PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between......

Col Hogan
September 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM
ASU, EWU, NDSU, UD,UMass & UNI???

All are 2-2, yet their rankings on the various polls are a pretty wide range apart...

Discuss...

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Well, for starters...UMass Sucks!!!

O'Doyle Rules!!!

Col Hogan
September 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM

O'Doyle Rules!!!

And the Comedy Channel is looking for writers...xlmaox

Seriously, one example is UMass and ASU...

Both have lost to JMU and to a top 10 FCS squad...yet their rankings are vastly different...

Could last year be influencing the year...

I'm in no way argueing for a higher ranking for UMass...but how can one be a #3 the the other be a #23...?????

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM

O'Doyle Rules!!!

xlolx [not that I agree, but it's funny]

All are play-off caliber teams who've played up to tough FBS competition and lost. All have a lot of games left on the schedule to prove or disprove their contention.

The difference between EWU and UMass... UMass' defense sucks a tad more. :D

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Also, one thing that sets EWU apart from all others listed, is that EWU hasn't lost to an FCS team. We played two FBS teams, almost beating one. Granted we haven't played tough FCS team yet either.

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
And the Comedy Channel is looking for writers...xlmaox

Seriously, one example is UMass and ASU...

Both have lost to JMU and to a top 10 FCS squad...yet their rankings are vastly different...

Could last year be influencing the year...

I'm in no way argueing for a higher ranking for UMass...but how can one be a #3 the the other be a #23...?????

If it makes you feel any better (I'm sure it will), I have UMass higher than 23. I was at both the UMass and ASU games and Second Half UMass would beat Second Half ASU (maybe, JMU's D-line turned it up a notch in the second half against ASU). The reverse is also true, though, First Half ASU beats First Half UMass.

What does this all mean?

Nothing. But, I do know that it will all work itself out in the next few weeks. Maybe.

Col Hogan
September 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Also, one thing that sets EWU apart from all others listed, is that EWU hasn't lost to an FCS team. We played two FBS teams, almost beating one. Granted we haven't played tough FCS team yet either.

I'm gonna give you a half a point on that arguement...that's all...xpeacex

Col Hogan
September 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
If it makes you feel any better (I'm sure it will), I have UMass higher than 23. I was at both the UMass and ASU games and Second Half UMass would beat Second Half ASU (maybe, JMU's D-line turned it up a notch in the second half against ASU). The reverse is also true, though, First Half ASU beats First Half UMass.

What does this all mean?

Nothing. But, I do know that it will all work itself out in the next few weeks. Maybe.

You're correct...the damn slow start by our defense doomed us that game against JMU...

But take UMass out of the agruement...still a number of teams with the same record with a pretty wide range in the polls...how do folks explain/justify/rationalize that???

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
You're correct...the damn slow start by our defense doomed us that game against JMU...

But take UMass out of the agruement...still a m
Number of teams with the same record witha pretty wide range in the polls...how do folks explain/justify/rationalize that???

Right now, there's still only a lot of opinion going around.

Take UMass and ASU for example (wait, you already did, but do it again):

According to the "polls" both lost to teams they should have and beat teams they should have. In the relativity of the polls, that doesn't mean a whole lot. So, you really just have how you think a team will be the rest of the year.

DLS
September 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
"They’re Appalachian State, Nike commercials and stuff.”
- JMU's Abdul-Wahid

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm gonna give you a half a point on that arguement...that's all...xpeacex

Half a rep point? xwhistlex

I could use some more of those... ;)

Col Hogan
September 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Right now, there's still only a lot of opinion going around.

Take UMass and ASU for example (wait, you already did, but do it again):

According to the "polls" both lost to teams they should have and beat teams they should have. In the relativity of the polls, that doesn't mean a whole lot. So, you really just have how you think a team will be the rest of the year.

But ASU was ranked higher than JMU when they played...so can you count that as losing to a team they should have lost to???

Col Hogan
September 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Half a rep point? xwhistlex

I could use some more of those... ;)

Since you asked nicely...xlolx xlolx xlolx

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
But ASU was ranked higher than JMU when they played...so can you count that as losing to a team they should have lost to???

For the purposes of the poll for this week, I think you can since your question was geared at that.

FWIW, Umass was ranked above JMU for their game, too.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Since you asked nicely...xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bow chica bow wow...

xbowx xbowx xbowx

RabidRabbit
September 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM
NDSU - right now these Bison look very suspect. Injuries appear to have really taken a toll on these guys. If they are the championship stock that was 10-1 for the last two years, they'll need to prove it at home vs SIU. Then WIU, then on the road with UNI. This next game after a bye week at home. They will need to rise if going to hold position. No quality wins, just few points losses on the quality games. Only by winning the SIU game will I bring them up to SDSU ranking after their YSU loss.

EWU - Like McNeese basically untested at the FCS. They are there based on last year's results, and returning starters. I'm thinking the only way in to the play-offs for EWU is to win the Big Sky, because with they have no FCS OOC games left.

McNeese - First big test (because of Ike) will be their last? OOC for the season. And it is against Mr Jekyl/Dr. Hyde of the rated teams. If the 4 starters on D are still out, this may be bad news for the Bunnies. But if they're healthy, well this could be a battle royal. From the start, I felt McNeese would win their conference, or win the auto-bid because UCA won. They had two games that would show where the stood relative to FCS. And they were great bellweather games vs Cal Poly and SDSU.

UNI & ASU - their FCS loss was to a highly rated opponent, away. Their FBS losses where to two very solid programs in their respective conferences. At least UNI has the solid win over SDSU, but has a non-counter win vs USD Yotes. ASU - Seriously Presby and non-schollie Jax? xoopsx These are top teams in their conferences, and I expect that they will share the title, or be a single loss back of a single champ.

UD/UMass - What to do with these two. Losses to BCS teams and to top 15 teams FCS, away. Both won over Albany. Forgetting who is UMass's other win. UD other win is their perennial D-II pidgeon (I believe SDSU will be replacing these guys, starting in '10). I have them hovering around the teens.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM

But take UMass out of the agruement...still a number of teams with the same record with a pretty wide range in the polls...how do folks explain/justify/rationalize that???

Simple explanation - perception is reality.

People were way up on UMass because of 8 starters returning on D, and now their D sucks? xconfusedx xrotatehx

Hold court vs. Delaware this weekend and the Minutemen will be close to a top 10 ranking, maybe higher. xpeacex

crusader11
September 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
UMASS has been far less impressive than ASU in their wins. Beating Holy Cross by 3 at the buzzer and Albany by 12. Granted, Jacksonville and Presbyterian are really not that good.

jonmac
September 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Still too early to put any stock in the polls, if you ever can.