PDA

View Full Version : FCS Pay checks

UNHFan
September 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hey if any of you know.... can you respond with what your FCS Team was paid to play an FBS School?

I saw a few on the Net that Montana got $ 650K Makes sense But I doubt UNH go anything close to that for the Army game.

Would love to hear what you guys know

Husky Alum
September 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
There was a website that listed this a while back.

NU got $350K from Syracuse and $175K from Ball State.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
You can get a lot of those here...keep in mind travel makes the check go higher. UNH doesn't have to go too far to play a lot of FBS schools, Army included...

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/results/index.php?BRSR=0&info=ncaapayouts&conference=&school=&payout=&income=&school_link=&sort=payout&desc=desc&sortBy=ORDER+BY+payout+desc

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
There was a website that listed this a while back.

NU got $350K from Syracuse and $175K from Ball State.

That's a nice pay day considering that it is a bus trip to boot!!! That would be a good one for UNH too, but I'm sure the UNH AD's phone isn't ringing off the hook! :D

Screamin_Eagle174
Hey if any of you know.... can you respond with what your FCS Team was paid to play an FBS School?

I saw a few on the Net that Montana got $ 650K Makes sense But I doubt UNH go anything close to that for the Army game.

Montana didn't play up, only down.

UNHFan
Wow TexasTerror thanks so much for that site lots of info thanks again

Husky Alum
September 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM
You can get a lot of those here...keep in mind travel makes the check go higher. UNH doesn't have to go too far to play a lot of FBS schools, Army included...

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/results/index.php?BRSR=0&info=ncaapayouts&conference=&school=&payout=&income=&school_link=&sort=payout&desc=desc&sortBy=ORDER+BY+payout+desc

Travel is sometimes included in the gross payment - depends on the school. Some schools comp hotels and meals as well. Travel is often included in hoops games because the travel party is much smaller. I know Arkansas paid some SLC school to play them last year, send their chartered plane the night before the game, then chartered the team back right after the game.

I know NU's didn't include travel. The travel to Ball State was heavily subsidized by fundraising from Friends of NU Football.

Syracuse was a nice payment for a bus trip. The game against the Beagles next year is also a nice payday (probably in the $225-250K range) because we will do nothing different than we would for a normal home game, except take the bus a smidge further down Beacon Street.

We play the "other" Huskies in 2010 - not sure of the payment there, but I'd guess between what we got from Ball State and the Beagles.

JmuSkinsfan
September 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
JMU got 150K to play Duke. That was a bus trip too. Not too shabby

catamount man
September 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
WCU got around $400k from Florida State, I believe.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AppAlum
September 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Jeez, App got 750K to go down to Baton Rouge, that's crazy.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Here are the FBS schools within a bus ride from Durham:

University of Chestnut Hill -- we play them in 2014.
UConVict Sled Dogs -- the day they schedule an upper echelon CAA team will be the first!
Syracuse -- UNH's four game winning streak against FBS probably precludes any invitation in the near future.
Army -- UNH 28-10, don't expect another invite soon.
Rutgers -- UNH 35-24, don't expect another invite soon.

The next "zone" outward from Durham:

Buffalo -- Don't think the MAC wants to schedule UNH right now.
Temple -- see Buffalo
Pitt -- We're playing them in 2010.
Navy -- In line behind Delaware and other CAA South schools. Not sure it happens.
Maryland -- Behind the CAA South teams again?
Virginia -- see Maryland
Penn State -- to date, UNH has not been interested in playing perennial Top 25 type programs.
West Virginia -- see Penn State

Not as many as you think TT and definitely not that many real potential games in that group either. And unfortunately, UNH really needs the FBS pay checks! And like I said, with the four game winning streak against FBS schools, potential games are becoming few and far between. It will be interesting to see if UNH has to step up and play those top 25 type programs. I wish we had the gate revenue that would allow some home and home series with inter-sectional FCS opponents in lieu of FBS games.

poly51
September 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
The report is Cal Poly is getting 500K to play Wisconsin.

I have heard they got about 200K to play San Diego State.

th0m
September 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Lol ASU got more $ from LSU than did Tulane.

And UNHAlum, I remember JMU at UNH in 2006...over 13k in attendance. You guys have been the top dogs (or cats so to speak) in the CAA North for the last few years...what gives?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
And UNHAlum, I remember JMU at UNH in 2006...over 13k in attendance. You guys have been the top dogs (or cats so to speak) in the CAA North for the last few years...what gives?

Don't forget that our stadium capacity is listed at 6,500. I think with the bleachers they've added in the East End Zone for the students actually put our capacity at 7,500.

The 2006 JMU game was our Homecoming, UNH was undefeated, David Ball had just broke Jerry Rice's record and the Dukes were very highly rated. Add in that tickets are needed to enter the tailgating area that allows alcohol. We had 11K for Homecoming last year against Iona! We had 10-11K for the last UMass game.

I truly feel that there is a ceiling for what attendance can be expected. Most people don't want to stand for the entire game at some poor viewing location (on the track on the corners of the field), on the hill in the NW corner or way up on top of the home side grandstand. The better the opposing team is, the bigger the occasion (Homecoming) or the bigger the rival (UMass), then the more GA tickets get sold. For that JMU game in 2006, 5.5K people ended up having really crappy views of the game. But I truly feel in each example I gave, the attendance would have been even greater if there had been more seats in the stands and bleachers.

Back in the mid 70's when UNH had three very successful teams and had season ending games with UMass twice to decide who got the D-II AQ, UNH set an attendance record of 20K when Cowell held 13.5-14K. The school is larger today and the southern part of the state has a larger population. Add in a team that has been more successful nationally, then I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have had higher attendance if we had more seats!

Don't get me wrong, UNH has been at or over capacity the past few years. The football experience is so much more robust in Durham today than five years ago. And each year has seen one if not two games with absolutely hideous weather that occasionally even kept me away!

UNH is doing about as best as can be expected but the revenue stream generated by a 7.5K stadium is significantly less than a 10K, 15K or 22K stadium. And while I'm not privy to all the economics, common sense tells me it doesn't generate the revenue to schedule too many home and homes with teams from the South, Southwest or Midwest, forget about the Far West .

GOKATS
September 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
The Bobcats received $350,000 from Kansas St. and $300,000 from Minnesota this year. Next year they'll get $650,000 from Mich. St.

FCS Go!
September 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Montana didn't play up, only down.

Montana's $650k was from Iowa in 2006.

Maroon&White
September 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
You guys have been the top dogs (or cats so to speak) in the CAA North for the last few years...what gives?

They have?

Jiggs
September 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Samford got $375,000 from Ole Miss.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Lol ASU got more $ from LSU than did Tulane.

Tulane has a home-and-home with LSU. Tulane makes plenty of money off the gate when they host the Tigers in the Superdome. Different arrangement then a guarantee date...

TheValleyRaider
September 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
According to the site, TCU gave SFA $225,000 to come up for the game

Apparently the Frogs made it all back (and then some) with yesterday's slightly less successful trip to Norman

umassfan
September 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM
They have?

I guess second place is top dog or cat as he may say lol

BgJag
September 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Jeez, App got 750K to go down to Baton Rouge, that's crazy.

92-93k fans, just a drop in the bucket for an extra home game..

th0m
September 29th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Don't forget that our stadium capacity is listed at 6,500. I think with the bleachers they've added in the East End Zone for the students actually put our capacity at 7,500.

The 2006 JMU game was our Homecoming, UNH was undefeated, David Ball had just broke Jerry Rice's record and the Dukes were very highly rated. Add in that tickets are needed to enter the tailgating area that allows alcohol. We had 11K for Homecoming last year against Iona! We had 10-11K for the last UMass game.

I truly feel that there is a ceiling for what attendance can be expected. Most people don't want to stand for the entire game at some poor viewing location (on the track on the corners of the field), on the hill in the NW corner or way up on top of the home side grandstand. The better the opposing team is, the bigger the occasion (Homecoming) or the bigger the rival (UMass), then the more GA tickets get sold. For that JMU game in 2006, 5.5K people ended up having really crappy views of the game. But I truly feel in each example I gave, the attendance would have been even greater if there had been more seats in the stands and bleachers.

Back in the mid 70's when UNH had three very successful teams and had season ending games with UMass twice to decide who got the D-II AQ, UNH set an attendance record of 20K when Cowell held 13.5-14K. The school is larger today and the southern part of the state has a larger population. Add in a team that has been more successful nationally, then I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have had higher attendance if we had more seats!

Don't get me wrong, UNH has been at or over capacity the past few years. The football experience is so much more robust in Durham today than five years ago. And each year has seen one if not two games with absolutely hideous weather that occasionally even kept me away!

UNH is doing about as best as can be expected but the revenue stream generated by a 7.5K stadium is significantly less than a 10K, 15K or 22K stadium. And while I'm not privy to all the economics, common sense tells me it doesn't generate the revenue to schedule too many home and homes with teams from the South, Southwest or Midwest, forget about the Far West .

Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know any of that, nor that your stadium only held 7.5k. I hope you can get some inexpensive expansion going on soon so you can work towards those bigger crowds in the past.

th0m
September 29th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I guess second place is top dog or cat as he may say lol

Yeah you guys are some weird colonial folk walking around with a BB gun, no dog or cat xlolx

appfan2008
September 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
ASU I believe got more for their trip to LSU than any other FCS team got this year...

OLDMAIN80
September 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I read that Wofford received 220k for the trip South Carolina. At $35 a ticket and 85k plus seats, not much of a payout.

UNHWILDCATS05
September 29th, 2008, 08:21 AM

UNH did not get a paycheck from Army... instead, Army gave them a block of tickets and they were allowed to keep the money from whatever they sold...

appfan2008
September 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
UNH did not get a paycheck from Army... instead, Army gave them a block of tickets and they were allowed to keep whatever the money from whatever they sold...

that is an interesting way to do things... I wonder how well UNH did selling those tickets???

th0m
September 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I read that Wofford received 220k for the trip South Carolina. At $35 a ticket and 85k plus seats, not much of a payout.

Don't forget concessions, parking etc. All these FBS schools are getting FCS schools for bargains.

EdubAlum
September 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
it was montana STATE that played Mn this year.

EWU got 450k each for Texas Tech and Colorado.