PDA

View Full Version : Liberty, Falwell Look to Lou Holtz

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2005, 07:26 AM
$7.4 million deficit for Liberty Flames...ouch!

-------
LU will seek Holtz's advice on football

By Ron Brown and Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
November 2, 2005

Lou Holtz is no stranger to college football success.

The retired head coach has led four different programs to top 20 finishes, including Notre Dame and South Carolina. With Holtz scheduled to speak at Liberty University's convocation service Nov. 16, LU chancellor the Rev. Jerry Falwell is ready to turn to Holtz for advice on how to right the school's floundering football program.

Holtz has not expressed interest in becoming the school's head football coach, Falwell said. Nor will Falwell comment on the future of current head coach Ken Karcher, who is 21-44 in six years at LU. The Flames, who are off this Saturday, are 1-8 this year with the only win coming against Division II Concord. LU is in danger of tying the school record for consecutive losses, a mark it will reach if it loses at Charleston Southern Nov. 12.

http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767894085&path=!sports

Tribe4SF
November 2nd, 2005, 07:38 AM
Holtz and Falwell in the same room?? :eek:

The ego surge will have people gasping for air!!

Cocky
November 2nd, 2005, 07:50 AM
Maybe Tommy Tubberville can come help also.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
Karcher signed a five-year contract extension in December 2004, but embarrassing losses to [I-A] Connecticut, [nationally-ranked] Youngstown State and [nationally-ranked] William & Mary put the Flames' fan base in an uproar. LU was outscored 157-0 in that three-week span.

And I thought Lehigh fans were tough! Anyone in I-AA (and even some in I-A) would have a problem with this murderer's row of opponents.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM
Falwell declined to comment specifically on his evaluation of the current LU football team.

"Our commitment is to go to Division I in the next 10 years," he said. "I am going to be asking for coach Holtz's guidance on how we can get there. When I have someone as brilliant as him, I'm going to pick his brain."

"I have pressure on me," Falwell said in an interview last month. "Only football can make the big money. People don't come to watch football. They come to watch you win. Until you win, they don't come."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Someone as "brilliant" as Mr. Holtz should tell this dope he's already in Divison I. Of course, if ol' Jerry thinks football will be making Liberty "big money", then he's out of his mind already. (wait a second...) :D

blukeys
November 2nd, 2005, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=People don't come to watch football. They come to watch you win. Until you win, they don't come."[/QUOTE]

Falwell has that part right.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 2nd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Speaking as a Liberty dropout, I'm just surprised Falwell's going to let that still-rank-with-the-stench-of-catholicism heathen on his righteous Suth'run Babtist campus!

Tribefan
November 2nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Maybe Liberty should try to schedule Coastal Carolina 5-6 times next year. They might end up with a .500 record :D

Ivytalk
November 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Speaking as a Liberty dropout, I'm just surprised Falwell's going to let that still-rank-with-the-stench-of-catholicism heathen on his righteous Suth'run Babtist campus!

Maybe Holtz's intermediate stop at South Carolina will "bleach" the Notre Dame out of him! :p If Lou gives this a second look, he's nuts.

Coastal89
November 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Maybe Holtz's intermediate stop at South Carolina will "bleach" the Notre Dame out of him! :p If Lou gives this a second look, he's nuts.
Lou Holtz will advise him to run the QB draw every other play but no less than 35 times a game. Atleast that's what he did at SC. And when you get to the red zone use the wing T.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Holtz, good choice. Now Class, can anyone spell P-R-O-B-A-T-I-O-N :D

Sly Fox
November 2nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Guys, he was allegedly seriously being talked to about coming to Liberty a year ago when our current coach's original contract came up. The rumor was that he was going to coach us for a season before turning the reins over to his son Skip. Then Skip got the ECU gig and we wound up giving an ill-advised 5-year contract extension to our coach.

No one on campus seriously believes he is coming out of retirement to coach the Flames. But he is apparently going to play somewhat of an advisory role as we try to fix what is currently broken.

Don't be shocked if we don't pull in a big name coach here shortly. We did hire Sam Rutigliano back when we were a competitive I-AA school prior to his retirement.

As for the Division I remark, I think that was copyedited by our local fishwrap. The editor there doesn't consider I-AA really Division I. He requires all stories to reflect his ill-conceived ideas.

wheredoitype - Holtz has never been a Catholic ... but he gladly took their jack. Athletics does indeed make for some strange bedfellows.

tribefan - That was funny.

Coastal89 - With Zach, we probably should be doing those QB draws right now.

IaaScribe
November 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
And I thought Lehigh fans were tough! Anyone in I-AA (and even some in I-A) would have a problem with this murderer's row of opponents.

The uproar was over the 157-0, not necessarily the three losses. If they had lost say 95-50 in those three, it would have been a lot different.

catamount man
November 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
wheredoitype - Holtz has never been a Catholic ... but he gladly took their jack. Athletics does indeed make for some strange bedfellows.

Lou and Beth Holtz were members of St.Joseph's Catholic Church in Columbia when he was South Carolina's head football coach, so yes, he is Catholic. My priest was an associate pastor at that church for a short spell back in 2000-01 and he told me he used to see Lou and Beth all the time at 7am Mass on Sundays. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Sly Fox
November 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
That's interesting because if my memory was correct, much was made of him being a Baptist when he was hired at Notre Dame. But frankly, it doesn't make that much difference. Cathlics & Baptists certainly have their differences, but they are on the same team ultimately.

DB_Atlantic10
November 2nd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Lou Holtz will advise him to run the QB draw every other play but no less than 35 times a game. Atleast that's what he did at SC. And when you get to the red zone use the wing T.

:lmao:

IaaScribe
November 2nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Sly, that quote wasn't edited. That's what Jerry said.

tribe ol
November 2nd, 2005, 04:49 PM
Scribe,
I enjoy your work in the News & Advance - keep up the good work!!!
By the way, I have noticed that you use the same nomenclature as Jerry when referencing Division I-A (i.e. "Division I")...implying that I-AA is not Division I football. Is this intentional?

IaaScribe
November 2nd, 2005, 05:08 PM
Appreciate it, Tribe.

It's something I need to talk with my boss about. He isn't a fan of saying I-A. But when you say Rutgers is Division I, and you say Liberty is playing two Division I teams in 2006, then it's implying that the rest of LU's schedule isn't Division I.

I think he feels all of the hyphens muck up the copy, but it does lend to some confusion.

I'll work with him on it. :)

tribe ol
November 2nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Scribe,

Thanks for your response. I meant it when I said that you are doing a fine job, but I must say that the position your boss has taken is ridiculous. His policy chooses accuracy over convenience, which I would think (hope) would be a no-no in your profession. I will not bother to go into the fact that William & Mary, Richmond, VMI and other I-AA teams have vastly longer & prouder football histories than countless of the I-A pretenders that the media treats like royalty. There are a hell of a lot (and a lot more than your editor may realize) of readers out there that want accurate coverage and respect for their teams, but it sounds as though your boss may have been drinking the BCS kool-aid for too long to understand the historical significance of these programs and the level of interest in your community.

Oh well, I am wasting my time I suspect. I hope you continue to do a good job becasue I do enjoy your work. As a life-long N&A subscriber, it has been sorely needed for years (and I don't even care about Liberty).

Sly Fox
November 2nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
tribe ol - I agree wholeheartedly on the terrific job scribe has done since coming to the N&A.

As for Jerry's misstep, he usually doesn't make those types of errors. But no one's perfect (insert your Falwell guffaws here).

TigerFan17
November 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Scribe,

Thanks for your response. I meant it when I said that you are doing a fine job, but I must say that the position your boss has taken is ridiculous. His policy chooses accuracy over convenience, which I would think (hope) would be a no-no in your profession. I will not bother to go into the fact that William & Mary, Richmond, VMI and other I-AA teams have vastly longer & prouder football histories than countless of the I-A pretenders that the media treats like royalty. There are a hell of a lot (and a lot more than your editor may realize) of readers out there that want accurate coverage and respect for their teams, but it sounds as though your boss may have been drinking the BCS kool-aid for too long to understand the historical significance of these programs and the level of interest in your community.

Oh well, I am wasting my time I suspect. I hope you continue to do a good job becasue I do enjoy your work. As a life-long N&A subscriber, it has been sorely needed for years (and I don't even care about Liberty).

Don't forget about your Harvards, Yales, Princetons, etc. Now THATS some historical stuff.

catamount man
November 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM
That's interesting because if my memory was correct, much was made of him being a Baptist when he was hired at Notre Dame. But frankly, it doesn't make that much difference. Cathlics & Baptists certainly have their differences, but they are on the same team ultimately.

Amen brother! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

(p/s, you left out the "O" in CathOlics) ;)

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 3rd, 2005, 12:23 AM
Cathlics & Baptists certainly have their differences, but they are on the same team ultimately.

BURN THE APOSTATE

Tribe4SF
November 3rd, 2005, 05:45 AM
Lou may indeed have the key for Liberty to succeed in I-A football. The primer would be titled "Faith Without Ethics".

Once the plan is developed, they would hire Marjoe Gortner as recruiting coordinator.

I'm not a Jerry Falwell fan, but the Liberty faithful deserve better than Lou Holtz as a mentor.