PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Football Savors Moment

dgreco
September 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
http://bryantbulldogs.com/images/fball/Action08/FB-FirstWinweb.jpg?max_height=305&max_width=419

Last Saturday's 24-14 win over Wagner College not only moved the Bulldogs back above .500 heading into the bye weekend, but will be long remembered in the record books as Bryant's first against a Division I opponent. After notching wins over Division II Merrimack and Southern Connecticut, the Bulldogs ventured down to Staten Island and pulled out a solid win over the host Seahawks on a wet and dreary afternoon.

While Brooklyn native Jerell Smith carried the offense with 143 yards on the ground, it was the Bryant defense that stood tall in the end. Behind the play of safety Bryce Martins, linemen Don Smith (2 sacks), Andrew Regan, Patrick and Peter Gauthier and linebacker Andre Whyte, the Bulldogs held Wagner to just 10 first downs and negative 17 yards rushing.

The Bulldogs led 17-7 at the half with the lone blemish coming on a short pass to tight end Peter Zagorski that turned into an 80 yard score. It was Zagorski's only catch of the day.

Whyte helped get the Bulldogs on the board with a blocked punt that was recovered by Anthony Castelli in the end zone. From there, the Bulldogs racked up six sacks for a loss of 47 yards in the game and tallied 11 tackles for a loss. Corner John Suarez had a fumble recovery and interception return for 23 yards.

Punter Brian Donnelly did a good job of pinning the Seahawks deep. The senior averaged 46.3 yards on six punts including a long of 65.

The Bulldogs will have a week off to get healthy before heading to Poughkeepsie, NY to face Marist College in a 6 p.m. game October 11.

danefan
September 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Congrats to Bryant!

Next win worth taking a picture of will be your first win as an official DI team. Looking forward to that too!

Lionsrking
September 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
http://bryantbulldogs.com/images/fball/Action08/FB-FirstWinweb.jpg?max_height=305&max_width=419

Last Saturday's 24-14 win over Wagner College not only moved the Bulldogs back above .500 heading into the bye weekend, but will be long remembered in the record books as Bryant's first against a Division I opponent. After notching wins over Division II Merrimack and Southern Connecticut, the Bulldogs ventured down to Staten Island and pulled out a solid win over the host Seahawks on a wet and dreary afternoon.

While Brooklyn native Jerell Smith carried the offense with 143 yards on the ground, it was the Bryant defense that stood tall in the end. Behind the play of safety Bryce Martins, linemen Don Smith (2 sacks), Andrew Regan, Patrick and Peter Gauthier and linebacker Andre Whyte, the Bulldogs held Wagner to just 10 first downs and negative 17 yards rushing.

The Bulldogs led 17-7 at the half with the lone blemish coming on a short pass to tight end Peter Zagorski that turned into an 80 yard score. It was Zagorski's only catch of the day.

Whyte helped get the Bulldogs on the board with a blocked punt that was recovered by Anthony Castelli in the end zone. From there, the Bulldogs racked up six sacks for a loss of 47 yards in the game and tallied 11 tackles for a loss. Corner John Suarez had a fumble recovery and interception return for 23 yards.

Punter Brian Donnelly did a good job of pinning the Seahawks deep. The senior averaged 46.3 yards on six punts including a long of 65.

The Bulldogs will have a week off to get healthy before heading to Poughkeepsie, NY to face Marist College in a 6 p.m. game October 11.

Congratulations!!!

dgreco
September 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
next important win will be a home DI win, and then a DI win as a DI program.

downbythebeach
September 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
you should beat Marist in Poughkeepsie

Go...gate
September 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Congratulations!

dgreco
September 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
you should beat Marist in Poughkeepsie

I hope so. In our last six I hope we come out at least 3-3 and I think 4-2 and 5-1 if we play flawless is possible.

Uncle Buck
September 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Congrats. I wonder if it was bittersweet for your DC Greg Gigantino, he's a Wagner grad. Also a great guy, he was my DC when i played at Hofstra.

seahawkfan2007
September 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Congratulations to Bryant. While I wish that first FCS "W" was against someone else, you guys deserved the win and will do well in the NEC in years to come.

Seawolf97
September 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Congratulations to the Bulldogs!

dgreco
September 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think everyone is excited to just get back on the field on the 11th.

Seahawks Fan
September 30th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Congrats to Bryant. I sat through that rainy game and I can say you beat us pretty good. xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
September 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Congrats Bryant. xthumbsupx

You're still 0-1 against us though. xsmiley_wix

Old Cage
September 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Let's hope you arrive in The Valley on the 25th at 5 and 2.

For any Bryant folks coming - get tickets ahead! It is Band Day, an annual extravaganza that must be seen. Over 3,000 kids in uniform. We could easily sell out if the weather is good. Plan to come into the stadium early and stay after the game.

http://www.umass.edu/band/bandday/index.html

JD51
September 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Congrats to Bryant - great win. I'll be looking forward to the Marist game.

WWII
September 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Congratulations, and keep up the good work.

dgreco
September 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Let's hope you arrive in The Valley on the 25th at 5 and 2.

For any Bryant folks coming - get tickets ahead! It is Band Day, an annual extravaganza that must be seen. Over 3,000 kids in uniform. We could easily sell out if the weather is good. Plan to come into the stadium early and stay after the game.

http://www.umass.edu/band/bandday/index.html

Should be an exciting game for the players if it sells out. I am trying to make it back up north for this game, but don't know if I can make it.

dgreco
September 30th, 2008, 04:32 PM
D2 Stonehill beat Wagner this year, just sayin.

Well you said they would only win 2 this year, they won more... and you miss the point. its a monument for the team. As a non-alum you miss out on the excitement of the win.

i think we need to change bdfan to negativefan because you never say anything positive about the bulldogs.

dgreco
September 30th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I love the Bulldogs, I am just finding it hard to get excited about the NEC right now, very weak conference.

be excited for the team not the conference. They are doing great in other sports right now too. It will take time and I think the way they are competing with the NEC schools already shows they will be the top team in 5 years. The only sport I see them really suffering in over the next 5 years are men's and women's soccer and field hockey. Other than that they can compete and will be near the top or at the top of most sports. That will put them in a lot of post season tourneys.

aceinthehole
September 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
be excited for the team not the conference. They are doing great in other sports right now too. It will take time and I think the way they are competing with the NEC schools already shows they will be the top team in 5 years. The only sport I see them really suffering in over the next 5 years are men's and women's soccer and field hockey. Other than that they can compete and will be near the top or at the top of most sports. That will put them in a lot of post season tourneys.

Yeah??? Really??? Guys, give it a rest. You lost to CCSU and Monmouth. You beat Wagner, which hasn't contended for a NEC football title ever!!!!! Congrats on the win, but lets crawl before you run. Its a long season, and its just getting started.

And as for basketball .... hopefully you do better than NJIT has in their transition to D-I, but I won't hold my breath. This aint the Big East, but it will take you years to compete with CCSU, Monmouth, Robert Morris, SHU and QU in hoops.

dgreco
September 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah??? Really??? Guys, give it a rest. You lost to CCSU and Monmouth. You beat Wagner, which hasn't contended for a NEC football title ever!!!!! Congrats on the win, but lets crawl before you run. Its a long season, and its just getting started.

And as for basketball .... hopefully you do better than NJIT has in their transition to D-I, but I won't hold my breath. This aint the Big East, but it will take you years to compete with CCSU, Monmouth, Robert Morris, SHU and QU in hoops.

I meant other sports. Last year we beat NEC teams in Hoops. This year we have beat the top NEC teams in Volleyball, and in Golf. I think we will compete in Lacrosse and lead the way in that. I think a consistent top 25 program in DII hoops can compete with the NEC in hoops. They have been in the top 25 consistently for 4 years and have made it to the NCAA tourney for 5 straight years. And in that run 1 national championship game, 1 elite eight and 3 sweet sixteens. I think they can handle the mid and lower level NEC teams in the their first 4 years. Like you said the NEC isn't the Big East.

In hoops alone this year we brought is Lasme a top 40 recruit in the country and the leading shot blocker and center from UMass, Papa Lo, transfered. I am sure they will be fine and compete in almost every sport. Like I said the weakest sports will be in Soccer and Field Hockey.

Dane96
September 30th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Huh?

Lasme turned pro. Believe me...I am pretty tight with people at UMASS hoops.

dgreco
October 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
Huh?

Lasme turned pro. Believe me...I am pretty tight with people at UMASS hoops.

His younger brother. Romaric.

Romaric Lasme - Signed NLI (http://bryantbulldogs.com/sports/mbkb/2008-09/News/2008May22Recruits)

Papa Lo to Bryant (http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/07/umass_adds_one_player_loses_an.html)

Old Cage
October 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Trust me on this - Lasme the Younger is not a top 40 recruit!

Last I saw (long ago) is that HoopScoop had him barely in a New England top 40.

I saw him at UMass games when Stephane was playing, but I do not think that we offered.

Papa is interesting - He is extremely bright and works hard. You will have to find a good sub shop and ice cream store and try to add 50 pounds on him before he can play effective D1 minutes.

dgreco
October 1st, 2008, 09:21 AM
Trust me on this - Lasme the Younger is not a top 40 recruit!

Last I saw (long ago) is that HoopScoop had him barely in a New England top 40.

I saw him at UMass games when Stephane was playing, but I do not think that we offered.

Papa is interesting - He is extremely bright and works hard. You will have to find a good sub shop and ice cream store and try to add 50 pounds on him before he can play effective D1 minutes.

I got to heated and excited I mean Top 40 PF/SF that was ESPN's ranking of him. I have never seen the kid play so idk how good he is. Also, Lo has to sit out this year so he has a year to put on some weight. I think he may have a hard time at Bryant though, its a very small school with an upper middle class rich kid mentality. Most of the international students are rich kids from India or China so I wonder how all that goes.

Old Cage
October 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Papa is married. He should be fine.

Papa married Moumy. As one guy on our board posted, "you can't make this &%$# up".

Sorry about the digression. You can get back to football now.

dgreco
October 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Papa is married. He should be fine.

Papa married Moumy. As one guy on our board posted, "you can't make this &%$# up".

Sorry about the digression. You can get back to football now.

I was just thinking this is no longer about Bryant's first DI win. Good to see he is grounded and the "college" life will not be a main focus for him.