PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch Northeastern-UC Davis on CSN ?

Tim James
September 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
They interviewed some guy at halftime. I dont know if he was the AD or not. I was listening to see if he said anything about a new football stadium and he didnt. Anyone see this game and interview ?

JackTwice
September 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I saw part of it. He seemed like the AD. He talked about upgrading scholarships, adding coaches and improving facilities. I don't think he mentioned a new stadium directly but did mention upgrades to some facility with cage in the name. If that helps.

Gully
September 27th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Impressive win against a UC Davis squad that nearly won at Montana last week.....although, Montana is down to a DII school at the half.

putter
September 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM
No offense to NorthEastern but that was not the same team that played in Montana last week. Their QB Denham was completing everything, even when he has to scramble around. Today he was throwing INT's on screen passes while not even looking to see where his receivers was. A good win for NorthEastern..

Husky Alum
September 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I was at the game. I'm soaked to the bone, but it's good to get a win.

UCDavis' quarterback played pretty poorly today. He looked confused - and our defense isn't that good.

The man that was interviewed was likely our AD, Peter Roby. The facility he talked about renovating was the Cabot Cage - an indoor track facility that's used for conditioning for our indoor and outdoor track teams as well as our baseball team for pre-season. They're tearing up the old floor and putting field turf in. Doesn't really impact football or basketball at all.

If we're adding scholarships, it's news to me. I sat on the committee that was put together to address "the football question" and I thought additional scholarships were off the table as long as we had football.

We have received additional funding for coaches for women's hockey and women's soccer, and a smidge more for men's hockey and hoops, I believe.

I doubt we'll be getting a new stadium any time soon. I've heard rumors about a couple of alternatives to Parsons, but nothing that I think has much merit.

Kudos to Davis for bringing a portion of their band and a ton of fans.

89Hen
September 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Surprised this game didn't get much notice. This was UCD's worst loss of the season and that includes games with San Jose State and Montana. Cross country trip + bad weather may have something to do with it... so may playing at Parsons (a place where many good CAA teams struggle, including UD). Good with for NU and the CAA. xthumbsupx

JackTwice
September 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
One question for Northeastern fans. What was the attendance for the game. The TV camera made it look like there was no more than 1000 in attendance, at least for the time I watched the game.

89Hen
September 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The TV camera made it look like there was no more than 1000 in attendance, at least for the time I watched the game.
If it was raining, that wouldn't be an optical illusion. xsmhx

RabidRabbit
September 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Surprised this game didn't get much notice. This was UCD's worst loss of the season and that includes games with San Jose State and Montana. Cross country trip + bad weather may have something to do with it... so may playing at Parsons (a place where many good CAA teams struggle, including UD). Good with for NU and the CAA. xthumbsupx

I had picked NU to get the "upset" of UC-Davis. There have been too many "surprise NU wins" at NU to ignor.

Ronbo
September 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ask any Big Sky fan what happens to teams after they get sky high and play their guts out at Washington Grizzly stadium. They have a huge letdown the next week. We have been watching this phenomenon for years.

Husky Alum
September 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
If it was raining, that wouldn't be an optical illusion. xsmhx

It was Parsons Field, it wasn't an optical illusion.

Attendance was announced at 1137. I'd say half of the fans were from UCD. They also brought a piece of their band.

JackTwice
September 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Is that attendance fairly typical of Northeastern? How about the NE teams in general. I would love for my Jackrabbits to play some teams out there, as I would have an excuse to travel out and visit some family and catch a game.

Husky Alum
September 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Is that attendance fairly typical of Northeastern? How about the NE teams in general. I would love for my Jackrabbits to play some teams out there, as I would have an excuse to travel out and visit some family and catch a game.

If it isn't homecoming, we don't draw well for football. I'd say we average about 2,000 for a non-homecoming game, and homecoming is usually 5-6,000. There are some exceptions. UMass (if the weather is good) will draw 3-4,000.

If we play UNH or Maine in late October or November and we play them in hockey that night (as we do this year at Maine for hockey), there will be a better crowd, as it's effectively a double header.

Athletics in general, if it's not played on ice, we typically don't draw well.

We'll sell out 1/3 to 1/2 of our hockey games this year.

UMass draws better - better team, more captive audience.

Holy Cross draws better - better tradition, more loyal alumni.

The Ivies draw better because they're the Ivies - Dartmouth draws the worst, but I tihnk they still average 4-5K.

UNH and Maine draw better - better teams, more captive audience.

URI has traditionally drawn in the same range as NU.