PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the SoCon?

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 05:10 PM
Who do you think will win the SoCon

grizband
November 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Who do you think will win the SoCon
Furman. I look at all the close games they have won, and it just seems to be "their" season. I saw the end of their first game when it was broadcast on tv. That win impressed the hell out of me. I would have to say that App St. and Ga. Southern aren't too far behind, though.

gophoenix
November 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
IMHO, Furman wins the conference, but App wins the NC.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM

hey man, i'm coming down for the game in a few weeks, any good restaurants you would recomend?

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM
Gosh, it seems like all of the sudden App St. is the trendy pick to win the NC...does that bother any other App fans as well? I'm sort of a fan of coming in under the radar...and with all our past playoff troubles, I'm pretty surprised to see so many fans from other schools picking US. Let's hope they're right.

SoCon48
November 1st, 2005, 05:49 PM

App has to stop quality run games if they're going anywhere in the play-offs. They'll see some of these if they make it in.

SoCon48
November 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Gosh, it seems like all of the sudden App St. is the trendy pick to win the NC...does that bother any other App fans as well? I'm sort of a fan of coming in under the radar...and with all our past playoff troubles, I'm pretty surprised to see so many fans from other schools picking US. Let's hope they're right.

Despite what some people think about the rankings, ASU may just be under the radar again after the LSU game.

Cincy App
November 1st, 2005, 05:52 PM

Yes, it bothers me. ASU's focus better be to win its last 2 conference games. If not, we won't even be playing after Thanksgiving. Western and Elon first...

gophoenix
November 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM
I know coming from an Elon fan, my opinions really suck. I think there aer quality programs that will be in the playoffs. Typical Montana, UNH is looking good, I wouldn't cross Hampton off just yet either despite what people say, GSU if they can gel, and the Gateway has their typical quality. Furman is good, but there D seems to be really hot and cold.

IMHO, App is hands down the best all around team in I-AA right now. They are firing on all cylinders, if they can work out their "run up the gut" defense, they'll be the team to stop.

Don't think it is trendy, I just think it is the truth.

AppGuy04, the Elon game is going to be a massacre. I'm going, but I am so sick of seeing us lose it isn't funny. And I think Paul Hamilton is killing our program even more. It's not going to be fun walking out of that game with App fans talking junk....ugh.

As for restaurants. Huey's BBQ at the corner of Church St and Willaimson is good, in the Food Lion shopping center. We usually hit it on the way in. If you take the new Elon exit, take a right when you get the Church St (US 70) and it'll on your left. Sidetracks at the school is good. There are a bunch of new places on the Huffman Mill Rd exit. But its been so long since I've gone to a game and had an appetite afterwards, that I really couldn't tell you about restaurants anymore.

GaSouthern
November 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Appy takes the crown... followed by GSU and Vermin

Eaglegus2
November 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
My vote goes to App State...............I have no opinion on who will win the NC, yet.

SoCon48
November 1st, 2005, 07:06 PM
My vote goes to App State...............I have no opinion on who will win the NC, yet.

If you guys will do in Statesboro what we were a tipped field goal away from in Greeneville, I'll agree.
If its close, though, don't count on coming out on top. If the chance to put them away occurs, do it!

youwouldno
November 1st, 2005, 07:09 PM
A FG would have won the game for App? Who knew. Plus your kicker probably would have missed anyway.

The answer to the poll is App or Furman, and I think the odds are very close to even. Tie goes to the home team so, in my case, the Paladins.

SoCon48
November 1st, 2005, 07:10 PM
I know coming from an Elon fan, my opinions really suck. I think there aer quality programs that will be in the playoffs. Typical Montana, UNH is looking good, I wouldn't cross Hampton off just yet either despite what people say, GSU if they can gel, and the Gateway has their typical quality. Furman is good, but there D seems to be really hot and cold.

IMHO, App is hands down the best all around team in I-AA right now. They are firing on all cylinders, if they can work out their "run up the gut" defense, they'll be the team to stop.

Don't think it is trendy, I just think it is the truth.

AppGuy04, the Elon game is going to be a massacre. I'm going, but I am so sick of seeing us lose it isn't funny. And I think Paul Hamilton is killing our program even more. It's not going to be fun walking out of that game with App fans talking junk....ugh.

As for restaurants. Huey's BBQ at the corner of Church St and Willaimson is good, in the Food Lion shopping center. We usually hit it on the way in. If you take the new Elon exit, take a right when you get the Church St (US 70) and it'll on your left. Sidetracks at the school is good. There are a bunch of new places on the Huffman Mill Rd exit. But its been so long since I've gone to a game and had an appetite afterwards, that I really couldn't tell you about restaurants anymore.

Shouldn't be many Apps talking junk in Rhodes regardless of the outcome. They'd have to be drunk, in which the NCSHP will take care of them later.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2005, 07:58 PM
Cool, App is leading. Guess that means that people have confidence that GSU will beat furman :D .

An ASU loss to LSU hurts their playoff chances?? That doesn't seem fair... If ASU had lost to Kansas, FU, GSU, and LSU, I'd still put them in the playoffs.

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM
An ASU loss to LSU? The game hasn't been played yet. :D .

But anyway, hopefully with some help from our buds GSU this weekend and no let-downs in the Western game I'll be at Elon celebrating our SOCON championship, not the win over Elon. I don't think App has anything to prove talking s--t to Elon fans... :rolleyes:

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
BTW, LSU has a habit of not destroying weaker I-AA teams like WCU and El Cid. Don't be shocked if we have a pulse come the fourth quarter. I think our team really wants to make a statement of some sort, a statement that could perhaps allow Richie to pursue his NFL career here in the good ol' U.S. of A (versus starting out in NFL Europe...probably the likely avenue as of now...even though the guy would probably start for 90-95% of the big name I-A schools and be successful). I think LSU has the ability to run the ball all over us, particularly up the middle, but in other aspects of the game it's lot less clear. LSU will also not even start their RB...

OL FU
November 2nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Cool, App is leading. Guess that means that people have confidence that GSU will beat furman :D .

An ASU loss to LSU hurts their playoff chances?? That doesn't seem fair... If ASU had lost to Kansas, FU, GSU, and LSU, I'd still put them in the playoffs.

Yep, that is what it means considering there are more ASU and GSU posters :)

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2005, 06:51 AM
I don't think App has anything to prove talking s--t to Elon fans...

You apparently do not know your fans that well. The last Elon game, I saw groups of App fans taunting the Elon fans as we were leaving after we were pummelled. Groups of App fans talking smack to Elon people about being dressed up for homecoming. If you think App fans don't talk s**t to us, then I would ask you to just go take a look at your message board. Any post with Elon in it has some sort of putdown included.

So, apparently, you do have something to prove by talking smack to us.

ASU Kep
November 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Sorry, not saying it doesn't happen, just saying that I myself don't see much point to it. Elon has roughly the same chance of beating App that we have of beating LSU this weekend. Notice: If ASU plays extremely well and gets VERY lucky, it could happen. 99% of the time though, it won't. Hopefully things down there at Elon will get at least a little better in a few years with an App grad at the helm (I'm aware he's not the most popular man on campus at the moment) and THEN maybe I'll come down there talkin' smack in a few years. :D

SoCon48
November 2nd, 2005, 07:22 AM
You apparently do not know your fans that well. The last Elon game, I saw groups of App fans taunting the Elon fans as we were leaving after we were pummelled. Groups of App fans talking smack to Elon people about being dressed up for homecoming. If you think App fans don't talk s**t to us, then I would ask you to just go take a look at your message board. Any post with Elon in it has some sort of putdown included.

So, apparently, you do have something to prove by talking smack to us.

You're right about the message boards. Goes back to Elon's good year before entering the SoCon and how Elon was going to replace ASU in the big three (and that little Wofford already was, etc) and how ASU had never achieved anything. No NC's compared to Elon's etc. How ASU fans were so ignorant for aspiring to move to I-A. How ASU never drew decent crowds for the first round of the play-offs, etc. How ASU was vastly inferior academically to Elon and the other privates, etc. How the baseball program at ASU was so horrible compared to Elon's.
I imagine it will all come back again when Elon begins competing better in football.
There's been a lot of trash talking between Elon and App fans in recent years. Just the Apps are getting theirs in a lot more in recent years.

It already did when Elon's basketball team beat App in the second game last season and the baseball Phoenix wiped the field with App's squad.

But anyway, this fan is keeping quiet, as Rhodes could be a sad place for ASU fans should Elon upset the Apps this year. They would like nothing better than to knock ASU out of a shot at the play-offs--if WCU hasn't already done so by then.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
looks like more Furman fans right now

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
We're talking sports, academics really have nothing to do with it unless it comes to academics with athletes. Besides, App is the 5th best Academic school in the conference.

Elon Baseball through the history of the program has been superior to App. Granted there was a 20 year span where we didn't play, so I have no clue what App was back them. But until App left NAIA and when Elon entered DII, Elon always had the better squad.

Elon was good in 1999 and 2000. We had high expectations going into the Big South's first year and big letdowns. I don't remember anyone saying Elon was going to replace App in the Big 3.

It's a moot point until we actually win something. Maybe a new AD will get things working right instead of continuing to run us like an NAIA school.

Elon has roughly the same chance of beating App that we have of beating LSU this weekend

Actually, according to the computer polls, we have a better shot of beating you than you do LSU. Besides, I don't think Hamilton will be here after his son graduates. Or at least I sure hope he isn't. He can't retain coaches, he can't recruit, and he can't coach.

blueballs
November 2nd, 2005, 08:27 AM

If ASU plays four playoff games like they played against GSU they will win the NC.

LarryBoy
November 2nd, 2005, 08:30 AM
Unless, of course, their opponent plays better.

SoCon48
November 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM
We're talking sports, academics really have nothing to do with it unless it comes to academics with athletes. Besides, App is the 5th best Academic school in the conference.

Elon Baseball through the history of the program has been superior to App. Granted there was a 20 year span where we didn't play, so I have no clue what App was back them. But until App left NAIA and when Elon entered DII, Elon always had the better squad.

Elon was good in 1999 and 2000. We had high expectations going into the Big South's first year and big letdowns. I don't remember anyone saying Elon was going to replace App in the Big 3.

It's a moot point until we actually win something. Maybe a new AD will get things working right instead of continuing to run us like an NAIA school.

Actually, according to the computer polls, we have a better shot of beating you than you do LSU. Besides, I don't think Hamilton will be here after his son graduates. Or at least I sure hope he isn't. He can't retain coaches, he can't recruit, and he can't coach.

Based on Elon's performance vs Coastal and some SoCon's teams, I'd say App should take Elon very seriously.

As to Hamilton, as an App fan, I hope Elon rehires Seagraves. Funny thing, Hamilton did MUCH better at ETSU with half a squad than he is at Elon. I think you may have something there about the AD and NAIA thinking. Ham's ETSU recruits sure did well at UNC and elsewhere.

Baseball. ASU fielded a very competitive Div I program for a couple decades.
As to NAIA. I never saw an ASU baseball game then. Football, basketball, yes. I do know that Frank Lovrich fielded some very good baseball teams while App was still in NAIA. Of course in those days, Pfeiffer kicked everyone's butts.