PDA

View Full Version : YSU at SIU

FlyYtown
November 1st, 2005, 09:31 PM
I am still very upset about our QB switch vs. UNI that was stupid and uncalled for; but as a team; we must FORGET about it like we did after the PIT game vs. ISU.

Our starting two running backs; which aren't 1-2 on the depth chart are doubtful so you will see a HEAVY dose of Juniors Josh Cayson and Justin Reams; who are 1-2 on the Depth Chart.

YSU should get back to a passing attack like they did vs. UNI on the lone scoring drive.

If we for one second play like we did on offense like we did last week we won't win.

Too much at stake; YSU is still very good...
YSU 24
SIU 21
I just think YSU will fix the passing kinks and hopefully the D can hold ANOTHER Team to under 21 points; and this team is the best in the I-AA in offense...

Go Penguins... .Get the Enthusiasm back where it belongs!

siugrad99
November 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM
I was wondering when the YSU fans would decide to come back after their "L" on Saturday. I wonder how long they will stay away if they leave Carbondale with another "L". I warned you all early in the season not to be running your mouth about how great you were and how you'd be 7-1 going into the SIU game, but nope you guys didn't listen and now this week pretty much makes or breaks your chance at a Gateway title in 05. SIU is still vulnerable, but as Coach Kill stated "This team will not peak to early" as we have the previous 2 seasons. It's gut check time for the Penguins and we will see who the cream of the crop is in the Gateway sometime around 6 pm Saturday.

TopsInDaVille
November 1st, 2005, 10:19 PM
Whoa, boys. Let's not go forgetting about the Hilltoppers just yet. If we TCOB Saturday against the Panthers, I like our chances to win the outright title no matter who wins the SIU-Youngstown game. I think the Salukis are toast when they head to Cedar Falls next week.

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2005, 10:43 PM
I am still very upset about our QB switch vs. UNI that was stupid and uncalled for; but as a team; we must FORGET about it like we did after the PIT game vs. ISU.

Our starting two running backs; which aren't 1-2 on the depth chart are doubtful so you will see a HEAVY dose of Juniors Josh Cayson and Justin Reams; who are 1-2 on the Depth Chart.

YSU should get back to a passing attack like they did vs. UNI on the lone scoring drive.

If we for one second play like we did on offense like we did last week we won't win.

YSU 24
SIU 21
I just think YSU will fix the passing kinks and hopefully the D can hold ANOTHER Team to under 21 points; and this team is the best in the I-AA in offense...

I'll be surprised if you hold SIU to 21. No one else has. Their lowest totsl this year is 28 against IA Western Michigan. SIU leads the nation (IAA) at 42.5 points/game. They average over 440 yds/game. It is fairly balanced with about 200 yds rushing and 240 yds passing per game. That makes it hard to key on either aspect. Arkee Whitlock ran all over WKU last week (207 yds and 3 TDs). WKU has the best rushing D in the conference. You might win a shootout against the Dawgs, but don't count on your D to do all the work.

youwouldno
November 1st, 2005, 10:46 PM
Best offense in I-AA? Err, no. Not even close.

siugrad99
November 1st, 2005, 10:52 PM
Statistically yes best offense in 1AA, while they don't lie Saluki fans are smart enough to know we aren't the best, but we are very powerful. I believe you are a MSU fan if i'm correct as your name looks familar. Please do us all a favor and don't hide behind a username, if you make a comment be intelligent enough to back it up with an opinion or some fact, otherwise well you look foolish. As for WKU, they must take care of business and win out to win the conference outright. If they play like they did against SIU then that will not be the case. SIU has to take care of business at home and then go to UNI and play our best game, otherwise we will go into the NDSU game needing a victory for a shot at an at large berth into the playoffs. It is a brutal schedule down the stretch, but if we hold court it should only better prepare us for the post season, which everyone knows from the past 2 seasons has been a major disappointment in Carbondale. I'm not making any predictions as I picked WKU last week by 18 and was proven wrong so I will just let the teams do the talking on the field Saturday.

Chi Panther
November 2nd, 2005, 01:20 AM
Best offense in I-AA? Err, no. Not even close.

Not best offense....but they do have a RB in Whitlock that when given the ball 25 times will definately make stuff happen.....hence 40+ points.....

Chi Panther
November 2nd, 2005, 01:21 AM

YSU 24
SIU 21

I'll be surprised if YSU wins in Carbondale. Should be a great game and very close.

ysubigred
November 2nd, 2005, 08:26 AM
My heart tells me YSU 31-24

After hearing the press conference, injury report, YSUs stellar proformance/coaching SNAFU and SIU's proformance against WKU last week my brain keeps thinking;

SIU 35-14

Happy Penguin
November 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
I'm with you YBR. Without our top 2 RB's and possibly our starting QB I'm wondering if we have the horses to run with SIU.

Let's hope we discovered a way to pick up a yard on 3rd and 4th down this week.

CUSaluki
November 2nd, 2005, 09:39 AM
Sounds like we are catching YSU at the right time. Their injured, we're at home and starting to come together. SIU 35 YSU 21.

Paladin1aa
November 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
This should be a good one. One of the GFC's best Os vs one of its best Ds. For the smart mouths on here, we told everyone that we should be 7-1 after 8 and thats exactly where we were.

However, the last games will be a dogfight for everyone. SIU has proved that they can't stop anyone on D. YSU is giving up few points to anyone. SIU has relied on outscoring the opposition, not stopping them.

They won't stop YSU. The question is-- will one of the GFC's best Ds stop SIU ??

YSU 28...........SIU 27

Reed Rothchild
November 2nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
They won't stop YSU. The question is-- will one of the GFC's best Ds stop SIU ??

YSU 28...........SIU 27
They couldn't stop UNI. I doubt they can stop the best in the league.

YSU 14
SIU 45

wkuhillhound
November 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
As a WKU fan I am hoping for a YSU victory. If WKU defeats UNI on Saturday then it will only be a two race for the Gateway title.

GoGuins
November 2nd, 2005, 12:22 PM
I'm going to get slammed by fellow YSU posters but I can't see YSU coming out of Carbondale with a win. YSU is without it's 2 best TB's and the coach doesn't know how to play his QB's. JH, I'm sorry to say, your days are numbered.

SIU 31
YSU 21

skinny_uncle
November 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
My predictions for Saturday.
Salukis win.
Whitlock goes over 1000 yard mark (rushing) for the year.
Penguin fans very quiet Saturday night.

:D

siugrad99
November 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Your right our Defense couldn't stop anyone, until they went against WKU who averaged 36 points a game and we held them to 20 (7 of which came in the last 4 minutes with SIU in a prevent type defense). Not saying we have fixed our problems because that remains to be seen, but the WKU game was a step in the right direction. We will see come Saturday who is the contender and who is the pretender of the group. I've got my thoughts, but i'll reserve them until Saturday evening :)

nmatsen
November 2nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Go Saluki's!

If SIU wins this weekend and we win out, its over! We will put a 12th notch on the title belt! Go Dogs! See you on the 12th!

FlyYtown
November 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Zetts will play.. That is for sure; trust me I just got off the phone with someone up at Stambaugh; he may not start but he will play.

Secondly Mason and Gibson; statistically are our 1-2 tailbacks; but our 1 and 2 tailbacks on our depth chart are Justin Reams and Josh Cayson; you will see a heavy load of each of them and from what I have seen when they play; they are just as good as Mason.

Third I SAID WE'D START 7-1; And that we did. I never said 10-1 like siugrad99 accuses me of; I think 8-3 or 9-2 is still very possible.... I know we got this one but I like our chances at home vs WKU; not jumping ahead.

Good Luck Saluki's.. Don't take us lightly like you did ISU.

YSUinsider
November 2nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
I'm with you YBR. Without our top 2 RB's and possibly our starting QB I'm wondering if we have the horses to run with SIU.

Let's hope we discovered a way to pick up a yard on 3rd and 4th down this week.

I think as for as running backs go, we will have our pick. They are making great progress in pratice. Who knows we might have our top two guys back.

FlyYtown
November 2nd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Folks.. We have 5; count them 5; running backs who could start on any Gateway Team at anytime..

GIBSON--U of Kentucky Transfer
MASON--U of Illinois Transfer-Most Rush Yards of anyone in Maryland
CAYSON--Led Warren JFK to Playoffs like his successor Tony Elzy
REAMS--Good.. Led us in first couple games
SCOTT--First Team TEXAS 5A.. Top 5 Backs in Texas in 2005..

TOUGHHHHHH

TopsInDaVille
November 2nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Ummm ... "University of Kentucky transfer" does not automatically make you I-AA-worthy. (But, yes, I know Monquantae is pretty good.)

siugrad99
November 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Arkie Whitlock... enough said. Don't think you'll find 1 back in the Gateway who would move him to # 2 on the depth chart including any back on YSU, Ask WKU about him. I believe he is top 5 in the country in all purpose yardage. Face it YSU until you come into Carbondale and knock us off you haven't proven anything to anyone. 7-2 is nice and 4-1 in the Gateway is impressive, but with your loss to UNI and having SIU & WKU ahead we will see just how real you are. If I were YSU I would try to beat SIU through the air as WKU tried it on the ground and well you know how that turned out. Can't wait for the conversation about this came come Saturday.but no need to throw out stats we will let the players do the talking as seems like all YSU fans do is talk. Funny how you all disappeared for 2 days after the crow dinner you had Saturday, i'm expecting more silence come this Saturday around 6pm. I'm sure you all have excuses as to why not 1 thats right not 1 YSU fan posted during or within a few hours after the game. Why is that, because you were all to busy running your mouths about how great you were and how wonderful your D is and how explosive your runningbacks were that you couldn't find type and eat crow at the same time. SIU fans were here right after & during their beating by ILSU, but YSU fans... ghost town.

FlyYtown
November 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Actully I was in Akron-Pittsburgh and a concert this past weekend; so please. I wasn't crying like you claim.

YSU Fans can talk; SIU still has yet to prove anything to me. Sure you beat WKU but you were crushed badly by ISU who we beat; sure that may not matter but your loss was bad. We had our shots vs. UNI but history says; even when Tressel was here; we don't win in domes..

O ya; 2 years agol we finished 5-7 and went into Carbondale; I think you were mmm #1; and into the 4th quarter we held a lead which we blew; we have learned how to hold leads now.... Should be fun..

siugrad99
November 2nd, 2005, 09:00 PM
You have to have a lead to hold it. All will be settled Saturday

nmatsen
November 2nd, 2005, 09:41 PM
Folks.. We have 5; count them 5; running backs who could start on any Gateway Team at anytime..

TOUGHHHHHH

Excuse me, if you would like to talk transfer running backs we have a running back (you might remember him YSU fans, he put up about 150 on you last weekend) that was an all Big 12 freshman for Nebraska and doesn't even start for us. Lets see, would you rather have a Transfer RB from Kentucky, Illinois or Nebraska, hmm thats a tuffy. Reams wouldn't crack our two deap and if Scott was so good he wouldn't be playing at YSU (not a crack on your program just the level 1-AA as a whole.) Just saying you might want to re-think your statement a little bit. None of those 5 start for the Panthers! Maybe in a couple of years if they have any eligibility left.

skinny_uncle
November 2nd, 2005, 10:00 PM
Arkie Whitlock... enough said. Don't think you'll find 1 back in the Gateway who would move him to # 2 on the depth chart including any back on YSU, Ask WKU about him. I believe he is top 5 in the country in all purpose yardage. Face it YSU until you come into Carbondale and knock us off you haven't proven anything to anyone. 7-2 is nice and 4-1 in the Gateway is impressive, but with your loss to UNI and having SIU & WKU ahead we will see just how real you are. If I were YSU I would try to beat SIU through the air as WKU tried it on the ground and well you know how that turned out. Can't wait for the conversation about this came come Saturday.but no need to throw out stats we will let the players do the talking as seems like all YSU fans do is talk. Funny how you all disappeared for 2 days after the crow dinner you had Saturday, i'm expecting more silence come this Saturday around 6pm. I'm sure you all have excuses as to why not 1 thats right not 1 YSU fan posted during or within a few hours after the game. Why is that, because you were all to busy running your mouths about how great you were and how wonderful your D is and how explosive your runningbacks were that you couldn't find type and eat crow at the same time. SIU fans were here right after & during their beating by ILSU, but YSU fans... ghost town.

Actually Arkee is second nationally in all purpose running. If he returned punts(or hadn't missed that game with the injury), he would probably be #1. Craig Turner is doing a nice job on punt returns though, ranking 9th in the nation in that department.
IAA All-Purpose Running (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=5&rpt=IAA_playeraprun&site=org)

Toppermaniac
November 2nd, 2005, 10:46 PM
This should be a good one. One of the GFC's best Os vs one of its best Ds. For the smart mouths on here, we told everyone that we should be 7-1 after 8 and thats exactly where we were.

However, the last games will be a dogfight for everyone. SIU has proved that they can't stop anyone on D. YSU is giving up few points to anyone. SIU has relied on outscoring the opposition, not stopping them.

YSU 28...........SIU 27

Excuse me, but don't you have two losses?

Toppermaniac
November 2nd, 2005, 10:49 PM
Your right our Defense couldn't stop anyone, until they went against WKU who averaged 36 points a game and we held them to 20 (7 of which came in the last 4 minutes with SIU in a prevent type defense). Not saying we have fixed our problems because that remains to be seen, but the WKU game was a step in the right direction. We will see come Saturday who is the contender and who is the pretender of the group. I've got my thoughts, but i'll reserve them until Saturday evening :)

You D did play well against WKU, but since we were without RB Leron Moore, SIU's D could lay back more than normal and focus on stopping the passing game. It worked.

skinny_uncle
November 2nd, 2005, 11:23 PM
He's still trying to forget last week.

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2005, 05:45 AM

I am questioning everyone's memory and education on here. First I was accused of saying we'd finish 10-1 or 9-2 and now this man can't read Paladin's message!

He said we would have 7 WINS AFTER 8 GAMES! He doesn't go into the 9th game at all!

My Lord.. Folks .... LEARN HOW TO READ AND STOP THESE ACCUSATIONS OF US YSU Fans. We have never played good EVER in that damn UNIDOME... We can rebound and we will.

GO PENGUINS!

Paladin1aa
November 3rd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks Fly. I thought we had college grads on here. My bad.

My point was simple. We were correct on evaluating YSU's chances on here predicting the 7-1 record and said so. The trash talkers belittled that. They are the ones who were wrong and didn't know better.

What is clear , is that after 8 games , it is and will be a dogfight. However , you won't hear me backing off of NEXT year. This year , we are actually arriving early. Earlier than expected-- BY THE EXPERTS !! :nod: :nod:

Whats funny is to listen to the SIU posters. The "garbage" of the GFC rises to the top, but can't win play-off games, much less NCs . We put our money where our mouth is. SIU , johnny come lately that they are, best enjoy what little success they have had.

This year isn't over and next year --- :p :p :p

crunifan
November 3rd, 2005, 11:00 AM

TOUGHHHHHH

Not to question their talent, but I'm sure the top teams of the Gateway could beat Kentucky and Illinois. Not exactly the best teams there...

Paladin1aa
November 3rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Update -- both Mason & Gibson are cleared to play vs SIU. :p :p :p

And Zetts will play !! :D

Different outlook now !! :)

nmatsen
November 3rd, 2005, 12:42 PM

Good! Now we won't have to listen to your excuses when you lose!

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM

GOOD... SIU may have been planning to run an offense with Gliatta at QB and Cayson at running back; now 2 days to change.

GO GUINS,..
Surprise The Gateway with a Win; you won't surprise us YSU Fans.

siugrad99
November 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Actually while SIU doesn't have the # of national championships that YSU has we do have 1 and have 2 consecutive GFC titles so "johnny come lately" is better than "where have you been lately" after Tressel and his crockedness left you've been average at best. I would truely love to know how much stuff went on at YSU while he was in power, but that is for another day. We are talking about YSU now not then. I am glad you will have your players as then there will be no excuses Saturday if you lose. Keep running your mouth boys as I didn't realize you liked the taste of Crow so much you'd order it 2 weeks in a row. :) Having your running game ready is better verse SIU anyway as we all know we have issues in the secondary. 7-1 means NOTHING if you can't beat the teams that matter and so far you are 0-1 verse them so my guess is if you don't come out of Carbondale Saturday with a "easy win" as some of your faithful have commmented on at the YSU messageboard, then it might be time to put a sock in it because frankly the rest of the Gateway is sick of hearing you run your mouth.

Paladin1aa
November 3rd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Another Suckie fan heard from . :deadhorse

siugrad99
November 3rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
keep running your mouth

ISUMatt
November 3rd, 2005, 06:29 PM
I like SIU at home If its in Youngstown Id like YSU but its not

siugrad99
November 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks Matt :)

windwalker
November 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Home field.. yep..

SIU 35
YSU 28

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Actually while SIU doesn't have the # of national championships that YSU has we do have 1 and have 2 consecutive GFC titles so "johnny come lately" is better than "where have you been lately" after Tressel and his crockedness left you've been average at best. I would truely love to know how much stuff went on at YSU while he was in power, but that is for another day. We are talking about YSU now not then. I am glad you will have your players as then there will be no excuses Saturday if you lose. Keep running your mouth boys as I didn't realize you liked the taste of Crow so much you'd order it 2 weeks in a row. :) Having your running game ready is better verse SIU anyway as we all know we have issues in the secondary. 7-1 means NOTHING if you can't beat the teams that matter and so far you are 0-1 verse them so my guess is if you don't come out of Carbondale Saturday with a "easy win" as some of your faithful have commmented on at the YSU messageboard, then it might be time to put a sock in it because frankly the rest of the Gateway is sick of hearing you run your mouth.

HERE'S A THOUGHT.... SHUT UP.... YOU'RE THE ONE WHO IS RUNNING THE MOUTH... :mad: .

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Sportsnetwork Prediction.. Gives YSU The Credit it Deserves! Not as major of underdogs as SIUGRAD99 makes it sound..

Again FYI: Even when we were good we never won in the UNIDOME.. Twice we had it 4th and 1 and were held short on drives; its called noise....GEEZEEE.

No. 15 Youngstown State (7-2) at No. 5 Southern Illinois (6-2), 4:00

Southern Illinois looked down at this point a week ago, but the Salukis came out and dominated the second half in a 31-20 win at No. 1 Western Kentucky. Arkee Whitlock ran for 207 yards and three scores against the Hilltoppers, and a young and inexperienced secondary did a good job against the Western Kentucky passing game. A good passing attack might give the Salukis trouble, but Youngstown State won’t easily expose the Salukis through the air. The Penguins have built a 7-2 record with a strong running game and playmaking defense, but still lack the one statement win for the turnaround of the program after losing to UNI a week ago. If the Penguins get that win this week (or in the season finale against Western Kentucky), they’ll be in the playoff field. That’s a very possible task, but it will be easier to pull off next week at home. The Southern Illinois offense found its stride a week ago, and the Penguins can expect to see a heavy dose of Whitlock after struggling against the UNI rushing game a week ago. Southern Illinois also does a pretty good job defending the run, and will force the Penguins to throw the ball more than they’d like to. Southern Illinois will have to avoid a new jinx, as my last three "teams of the week" have fallen in their next game, at home. But that trend has to end soon, and the Salukis should overcome it to place themselves in a pretty good spot to earn a playoff berth and win the Gateway title. Prediction: Southern Illinois 24, Youngstown State 17

Reed Rothchild
November 3rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
keep running your mouth

Keep fighting the good fight, Grad. These guys ran their mouths last week and look where it got them. I can't wait to see YSU not win a game the rest of the year.

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM

:boring:
The Saluki D doesn't care what running backs you throw out there. They will cheerfully tackle anyone you have and are looking forward to it. Senior cornerback Brad Brachear is trying to convince the Saluki coaching staff to let him play even though he has a broken hand. Do you realize how bad these guys want you?
You had better find some offense or the Salukis might blow you off the field.
Looking forward to Saturday.

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
Keep fighting the good fight, Grad. These guys ran their mouths last week and look where it got them. I can't wait to see YSU not win a game the rest of the year.

That game last week said nothing..We played bad due to two blown 4th and 1 where you held us.

Take away that game; now make your prediction for this week.....

Go Penguins

siugrad99
November 3rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
Not looking for a fight just stating fact. The 1 game that YSU has played that there weren't supposed to win in 1AA they didn't plain and simple. SIU went into Western Kentucky and held them 16 points below their scoring average and had our running back run for 207 yards and 3 TD. UNI is a solid team who SIU will most likely fall to next weekend, but bottomline is SIU took their beating by ILSU like men and have improved each week since, this week we will see what YSU is made of. If they lose everyone will call them out for what they are and that is a team that can beat those it is supposed to , but when it plays the teams they aren't they can't get it done. Hate me for saying it, but it's the truth. Until you beat someone your not supposed to noone other than your fans will totally buy into what your selling. Same goes for SIU, until we win our 1st playoff game since our National Championship season noone other than SIU fans will believe in us & to be honest we haven't given anyone any reason to. All I ask is YSU fans be objective about things and for the most part all we read is how great they are, how all their runningbacks could start for any team in the Gateway and how "overrated" and pathetic the Salukis are. We will see come Saturday just how underrated and bad we are, we will see just how wonderful your runningbacks are and in the end we will see who has a shot at winning the Gateway and who doesn't. There is nothing wrong with being a fan, but when your being a fan clouds your ability to give rational and honest opinions about your team then you become whats called a fanatic and that is when people stop listening to you. I call it like i see it and if you don't believe me just read the post about how critical i've been of SIU this season and I have on numerous occasions in the past spoke up to quiet down over zelus Saluki fans running their mouth. I picked SIU to lose to WKU last week 42-24 because I believed they were the better team so if you if you had thoughts of calling me bias please save it for someone who cares. Truth is SIU should win this game Saturday because our offense can outscore others, not because we have a shut down defense because we don't. YSU has taken care of business against those they should beat, we will see if they can beat someone people think they shouldn't. All I hope is that if they don't that AGS doesn't become a Ghost town for 2-3 days after like when you lost to UNI.

siugrad99
November 3rd, 2005, 09:02 PM
Flytown how old are you if I may ask ? & YSU didn't convert those plays BECAUSE UNI stopped you so here's a tissue, whip your tears, quit making excuses and accept that the better team won last saturday. You wonder why people object to your comments and you prove it each time you type. You fail to be objective and see things as they really are. UNI BEAT YSU accept it, don't make excuses.

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Well I will be out of town Sunday and my best friend; a pilot; is considering the flight to Carbondale... So I won't be on here until Monday anyway...

I have tried all I could to watch what I say and I APPLAUDE you on doing the same.

Lets truce.. GOOD LUCK SIU.. I still like YSU in this game.....

siugrad99
November 3rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
Truce it is

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Rothchild

That game last week said nothing..We played bad due to two blown 4th and 1 where you held us.

Take away that game; now make your prediction for this week.....

Go Penguins
It appears to me that he predicted a Saluki win this week. He just didn't predict a score. He basically predicted you would lose the next 2 weeks to a pair of top ten teams. Nothing to be ashamed of. Your Penguins have already had a better year than most people expected. Be proud of them even if they lose.
By the way SIUGRAD, fan is a short form for fanatic.
Peace, everybody.
:beerchug:

Killsback
November 4th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Salukis 34
Youngstown State 17

Team truly coming together at the right time and they are at home.

nmatsen
November 4th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Sportsnetwork Prediction.. Gives YSU The Credit it Deserves! Not as major of underdogs as SIUGRAD99 makes it sound..

Again FYI: Even when we were good we never won in the UNIDOME.. Twice we had it 4th and 1 and were held short on drives; its called noise....GEEZEEE.

Southern Illinois knows all about the UNI-Dome noise, they were a part of the greatest UNI dome crowd in nearly a century a couple of years ago, you could not hear yourself think. I have never seen anything like it in my life. If UNI and SIU take care of business this weekend it could happen again, hopefully we won't spot SIU 21 this time to have to come back from. That is all I will say looking "past" WKU, no matter who is missing or hurt, they are the team we have to beat.

ysubigred
November 4th, 2005, 10:24 AM
UNI is a solid team who SIU will most likely fall to next weekend, but bottomline is SIU took their beating by ILSU like men and have improved each week since, this week we will see what YSU is made of. If they lose everyone will call them out for what they are and that is a team that can beat those it is supposed to , but when it plays the teams they aren't they can't get it done. Hate me for saying it, but it's the truth. Until you beat someone your not supposed to noone other than your fans will totally buy into what your selling.

I agree with you grad. YSU has accomplished nothing yet. My expectations was 6-5 and firing the caoch. YSU can do no worse than 7-4 (above my expectations). The win I did not count on was WIU.

Home field advantage is over blown in GFC play. The UNI dome is the only place I consider a Homer! Even the ICE CASTLE has become a welcome place to play since the decline of the YSU fan base.

Bottom line; I'll root for YSU to win out. If not? oh well maybe next year.

GoGuins
November 4th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I agree with you grad. YSU has accomplished nothing yet. My expectations was 6-5 and firing the caoch. YSU can do no worse than 7-4 (above my expectations). The win I did not count on was WIU.

Home field advantage is over blown in GFC play. The UNI dome is the only place I consider a Homer! Even the ICE CASTLE has become a welcome place to play since the decline of the YSU fan base.

Bottom line; I'll root for YSU to win out. If not? oh well maybe next year.

I'm with you Red, it's nice YSU is fighting for a playoff spot and possible GFC title this late in the year but we have to be realistic. YSU is a better team overall this year but we will see the next 2 weeks if we are for real and deserving of national attention. UNI just flat out outplayed YSU last week and deserved to win. I get tired of hearing excuses from YSU fans about how Mason went out with a concussion, Q didn't make the trip, Zetts didn't play well, YSU never plays well in the UNIDome, blah, blah, blah. Point is, UNI backs ran all over our D and we couldn't stop them therefore they won. If the D plays like that again against SIU, YSU will get beat again. Simple as that. I predicted at the beginning of the season no better than 7-4 and no playoffs. I still see that happening unfortunately, I hope they prove me wrong. Bottom line is YSU has beaten only one team with a winning record so far (Ill St) and for me to start believing in this team more have to beat SIU or WKU to end the season. They do that and they're in.

ysubigred
November 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Well GO, I don't blame YSU's "D" completely. They could have done better at UNI. BUT the "O" can't get it done against strong teams. Actually if not for YSU's "D" stepping up YSU would be 5-4 and just playing meaningless games at this point. I think YSU's offense is the problem :bang: Oh I forgot; I would love to see the Guins hold SIU to 21. I just hope the "O" can score 22 :shakingma

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Ah, guys, put the blame were it belongs -- HicCup.

The D is improved and one of the GFC best. The O is old fashion YSU blue collar. HicCup pulled Zetts. I'm with Go -- we have lots of capable backs. You always want your best out there, but injuries are part of the game. However, when you are short handed and pulled your hot-handed QB, you kill your momentum ( happened). You place the D in bad field position. Yet they held up well, even with UNI success on the zone play. Down 7 only.

Holding UNI to a 7 point lead until late 4th qtr is exactly were we needed to be. But bone head coaching cost YSU a chance.

Plain & simple.

ysubigred
November 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Ah, guys, put the blame were it belongs -- HicCup.

The D is improved and one of the GFC best. The O is old fashion YSU blue collar. HicCup pulled Zetts. I'm with Go -- we have lots of capable backs. You always want your best out there, but injuries are part of the game. However, when you are short handed and pulled your hot-handed QB, you kill your momentum ( happened). You place the D in bad field position. Yet they held up well, even with UNI success on the zone play. Down 7 only.

Holding UNI to a 7 point lead until late 4th qtr is exactly were we needed to be. But bone head coaching cost YSU a chance.

Plain & simple.

AH finally a voice of reason :) I agree the coaching decissions against stronger teams are wierd :dizzy:

siugrad99
November 4th, 2005, 06:21 PM
"However, when you are short handed and pulled your hot-handed QB, you kill your momentum "

"But bone head coaching cost YSU a chance."

still here excuses not reason

FlyYtown
November 4th, 2005, 10:22 PM
The drive before Zetts went hot I Wanted Gliatta; but after he nails the passes.. Why take him out..

And again the two 4th and one's not converted killed us. :mad: :mad: :mad:

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Less than 8 hours until kickoff.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM
The drive before Zetts went hot I Wanted Gliatta; but after he nails the passes.. Why take him out..

And again the two 4th and one's not converted killed us. :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.salukitalk.net/st/images/smiles/eusa_boohoo.gif

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Less than 7 hours to kickoff. Time to start getting ready.
http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/beers.jpg

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/beer_research.jpg

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Six hours.

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/bigbr.jpg

igo4uni
November 5th, 2005, 09:13 AM
You're not looking forward to this game, are ya skinny uncle??????????? :p :D :) ;) :) :D :p :) ;) :D

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
November 5th, 2005, 09:14 AM
http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/beer_research.jpg

I'd give him some money just for the honesty.

Looks like his beer on the milk crate is getting dangerously low :eek:

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 10:11 AM
5 hours.
Crowd beginning to look a bit strange.

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/yoda2.jpg

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Maybe an hour and a half until kickoff.
Strange sights in Carbondale this week.
http://www.travelsinparadise.com/australia/kangaroo_island/pictures/penguin-sign.jpg

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I wish good luck to SIU and the Salukis and Coach Kill; you have a great team and you will be facing a great team; we shall see the outcome; may the best team win!!!!

http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~tmhanche/penguin.jpg

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I wish good luck to SIU and the Salukis and Coach Kill; you have a great team and you will be facing a great team; we shall see the outcome; may the best team win!!!!

http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~tmhanche/penguin.jpg
xprost2x

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Southern kicking off.
Windy.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Youngstown scores on opening drive.
7-0

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 03:09 PM
YSU just threw over SIU.. All but 1 pass less than 7 yards..

SIU needs to stop the pass and we must hold the Salukis on D now and get up 14.

I am leaving now but I will be back at 6...
GO PENGUINSSSSS!

Saluki_man
November 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Bad time to put this up, but I was going through some old Trib articles and found this tid bit.

Still, a stain was left on the Illinois athletic department, and it's all because of a booster who provided inducements and extra benefits totaling $2,348 to a former Illini football player.

That player, according to sources, is tailback Marcus Mason, whom coach Ron Zook dismissed from the team in August citing a violation of team rules that included legal trouble.

Mason transferred to Division I-AA Youngstown State, where he rushed for 203 yards Saturday in a victory over Missouri State. Mason declined to comment Thursday through athletic department spokesman Trevor Parks.

The article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-0510280147oct28,1,3525028.story?coll=chi-sportscollege-hed (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-0510280147oct28,1,3525028.story?coll=chi-sportscollege-hed)

I don't know if this is news that has been posted, but I think people should know.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Salukis punt after only one first down.
YSU ball at their 9.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Penguins turn to punt. Salukis will start on their 47.

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Wow....this start surprises me a little....

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Sambursky pass to Jones for a TD!
7-7

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Youngstown forced to punt on their first drive of the second quarter.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Salukis punt.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Penguins with a good punt.
Salukis have to start at their 5.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
My Goodness. The Saluki's Brad Brachear just came up with an INT playing with a broken hand.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Youngstown just took the lead on a 72 yard pass play.
14-7

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 04:12 PM
YSU recovers a fumble.
Got the ball at the 12

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Penguins attempting about a 31 FG attempt.
Made it.
17-7.
Halftime

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 04:35 PM
YSU missed a few opportunities but hearing this YSU Seems to be holding SIU Well and dominating in the sense of attitude.

I am out again.. GO PENGUINS

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Penguins have to punt on first series.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Sambursky to Allen TD
17-14
11:17 of the third.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
FG, tie game
17-17

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 05:13 PM
End of third quarter, still 17-17

Hansel
November 5th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Is there a radio link for the game?

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Is there a radio link for the game?
There is a link on www.siusalukis.com
click where it says Listen Live

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Zetts sacked at the 33 on third down
FG attempt missed

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 05:33 PM
9 yard TD pass Sambursky to Allen
Salukis lead 24-17

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Craig Turner runs back punt 85 yard for a TD!!!!!!!
31-17 Salukis

ISUMatt
November 5th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Looks like its midnight in Youngstown Ohio...HUGE game for them next weekend!!!

GASIUalum
November 5th, 2005, 05:45 PM
:cool:

and that's all i want to post

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Final
31-17 Salukis

rabidsaluki
November 5th, 2005, 05:59 PM
:o Go Southern Go

I'll be nice as well.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Looks like a quiet evening tonight.

Killtoppers90
November 5th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Looks like the Dawgs peaked at the right time of the season again!

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 06:08 PM
According to all you guys that halftime score came off guard and we had what 3-4 drives in the second move in the SIU side but again we can't top them off. They could barely in Youngstown and the road may play a role in that.

I will post as normal though I will be outta town tomorrow.

The Penguins played well and give credit where it is due; SIU Did the job.

Big game at Youngstown next week with still a shot at the playoffs.... Too bad we didn't get the W because that place would be 21,000 next week; I still think it will be big though.

GOOD LUCK SIU and the PENGUINS

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Looks like the Dawgs peaked at the right time of the season again!
Who says we've peaked?

Mountain Panther
November 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Congrats SIU...we got a nail-biter in Bowling Green....

ISUMatt
November 5th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I like SIU at home If its in Youngstown Id like YSU but its not

HEY I WAS RIGHT :p

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Congrats SIU...we got a nail-biter in Bowling Green....

Dang you do; A 70 yard punt return by J. Gray so now its a tie game in the 4th..

UNI 10
WKU 10

YSU needs a WKU loss.... its sto far from done; GOOD LUCK UNI AND WKU!

siugrad99
November 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Oh Paladin where are you :) How does Crow taste ? "This year isn't over " actually son it is :p

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Oh Paladin where are you :) How does Crow taste ? "This year isn't over " actually son it is :p
Not really. If they could find a way to beat the Hilltoppers next week, they might still make the playoffs.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 07:43 PM
playoff chances are really good now with the wku loss.

siugrad99
November 5th, 2005, 07:46 PM
wasn't talkin about their chances, was just talkin about the game between the 2 of us. He loves to talk, shame he can't with a mouth full of crow :)

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Wow!
I just realized the Salukis are alone in first place with a 3-way tie for second,

The YSU-WKU game probably is for a playoff berth.

siugrad99
November 5th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Skinny you have AOL IM ? If soo send me a message i'd love to chat Salukis Sports !

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Skinny you have AOL IM ? If soo send me a message i'd love to chat Salukis Sports !
Sorry, but I don't.
AOL and I had a falling out several years ago. They were my original ISP until they told me I could not use the same password on another site. I thought that it was a bit nosy of them and found another ISP. I do have Yahoo Messenger, but don't use it very often.

siugrad99
November 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM
yeah I don't care for them, but soo many of my friends have it and it is easy to chat with my parents for free and send pics of my son to the grandparents :)

Killsback
November 5th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Salukis 34
Youngstown State 17

Team truly coming together at the right time and they are at home.

I was pretty close now wasn't I Penguin fans.....

ysubigred
November 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Not bad but you blew your own team's prediction :D

ysubigred
November 5th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Just got back from Carbondale and what a game. YSU played their hearts out. SIU was the better team. Just looking at the two teams lined up I noticed that SIU was bigger, faster, and stronger. The second half took it's toll on YSU and being out manned. SIU QB is awesome. Showing that being a 5th year senior has it's advantages in making plays.

Great job Penguins good luck SIU!!

GoGuins
November 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I'm going to get slammed by fellow YSU posters but I can't see YSU coming out of Carbondale with a win. YSU is without it's 2 best TB's and the coach doesn't know how to play his QB's. JH, I'm sorry to say, your days are numbered.

SIU 31
YSU 21

I wasn't too far of either

ysubigred
November 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Not bad but you blew your own team's prediction :D

Ooops I thought you were a WKU fan Killsback sorry :)

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Very close.

shakdaddy3
November 7th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Wow!
I just realized the Salukis are alone in first place with a 3-way tie for second,

The YSU-WKU game probably is for a playoff berth.
It's either for a playoff berth or a playoff ousting... that is if WKU wins and then follows up with a loss to I-A to FIU... with this scenario as well as a UNI loss to SIU, well, that would make ILSU the only team that COULD make the playoffs out of the Gateway besides the autobid Salukis. What a wild and crazy year this has shaped up to be.