PDA

View Full Version : An innocent question for Elon fans

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I just want to ask about your offense. Shouldn't it be scoring a little bit more? The only game you've scored more than 30 points was the PC blowout. You seem to be putting up good yardage but your not scoring as much. This isn't smack it's just curiosity.

ElonPride
September 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I was saying that exact same thing to GP last night.

500+ offensive yards against GSU should equal at least 42 points.

450+ against Samford should equal 35 points.

I'm just glad we have a good FG kicker!!!! Andrew Wilcox leads the nation averaging more than 2 FGs per game.

th0m
September 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Having a good kicker is a good commodity. Of course, you'd rather you don't have to use him altogether.

Millwoch
September 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM
That can be explained by red zone ineffiency or turnovers. I know that El Cid had 500+ yards O and only scored 34...but had 3 TO and kicked several FG inside the 20...

Uncle Buck
September 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
As long as you finish with more points than the other team, who cares how much you win by. I'll take a season of 1 point wins and a NC that week to week blowouts only to lose in round one.

Yes it's nice to score more, but 4-1 (2-0) isn't such a bad thing. Also, that game at SBU was a monsoon to play in. Other than Richmond, i think you guys are doing fine. So you had a small hiccup against Samford, it happens, but you won.

Oh, and if it is redzone inconsistency, i'm sure the HC will get that worked out. McCarty is a good OC and i'm sure he'll have you on track soon enough.

youwouldno
September 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
What has Elon really done? Winning @ GSU isn't the achievement it used to be (though I think Hatcher will turn it around fairly quickly). Elon was killed by a Richmond team that was overrated too, doing nothing against a horrible UVA team and losing at Villanova already.

I like Elon and it's good for Furman that the Phoenix are ranked so high, but that ranking is a result of pre-season expectations and I am very skeptical they can hold onto it.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Elon, I think, is a team that is more likely to score from 50 yards out than from 10 yards out. Harder to spread the field out in the redzone because the defense is in closer quarters.

I don't necessarily buy the "how many yards of offense equals a certain number of points" argument. An offense either scores, or it doesn't. App State in 2006 put 28 points on Furman during a stretch where they gained only 80 yards. Yards gained and point scored is a meaningless comparison.

elon77
September 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM
If people will notice the stats, Elon is running the ball more this year than last year with good results. That holds their scoring down but also gives the defense more time to catch their breath. When you score in 90 seconds the defense hardly gets a break. Also with their number two receiver out teams are doubling up on Hudgins. Once they get the number two receiver back and their number 1 tailback returns I believe the offense will score a few more points. The next two weeks will tell alot.