PDA

View Full Version : UNI / SIU rant

Ronin
September 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Congratulations to SIU. I expected them to be tough and they were... very impressed by the speed and elusive running of (21) Warner.

UNI had six turnovers and still only lost by 3 in the final second. However, I was once again dismayed to see Grace at the QB spot. He has a slow release and no accuracy. Big kid with decent speed, but not really a running back either. I know the coach wants to use his talents (tried him at LB, RB and QB)... just doesn't seem to fit, at least not at QB. Too many poor decisions as well.

This may be a short season if the QB coach can't change some bad habits, since I doubt they will play the freshman, even though he has looked very good when in the game.

JayJ79
September 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
UNI only had 5 turnovers (4 fumbles, 1 INT)
And Corey Lewis had almost as many TOs as Grace, should they pull him too?

crunifan
September 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I will admit I am wary of Grace myself. He has made some very bad decisions in almost every game this season. I'm not sure if they are just learning mistakes or what, but if they don't because less frequent I'd prefer to see someone else take a stab at the QB role.

siuham
September 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Could have been another turnover if Grace had been running from the 3 instead of the 1. He lost one that just crossed the endzone. Was called a TD (And rightfully so.)

Grace was eating up our Defense with his runs though. Which doesn't say much. We apparently don't understand that sometimes, a QB can fake to a RB and run himself.

Reed Rothchild
September 29th, 2008, 05:30 AM
UNI only had 5 turnovers (4 fumbles, 1 INT)
And Corey Lewis had almost as many TOs as Grace, should they pull him too?

ONLY???? 5 is a lot

JayJ79
September 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM
ONLY???? 5 is a lot

Yes. Five is WAY too many turnovers.

but it isn't Six, as Ronin had stated.

JayJ79
September 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Could have been another turnover if Grace had been running from the 3 instead of the 1. He lost one that just crossed the endzone. Was called a TD (And rightfully so.)

Yes. Two of our key players (Grace and Lewis) need to learn to HOLD ONTO THE FREAKIN BALL!!!!!!!

I'm sure the SIU defenders probably had something to do with it, attempting to strip the ball, etc. But you still gotta hold onto it it. ugh.

RabidRabbit
September 29th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yes. Two of our key players (Grace and Lewis) need to learn to HOLD ONTO THE FREAKIN BALL!!!!!!!

I'm sure the SIU defenders probably had something to do with it, attempting to strip the ball, etc. But you still gotta hold onto it it. ugh.

What was the MARGIN of TO's UNI vs SIU? If it was +5 SIU gain, yes, SIU is going to win. If the margin was even, to +1 either way shouldn't have influenced the outcome much.

Houndawg
September 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Congratulations to SIU. I expected them to be tough and they were... very impressed by the speed and elusive running of (21) Warner.

UNI had six turnovers and still only lost by 3 in the final second. However, I was once again dismayed to see Grace at the QB spot. He has a slow release and no accuracy. Big kid with decent speed, but not really a running back either. I know the coach wants to use his talents (tried him at LB, RB and QB)... just doesn't seem to fit, at least not at QB. Too many poor decisions as well.

This may be a short season if the QB coach can't change some bad habits, since I doubt they will play the freshman, even though he has looked very good when in the game.

This is turning into a game that you wouldn't want to leave early from. Last year Nick Hill threw for 436 yards, but SIU committed four TOs and lost on the last play.

Ronin
September 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
My other "complaint" with Grace is he locks onto one receiver, hasn't learned yet to look off the receiver. He gives UNI the ability to run the option, but they give up a passing offense. I suspect other teams will shut this down fairly quickly.

I'll say it again SIU has always been a tough game for us, at home or away.

My bad on the amount of turnovers... I thought I heard six from the announcer, should have waited for the official stats.

Ronin
September 29th, 2008, 09:14 AM
This is turning into a game that you wouldn't want to leave early from. Last year Nick Hill threw for 436 yards, but SIU committed four TOs and lost on the last play.

I was at that game and it was a heart stopper for those watching the game. SIU was very close to winning that game. If I remember correctly SIU was pushed out at the 3 yard line for a game saving tackle as time expired.

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
It was his FOURTH game as a starter...give me a friggin break. I think you have been a little spoiled. I don't think there is a quarterback on the roster who is going to make as few mistakes or have the accuracy that Sanders had.

The backup looked decent in mop up duty at BYU he has no other playing time this year. I don't think we can say he is going to come in and fix things.

Right now he makes some bad decisions if they don't get fixed by the end of the year he may not be who we want next year. And some of these things should be told to him by the coaches. Like at the end of the game when he should have thrown the ball away, but it got picked off (luckily there was a penalty). The coaches should be telling him to just throw the ball away, but as a former quarterback I know how hard it is to do that.

I will tell you this much I would prefer to have Grace over the kid they had at SIU. He made quite a few more bad decisions that didn't end up hurting them as much cuz we dropped a couple of INTs.

Thundering_Herd
September 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM
MVFC, what a friggin' no-holds-barred fistfight! Sorry about the loss UNI,...you can't win often with that many turnovers, just ask us Bison! Congrats to SIU on their 'win'. Dale Lennon, see you back in the Fargodome this weekend. Your team better come ready to play cause the Bison are pissed off and hungry!!! Sorry for trolling, good luck to SIU and UNI the rest of the season...

siuham
September 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
What was the MARGIN of TO's UNI vs SIU? If it was +5 SIU gain, yes, SIU is going to win. If the margin was even, to +1 either way shouldn't have influenced the outcome much.

I think it was +3 for SIU. I can't remember without looking at the box score.

JayJ79
September 29th, 2008, 10:19 AM
MVFC, what a friggin' no-holds-barred fistfight! Sorry about the loss UNI,...you can't win often with that many turnovers, just ask us Bison! Congrats to SIU on their 'win'. Dale Lennon, see you back in the Fargodome this weekend. Your team better come ready to play cause the Bison are pissed off and hungry!!! Sorry for trolling, good luck to SIU and UNI the rest of the season...

I'll be cheering for the Bison next week.

RabidRabbit
September 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'll be cheering for the Bison next week.

Yes, bring SIU down in Fargo, and all 6 pre-season rated MoValley teams will have been tagged for a loss in conference

JayJ79
September 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Both teams had 1 interception.
UNI fumbled 4 frickin times and lost all 4,
while SIU fumbled once, but recovered it.

so that's +4 turnover margin for SIU.

Though UNI did block a punt, (and partially block a FG attempt, I think), and some of the penalties on SIU were essentially turnovers, but not officially.

Houndawg
September 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
My other "complaint" with Grace is he locks onto one receiver, hasn't learned yet to look off the receiver. He gives UNI the ability to run the option, but they give up a passing offense. I suspect other teams will shut this down fairly quickly.

I'll say it again SIU has always been a tough game for us, at home or away.

My bad on the amount of turnovers... I thought I heard six from the announcer, should have waited for the official stats.

Dieker does the same thing; both of them are new and both were going against a pretty good defense, still a little early to bench either of them.

RabidRabbit
September 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Both teams had 1 interception.
UNI fumbled 4 frickin times and lost all 4,
while SIU fumbled once, but recovered it.

so that's +4 turnover margin for SIU.

Though UNI did block a punt, (and partially block a FG attempt, I think), and some of the penalties on SIU were essentially turnovers, but not officially.

Pretty much, if over >2, that team will win most of the time.

SIU had most of the factors for success, home field, +4 TO. I'm impressed that UNI keep it down to a last second FG to win. xbowx xbowx

Khan4Cats
September 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Pretty much, if over >2, that team will win most of the time.

SIU had most of the factors for success, home field, +4 TO. I'm impressed that UNI keep it down to a last second FG to win. xbowx xbowx

I believe SIU had something like 46 yards of offense in the second half, and only about 230 for the game. The UNI defense is for real. Other factors have kept games far closer than they should be so far this year-penalties, turnovers, vanilla gameplan (against USD).

Hoping we get it cleaned up, if we do we'll lay it on Nicholls State Thursday night.