PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: New college football rules trim 14 minutes from game

BDKJMU
September 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I'd keep the new rule of the 40 second play clock starting when the previous play is blown dead vs the old 25 second play clock starting when the ball and chains were set. They should go back to the old out of bounds rule though of the clock doesn't start until the ball is snapped on the next play instead of when the ball is set for play (outside of the last 2 min of each half). That would bring back those 8 plays per game that have been lost, and would only add on maybe about 6 min to games. They would still be shorter than 07' and 05'-prior.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-09-24-Clockrules_N.htm

appfan2008
September 26th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I agree I like the 40 but the players still havent adjusted to the out of bounds rule... they still think they have all the time in the world when they really dont

Seven Would Be Nice
September 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I still think changing the rules of a game that have been around for decades because TV channels want to air more commercials is complete bull*****.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I still think changing the rules of a game that have been around for decades because TV channels want to air more commercials is complete bull*****.

Agreed.

A rule change to improve the game or to protect players is great.
Changes to the game simply to fit a time slot for TV...not so much.

JayJ79
September 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I'm confused. how do the new clock rules enable TV to show more commercials during the game?

Yes, the overall game times are shorter, but there aren't any more opportunities for TV timeouts during the game.

aust42
September 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Exactly. I hope there is an outcry from coaches like the last time they tried to shorten the game.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
if you ever see one of those edited express games on TV you know that the game can be shortened! xlolx

LacesOut
September 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
LOL

Just wondering, but how does this affect you as fans?? Is anyone seriously sitting at a game, or watching on TV, and wondering how long it takes to actually play the entire game?

"OMG the USC game took four more minutes to play than the Delaware game?!? LEAVE OUR GAME TIME ALONE, TV AND NCAA!!!!!!" "WE AS FANS HAVE THE RIGHT TO WATCH AN ENTIRE FOOTBALL GAME NOT AN APPREVIATED ONE!"

Haha

soccerguy315
September 26th, 2008, 12:36 PM
The 40 second play clock is fine, but the clock has to stop going out of bounds.

What if a team is driving with 5 minutes left in the game down by 2 scores? They can't do anything to stop the clock, and they need the ball back to try to score again! It's not fair. Then suddenly, inside the last 2 minutes, the clock stops? Makes NO sense at all.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
if there are less plays that means there are less chances to break records.

Lionsrking
September 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Concerning the 40-second clock, did anyone notice USC trying to manipulate a few extra seconds last night? During the final minutes, when Oregon State had the ball, on one play, a USC player went down with an injury (may have been legitimate, his knee was rolled up) and on another, Pete Carroll either faked a timeout or complained to an official which caused them to stop the clock momentarily...saved them about 10 seconds between each play because when the clock is stopped for any reason, it resets at 25, instead of 40.

GreatAppSt
September 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Exactly the game is the game if you want to cover it to make you $$ do so but if you want to change the gmae to fit your priorities. fug off!!!!xmadx xmadx xmadx

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Concerning the 40-second clock, did anyone notice...USC and Oregon State have football teams? xsmiley_wix