PDA

View Full Version : STUCK WITH ASU FOR A LITTLE WHILE LONGER!!

clintc
September 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/college_football/story/214995.html

Good article about the pro's and con's for converting to FBS.xnonox

Let the UNCC's and Marshalls go ahead. But I am happy with building a quality football team year in and year out that has a CHANCE to PLAY for National Championship not just a "No Name" Bowl in Boise.

From Today's Charlotte Observer xrulesx

james_lawfirm
September 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, that is a good article. It states all of the concerns that I can think of for ASU in the FBS world. The infrastructure concerns should not be minimized. Having 80k descend on Boone right now for a football game should send tremors through numerous public agencies. (Just ask security what they think of a game on Halloween this year.) Also, I feel comfortable knowing that Charlie Cobb is at the forefront of the decision to move or stay. I am sure he will do what is best for Appalachian.

Personally, I vote to stay in the FCS world.

Appaholic
September 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Good article......and please, no App, don't do it......love FCS and the playoff format......

Rekdiver
September 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yep just what I said. Ther are other things that we could spend money on too.

Now its time to get our basketball to the dance. I'm tired of being "Northern Div Champion" and going nowhere. Also our soccer program which was nationally ranked in the 80's has been mired in mediocracy for years.....

Charlie Cobb has a good grasp on reality and I trust his judgement.

ASUMountaineer
September 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I agree, no I-A not now. In fact, I'm pretty much against it unless we can either get into a BCS conference or MAYBE to a conference with at least some natrual rivalries (i.e. CUSA--East Carolina, Marshall).

james_lawfirm
September 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Yep just what I said. Ther are other things that we could spend money on too.

Now its time to get our basketball to the dance. I'm tired of being "Northern Div Champion" and going nowhere. Also our soccer program which was nationally ranked in the 80's has been mired in mediocracy for years.....

Charlie Cobb has a good grasp on reality and I trust his judgement.

Yep, I agree in general. However, don't count on becoming a soccer dynasty to mirror our team in the '80s. That was when I was a student. The soccer team benefited from having Thompson Usyann (sp?), a Nigerian who wanted specifically to come to ASU. He was an UNBELIEVABLE player at a time when no American could actually play the game. He played a number of years professionally. He also set an NCAA record of goals per game avg. (2+?) that will never, ever be approached, much less beaten, today (because the overall level of play has greatly improved.)

At the same time, I have no problem with spending/recruiting to improve our soccer teams and basketball teams (and others) before any move to FBS.

appfan2008
September 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
great article (I am proud of myself for reading all of it) I am glad that he doesnt want to move us up... I like where we are as well...

BeauFoster
September 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Yep, I agree in general. However, don't count on becoming a soccer dynasty to mirror our team in the '80s. That was when I was a student. The soccer team benefited from having Thompson Usyann (sp?), a Nigerian who wanted specifically to come to ASU. He was an UNBELIEVABLE player at a time when no American could actually play the game. He played a number of years professionally. He also set an NCAA record of goals per game avg. (2+?) that will never, ever be approached, much less beaten, today (because the overall level of play has greatly improved.)

At the same time, I have no problem with spending/recruiting to improve our soccer teams and basketball teams (and others) before any move to FBS.

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I do keep up with the kicking Apps some. I believe that the new coach is going to take the program places. Witness the 1-0 loss to national #1, and defending national champion, Wake Forest this week. With a large number of freshmen on the field, ASU gave Wake a more competitive game than anyone else so far. In 2 or 3 years, we could really make a lot of noise.

Baseball is seeing a significant upswing, too. Pollard is a heck of a coach, and with some pitching help, could have ASU back in the Regionals of the CWS soon.

Basketball...I don't know where to begin.

ASU should examine all the options available when the time comes. If everything is right, move up. Otherwise, continue to position the university to be ready to capitalize on the right opportunity.

Mountaineer
September 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Of course Cobb is going to say a decision is 2 or 3 years away. That's about the length of time left in the moratorium. However, I find it hard to believe that behind the scenes people aren't working on a plan once it's lifted.

Whether it's staying I-AA or making a step up, the details are certainly being discussed. Peacock and Cobb are smart guys and I think they're gonna do
what's best for ASU.

I also think a decision will be tied to what UNC Charlotte does in regards to football. Depending on the vote in November and subsequent plans put forth by the 49ers - I don't think we watch an upstart program move to I-A (I realize they're only talking I-AA for now, but that could change) while we stay put.

Mountaineer
September 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
ASU should examine all the options available when the time comes. If everything is right, move up. Otherwise, continue to position the university to be ready to capitalize on the right opportunity.

Ding. :D

SoCon48
September 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM

And Emanuel Udogu.

SoCon48
September 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Of course Cobb is going to say a decision is 2 or 3 years away. That's about the length of time left in the moratorium. However, I find it hard to believe that behind the scenes people aren't working on a plan once it's lifted.

Whether it's staying I-AA or making a step up, the details are certainly being discussed. Peacock and Cobb are smart guys and I think they're gonna do
what's best for ASU.

I also think a decision will be tied to what UNC Charlotte does in regards to football. Depending on the vote in November and subsequent plans put forth by the 49ers - I don't think we watch an upstart program move to I-A (I realize they're only talking I-AA for now, but that could change) while we stay put.

Cobb:

"ASU athletic director Charlie Cobb said Thursday that he has given some thought to the idea,"

“Right now we're pretty successful in what we're doing,” Cobb said. “Because of the winning, because of the excitement and how the school has been able to benefit from it, Appalachian is doing very well.

“Geography is always going to be the question that has to be answered for any kind of future growth. And the reality is that you could lose some of the excitement, some of the enthusiasm; when you look at some of those schools that have made the 1-AA to 1-A jump

I'm not going to say the question's tough; the implementation is. Where (which league) are you going to go? Where are you going to get the money? How are you going to do it? Who's going to play you? How does it affect your other sports?”

Cobb isn't averse to studying the issue

So it's easily two or three years down the road before we have a serious conversation (on the subject).”