PDA

View Full Version : Quick Seed Question

bluehenbillk
November 1st, 2005, 12:45 PM
Is it still only 4 seeds or did it get changed to 8?

89Hen
November 1st, 2005, 01:03 PM

LacesOut
November 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

henfan
November 1st, 2005, 02:08 PM
The NCAA is still considering seeding eight teams for 2006, which I think is a really bad idea on a couple of levels. Hopefully they won't make that mistake.

Retro
November 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM
Why is 8 seeds a bad idea? The top 8 seeds should get home field, provided they meet the minimum bid and then in round 2 same scenerio with higher seeded team getting 1st refusal.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Why is 8 seeds a bad idea? The top 8 seeds should get home field, provided they meet the minimum bid and then in round 2 same scenerio with higher seeded team getting 1st refusal.

I completely agree. Money should not determine who's home and who's on the road. The players bust their but all year around and their accomplishments shouldn't go unrewarded because Montana or UD can throw what ever $$ it takes to get a home game.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 1st, 2005, 03:12 PM
I understand the rationale that money shouldn't have as big an influence as regular season performance (all other things being equal), but at the same time I can see the reasoning behind the NCAA wanting to reward the communities that get behind the product and support it week in and week out, rather than letting the hosting be done by a community that has consistently demonstrated that it could give a rat's ass about I-AA football.
It makes much more sense from a business standpoint to allow the more loyal customers to earn a postseason bone, for a couple different and very legitimate reasons.

LacesOut
November 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM
I agree with the last two posts, therefore completely perfecting the Straddle The Fence position.

putter
November 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM
I completely agree with the straddle position!! Oh, wait, I am thinking of something else!! :eek:

I would like to see I-AA put it's best foot forward, especially when you are on ESPN. It helps I-AA to see 23,000+ in Washington/Griz or the Tub when the nation is watching. No disrespect to any other clubs (as I have left out a lot of teams which represent I-AA well) but if a Gator or Longhorn fan is flipping the channels and sees a I-AA game in the top venues then it would seem to portray it as a quality product, which the NCAA itself has done a poor job selling.

bluehenbillk
November 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM
The system worked best before 9/11 when we didn't look at regionalization & seeded everyone 1-16.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM
The system worked best before 9/11 when we didn't look at regionalization & seeded everyone 1-16.

i thought regionalization was done to keep costs down?

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM
It was, and that's part of the point.

There are a couple different definitions of "worked best", and one of them has to do with how viable (read: profitable, or at least break-even) I-AA football is long-term.

Allowing the more loyal fanbases to have a chance to host games makes the system much more viable in the long run, from that standpoint. And therefore, it "works best" this way.

But, as I said earlier, I'm actually pretty sympathetic to the performance-based seeding, too. Even though seeding is very tough and subjective when you're looking at teams from opposite ends of the country who haven't faced each other or any common opponents throughout the season.

Retro
November 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM
That's what the NCAA said, but it was also to eliminate so-called costly plane flights. When you breakdown the costs, a plane trip from say bowling green to montana is likely the same as one from maine to montana depending on the charter... As far as fans, the hardcore fans will travel regardless of method or distance.. Only games within 2 hours are likely to see dramatic road fan attendance vs. games further away.

We do need to get back to 1-8 por 1-16 seeding and thus rewarding at least the top 8 seeds a home field advantage. Even if it ends up at a school with sub-par attendance, that school has the opportunity to show the NCAA it can increase attendance based on it's playoff appearance and has a chance to build its overall fan base for the future... In the second round, start the minimum bid requirement for all seeds then. If some of those schools do have success at the gate, then they may be are more willing to put up the required bid and keep their home field advantage..

When it comes to TV and ESPN, it does look better for I-AA to have packed stadiums with fans on both sides of the field (wku?), but for the 1st round the games aren't nationally televised on such a wide scale as much as the championship game and semi-finals.. Those games are the ones where more of the country will likely tune in because of the lack other football on tv.

89Hen
November 1st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Chalk me up as a fence walker too. While teams should earn it on the field, it is important for one double ay to have more than 4,000 fans in attendance if the game is on TV.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 04:41 PM
Whats the deal with these teams that are good and have no fans, that makes no sense to me

89Hen
November 1st, 2005, 04:45 PM
Whats the deal with these teams that are good and have no fans, that makes no sense to me
Ice Hockey apparently. :p

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 1st, 2005, 05:28 PM
I may be making a bad assumption, but I assume you're including UNH with that comment 89. Except for a game in a driving rain storm, UNH has been well over 100% capacity in attendance this year. Even that rain game had higher attendance than any game in recent history. I'd say that interest has significantly increased at UNH.

At the same time expecting 5K+ in SRO isn't really realistic either. Nor is putting crowds like achieved by UD, Montana, App State, etc. as the barometer for equaling interest in a program. It just isn't possible at most of the I-AA schools today.

All I can say is that interest at UNH is growing in leaps and bounds. I've even heard reports of student attendance at football games exceeding that at ice hockey games. If that isn't a sign of interest than I don't know what to say to convince you.

Eaglegus2
November 1st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Seeding the Top 4 isn't all bad. I do believe that seeding the Top 8 would give a school with lesser attendance a chance to host a home game.

Also, seeding only the Top 4 provides the larger attendance school the ability to out bid those with lesser attendance. Unless their pockets are mighty deep.

I really think everything should be re-evaluated which includes lesser attendance schools getting home games because they earned it on the field.

Just my .02 cents!! :nod:

SeattleGriz
November 1st, 2005, 07:01 PM
Ice Hockey apparently. :p

Don't forget the camera's being on the packed side of the stadium excuse as well. :D

elkmcc
November 1st, 2005, 08:05 PM
Maybe I am wrong but didn't UNH end up traveling to Missoula last year in the qtr's because they couldn't guarantee the $$'s that UM could? We really enjoyed having them here and they are more than welcome to come back.

igo4uni
November 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
We really enjoyed having them here and they are more than welcome to come back.

I bet you did enjoy having them come to your home turf!! :) :D :p :D :) ;) :) :) :) :)

peace

igo4uni