PDA

View Full Version : Worst loss of the I-AA season on 10/29

TypicalTribe
November 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Not sure how many people saw this, but Savannah State reached a new low on Saturday with a 28-27 homecoming loss to Central State (OH). For those of you who aren't familiar, Central is a DII school that won NAIA national championships in '90, '92 and '95, but the program was suspended for two years for using ineligible players. This was the last game of their first football season since 1996. The win allowed them to finish 1-5.

Central State's previous games:

@ Lincoln University (MO) L, 10-0 (Capital City Freedom Classic)
Lincoln lost to Central Missouri State 83-0 the next week.

St. Paul's College (VA) L, 20-6 (Dayton Classic)
St. Paul's is a DII school that lost to Cheyney the following week

@ Kentucky State University L, 28-0 (Toyota Heritage Classic)

@ Tiffin University L, 31-0
NAIA school

Glenville State College (WV) L, 50-20 (HOMECOMING)

So, that sets the scene of just how weak a team Central State was heading into the Savannah State game.

In the game, SSU quickly jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Unfortunately, that's when the trouble started. After a couple of Central scores sandwiched around an SSU TD, Savannah State threw a goal-line interception to end the first half.

Savannah State rebounded to begin the 2nd half with an 80 yard TD drive, but the extra point was blocked. SSU would not score again. Central State returned the ensuing kickoff 41 yards, then followed an incompletion with a 38 yard TD pass to make 27-20. Central then missed the XP.

The teams traded punts for the remainder of the 3rd quarter and most of the 4th until Savannah had a chance to run out the clock. With Central out of timeouts and facing 3rd and 2, SSU fumbled at their own 34 to turn the ball over with well under two minutes to play.

On the following snap, a face mask penalty on SSU moved Central to the 15. Savannah State then picked off a pass on the next play, but was called for pass interference and Central was given the ball at the 2. From there, it took Central 2 plays to punch it in with 21 seconds left to make it 27-26.

However, given that it was the final game of the season for the them, Central's coach decides to roll the dice and go for 2! Of course, Central goes gets it to win 28-27!

It's hard to believe, given the final score, that Savannah State outgained Central 570 to 260 and ran 90 plays to Central's 52. Also, SSU managed to go 13-22 on 3rd down conversions while chewing up over 33 minutes in time of possession. Unfortunately, SSU committed 5 turnovers, including coughing up 4 fumbles.

If they couldn't win this game, which was their first of the year decided by less than 18 points, when will they ever win?

griz37
November 2nd, 2005, 11:40 AM
If they couldn't win this game, which was their first of the year decided by less than 18 points, when will they ever win?

Maybe they can schedule Prarie View? Didn't Savanah St.'s hoops team go winless last year also? On the plus side on a rerun of the Cosby show this morning Cliff was wearing a Sav. St. sweatshirt! :D

89Hen
November 2nd, 2005, 11:43 AM
28-27 homecoming loss to Central State (OH).

L, 10-0
L, 20-6
L, 28-0
L, 31-0
L, 50-20
So you're saying that Savannah allowing more points to Central then their previous five opponents combined is a bad thing? :eek: :(

TypicalTribe
November 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
So you're saying that Savannah allowing more points to Central then their previous five opponents combined is a bad thing? :eek: :(

It's beyond pathetic.

ButlerGSU
November 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Maybe they can schedule Prarie View? Didn't Savanah St.'s hoops team go winless last year also? On the plus side on a rerun of the Cosby show this morning Cliff was wearing a Sav. St. sweatshirt! :D

Yep, SSU's bball team lost every game last year. Looks like their football team is going to do the same this year...

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
It's beyond pathetic.

And that's the team Hampton is hanging their hat on for an argument for a seeded position in the playoffs....Wow--we beat Savannah State! Look at us!

Happy Penguin
November 2nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
I'll add NAIA Saint Francis whipping Indiana State 42-10 to the mix.

Hamptongal
November 2nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
And that's the team Hampton is hanging their hat on for an argument for a seeded position in the playoffs....Wow--we beat Savannah State! Look at us!
Yep that's it, our big ole pirate hat is hung on Savannah State. Let's look at everybody's schedule and point out an absolutely terrible team because I think just about everybody has one.
It took Furman triple overtime to beat the Citadel.
UNH has Iona.
Montana played Ft Lewis and is going to play Northern Arizona.
Crapola teams. I could go on but you get the point. Why do you think hampton plays them so late? Because they are such a weak team and they know it will have little affect on their schedule but it is contracted right now.

Hamptongal
November 2nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Wow! Maybe learn a little I-AA please? The common denominator of the scholarship I-AA teams you mentioned? They would all crush Sav St. No smack but there are better teams to point out. The Citadel and Northern Arizona are not "crapola" teams.
You have a different opinion, show me why they are good teams. CRAPOLA :eek: :D

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Northern Arizona would be a perennial powerhouse in the MEAC.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 2nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
And remember everyone, an overtime win against Savannah State is indicative of a better performance than a 3-point loss to Navy.

ASU Kep
November 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
Man I hope Hampton ends up with some 8-3 A-10 or SOCON team in the playoffs. Perhaps the results of that game will finally illustrate how relative things are to your SOS. Not saying Hampton is horrible, but Sav. St. is the laughing stock of the entire I-AA community. The Citadel doesn't have a terrific record, but a lot of that has to do with their scheduling. BTW, Why doesn't SSU downgrade to Div. II or something? Is the slight increase in publicity really worth THIS?

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Yep that's it, our big ole pirate hat is hung on Savannah State. Let's look at everybody's schedule and point out an absolutely terrible team because I think just about everybody has one.
It took Furman triple overtime to beat the Citadel.
UNH has Iona.
Montana played Ft Lewis and is going to play Northern Arizona.
Crapola teams. I could go on but you get the point. Why do you think hampton plays them so late? Because they are such a weak team and they know it will have little affect on their schedule but it is contracted right now.

The problem with your logic is that in the BSC, NAU is crapola this year. In Hampton's conference, they'd go 11-0 EVERY year. You play an entire schedule of Savannah States, then bitch because you get no respect. :bang: :bang: I COULD go on and on as well, citing your entire 2005 schedule, but you DON'T get the point. I find it hard to believe that almost every I-AA school in a major I-AA conference always manages to schedule at least one I-A school, and usually a top tier I-AA OOC school as well (see Montana's schedule, for example, with Oregon and Cal Poly)-- Hampton does NEITHER (and claims EVERYONE is afraid of them), and wonders why they get no respect. 11-0 doesn't mean squat when you're playing St Mary's Sisters of the Blind every week. You guys should figure that out and stop sounding like Rodney Dangerfield.

ASU Kep
November 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
ASU 2005 OOC:

1-A's: Kansas + BCS #6 LSU :anim_chai

1-AA: CCU (listening to their fans beforehand, it sounded like these guys were gonna be better than LSU :rolleyes: ), Eastern Kentucky (no pushover here).

This is what people talk about when they say "yah, your undefeated team isn't as good as these guys with 2-3 losses."

ASU Kep
November 2nd, 2005, 05:08 PM
And you know, we also have Furman and GSU in our CONFERENCE schedule...

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2005, 10:23 PM
You guys are missing something..... someone has to play Savannah St in football.... they have to play games whether against the good (Hampton) or bad of us (Elon).

Who do you want to play them? Someone has to.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
You guys are missing something..... someone has to play Savannah St in football.... they have to play games whether against the good (Hampton) or bad of us (Elon).

Who do you want to play them? Someone has to.

It's one thing to play Savannah State, but when the entire schedule is weak (albeit, not as weak as Savannah State...), there's no room to argue. Until Hampton starts scheduling the big boys (and quit using the excuse that everyone's afraid to play them (oooohhhhhh :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )), they'll continue to get very little respect DESPITE the perfect record.

In all honesty, I'd have rather seen the Griz play SS than Ft Lewis...at least it's a I-AA game...although I'm not sure that Ft Lewis wouldn't beat SS...

gram4life
November 3rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
It's one thing to play Savannah State, but when the entire schedule is weak (albeit, not as weak as Savannah State...), there's no room to argue. Until Hampton starts scheduling the big boys (and quit using the excuse that everyone's afraid to play them (oooohhhhhh :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )), they'll continue to get very little respect DESPITE the perfect record.

Just asking but where are all these post with Hampton claiming that everyone is afriad to play them?

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=TypicalTribe]Not sure how many people saw this, but Savannah State reached a new low on Saturday with a 28-27 homecoming loss to Central State (OH). For those of you who aren't familiar, Central is a DII school that won NAIA national championships in '90, '92 and '95, but the program was suspended for two years for using ineligible players. This was the last game of their first football season since 1996. The win allowed them to finish 1-5.QUOTE]

Quick lets line up the Packers and Texans to play Savanah St mayby Favre and Carr can get some wins. :S well mayby not lol

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
Just asking but where are all these post with Hampton claiming that everyone is afriad to play them?

Look up just about every post by Shellshock that's not involving race. His other topic is how everyone's running scared from the pirate ship. :rolleyes: Sometimes he combines the two topics... :eek:

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=TypicalTribe]Not sure how many people saw this, but Savannah State reached a new low on Saturday with a 28-27 homecoming loss to Central State (OH). For those of you who aren't familiar, Central is a DII school that won NAIA national championships in '90, '92 and '95, but the program was suspended for two years for using ineligible players. This was the last game of their first football season since 1996. The win allowed them to finish 1-5.QUOTE]

Quick lets line up the Packers and Texans to play Savanah St mayby Favre and Carr can get some wins. :S well mayby not lol

LMFAO!!!! I'm thinking NOT!!! Packers and Texans officially suck---rght up there with the pathetic Cardinals. :nod:

FlyBoy8
November 4th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Hampton proved last year vs. William & Mary that they're no joke. Like I said before, if they get a favorable matchup, things could happen.

Though they don't have Mathis this year. Hamptongal - I didn't watch last year's playoff game but from what I heard, the score might not have been so close except for Mr. Mathis. Who are your speed guys this year and are they comparable at all? How does this year's team compare to last year's?

And AZGrizFan, NAU wouldn't be undefeated in the MEAC. Come on. :rolleyes:

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Hampton proved last year vs. William & Mary that they're no joke. Like I said before, if they get a favorable matchup, things could happen.

Though they don't have Mathis this year. Hamptongal - I didn't watch last year's playoff game but from what I heard, the score might not have been so close except for Mr. Mathis. Who are your speed guys this year and are they comparable at all? How does this year's team compare to last year's?

And AZGrizFan, NAU wouldn't be undefeated in the MEAC. Come on. :rolleyes:

My only point being: Crapola is a relative term. :nod: Playing Hampton's schedule they'd be perennial title contenders. Personally, I'd love nothing more than for Hampton to make the playoffs (a given, when they win out) and step up and beat SOMEbody to bolster their claim that it ain't the same old MEAC. Until that happens, I guess you guys ARE Rodney Dangerfield... :deadhorse :deadhorse

TypicalTribe
November 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
My only point being: Crapola is a relative term. :nod: Playing Hampton's schedule they'd be perennial title contenders. Personally, I'd love nothing more than for Hampton to make the playoffs (a given, when they win out) and step up and beat SOMEbody to bolster their claim that it ain't the same old MEAC. Until that happens, I guess you guys ARE Rodney Dangerfield... :deadhorse :deadhorse

This is one of the reasons that I'm hoping Hampton does get seeded. If the selection committee helps them out and they win, then they can gain some credibility and these arguments can stop. However, if they lose, then they will lose all credibility and these arguments can stop. Either way, we all win.

# 1 BearBooster
November 4th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Shellshock: Please be cool. You're embarassing the rest of us in the MEAC with your obsessive race talk and base conduct. Face it the MEAC sucks right now. Hopefully, the conference will improve and be on a equal competitive level with the A-10, SoCon, Great West and Gateway in the not too distant future.

I am pulling for Hampton in the playoffs. Not so much that Hampton has anything to prove. I believe Hampton has a good football team and a first class head coach. If Hampton plays sound football everything will take care of itself.

# 1 BearBooster
November 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Shellshock: Look I am here to discuss NCAA I-AA Football. Your diatribe proved my point about your obssession with race.

Again, I wish Hampton the best of luck in the playoffs.

gram4life
November 4th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Shellshock: Please be cool. You're embarassing the rest of us in the MEAC with your obsessive race talk and base conduct. Face it the MEAC sucks right now. Hopefully, the conference will improve and be on a equal competitive level with the A-10, SoCon, Great West and Gateway in the not too distant future.

I am pulling for Hampton in the playoffs. Not so much that Hampton has anything to prove. I believe Hampton has a good football team and a first class head coach. If Hampton plays sound football everything will take care of itself.

Hmmm # 1 BearBooster from these posts where did shellshock make race an issue? What about the person who brought it up.

I hope the part about embarassing the MEAC and Hampton was a joke, because I don't think anyone on here would be embarass as a group because one poster made derogatory comments about a person or group of people.

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2005, 02:45 PM
You know, you are the reason there is a saying that "Ignorance is bliss.". You are one stupid, happy SOB!

God, Shellshock, you are SO easy. And predictable. See? Sucks to be baited, doesn't it...Now go ahead and deny that you don't somehow turn every thread into a race issue...I need my good laugh for the day. :rolleyes:

And save your snappy, insult-filled comback about who started this one...I know it was me.

PMB4Life
November 4th, 2005, 05:47 PM
yeeeeesh. This thread turned UUUUUUUGLEEE.