PDA

View Full Version : NAU Run Defense - holding opponent negative

dbackjon
September 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Limited New Mexico Highlands to minus 7 yards
Limited Southern Utah to minus 26 yards
Limited Northern Colorado to minus 25 yards

Three straight games holding opponents to negative rushing yards.

UNHWildCats
September 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Total rushing yards allowed on season including FBS opponent = 36 or 9 yards per game.

DANG!

dbackjon
September 28th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Total rushing yards allowed on season including FBS opponent = 36 or 9 yards per game.

DANG!

Yup - Arizona State got 94 yards.

Of course, the also got 387 in the air...

siuham
September 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Keeping any team negative, even a DII team, is impressive. Doing it 3 times? That's just silly.

catbob
September 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Wow, I had no idea. That is a great stat. Does SUU still run a type of option offense? I know they have a new coaching staff.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Please, no "negative" posts.

;)

dbackjon
September 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Wow, I had no idea. That is a great stat. Does SUU still run a type of option offense? I know they have a new coaching staff.

Not sure on that - I was drunk in Missoula during the NAU/SUU game. Montana sure has a hell of a lot of bars!

dbackjon
September 28th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Please, no "negative" posts.

;)

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cleets
September 28th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Wait to NAU plays Harvard..!!! xnodx

(I think I saw that on the 2016 schedule)

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Not sure on that - I was drunk in Missoula during the NAU/SUU game. Montana sure has a hell of a lot of bars!

DBack if you think Msla has a lot of bars your crazy. Show up a day early and I will take you over to Butte. We could drink all day and only have one beer at each bar and we would never make it to all of them.

34K people 100 plus liquor licenses

dbackjon
September 29th, 2008, 12:07 AM
DBack if you think Msla has a lot of bars your crazy. Show up a day early and I will take you over to Butte. We could drink all day and only have one beer at each bar and we would never make it to all of them.

34K people 100 plus liquor licenses

xeekx xeekx xeekx That is a hell of a lot of bars. And compared to Arizona - Missoula has a lot of bars!!

IaaScribe
September 29th, 2008, 12:29 AM

I miss nights hanging out at Stockmen's ... and the Rhino. Missoula's a great drinking town.

dbackjon
September 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I miss nights hanging out at Stockmen's ... and the Rhino. Missoula's a great drinking town.

Lynchburg a little different than that, eh?

Green Laser
September 29th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Limited New Mexico Highlands to minus 7 yards
Limited Southern Utah to minus 26 yards
Limited Northern Colorado to minus 25 yards

Three straight games holding opponents to negative rushing yards.

That streak will end on Saturday. There is no way you will be holding Sac State to minus yards on the ground!

dbackjon
September 29th, 2008, 02:16 AM
That streak will end on Saturday. There is no way you will be holding Sac State to minus yards on the ground!

Probably not. Sac State has a good ground game.

I Bleed Purple
September 29th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Those negative stats would change should a team play Navy.

:D

CopperCat
September 29th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Ah, the return of the vaunted defense.........

Seriously though, that's impressive.

dbackjon
September 29th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Ah, the return of the vaunted defense.........

Seriously though, that's impressive.

xnodx Passing game needs some work still.

CopperCat
September 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM
xnodx Passing game needs some work still.

But look at the bright side: you are forcing the opposing offense to go with their passing game. If your CBs improve a little bit, then your defensive synergy will be awesome.

IaaScribe
September 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Lynchburg a little different than that, eh?

Eh, a couple of decent spots. But a bit harder to find.

already123
September 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
the defense is playing LightsOut right now! Sac State's offense is much improved...it will be a good test to see where we are really at in comparison to the rest of the conference. I like our chances though. The secondary is playing great as well, though pure numbers dont do them justice. Check out this article...

http://azdailysun.com/articles/2008/09/29/news/sports/20080929_sport_182344.txt

Green Laser
September 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
the defense is playing LightsOut right now! Sac State's offense is much improved...it will be a good test to see where we are really at in comparison to the rest of the conference. I like our chances though. The secondary is playing great as well, though pure numbers dont do them justice. Check out this article...

http://azdailysun.com/articles/2008/09/29/news/sports/20080929_sport_182344.txt

Our defense isn't too shabby either! The secondary is a little young but they are improving every week and played well against Portland. It should be a good game!

UNCBears2010
September 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, UNC only ran the ball 20 times against NAU, and one of those was a snap over the QB's head for -24 yards, and 4 were sacks, so we only really ran the ball 15 times.

That being said, NAU's run defense is damn good and, IMO, made our QB think too much and try too hard, hurting his performance.

dbackjon
October 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
NAU held Sac State to 21 yards rushing, most in the 4th quarter.

NAU is holding FCS opponents to negative yardage still. All opponents are averaging 11 yards a game

JALMOND
October 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
NAU held Sac State to 21 yards rushing, most in the 4th quarter.

NAU is holding FCS opponents to negative yardage still. All opponents are averaging 11 yards a game

Should probably continue next week. But how are you at stopping the pass?:)

UNCBears2010
October 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
UNC's game against NAU is the only one in which we've been held under 120 yards rushing. Their run defense is VERY good.

dbackjon
October 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Should probably continue next week. But how are you at stopping the pass?:)

Decent, but not great....

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM
EWU held PSU to -26 yards rushing today... xwhistlex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

dbackjon
October 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
NAU holds PSU to negative yardage today.

Opponents on the season - 53 TOTAL YARDS - 7.2 per game.

Other than Arizona State game, opponents averageing - -8 yards per game

IaaScribe
October 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Jon .. honest question: Did Portland State even try to run the ball? 20 carries, 12 from the quarterbacks in that game. It seems like people have given up trying to run on NAU.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Jon .. honest question: Did Portland State even try to run the ball? 20 carries, 12 from the quarterbacks in that game. It seems like people have given up trying to run on NAU.

I didn't get to watch the game yet - was playing Softball in San Diego.

I sort of expected this from PSU - they don't run much to begin with.

gbhmt
October 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah PSU's run and shoot offense is nearly all passing.

Boy am I glad the Griz get NAU at home this year. NAU's place is the next hardest place to play, and we're gonna need all we can get going our way this year.

already123
October 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
That is the one down side about our season thus far....we have to go TO WaGriz this year...no matter how good NAU teams have been in the past, we always stuggle up there. This one has the makings to be a great game!

Savage Paw
October 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM

You can say that again. In almost every town there is a City Bar, Mint Bar, Stockmans Bar, and Antler Bar among the many others.

I Bleed Purple
October 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Question: How much of the negative rush defense plays can be contributed to sacks and team rushes? Weber had a -45 team rush on the botched punt snap. Brings down the total rush yards.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Question: How much of the negative rush defense plays can be contributed to sacks and team rushes? Weber had a -45 team rush on the botched punt snap. Brings down the total rush yards.

Good question - teams have gained a total of 330 positive yards on the Jacks, and lost 277, a good portion I would assume are on sacks.

Even still, that means that teams are averaging 55 yards POSITIVE rushing against NAU, and a least a third of that was by Arizona State.

AppGrad06
October 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
So we know who has the best run defense in FCS if not all of college football

I Bleed Purple
October 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Good question - teams have gained a total of 330 positive yards on the Jacks, and lost 277, a good portion I would assume are on sacks.

Even still, that means that teams are averaging 55 yards POSITIVE rushing against NAU, and a least a third of that was by Arizona State.

What's the average rush for the positive 330? I know you've played at least one team that runs very little.