PDA

View Full Version : Is a tough road to the playoffs an advantage?

LBPop
November 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM
As a new I-AA fan, it appears to me that the ultimate champs seem to have had a tough run to get to the playoffs. Getting through the A-10 is a killer, but maybe the fact that the last two champions came out of that conference is just a coincidence.

If a difficult regular season makes for a quality playoff team, then we're in for some real battles this season. From a Patriot League perspective, whoever gets in (one or two teams), I would expect them to be a tough "out" for anyone. Any thoughts?

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM
As a new I-AA fan, it appears to me that the ultimate champs seem to have had a tough run to get to the playoffs. Getting through the A-10 is a killer, but maybe the fact that the last two champions came out of that conference is just a coincidence.

If a difficult regular season makes for a quality playoff team, then we're in for some real battles this season. From a Patriot League perspective, whoever gets in (one or two teams), I would expect them to be a tough "out" for anyone. Any thoughts?

"Battle tested" teams usually fair better yes

colgate13
November 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM
I agree (with AppGuy04 for once!).

But it may also have something to do with the types of games you've won in addition to who you have played.

Have you played in OT?
Have you come from behind?
Have you played in a tough road environment?

The OT game might be against a 6-5 team and the come from behind might be against a 4-6 team, but you've done it. You have been in those situations, so you're calmer and more able to execute under pressure.

ChickenMan
November 1st, 2005, 10:31 AM
It is an advantage... IF... you can get to the playoffs... ;)

siugrad99
November 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Ask SIU if a tough schedule would benefit them in the playoffs. 2 straight years our OOC schedule was weak and we got it handed to us. The 1st year noone was going to beat the Blue Hens, but last year we should have beaten EWU at home.

SoCon48
November 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM
It is an advantage... IF... you can get to the playoffs... ;)

Good post. Add having to play like 3 or 4 games on the road because of your record.