PDA

View Full Version : Why the Citadel would be the best rival for CCU

MarkCCU
November 2nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
CCU needs to get The Citadel on the schedule for reasons other than proving Citdawg wrong. CCU and The Citadel are both predominatly white schools, on the coast and in major cities here in Carolina. The games would be more fun to go to b/c the town offers excitement after the game as opposed to Orangeburg(SCSU). Fans from both schools would have no problem driving to both towns, as opposed to driving to a SCSU game. Also, the rivalry would be good buisness for the schools and the local economy. I say The Citadel and Coastal make a date to play in either Hagood or Hooters Stadium and lets start having some fun. Who agrees?

OL FU
November 2nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
You should play but you would have to stand in line behind VMI and Furman on the rivalry aspect.

ASU Kep
November 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Please explain how both schools being "predominantly white" would somehow help in a rivalry? Sounds pretty dumb to me...

Hansel
November 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM
Please explain how both schools being "predominantly white" would somehow help in a rivalry? Sounds pretty dumb to me...

:nod: :nod: :nod:

http://www.eurweb.com/images/articles/200501/kanye_west(004-face-fur-med).jpg

CCU doesn't care about Black People

rokamortis
November 2nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
El Cid is much more like a private school than a public - just not a lot in common with us. Sure they would be great games but I don't think it'll ever turn into a rivalry.

SC State may or may not be a true rival either but it will always be a good game. Fans of either team shouldn't have a problem visiting the other school. When I was down in Orangeburg I had a great time and greeted with a lot of hospitality.

yosefcity
November 2nd, 2005, 06:11 PM
My fellow App State fanz would disagree but I think we should get a rivalry going. We need more OCC games. Plus I would not mind a football weekend at the beach.

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Yosef, your fellow App fans completely disagree with you on that aspect.

I don't know what the person in the original thread meant by the white school comment, but SC State is an HBCU so there's a difference there.

I really enjoyed the SC State game. Everyone I talked to there was polite and of course they were rooting for SC State but they were civil about it and remembered it was all in fun.

As was said, we'd be third on El Cid's list. They have the military game against VMI and they have a conference and in-state rival in Furman. I team that is non-conference and not military, unless in the same city, wouldn't do much for The Citadel on a rivalry aspect.

I agree that we need a good rivalry but you can't play a game and say, "These are our rivals just because I want them to be." The rivals are made through the games. I think SC State might turn into one because of how good the game was.

People try to say that Charleston Southern is our rival in football and I just can stomach that one.

bodoyle
November 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
:nod:

took the words right out of my mouth

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2005, 06:31 PM
I tried explaining it but it still makes no sense.

yosefcity
November 2nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
I know they disagree. But I like playing Surfer Boy Tech. LOL! Jk. I don't mind the Chants.

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
A guy I worked with who is a freshman at App this year (I think he's redshirting or practice squad) said he was wishing you guys played here just cause he wanted to go to the beach. In the future, if our program keeps building the way it has, App could become a rival. Not right now though.

As it stands, SC State is the only team that looks like it'll turn into a rivalry at this moment. I know we're playin Wofford next year, who knows how that'll go or if it'll turn into anything.

TigerFan17
November 2nd, 2005, 06:59 PM
:nod: :nod: :nod:

http://www.eurweb.com/images/articles/200501/kanye_west(004-face-fur-med).jpg

CCU doesn't care about Black People

hahahahahahaha :D :D :D

CarolinaGirl
November 2nd, 2005, 07:00 PM
Yosef, your fellow App fans completely disagree with you on that aspect.

I don't know what the person in the original thread meant by the white school comment, but SC State is an HBCU so there's a difference there.

I really enjoyed the SC State game. Everyone I talked to there was polite and of course they were rooting for SC State but they were civil about it and remembered it was all in fun.

As was said, we'd be third on El Cid's list. They have the military game against VMI and they have a conference and in-state rival in Furman. I team that is non-conference and not military, unless in the same city, wouldn't do much for The Citadel on a rivalry aspect.

I agree that we need a good rivalry but you can't play a game and say, "These are our rivals just because I want them to be." The rivals are made through the games. I think SC State might turn into one because of how good the game was.

People try to say that Charleston Southern is our rival in football and I just can stomach that one.
I agree with everything said. I remember thinking after the SCSU game that this would will be an awesome game next year when they come to our house. It could turn into a great in-state rivalry. They tried with Chuck South but the anticipation of that game is not the same at all. Didn't I see some talk on AGS recently about the possibility, however slight, that SCSU could be coming to the BSC?

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Yes, there is a slight chance SC State and a couple others may join the Big South in a few years.

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2005, 07:28 PM
A&T is the natural rival in the area. But what about Elon as a rival. Used to be Big South partners. We're competitive in most of the sports Coastal is good at. The baseball games always draw pretty good crowds. They aren't far apart. They aren't terribly different in size.

Just a thought.

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
I thought about that as well, especially in baseball. I was talking to a pitcher from Elon earlier tonight. We play in February.

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
By the way, that was my 100th post. Thought I'd share.

CoastalFan2005
November 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah...I remember back when the football program started here at CCU, they said that our "Rivalry Weekend" game was against CSU, and that the Bucs would be our rivals. It was like, "Hey...your schools are close together. You should be rivals! That's a GREAT idea!!"

I've said this before, but I personally think we had a better rivalry with Newberry, even though they were a D-II. Our teams just did not seem to get along at ALL.

Coastal89
November 2nd, 2005, 09:42 PM
Yeah...I remember back when the football program started here at CCU, they said that our "Rivalry Weekend" game was against CSU, and that the Bucs would be our rivals. It was like, "Hey...your schools are close together. You should be rivals! That's a GREAT idea!!"

I've said this before, but I personally think we had a better rivalry with Newberry, even though they were a D-II. Our teams just did not seem to get along at ALL.
That stems from many years ago when both schools were NAIA conference foes and Newberry was our biggest rival. We all hated that school. It was similar to the USC- Clemson rivalry on a smaller scale. Much campus vandalism happened back then.

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2005, 10:20 PM
I know Elon fans have been in search of a rival. The A&T game is always heated for football, but we don't play the aggies in anything else, we'd dismantle them in almost everything else.

Presbyterian wouldn't be a bad rival fpr you or us for that matter, I always liked playing them back in the old SAC-8.

But, I really think Coastal and Elon could build on something for football and baseball. But your more natural rivals for basketball would probably be UNCW or CoC when you get in the SoCon.

MarkCCU
November 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
Excuse me for predominately white but you can't get away from that fact in reality. The schools are common. Now I know the difference, military and public. They have more men then women and CCU has more women the men. But that's just gives us more similarities that help the rival. And you're right, I couldn't stomach having CSU as a real rival. SC State was a good game, and the town is nice, but given the chance to go to either Charleston or Myrtle Beach over O'burg...i'd take Charleston or MB any day of the week. Once again, something to bring to a rivalry. who is the best school on the coast? CCU or El Cid? Who is the best inland school? Clemson or USC?
This is just one mans idea and view.

windwalker
November 3rd, 2005, 02:04 AM

Duh!!! Me too.. Has absolutely nothing to do with football..

SoCon48
November 3rd, 2005, 08:05 AM
My fellow App State fanz would disagree but I think we should get a rivalry going. We need more OCC games. Plus I would not mind a football weekend at the beach.

I don't disagree, I'm just not convinced it could develop to a great level on App's part. The distance takes away much of the natural aspect of the rivalry. Inserted into the middle of a tough schedule rather than opening game or HC, and it quite possibly could transcend to the interest and draw of Liberty.
We already have several that fit or are developing into the rivalry category(Elon, Furman, WCU, etc) . As soon as CSU gets into the SoCon, that will eliminate the OOC aspect that we are in need of. .
Now, if Coastal can defeat the defending national champs (before they imploded) every year a week before we play, then it has great potential as a draw. Otherwise, it would take a lot of artificial development.
For ASU, it would be nice if the new AD could get Wake back on our schedule in spite of the fact that all 21 games were played in Wake's Groves Stadium. That was one we were pretty competitive with and one that WE liked to consider a rivalry. It was our closest geographic opponent.
The new AD doesn't seem to be having any luck thus far.