PDA

View Full Version : FURMAN VS ELON

furman94
September 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Opponents: Elon Pheonix vs Furman Paladins
Date: Saturday, October 4
Time: 1:30 p.m.

Gameday Central: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/08-furm-gameday.html

Elon Website: http://www.elonphoenix.com
Furman Website: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com

Message Boards:
Elon: www.elonfans.info

Furman: www.theuffp.com

Both Teams come in 4-1 coming off of Wins at home; Elon getting by Samford, and Furman demolishing Chattanooga.

Team Stats:

Total first downs:
Elon is number 3 in the nation with 111 first downs, FU is 17th with 95

3rd down percentage:
Elon is 45th at 40% (on 81 attempts), FU is 26th with 44.4% (on 63 attempts).

Penalties:
Furman is 74th with 23 penalties, Elon is 54th with 26.
Georgia Southern, btw, leads the nation with 100 penalties, while the next closest team (Texas Southern) still only has 54 penalties. Wow.

Furman is 7th with 169, Elon is 14th with 151.

Rushing Yards:
Furman is 20th with 829 yards, Elon is 52nd with 605.

Passing Yards:
Elon is 3rd in the nation with 1,474 passing yards, FU is 19th with 1167.

Sacks:
Elon's Scott Riddle has been sacked 12 times (12th in the nation). Jordan Sorrells has been sacked 3 times (105th in the nation).

Interceptions:
Sorrells has 3 INTs to Riddle's 7.

THOUGHTS? PREDICTIONS? COMMENTS?

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2008, 05:34 PM
For as often as Furman has been throwing recently, the fact that Jordan Sorrells has only been sacked three times in 5 games (two of which were against very good defenses) is pretty incredible.

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=furman94;1125009]Opponents: Elon Pheonix vs Furman Paladins

Message Boards:
Elon: www.elonfans.com
[\Quote]

Elons message board is www.elonfans.info

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Opponents: Elon Pheonix vs Furman Paladins

Message Boards:
Elon: www.elonfans.com

Elons message board is www.elonfans.info

furman94
September 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Fixed!

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Fixed!

thanks, yea the .com was the old one. Just didnt want people looking in he wrong place xshakingmadx xbangx

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Is this the biggest game to be played at Elon in recent memory? Not to make Furman sound like some kind of giant, but when you consider the Elon's recent move up, the tough years since that move, and the ranking of both teams, it seems like this might be one of the largest homegames they've played in a long while.

matfu
September 28th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I am cautiously optimistic that Furman will win. Losing Justin Brown (our all-southern conference noseguard) is HUGE but our other guys will have to step up.

Furman 35
Elon 28

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Im not sure. Richmond was pretty big game, but conf games could be bigger. There was GSU in 2005 when we started off great. There was a lot of hype to that game too. Personally I like the Furman riverly. my freshman year was the last of the FURMAN road trip we did every year. It was a 2 hour delay 6 of our 7 busses went home , we lost 57-7 and it rained all game. Was one of the best times I had at a football game.
Heres to a great game. Both teams have a lot riding on this game

LarryBoy
September 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Was one of the best times I had at a football game.

...do you also have a good time at the dentist?

elonpuckhog
September 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
While we're into correcting mistakes, its PHOENIX!!

The actual game itself? I think it will be close, although if we played like we did this weekend, we'll get our butts kicked. I don't see this as the biggest game at Elon in recent memory. I would put last year's ASU and this years Richmond game ahead of this one. I'm hoping for a good, competitive, close game. I think the teams are pretty evenly matched.

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
...do you also have a good time at the dentist?

Bring on the DR.xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx

The atmosphere was what I enjoyed. cheering on a team in a tarential rain. It was my first road trip, and the second or third game I had seen as a freshman. Gata love college football

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Im not sure. Richmond was pretty big game, but conf games could be bigger. There was GSU in 2005 when we started off great. There was a lot of hype to that game too. Personally I like the Furman riverly. my freshman year was the last of the FURMAN road trip we did every year. It was a 2 hour delay 6 of our 7 busses went home , we lost 57-7 and it rained all game. Was one of the best times I had at a football game.
Heres to a great game. Both teams have a lot riding on this game

I was there. I always repeat the stat line from that game by Furman receiver Ike West. 3 catches, 176 yards, 3 touchdowns.

Elon's come a long way.

PhoenixPhan06
September 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Is this the biggest game to be played at Elon in recent memory? Not to make Furman sound like some kind of giant, but when you consider the Elon's recent move up, the tough years since that move, and the ranking of both teams, it seems like this might be one of the largest homegames they've played in a long while.

In terms of importance, yes it could very well be the biggest game at Rhodes Stadium. This game will say alot about what kind of team we are and if we're ready for those lofty expectations week in and week out.

This won't be the first big game though. Last year when App State was a top 5 team (coming off a loss at Wofford) the game sold out at 13,100 fans which was the largest crowd in stadium history. The way the home attendance has been this year, Saturday is sure to draw somewhere between 12,000-13,100 with more posted up outside the gates looking in.

Theres a lot of excitement around this game and was one of the games that I circled on the schedule at the beginning of the season. I think it would have to be right up there with the Richmond game and the Wofford game coming up on 10/25 as some of the most important games not only this year but in the short history of Rhodes Stadium (opened in fall of 2001).

OLDMAIN80
September 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
While we're into correcting mistakes, its PHOENIX!!

The actual game itself? I think it will be close, although if we played like we did this weekend, we'll get our butts kicked. I don't see this as the biggest game at Elon in recent memory. I would put last year's ASU and this years Richmond game ahead of this one. I'm hoping for a good, competitive, close game. I think the teams are pretty evenly matched.

I still miss the "FIGHTING CHRISTIANS" dvmn political correctnessxnonono2x

ElonPride
September 29th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Me too....I was in the last graduating class of the Fightin' Christians xnonono2x

gsugt1
September 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I like Elon only because they are playing at home.

furman94
September 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Bumpity Bump! More predictions?

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I predict there will be more balls flying then at a Citadel Frat party.
I still have to go with the Elon win. I should make the trip up as long as I can find gas out of charlotte

elcid96
September 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Elon wins this game and leaves a lot of fans wondering why they lost to Richmond.

citdog
September 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
both of these private school "nancy boys" will stink up the joint but VERMIN will win

OL FU
September 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
both of these private school "nancy boys" will stink up the joint but VERMIN will win

Elon has female band members we can beat up on rightxconfusedx xeyebrowx xwhistlex

citdog
September 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Elon has female band members we can beat up on rightxconfusedx xeyebrowx xwhistlex

they should be busy....making sammich's and carrying chirren

phoenix3
September 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'd say this game and last year's ASU game are about equal in importance regardless of attendance (ASU has a large number of alumni in central NC). A win against ASU last year would've given us the outright congerence championship everything else last year being equal. The big difference between this game and last year's Furman game is that last year FU played the spoiler with nothing on the line this year it's for early conference leadership.

I think this year's conference champion will have at least 1 conference loss if not 2.

ElonPride
September 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'd say this game and last year's ASU game are about equal in importance regardless of attendance (ASU has a large number of alumni in central NC). A win against ASU last year would've given us the outright congerence championship everything else last year being equal. The big difference between this game and last year's Furman game is that last year FU played the spoiler with nothing on the line this year it's for early conference leadership.

I think this year's conference champion will have at least 1 conference loss if not 2.

A win against App, El Cid or Furman would've given Elon the outright champsionship.

elonpuckhog
September 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM
An interesting note to the game which has nothing to do with the game: Both teams have the same fight song. No, our band will not play it when Furman scores.

OL FU
September 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
An interesting note to the game which has nothing to do with the game: Both teams have the same fight song. No, our band will not play it when Furman scores.

Our version sounds better than your versionxnodx :p xlolx

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Our version sounds better than your versionxnodx :p xlolx

Our band plays it better

furman94
September 30th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Pshh! Lets hear yours! If I recall, yors is slower, and has different ending notes.

Our Version (2nd Half of the Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQJDues5LU

Cant forget the Victory Song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795ggt8iW84

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Bout the same speed

http://www.elon.edu/e-net/sound/elonfightsong.mov

FUwolfpacker
September 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Elon's is definitely slower, and our version is still better :):p

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
welllll......you can kiss my xazzx xazzx xazzx xazzx xazzx xazzx xazzx xazzx
oh yea ours is better

phoenixphanatic21
September 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I remember the song being just a little bit faster than that. Regardless, ours is clearly better. Bottom line, end of story.

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
That one is from a few years back when the band put all there songs online. That version is a bit slowerthen the one used today

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I noticed this strange coincidence a couple years back listening to FU and Elon play basketball on the radio.

You can have the fightsong if we can have the game, what say?

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
What's a band? xconfusedx xconfusedx (Wofford doesn't have one:( )

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
lol talk to Davidson they seem to have a pretty good relationship with the local HS to do there games. Or some city band when they go to NCAA

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
SC state did it for us against Richmond.

furman94
September 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
How about this: we win the game, you win battle of the same fight song :D!

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
How about we win the game and play "your" fight song ;)

gofurman
September 30th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Elon fans,
I noticed that you have very few Seniors starters on your team -

2 starters on O (Bo Williamson recvr and Tim Applegate FB)...not even one Senior Starter on the OL.

2 on D - Tim Harper at DE and Corey Weaver at LB.

4 Senior Starters Total ?

***So my question is this - Did you all lose many to graduation last year ? If so who/ at what position?
***Or is everyone a Lembo prospect and he is starting anew and bringing them up as young ones through his system?

(Boy, your O could be scary next year returning 9 players including Riddle / Hudgins and the whole O line)

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I dont know the exact number but we lost verry little last year. Next year Williamson and Applegate will hurt but lembos done a good job of getting replacements. Most everyone is a lembo prospect. He did a lot of spring cleaning when he came to town, starting with the old coach's son the QB

ngineer
September 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I like Furman in this. I see them being more balanced. It should be close, though and I won't at all be surprised if Lembo pulls some trickery as he used to do at Lehigh, to steal a win. But all things being equal, I say Furman 31 Elon 27.

BULLDOG8180
September 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Furman will win by 2 tds, unless Bobby goes for "2".

Elon is overrated.....

phoenixphanatic21
October 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Elon fans,

2 starters on O (Bo Williamson recvr and Tim Applegate FB)...not even one Senior Starter on the OL.

***So my question is this - Did you all lose many to graduation last year ? If so who/ at what position?
***Or is everyone a Lembo prospect and he is starting anew and bringing them up as young ones through his system?

(Boy, your O could be scary next year returning 9 players including Riddle / Hudgins and the whole O line)

We lost 7 if I remember correctly. I can't remember everyone sadly. I know we lost Mike Mayers (WR), T.J. Clegg (RB), Charlie Porterfield (C), a safety whose name eludes me at the moment, and a few other people I can't remember.

Also, both our punter and kicker are seniors, so you can add that to your list as well. We are a very young team and talented team and the game Saturday is gonna show just how much we have grown/how much growing we have left to do. All I know is I'm gonna be there right at midfield and I will be disappointed in myself if I still have a voice after the game.

gofurman
October 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM
We lost 7 if I remember correctly. I can't remember everyone sadly. I know we lost Mike Mayers (WR), T.J. Clegg (RB), Charlie Porterfield (C), a safety whose name eludes me at the moment, and a few other people I can't remember.

Also, both our punter and kicker are seniors, so you can add that to your list as well. We are a very young team and talented team and the game Saturday is gonna show just how much we have grown/how much growing we have left to do. All I know is I'm gonna be there right at midfield and I will be disappointed in myself if I still have a voice after the game.

Looks like your punter and kicker are studs .

OL FU
October 1st, 2008, 08:00 AM
I noticed this strange coincidence a couple years back listening to FU and Elon play basketball on the radio.

You can have the fightsong if we can have the game, what say?

Me too, I kept thinking, I hear our fight song which means I should be at the gamexconfusedx xlolx

PhoenixPhan06
October 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM

Irvin Raglin is the player you're thinking of. Hopefully with another successful season and a possible playoff berth, Pete can stir the pot in offseason recruiting and land some solid in-state talent.

Other than espn.com are there any other reliable recruiting sites that would list current prospects or commitments? I've found FCS recruiting sites hard to come by but espn.com seems to have the most current listing of prospects with bios and some with videos.

Go Phoenix!xsmileyclapx

elon77
October 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
What's a band? xconfusedx xconfusedx (Wofford doesn't have one:( )

Maybe you can use Princeton's.xnonox

OL FU
October 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
While our defense has obviously improved and our stats on passing d look good, this is really our first opponent that has a solid passing game ( no offense UD). So while I am optimistic it is cautious as I am curious to see if we can stop your passing game.

Last year was tough on our d and the second half of our game showed that. We had a sizable lead at the end of the first half so maybe we backed off a little but honestly during the second half last year, I cringed every time your QB received the snap.

Here is to our improvements continuing.

CID1990
October 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Furman wins this one by 14.

Decent running stats over PC and GSU do not a running attack make. I think Elon will return to their one-dimensional status in this game and Furman will keep Riddle scrambling.

elon77
October 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM
While our defense has obviously improved and our stats on passing d look good, this is really our first opponent that has a solid passing game ( no offense UD). So while I am optimistic it is cautious as I am curious to see if we can stop your passing game.

Last year was tough on our d and the second half of our game showed that. We had a sizable lead at the end of the first half so maybe we backed off a little but honestly during the second half last year, I cringed every time your QB received the snap.

Here is to our improvements continuing.

Here's to Elon beating the dang purple out of you and they making a statement.:D

OL FU
October 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM
Here's to Elon beating the dang purple out of you and they making a statement.:D

After 100+ years of playing football, ain't no way you beat the purple out of usxwhistlex xsmiley_wix

ElonFirefighter
October 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
After 100+ years of playing football, ain't no way you beat the purple out of usxwhistlex xsmiley_wix

That is true.... But we can beat the purple into you. Black and Blue that is.xasswhipx xspankx xdeadhorsex

gophoenix
October 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Bout the same speed

http://www.elon.edu/e-net/sound/elonfightsong.mov

Sigh,
That's not ours anymore. That's the one recorded from the late 90s under a different directory. It is slower. The current one is really fast but not near as complex in the counter melody.

http://org.elon.edu/music/ensembles/band/marchingband.html
This has the fight song and the alternate fight song in the player on the right pane.

Also curious, since we've been using it since the 1930s; how long has Furman been using it?

gophoenix
October 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Elon fans,

We graduated 8 seniors last year. I think 4 received playing time of any significance. This year we have 6 seniors on the two deep as of 3 weeks ago.

ElonPride
October 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
We graduated 8 seniors last year. I think 4 received playing time of any significance. This year we have 6 seniors on the two deep as of 3 weeks ago.

We returned 18 starters this season.

pete4256
October 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Penalties:
Furman is 74th with 23 penalties, Elon is 54th with 26.
Georgia Southern, btw, leads the nation with 100 penalties, while the next closest team (Texas Southern) still only has 54 penalties. Wow.

Just to clear this up . . . we don't have 100 penalties. That's a typo. It's not even possible to have 100 penalties for 265 yards. That would be 2.65ypp. GSU actually has 30 penalties.

elcid96
October 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
Any idea on ticket sales so far?

ElonFirefighter
October 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM
from what i see 2 full empty sections on furmans side. around 3 on Elons side. My guess is around 8-9,000 at this point. Thisdoent include walk up sales

furman94
October 1st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Us Furmans should travel well to Elon...

furman94
October 1st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Sigh,
That's not ours anymore. That's the one recorded from the late 90s under a different directory. It is slower. The current one is really fast but not near as complex in the counter melody.

http://org.elon.edu/music/ensembles/band/marchingband.html
This has the fight song and the alternate fight song in the player on the right pane.

Also curious, since we've been using it since the 1930s; how long has Furman been using it?

About around the same time, if I recall correctly. We also used the Victory song somewhere in there too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795ggt8iW84

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM

GO FIGHTIN' CHRISTIANS !!!!!!!!

furman94
October 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Im lovin the logo!

appstate38
October 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Even though the home team should be favored I believe Furman will be the favored team. With that said I am picking the slight underdog Elon Phoenix to defend their house and put the rest of the SoCon on notice.

42-31 Elon over Furman

ElonFirefighter
October 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
i was never a fighting christian but i myself love that logo. we have him on the back of one of the fire trucks at elon. butfor some reason the fire department wont put thephoenix on the back of a new truck. Isit just me or would a flaiming phoenix look cool on the back of a fire truck

PhoenixPhan06
October 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Even though the home team should be favored I believe Furman will be the favored team. With that said I am picking the slight underdog Elon Phoenix to defend their house and put the rest of the SoCon on notice.

42-31 Elon over Furman

Right there with ya, and I think that App State will put the injury concerns to bed and win on Saturday by atleast 7 xtwocentsx

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM

42-31 Elon over Furman

Wait. The #7 team playing at home against the #15 team is the underdog?

elon77
October 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Wait. The #7 team playing at home against the #15 team is the underdog?

By everyone's predictions that's what it looks like to me. Everyone thinks Elon is over rated, but they have come along way in a little over 3 years. Hamilton left them in pretty bad shape and the way Pete has turn the program around is pretty amazing. The Fightin Christians will take another step in gaining respect this weekend when they defeat the Purple Paladins.xpeacex I was and always will be a Fightin' Christian.:D

ElonPride
October 2nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
By everyone's predictions that's what it looks like to me. Everyone thinks Elon is over rated, but they have come along way in a little over 3 years. Hamilton left them in pretty bad shape and the way Pete has turn the program around is pretty amazing. The Fightin Christians will take another step in gaining respect this weekend when they defeat the Purple Paladins.xpeacex I was and always will be a Fightin' Christian.:D

The funny thing is, we had a highly recruited QB that seagraves brought in, Hamilton put him at TE, then Lembo came in a moved him bakc to QB. THey guy then went on to throw all kinds of records after moving BACK to QB (Pope). And to think, Hamilton benched him to play his own son xnonox

PhoenixPhan06
October 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
The funny thing is, we had a highly recruited QB that seagraves brought in, Hamilton put him at TE, then Lembo came in a moved him bakc to QB. THey guy then went on to throw all kinds of records after moving BACK to QB (Pope). And to think, Hamilton benched him to play his own son xnonox

I think its safe to say that the right man is coaching our football team. FINALLY!! Its nice to look forward to a game because you're expected to win or have a good shot at winning instead of looking forward to who you'll see in the tailgating beforehand. Some of you may remember a guy by the name of Chad Nkang, one of the greatest LB in school history. His freshman year, still under Hamilton, he was a FB. It was truly amazing what he was able to accomplish in three years at the LB position. Lembo seems to have a better grasp on the players that he recruits and so far has gotten the most out of their potential.

Looking forward to another great game at Rhodes Stadium and hopefully win #5 xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM

It just struck me as a little odd. Elon was actually in the conversation about possible conference champs in the preseason. Only Furman fans seemed to realize how good the Paladins were going to be (and we still have a lot left to prove). We were picked to finish 6th in the conference (right in front of UTC, Samford, and Western) and weren't even in the top 25 for a couple of weeks. Now, all of the sudden, we are favorites?

This looks to be a very evenly matched game. Furman is better on defense than it was a season ago when these two teams matched. Elon seems to be more balanced on both sides of the ball than in 2007. It has the makings of what could very a photo finish.

All that said, there's still a long season to be played. The winner of this game will clear one substantial hurdle on their way to playing for the conference title.

note: we may still finish 6th. Still a lot of games left to win/lose

CID1990
October 2nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
It just struck me as a little odd. Elon was actually in the conversation about possible conference champs in the preseason. Only Furman fans and a couple El Cid fans seemed to realize how good the Paladins were going to be (and we still have a lot left to prove). We were picked to finish 6th in the conference (right in front of UTC, Samford, and Western) and weren't even in the top 25 for a couple of weeks. Now, all of the sudden, we are favorites?

This looks to be a very evenly matched game. Furman is better on defense than it was a season ago when these two teams matched. Elon seems to be more balanced on both sides of the ball than in 2007. It has the makings of what could very a photo finish.

All that said, there's still a long season to be played. The winner of this game will clear one substantial hurdle on their way to playing for the conference title.

note: we may still finish 6th. Still a lot of games left to win/lose

Fixed it for ya.

GaSouthern
October 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
GO BIG 3!

FU over Elon
Delta 17 points