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
There are only three teams that won't win the SoCon at this point, UTC, Samford, and WCU. Yes even GSU still has a shot...

The SoCon winner could have 2 losses again this year.
I can't remember the SoCon being this strong since Marshall left.

Yes, I think that the SoCon winner will actually have two losses this year.

CID1990
October 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Furman is going to win the title outright.

Millwoch
October 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM

I realize Furman plays at Boone again this year. Furman has come up one play short against just about every year against ASU. This might just be the year they make that one extra play.

I've been proud of Furman so far. This team is not as good on paper as the 2007 edition, but they have some kind of grit I haven't seen in a while. This Elon game will tell all of us a bit more about the Paladins.

Not true about El Cit's schedule. the next 3 weeks is our toughest.

@appy
elon
@FU

We end conference play with Chatty at home. Losing 2 of next 3 will all but put us out of contention. But win 2-3 and look out, as the last 4 are vs. @Samford, GSU, @Woffy, and Chatty.

CharlestonAppFan
October 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Though I thought your derogatory epithet was unnecessary I have to give you credit for being correct about GSU's record during that time. Anyone who was there would have witnessed the following through the first four games of 2001:

'98 14 - 1
'99 13 - 2
'00 13 - 2
'01 4 - 0

That comes to 44 - 5; ah, the good old days!

Oh, we only won two national championships though; in '98 our only loss was the championship game.

Nothing personal Eagle, just a lil jab here and there between conference mates when I can xthumbsupx I'm nowhere close to Citdog xlolx But I thought you guys had the better record over that time span (I was at ASU during that time, that's how I remember xbawlingx )

Rekdiver
October 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM
My boys are in trouble this year and we could miss a playoff spot if not careful....

I think the conference is a toss up between /Wofford/Elon/Furman and then App
Citadel and GS are awefully close.

BestOfBreed
October 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
I go with App winning it. They have the top teams in the conference at home and play Georgia Southern in the middle of the year. The Eagles have a ton of athletes and will be clicking come The Citadel and Furman games later in the year.

ElonPride
October 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
I go with App winning it. They have the top teams in the conference at home and play Georgia Southern in the middle of the year. The Eagles have a ton of athletes and will be clicking come The Citadel and Furman games later in the year.

I'll go with App too. I just don't see you guys slippin' at the Rock!

elon77
October 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
I think Elon and Woffy were lucky to get GSU early. I think they will get better and better as the year goes by. They could just bite a few teams in the butt.

Black Saturday
October 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Remember Wofford plays well on the road, the last time we lost on the road to an FCS team it was to, in my opinion the best, App team. We only lost by 7.

To me Furman, Wofford and the Citadel are my favorite(in no particular order).

Elon I'm not to sure about because they're not as offensively explosive as expected.

App has the talent, but I think the injuries will get to them early but they finish strong.
Western and Samford will make some noise but no playoffs.

GSU finishes strong but no playoffs.

Chattanooga is still Chattanooga.

The injuries that APP has are season enders for three original starters. The only position that will give us trouble for the moment is McDuffie's corner, but heck he is a true freshman.

I'm not sure why everyone is ready to throw dirt on APP. APP lost by 3 points to the #1 FCS team and LSU. Wait and see if The Citadel beats APP first. Which I don't think will happen, even though Citadel appears to have a good team, the game is at The Rock.

Black Saturday
October 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
My boys are in trouble this year and we could miss a playoff spot if not careful....
I think the conference is a toss up between /Wofford/Elon/Furman and then App
Citadel and GS are awefully close.

Why do you think this? APP has done what most thought may happen when the schedule was announced. The SoCon may have improved, but the main games are at The Rock.

citdog
October 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
is this "rock" you speak of the one that Yosef crawls out from under? most people in his condition live under BRIDGES...not "rocks"xnodx

Black Saturday
October 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
My prediction is
App wins conference title...
Elon, Wofford and Furman get at large spots...

Are you kidding me? The SoCon has no seat on the selection committee, But the CAA does as well as a new rep, Montana's AD.xbawlingx

Black Saturday
October 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM
is this "rock" you speak of the one that Yosef crawls out from under? most people in his condition live under BRIDGES...not "rocks"xnodx

Yea, he'll be throwing "rocks" at you dogs when he runs out of powder firing his musket from scoring so much on Saturday. xrotatehx

cmaxwellgsu
October 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM

I was at Southern from fall 98 to fall 02. Our records went:

1998: 14-1 (lost in NC game)
1999: 13-2 National Champions
2000: 13-2 National Champions
2001: 12-2 (lost in semis; first time I ever saw us lose in Paulson)
2002: 11-3 (lost in semis)

Total Record 63-10

I probably could have graduated summer 02, but you can see there was no need to.:D

Rekdiver
October 1st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Easy to say at this point. Erratic play and injuries. Our receiving corp is below our expectations and needs for the spread. With the change at receiver coach this year one just wonders........Chemistry?

I will have a better grasp of chances after the game this weekend. I'm thinking that we are suffering a bit of a crisis of confidence after the JMU game.

Talent is there. The team needs a leader now.......

elcid96
October 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Take notes during the game on how to define a leader. Bart Blanchard will lead the dogs to Victory.

GaSouthern
October 2nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
Elon wins (I said that before they beat us) App State and Furman also go to the playoffs

Wofford gets Woffed (again)

CID1990
October 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
I think Elon and Woffy were lucky to get GSU early. I think they will get better and better as the year goes by. They could just bite a few teams in the butt.

Occam's Razor states that in the absence credible evidence to the contrary, the simplest answer is usually the right one.

Apply that to the wins over GSU and it could be said that Wofford and Elon are just marginally better than a weak GSU team.

introvertedGSUfan
October 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Occam's Razor states that in the absence credible evidence to the contrary, the simplest answer is usually the right one.

Apply that to the wins over GSU and it could be said that Wofford and Elon are just marginally better than a weak GSU team.

Wow, did you just try to apply this law of parsimony to college football? xoopsx This game has too many factors that contribute to how a team performs each and every time they take the field. Using a reductionist philosophy is a poor choice of an argument for such a complicated sport.

citdog
October 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wow, did you just try to apply this law of parsimony to college football? xoopsx This game has too many factors that contribute to how a team performs each and every time they take the field. Using a reductionist philosophy is a poor choice of an argument for such a complicated sport.

why don't you just...

GO FOR TWO

CID1990
October 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM

Well, I predicted a weak GSU, and a weakened Elon and Wofford before the season started. This was based on many factors, and those factors were different for each team.

So far, my own ideas of how the teams would stack up this year have played out with the exception that I would have given Elon seven more points in their win.

So, rather than simply looking at the myriad of complicated reasons for how GSU played Elon ond Wofford so closely (Not the least of which is the thinly veiled disappointment and worry caused to fans at having barely scraped out a win against GSU), I choose to look at the simplest explanation:

GSU is weak this year.

Elon and Wofford are slightly stronger than GSU this year.

Class dismissed.

DB_Atlantic10
October 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I think APP St. will win the title going away. With Furman and Wofford in a strong 2nd. Elon doesn't stand a chance this year... I will predict that not one of these teams will be within 14 points of APP in any of their games....Especially with them all being at the Rock.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
why don't you just...

GO FOR TWO

Bobby Lamb needs to send Hatcher a big 'ol box of chocolates this year for taking the monkey off his back.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think APP St. will win the title going away. With Furman and Wofford in a strong 2nd. Elon doesn't stand a chance this year... I will predict that not one of these teams will be within 14 points of APP in any of their games....Especially with them all being at the Rock.

Yeah, it would kind of diminish JMU's win over the Apps if they were to lose a couple in the SoCon this year, wouldn't it?

RazorEdge19
October 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Well, I predicted a weak GSU, and a weakened Elon and Wofford before the season started. This was based on many factors, and those factors were different for each team.

So far, my own ideas of how the teams would stack up this year have played out with the exception that I would have given Elon seven more points in their win.

So, rather than simply looking at the myriad of complicated reasons for how GSU played Elon ond Wofford so closely (Not the least of which is the thinly veiled disappointment and worry caused to fans at having barely scraped out a win against GSU), I choose to look at the simplest explanation:

GSU is weak this year.

Elon and Wofford are slightly stronger than GSU this year.

Class dismissed.

You keep using that theory when it comes to college football, but it won't do much to tell you how strong teams actually are.

DB_Atlantic10
October 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah, it would kind of diminish JMU's win over the Apps if they were to lose a couple in the SoCon this year, wouldn't it? I could give a crap about the win over App now, JMU has its own agenda in the CAA to deal with..... But what I saw of App at the game and on film, they are still a very strong team and have only lost to good teams on the road. I don't see the strength in the rest of the SoCon this year keeping up. Elon got owned by Richmond on their own turf and Furman barely squeeked by Delaware with two points after getting 4 ints and a fumble recovery in their own house.

So in answering the post based on what I do know....I just don't see another team beating APP St. at home this year with their current personnel. Just my opinion.xcoffeex

CID1990
October 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
You keep using that theory when it comes to college football, but it won't do much to tell you how strong teams actually are.

That's true, with the exception that GSU is somewhat of a known quantity this year. (But not with the early season pollsters, apparently).

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I could give a crap about the win over App now, JMU has its own agenda in the CAA to deal with..... But what I saw of App at the game and on film, they are still a very strong team and have only lost to good teams on the road. I don't see the strength in the rest of the SoCon this year keeping up. Elon got owned by Richmond on their own turf and Furman barely squeeked by Delaware with two points after getting 4 ints and a fumble recovery in their own house.

So in answering the post based on what I do know....I just don't see another team beating APP St. at home this year with their current personnel. Just my opinion.xcoffeex

App won a national title last year after losing two games within the Southern Conference. One of those losses was at home to a team that didn't make the playoffs. Of course, App State is good. They play well at home. They are not, however, invincible.

I don't necessarily see your point about Furman/Delaware. A young Paladin squad won a hard fought game against a top 10 team loaded with veterans and FBS transfers. How many points did you want us to win by?

Grizaholic17
October 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Appy knows how to pull things out. And they are out to win the rest of the season I bet with their two losses thus far. All of the more difficult games are at home this year for Appy. I believe Furman and even Wofford can give them trouble, but I expect Appy to pull it out as they have done countless times before.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I could give a crap about the win over App now, JMU has its own agenda in the CAA to deal with..... But what I saw of App at the game and on film, they are still a very strong team and have only lost to good teams on the road. I don't see the strength in the rest of the SoCon this year keeping up. Elon got owned by Richmond on their own turf and Furman barely squeeked by Delaware with two points after getting 4 ints and a fumble recovery in their own house.

I don't care what the 'know-nothing' pollsters say. Elon has always been no higher than #4 in the SoCon, IMHO.

Regardless of who we send to the playoffs this year, they will outlast the CAA. Again.

DB_Atlantic10
October 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
I don't care what the 'know-nothing' pollsters say. Elon has always been no higher than #4 in the SoCon, IMHO.

Regardless of who we send to the playoffs this year, they will outlast the CAA. Again. And you wonder why I say APP St. will win the SoCon again this year........xcoffeex

ElonFirefighter
October 2nd, 2008, 10:15 PM

Owned????? What is this owned that you speak of. I remember a close game till we had multiplayers go down. I do not recall a owned xnonono2x

SCPALADIN
October 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I remember a close game till we had multiplayers go down.

Who's this multiplayers guy...he must have been pretty dang good.

ElonFirefighter
October 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Who's this multiplayers guy...he must have been pretty dang good.

My dog decided to sleep on thekeyboard last night so someof the keys are broken or stick.
multiple players

The Cats
October 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
anybody but asu (except gsu!!! or those other purple guys, or those firebird thingamagigs, or puppy dogs, or river snakes) xoopsx

catamount man
October 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Furman is your 2008 SoCon champion.

SCPALADIN
October 2nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
anybody but asu (except gsu!!! or those other purple guys, or those firebird thingamagigs, or puppy dogs, or river snakes) xoopsx

You're in trouble...

SCPALADIN
October 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
My dog decided to sleep on thekeyboard last night so someof the keys are broken or stick.
multiple players

Sure...blame your keyboard being "sticky" on the dog xeyebrowx xlolx xeyebrowx xlolx

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM

we'll see. No promises.

furman94
October 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
No promises, but a good possibility

ElonFirefighter
October 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Sure...blame your keyboard being "sticky" on the dog xeyebrowx xlolx xeyebrowx xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx I was waiting for that comment. xbowx xbowx

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM

I still think it's crAppy's to lose, but I can't tell you how good it feels to see our boys in contention, considering the predictions of all the people in the "know" preseason.xnodx xcoolx xthumbsupx

elcid96
October 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
It will be clear that The Citadel will win the SOCON after this weekend.

elon77
October 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
It will be clear that The Citadel will win the SOCON after this weekend.

Yea it will be clear. It will be clear that you still haven't played Woffy, Elon, Furman, Samford, and GSU. That's the only thing I can see that will be clear.xnodx xnodx xnodx

elcid96
October 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Yea it will be clear. It will be clear that you still haven't played Woffy, Elon, Furman, Samford, and GSU. That's the only thing I can see that will be clear.xnodx xnodx xnodx

It is still clear that we beat Elon the past two time we played.

RazorEdge19
October 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM

And that you have not beaten Wofford in nearly a decade.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
The Citadel, IMO, is still the conference team with the most to prove. So far they've played Clemson and a lot of little sisters. This App game is a great chance to step up with a big FCS win.

They beat Furman once every four years. Like clockwork.

elcid96
October 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM

Ouch. The truth hurts. Time for Change. LOL.

citdog
October 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM

LETS LEAVE FACTS OUT OF THIS DISCUSSION

citdog
October 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
The Citadel, IMO, is still the conference team with the most to prove. So far they've played Clemson and a lot of little sisters. This App game is a great chance to step up with a big FCS win.

They beat Furman once every four years. Like clockwork.

54-51

Saint3333
October 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'm shocked at how much confidence the non-SoCon posters have in ASU given the inconsistent play half over half in each of the first four games and injuries sustained thus far. The SoCon race is wide open as is the FCS at this point. There is no one team that has pulled away from the pack at this point. There are 4 to 5 teams that could win the SoCon and 10-12 teams that have the potential to win the FCS. Way too early to tell.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm shocked at how much confidence the non-SoCon posters have in ASU given the inconsistent play half over half in each of the first four games and injuries sustained thus far. The SoCon race is wide open as is the FCS at this point. There is no one team that has pulled away from the pack at this point. There are 4 to 5 teams that could win the SoCon and 10-12 teams that have the potential to win the FCS. Way too early to tell.

I think most SoCon fans know better than to say anything in this conference is a given. Every team will need to show up. Even Samford proved they aren't a push over.

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I would love to put Wofford at the top. My only real hesitations are that we have a younger, slightly less experienced team than the past couple years. Somehow, we have managed to slide in just under the radar once again. We played GSU at their place and made the game closer than we should have; and we gave South Carolina much more than they wanted. Having to play Elon, Appy and EdCid in 3 consecutive weeks will be very tough. Our season hinges on being healthy and mentally tough through that stretch. What I really hope is that our final game of the season against the Purple Flurples will be for the SoCon championship.

The offense is fine when it comes to experience (7 or 8 seniors). The GSU game was closer than it should have been. Our pass D is the only thing "holding us down"

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
The injuries that APP has are season enders for three original starters. The only position that will give us trouble for the moment is McDuffie's corner, but heck he is a true freshman.

I'm not sure why everyone is ready to throw dirt on APP. APP lost by 3 points to the #1 FCS team and LSU. Wait and see if The Citadel beats APP first. Which I don't think will happen, even though Citadel appears to have a good team, the game is at The Rock.

Let me explain: It's unlikely a team will finish with one loss or undefeated. If App drops two games in conference and doesn't finish in the top 3 then with the all the CAA lovers on the committee then App might get left out. They might get in at 8-4 but their best bet is winning conference, a feat easier said than done.

introvertedGSUfan
October 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Let me explain: It's unlikely a team will finish with one loss or undefeated. If App drops two games in conference and doesn't finish in the top 3 then with the all the CAA lovers on the committee then App might get left out. They might get in at 8-4 but their best bet is winning conference, a feat easier said than done.

Is App playing twelve games this season? I know GSU only has eleven.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2008, 03:45 PM

8-4 is iffy this year, but I can't believe it will be for ASU. It would require an odd confluence of events to keep the 3 time defending NC out of the playoffs with an 8-4 record.

Who will win the SoCon?

Well, it won't be Samford, WCU, Chatt or GSU:D xsmiley_wix

Kill'em
October 3rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Bobby Lamb needs to send Hatcher a big 'ol box of chocolates this year for taking the monkey off his back.

Why? Lamb made a bonehead decision that cost his team the game. Hatcher made a gamble to try to win the game at that point. He either had confidence his offense would convert or was not wanting to continue being in a shootout. Either way, I thought the decision to go for two was the right one.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Why? Lamb made a bonehead decision that cost his team the game. Hatcher made a gamble to try to win the game at that point. He either had confidence his offense would convert or was not wanting to continue being in a shootout. Either way, I thought the decision to go for two was the right one.

In many ways there was nothing wrong with either decision to go for two. In Lamb's case, the play was what was absolutely ridiculous. For all intents and purposes a sideways lateral. On the other hand, the confusion after a time out was a little hard to understand last weekend.xnodx

Kill'em
October 3rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
In many ways there was nothing wrong with either decision to go for two. In Lamb's case, the play was what was absolutely ridiculous. For all intents and purposes a sideways lateral. On the other hand, the confusion after a time out was a little hard to understand last weekend.xnodx

Not only that, the reason for the time out was also due to confusion, meaning, someone forgot he was supposed to be in the game...twice! xoopsx

proasu89
October 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Is App playing twelve games this season? I know GSU only has eleven.

Yes

ElonFirefighter
October 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Regarding the whos the better team thread..... I think the paper bag has a good chance at winning the conference

CID1990
October 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM
multiple players

Your dog has been on your keyboard since you have been in this forum.

CID1990
October 4th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Semantics. Did Hatcher's decision not cost GSU the game?

eaglewraith
October 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Yes....but it didn't LOSE the game while in the lead unlike Furman's failed 2pt conversion

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Well, based on today's performance, you can remove Furman from the list of potential candidates.xsmhx xbawlingx

Kill'em
October 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I think it was not the decision to go for two, it was the individual(s) who forgot to be on the field. After the timeout, the QB shouldn't have tried to get the play off with only two seconds on the play clock. He should have taken the delay penalty and then we kick the extra point. But we all know about hindsight. It is also a problem with having a freshman in that position.
Going for two was the right call and I don't blame Hatcher. The mess that ensued could be blamed on him, though.

elcid96
October 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Well, based on today's performance, you can remove Furman from the list of potential candidates.xsmhx xbawlingx

Looks like another APP SOCON Title. Good luck in the playoffs!

Seven Would Be Nice
October 6th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Looks like another APP SOCON Title. Good luck in the playoffs!

App will lose in two weeks, leaving the SoCon crown for Elon. With GSU and App getting playoff bids.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan06
October 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM

And I hope you enjoyed those two wins because its gonna be a while until another CIT win in this series!

The SoCon title is up for grabs among Elon, Wofford, and ASU at this point. Just so happens that we play at home against Wofford and away at ASU in two of our last three SoCon games which should determine the champ or determine any tiebreakers.

Death Dealer
October 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
App will lose in two weeks, leaving the SoCon crown for Elon. With GSUxeekx xconfusedx and App getting playoff bids.

Delusional fans are so entertaining.xcoffeex

Death Dealer
October 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM
And I hope you enjoyed those two wins because its gonna be a while until another CIT win in this series!

The SoCon title is up for grabs among Elon, Wofford, and ASU at this point. Just so happens that we play at home against Wofford and away at ASU in two of our last three SoCon games which should determine the champ or determine any tiebreakers.

I hope and believe that we just had a bad game Saturday, and that we can make it through the rest of the conference with only one loss, to either App or Wofford. That will leave us with 2 conference losses. If that is the case, then we will possibly be in a tie situation, assuming that App, Elon, and Wofford all lost two, a big assumption I realize. I'd say it is most likely for Elon and App end up tied with one loss each, and the tie-breaker going to the head to head for the auto-bid.

neersnbeers
October 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM
App will lose in two weeks, leaving the SoCon crown for Elon. With GSU and App getting playoff bids.

Hahahaxlolx xlolx . Man I stop doing recreational drugs on Sunday nights. Mabey you should tooxsmiley_wix

lizrdgizrd
October 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
8-4 is iffy this year, but I can't believe it will be for ASU. It would require an odd confluence of events to keep the 3 time defending NC out of the playoffs with an 8-4 record.
And don't forget the revenue that App can bring to the table. I'm sure the committee won't.

appfan2008
October 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
And don't forget the revenue that App can bring to the table. I'm sure the committee won't.

not only are we in at 8-4 but this is a business and we will be given a HOME game... mark my words...

but i hope it doesnt come to that... i hope we finish 10-2 or 9-3 and win the socon title and get multiple home games again...!

Death Dealer
October 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
not only are we in at 8-4 but this is a business and we will be given a HOME game... mark my words...

but i hope it doesnt come to that... i hope we finish 10-2 or 9-3 and win the socon title and get multiple home games again...!

You guys get a home game at 8-4, and we might as well be the BCS.xeekx

OLDMAIN80
October 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Seven, what's in those cigars you been smokin? xconfusedx You know that sharin' time is happy timexthumbsupx

neersnbeers
October 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Seven, what's in those cigars you been smokin? xconfusedx You know that sharin' time is happy timexthumbsupx

Everytime, all the time!

Kill'em
October 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hahahaxlolx xlolx . Man I stop doing recreational drugs on Sunday nights. Mabey you should tooxsmiley_wix

Don't count us out. While it is a long shot, if we win out we will get a bid. Of course it will be tough with App St, Furman, The Citadel, and even Samford, who is playing much tougher than I expected, left on the schedule.
This week's open date comes at a good time. It gives the players time to heal, time to prepare for App St, and it gives them time to reflect on what has happened and what to do from this point to make this a successful season. Remember, this team is made up largely of freshmen.

GATA
October 6th, 2008, 09:57 PM

...So I guess if Hatcher decided NOT to go for two and the kicker missed the extra point...then that would mean Hatcher's decision cost us the game in that situation too?

A coaching decision to go for 1 or 2 doesn't cost a team the game. They either execute the play or they don't. What cost us the game was that we were down 14-0 about 30 seconds after kickoff and had to claw ourselves out of a huge *****hole.

Bobby Lamb's decision didn't cost Furman the game either and it's pretty moronic to think it did. The players needs to execute the damn plays.

proasu89
October 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
...So I guess if Hatcher decided NOT to go for two and the kicker missed the extra point...then that would mean Hatcher's decision cost us the game in that situation too?

A coaching decision to go for 1 or 2 doesn't cost a team the game. They either execute the play or they don't. What cost us the game was that we were down 14-0 about 30 seconds after kickoff and had to claw ourselves out of a huge *****hole.
Bobby Lamb's decision didn't cost Furman the game either and it's pretty moronic to think it did. The players needs to execute the damn plays.

Sounds a lot like our game w/ you last year:(

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Bobby Lamb's decision did not lose the game. What happened on that play may occur once every 10 years in a football game. It was freakish, strange, and uncommon.

GATA
October 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Sounds a lot like our game w/ you last year:(

I was thinking the same thing in the stands at the GSU v. Wofford game..."damn...this is exactly how we jumped on App state last year.."

Needless to say...it didn't make me feel good about our chances.

AsuBucETSU34
October 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
App state 4 in a row.... might lose one more but i dont see it happening. maybe at GSU... but APP should pull a 2006 and not lose in the socon

LarryBoy
October 6th, 2008, 10:41 PM
App state 4 in a row.... might lose one more but i dont see it happening. maybe at GSU... but APP should pull a 2006 and not lose in the socon

While that's possible, I wouldn't bet on it. Last year you beat Michigan (haven't you heard?) and still lost two SoCon games. This year, until the first half against El Cid, App had accomplished squat. You should thank your lucky stars (and the voters who live on them) that you're #2 at 3-2. It just looks odd.

Again, I consider App to be the team to beat this year, but don't overlook a very, very tough conference. You still have GSU (loss last year), Wofford (loss last year), Furman (close win last year), and Elon (definitely formidable) on tap. I would say in all four cases, those teams have improved over last year as well.

james_lawfirm
October 7th, 2008, 07:14 AM
While that's possible, I wouldn't bet on it. Last year you beat Michigan (haven't you heard?) and still lost two SoCon games. This year, until the first half against El Cid, App had accomplished squat. You should thank your lucky stars (and the voters who live on them) that you're #2 at 3-2. It just looks odd.

Again, I consider App to be the team to beat this year, but don't overlook a very, very tough conference. You still have GSU (loss last year), Wofford (loss last year), Furman (close win last year), and Elon (definitely formidable) on tap. I would say in all four cases, those teams have improved over last year as well.

Larry:

I've been to all five of those games. I agree the SoCon is going to be tough this year. Based on the growth and improvement in App, I believe the team is peaking at just the right time. Aside from Special Teams, which always seem to make the games interesting, the biggest problem seems to be motion penalties. That can be fixed in practice.

The App D is improved over last year. I keep hearing about weakness in our DBs, but just ask Citadel how weak it was. Their goto receiver (Rodgers?) had only 52 yds. on the day.

The O has so many weapons. The Citadel had played an "Armanti" D - a 3-4 setup, and we just torched them straight up the middle.

FWIW, of the four teams you mentioned, Furman, GaSo, Elon & Wofford, I am more concerned about Furman. GaSo seems to be struggling, even at Paulson Stadium; Elon has no running game yet; & there's no way Wofford controls the ball like it did last year.

whoanellie
October 7th, 2008, 07:32 AM
[FWIW, of the four teams you mentioned, Furman, GaSo, Elon & Wofford, I am more concerned about Furman. GaSo seems to be struggling, even at Paulson Stadium; Elon has no running game yet; & there's no way Wofford controls the ball like it did last year.]

Apps success is based on AE's health. When he is on the field he makes the 'eer's as good as anyone.
Every school with at least 1 conference loss is still in the hunt and that will be settled over the next 5 weeks or so.
old icons are and have been challenged.
to paraphrase the quote "a rising tide raises all ships"
to go through this conference undefeated this season will be aherculean feat.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Larry:

I've been to all five of those games. I agree the SoCon is going to be tough this year. Based on the growth and improvement in App, I believe the team is peaking at just the right time. Aside from Special Teams, which always seem to make the games interesting, the biggest problem seems to be motion penalties. That can be fixed in practice.

The App D is improved over last year. I keep hearing about weakness in our DBs, but just ask Citadel how weak it was. Their goto receiver (Rodgers?) had only 52 yds. on the day.

The O has so many weapons. The Citadel had played an "Armanti" D - a 3-4 setup, and we just torched them straight up the middle.

FWIW, of the four teams you mentioned, Furman, GaSo, Elon & Wofford, I am more concerned about Furman. GaSo seems to be struggling, even at Paulson Stadium; Elon has no running game yet; & there's no way Wofford controls the ball like it did last year.

While App made a big statement, I'm not convinced that The Citadel is as good as they think they are. Truth is they came to Boone having not played one quality FCS program. That was their first tough game and they folded. I don't think they'll be there in the end.

That said, Elon is still a good team. Wofford is always tough. If Furman regroups and starts taking steps forward instead of backwards, they'll be there in the end. The Paladins had a rough spot last week, but every team has a let down every now and then.

appfan2008
October 7th, 2008, 07:42 AM
[FWIW, of the four teams you mentioned, Furman, GaSo, Elon & Wofford, I am more concerned about Furman. GaSo seems to be struggling, even at Paulson Stadium; Elon has no running game yet; & there's no way Wofford controls the ball like it did last year.]

Apps success is based on AE's health. When he is on the field he makes the 'eer's as good as anyone.
Every school with at least 1 conference loss is still in the hunt and that will be settled over the next 5 weeks or so.
old icons are and have been challenged.
to paraphrase the quote "a rising tide raises all ships"
to go through this conference undefeated this season will be aherculean feat.

not entirely true... we have the best backup in the socon...

GSUhooligan
October 7th, 2008, 07:52 AM
not entirely true... we have the best backup in the socon...

I'd go with Lee Chapple on that one.

ElonPride
October 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Elon has no running game yet; .

Have you looked at Elon's boxscore from the past few games?

Versus Furman - 231 rushing yards
V. Samford - 118 yards rushing (granted, this is low)
V. GSU - 201 yards rushing
V. Presby - 246 yards rushing

With the exception of the Presby game, we've had a 100 yard runner....

The funny thing is, we were able to win the Furman game without Riddle throwing for 300+ yards. Riddle only, and I say only because I'm accustomed to the 290+ yard days, threw for 160 yards!!!

PhoenixPhan06
October 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Larry:

Those five must be the only five games you've seen all season because Elon's running game is a force to be reckoned with this season. Sure the running game has been a joke the past couple of seasons, but if you think we're just going to pass all day, you're in for a great surprise come 11/15!

If you're so concerned about Furman, you may want to look at the box score from last weekend when we ran for over 200 yards. Did I also mention that we beat said concerned team by 21?

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Just as a side note, Furman was playing without their first team all conference nose tackle against Elon. While that's not an excuse, the Elon back probably doesn't go for 160 if Justin Brown is in the game.

Elon's rushing defense was world's better than last years. The 2007 Phoenix squad didn't look like they wanted any bit of Jerome Felton. This year's team came ready to play.

Will say that Furman's pass defense has made unbelievable strides. If you told me Riddle would attempt 30 passes I would have figured he'd have thrown for nearly 300 yards. Turns out both he and Hudgins were well below their season average.

ElonPride
October 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Just as a side note, Furman was playing without their first team all conference nose tackle against Elon. While that's not an excuse, the Elon back probably doesn't go for 160 if Justin Brown is in the game.

Will say that Furman's pass defense has made unbelievable strides. If you told me Riddle would attempt 30 passes I would have figured he'd have thrown for nearly 300 yards. Turns out both he and Hudgins were well below their season average.

If you want to note an injury please be aware that one of the conference's leading receivers, and 2nd on our team, was out (Bo Williamson). He is also 4th on kick returns in the SoCon.

PhoenixPhan06
October 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Elon's rushing defense was world's better than last years. The 2007 Phoenix squad didn't look like they wanted any bit of Jerome Felton. This year's team came ready to play.

The emergence of a solid running game has been the major difference in our 2007 and 2008 teams. I thought Furman's pass defense was good enough to keep them in the game. Fortunetly enough for us, our running game was able to move the ball down the field and get us some points.

As good as our passing game is, I'll say that the running game has become just as important this season. McCarty (New OC) really focused on establishing the running game in the first few weeks, at times making it more difficult for our pass oriented offense to move the ball down the field effectively. All that work in practice and in the early weeks of the season is paying off as opposing defenses much now play the run instead of sitting back on our WR's expecting the pass.

I was surprised as well to see Riddle's stat line of 160 yds passing against Furman, but that shows you the progress that we've made since last year and that our offense is becoming a more complete threat. Looking forward to another big game this weekend!

Black and Gold Express
October 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
This year, until the first half against El Cid, App had accomplished squat. You should thank your lucky stars (and the voters who live on them) that you're #2 at 3-2. It just looks odd.

We are thankful that the voters have noticed who we played. We got killed by LSU, a legitimate BCS title contender. We lost by 3 points at the #1 team, a game in which we had total domination over at halftime. And we pounded two substandard teams in JU and PC like we should.

The only thing I will say is that I think our final comeback attempt kept us ranked so high after the JMU loss. If that was an 11-point loss instead of 3 points, we probably fall further.

Also, show me a team outside of JMU that has accomplished anything to this point. It's way too early to be going to that line. We won't know for at least another 3-4 weeks what wins were good ones or not, every team is still defining themselves.

We have one more big road game left (GSU), and two potential trap games on the road (Samford and Western). The remainder of our tough games are in Boone, which is really big for us. We're such a young team all over, and hopefully by the time October is in the books we'll have gelled as a team and still be atop the standings. Then watch out for us.