PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: How Many Teams Are Playing for Playoffs?

CSN-info
September 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
By Chuck Burton, The CSN Way Columnist
If there was such a thing as “National FCS Game of the week”, it would have been the game in Harrisonburg, Virginia between James Madison and Appalachian State last weekend. It was a game that lived up to billing, with the Dukes outlasting the Mountaineers 35-32 in a game which featured not only the last two schools that were national champions, but perennial playoff participants.

Far away from the bright lights at Harrisonburg, however, there are teams in conferences without autobids that have never made the playoffs.

This year, thanks to a new rule set by the NCAA Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet, one team can look at their schedule and say they have a real definable path to the playoffs for the first time.

But what of the other non-autobid teams, who may find themselves meeting nearly the same criteria?Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-how-many-teams&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder Chuck! Only the NEC is eligible for the bridge AQ. So much has been reported that the Big South was also eligible that I had to go back to the original Cabinet approval:
February 2008 Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet Report

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/championships/2008_February_Report/Cabinet_report.htm

Report of Sports and Sports Issues Committees.

Football Championships Subdivision. Based on a recommendation from the NCAA Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet's Bracket/Format Subcommittee, the cabinet agreed that during the next budget cycle funds should be allocated for a bracket expansion to 20 teams effective with the 2010 championship. (For 29, Against 17) It was noted that the goal of expanding to 20 teams is to address access issues for those conferences that are, or soon will be eligible to receive automatic qualification to the championship. The delay in funding is necessary to allow conferences and institutions to revise their football schedules to accommodate an extended championship.

In addition, the cabinet approved a change in the committee's selection criteria to provide an avenue of access for those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it because of the size of the bracket. Specifically, a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which a conference champion team representing a non-automatic qualification conference meets all of the following conditions:

(1) Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;

(2) Team wins a minimum of two nonconference games against Division I teams representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year; and

(3) Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regular-season media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the committee on an annual basis).

It was noted that the criteria is not intended to be a permanent solution for interested and eligible conferences without automatic qualification. Rather, the criteria should only be used to bridge the time between when such conferences apply for an automatic qualification and the time needed to implement bracket expansion.Albany's got to win at Delaware tomorrow or else... regular ol' at-large chances for everybody but the eight AQ conference champs.

Hey Burton, where's the picks for this week? Yeah, we know you are the best national columnist in getting them right, so give 'em up!

UAalum72
September 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
"The Great Danes ...should they repeat their feat from two years ago and beat powerful Delaware at Tubby Raymond field this weekend they might just be rewarded at the end of the year with an automatic berth in the playoffs...they would seem to be a shoo-in for an autobid should they win out."

Except, of course, for that little detail of "average ranking of at least #16 in the GPI, Sports Network and Coaches polls"

mcveyrl
September 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM
"The Great Danes ...should they repeat their feat from two years ago and beat powerful Delaware at Tubby Raymond field this weekend they might just be rewarded at the end of the year with an automatic berth in the playoffs...they would seem to be a shoo-in for an autobid should they win out."

Except, of course, for that little detail of "average ranking of at least #16 in the GPI, Sports Network and Coaches polls"

I would think that a win over UD gets you in at between 20-23 and then your winning out, plus the big three beating up on each other, gets you up to 16 pretty quickly.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
"Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regular-season media, coaches and/or computer polls"

It's clear the committee wants leeway. Considering Albany plays in the worst GPI conference (now the MAAC is gone) it is not inconceivable that their GPI would not be "16 or higher." Currently the Danes are in the 40's according to the computers which could hurt their average.

mcveyrl
September 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
"Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regular-season media, coaches and/or computer polls"

It's clear the committee wants leeway. Considering Albany plays in the worst GPI conference it is not inconceivable that their GPI would not be "16 or higher." Currently the Danes are in the 40's according to the computers which could hurt their average.

Ouch. Did not realize that...even with a win at Delaware, their NEC schedule won't get them to 16 I don't think.

I still think the media and coaches might get them up to around 16.

UAalum72
September 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I still think the media and coaches might get them up to around 16.
Since they as yet do not have ONE vote in the coaches poll, I wouldn't count on it.

Does it have to be #16 even if ineligible teams (Ivy) are in the top 16?

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Since they as yet do not have ONE vote in the coaches poll, I wouldn't count on it.

Does it have to be #16 even if ineligible teams (Ivy) are in the top 16?The NEC has two votes in the coaches poll, right?

Great question, though the wording doesn't stipulate being ranked 16 or higher among playoff eligible teams.

Strange no Liberty fans have piped up yet in this thread. xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
September 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder Chuck! Only the NEC is eligible for the bridge AQ. So much has been reported that the Big South was also eligible that I had to go back to the original Cabinet approval:Albany's got to win at Delaware tomorrow or else... regular ol' at-large chances for everybody but the eight AQ conference champs.

Hey Burton, where's the picks for this week? Yeah, we know you are the best national columnist in getting them right, so give 'em up!

I do not see how only the NEC is eligible. The way I read this, any qualifying conference, say like the PFL, would be eligible if they met the criteria....

Of course that is why no NEC or PFL team will be ranked in the top 16 in the majority of polls.... No NEC team in the playoffs until 2010, regardless of what happens on Saturday.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I do not see how only the NEC is eligible. The way I read this, any qualifying conference, say like the PFL, would be eligible if they met the criteria.....and the criteria is..... I can see the smoke coming out of your ears already.......

"for interested and eligible conferences without automatic qualification. Rather, the criteria should only be used to bridge the time between when such conferences apply for an automatic qualification..."

Okay, I've cued it up for you DF...... have at it! xlolx

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM
and the criteria is..... I can see the smoke coming out of your ears already.......

"for interested and eligible conferences without automatic qualification. Rather, the criteria should only be used to bridge the time between when such conferences apply for an automatic qualification..."

Okay, I've cued it up for you DF...... have at it! xlolx

xthumbsupx

I-AA Fan
September 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM
umm gee ... How about Furman v Delaware? Historically speaking, Furman is a more regular post-season contender and two teams who consistently contend for their conference crowns. UNI vs SDSU = most-likely the two top programs in this year's top conference. Just a couple to think about.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
CHUCKLES - picks for Week #5 - are up at last!

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-how-many-teams&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Tealblood
September 26th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Liberty and Gardner-Webb from the Big South are listed as if the Big South were eligible they would have a chance. I think CCU would also be eligible

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
CHUCKLES - picks for Week #5 - are up at last!

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-how-many-teams&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1I see:

Banana Spiders 18, “Hike it to Aaron” 15
Mickey’s Men (Not Mice) 28, Man-Eating Killing Machines Lose To #1, then #2… Not Nice 13
Angry Apps 72, Pummeled Hose 13
Ursa Majors 28, Not Exactly Cattus Minors 20
Cold Cowboys 77, No Knight’s Tales 0
Big Sandbaggers 29, Green Keggers 10
Feelin’ Phoenix 49, Auburned Bulldogs 13
Eminent Eagles 44, Bungled Bengals 21
Golden Ikes 62, Purple Spikes 36
Bulldog Bullies 47, Cowed Catamounts 10
Golden Wires 31, Hatching Eagles 23
Score Less Than We Turn It Over.. We Promise 9
Slugging Vikings 20, Slugged Hens 17
Remember the Jackrabbits 55, Wasn’t Custer a Lumberjack? 7
NOW Will You Put Us In Your Top 25? 34, Blue Panther Fans 23
Heffalumps 34, Baby Rattlers 28
Penguins Get Better As the Weather Gets Colder 28, Flames Get Weaker as the Weather Gets Colder 21
Man-Eating Killing Machines 25, Crimson Crimson 20
O.B. – Original Bulldogs 31, O.G. – Original (Chewing) Gum 21
The X-Men 35, The J-Men 21
Faleo-riffic Aggies 29, Orio-iffic Huskies 20
Winton Marsalis 31, Aubrey Meadows 17
Fictional Cats 30, Boiled Peanuts 17
Trujillo’s Toreros 44, Ostermann’s Osteopaths 14
Jaguar Nation 32, Brave Braves 12

Game of the Week
Northern Iowa xx, Southern Illinois xx

xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Liberty and Gardner-Webb from the Big South are listed as if the Big South were eligible they would have a chance. I think CCU would also be eligiblexnodx
CCU (2-2)
1 AQ league win
1 AQ league team left to play out of 8 games.

Can get 2 AQ league wins
Can get 8 D-I wins
????????? maybe #16 or better ranking

xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Liberty and Gardner-Webb from the Big South are listed as if the Big South were eligible they would have a chance. I think CCU would also be eligible
"Finally, Coastal Carolina (1-2) would also qualify for a guaranteed automatic bid in this hypothetical scenario as well, based on their win over Towson of the CAA last weekend (31-3) and if they win over North Carolina A&T of the MEAC this weekend.""xthumbsupx

Tealblood
September 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I didn't see that last line before

Tealblood
September 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
for us it is pretty simple this year auto-bid or at-large if we win out--and yes I know that is a ton of football--we can get in we would have 10 wins against FCS 1 loss colgate in an unbeleivable way and 1 loss to a solid FBS

Tealblood
September 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM
and yeah we got thumped pretty good by Penn St 66-10 but now that PSU is 4-0 with all of their games equally as lopsided---losing to them does not seem so painful

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
for us it is pretty simple this year auto-bid or at-large if we win out...No AQ for the Big South until 2010. If you win out then you have an at-large shot.

Tealblood
September 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
No AQ for the Big South until 2010. If you win out then you have a shot.

agreed that is what I was saying with an Auto or not we would need to win them all to be in the top 16

and if we win out we should get a bid

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM
#14 Wofford at #24 Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern at 2-2 fits that “home team, back against the wall” look which I look to immediately as a red flag. But I don’t like the fact that for three straight weeks quarterback Antonio Henton has played nailbiter games, losing one – and facing powerful Wofford this week, coming off a hard-fought 23-13 loss to FBS South Carolina. I think the Wofford defense – which is quietly becoming a fearsome unit led by linebacker Seth Goldwire – has too much against a Eagle team that is still, as head coach Andrew Hatch says, rebuilding.
Golden Wires 31, Hatching Eagles 23hmmmmmmmmm...

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-how-many-teams&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

UNIFanSince1983
September 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Since 2003, either the Panthers or Salukis have won the Gateway (now MVFC) title

This is a fallacy. Youngstown won the championship in 2006. Either way I like how he predicted UNI to win!