PDA

View Full Version : Who will lose more games in SoCon this year?

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
With the opening of SoCon play, who will lose more games?

Seven Would Be Nice
September 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
UTC

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I left off UTC, WCU, and Samford because I don't see them winning more than the top 6; all of which has a legitimate shot and winning the conference.

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
It will be a miracle if one of these teams goes undefeated in the conference. If that happens though, it HAS to warrant a #1 overall seed in the playoffs. Thats just how deep this conference is.

dgreco
September 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM
gsu looks the weakest

appfan2008
September 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I went with The Citadel but GSU would be a close second for me...

appfan2008
September 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
gsu looks the weakest

you said gsu looks the weakest and yet you voted for ASU? xeyebrowx

you do know we can see who you voted for right?

ASU might lose a couple but I dont think they will lose the most out of the teams on the list

ElonFirefighter
September 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
"you are the weakest link.......goodbye"

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Good thing the SoCon can get multiple bids because there are just too many good teams this year to leave out of the postseason!

mcveyrl
September 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
It will be a miracle if one of these teams goes undefeated in the conference. If that happens though, it HAS to warrant a #1 overall seed in the playoffs. Thats just how deep this conference is.

I'm sure you mean unless JMU or UR goes undefeated in the CAA (which I don't think will happen either).xcoolx

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Outside of JMU and UR, do you see any teams in the CAA competing for the conference title? I'm a little biased since Elon's in the SoCon, but it seems like the CAA is top heavy, unlike the SoCon where there are multiple teams with chances at winning the conference. Will the JMU vs UR game be televised?

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Outside of JMU and UR, do you see any teams in the CAA competing for the conference title? I'm a little biased since Elon's in the SoCon, but it seems like the CAA is top heavy, unlike the SoCon where there are multiple teams with chances at winning the conference. Will the JMU vs UR game be televised?

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm sure you mean unless JMU or UR goes undefeated in the CAA (which I don't think will happen either).xcoolx

bostonspider
September 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
The UR-JMU game is on Comcast Sportsnet. I think VU and UNH both have a chance to win the CAA, as does even UMass as they get UR in Amherst. UNH gets somewhat lucky this year by missing out on playing UR, JMU and UD from the south.

mcveyrl
September 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I believe JMU-UR is on Comcast SportsNet.

The following teams have a legitimate shot at winning the CAA (in no particular order):

JMU, UR, Villanova, Delaware, William and Mary, UNH and UMass (although they've already got a conference loss)

The problem is that everybody doesn't play everybody, so many times 7-1 will give you a tie.

CID1990
September 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not seeing how The Citadel is weaker than GSU. We are stronger this year than we were last year.

Being undefeated at home this year is not out of the question. Throw in a possible road win over either Wofford, Furman or ASU, and we'll be sitting pretty in November.

Eight Legger
September 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Not to start another SoCon-CAA thread, but so far our preseason 1 and 2 (or 2 and 3, depending how you want to look at it) have beaten the SoCon's 1 and 2. So if Elon or ASU runs the table in the league, I think JMU or UR would have the edge as far as seedings go, if all else is equal.

psc2445
September 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I'm not seeing how The Citadel is weaker than GSU. We are stronger this year than we were last year.

Being undefeated at home this year is not out of the question. Throw in a possible road win over either Wofford, Furman or ASU, and we'll be sitting pretty in November.

Aim High

youwouldno
September 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Not to start another SoCon-CAA thread, but so far our preseason 1 and 2 (or 2 and 3, depending how you want to look at it) have beaten the SoCon's 1 and 2. So if Elon or ASU runs the table in the league, I think JMU or UR would have the edge as far as seedings go, if all else is equal.

That's highly unlikely, for any of those teams to run the table, let alone a pair of them to do so (JMU/App or UR/Elon). And Elon probably won't finish as the #2 team in the SoCon so Richmond can't use that win as a trump card over, say, Furman or Wofford. I do agree that a team that won head-to-head should generally be seeded higher, all else being equal.

furman94
September 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Really?

WCU LawCat
September 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I picked GSU but it could be The Citadel. All 6 teams can't be at the top. GSU has the youngest and most unproven group so I picked them.

elcid96
September 24th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Historically we have not been a good team. We are not the same team last year and we proved we have a new team last year. I expected to be at the bottom of this poll and not surprised we were picked to finish 6th in the SOCON by the coaches pre-season poll. We will definitely be a surprise this year on a lot of schedules.

CID1990
September 24th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Really?

Uh, yes, Really.

If we go undefeated at home and win one of those three road games, then that means we will have lost two conference games. That is usually the formula for an at-large bid. Unless we get woofed.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Uh, yes, Really.

If we go undefeated at home and win one of those three road games, then that means we will have lost two conference games. That is usually the formula for an at-large bid. Unless we get woofed.

But you'll also only have 6 DI wins, unless you beat Florida.
[EDIT] NM

SCPALADIN
September 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
But you'll also only have 6 DI wins, unless you beat Florida.
[EDIT] NM

Exactly...there is absolutely no way you will get an at-large bid with only 6 D-I wins. I think CID1990 is banking on the auto-win out at Samford...this would give them 7 D-I wins. I don't think it would be wise to look that far ahead. xnonox

uofmman1122
September 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I said Furman, but in all honesty, I have no idea. xlolx

BULLDOG8180
September 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Exactly...there is absolutely no way you will get an at-large bid with only 6 D-I wins. I think CID1990 is banking on the auto-win out at Samford...this would give them 7 D-I wins. I don't think it would be wise to look that far ahead. xnonox

ASU,FU,WC- winning two of these on the road is NOT out of the question.xthumbsupx

SCPALADIN
September 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
ASU,FU,WC- winning two of these on the road is NOT out of the question.xthumbsupx

I completely agree...but...you don't play WCU on the road. You play WCU this Saturday at home. You did know the game was at home in two days, right xeyebrowx?
CID1990 had the right idea with his thinking. Unfortunately he left out a vital game against Samford...which flaws his argument. I think CIT can beat Samford. If they do what CID1990 predicts with the rest of the schedule then this would make the record 8-4 with 7 of the wins being against D-I opponents. It's doable...but it's going to be tough to beat Elon and GSU at home.

RazorEdge19
September 24th, 2008, 10:30 PM

ASU @ The Rock = Hard to win reigning champs
Furman in G'Ville = Tough win against good team
Wofford in Sparkle = Tough win against good team...that Citadel hasn't beaten in a decade

You honestly think you can win one, much less two of those?

SCPALADIN
September 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Wofford in Sparkle = Tough win against good team...that Citadel hasn't beaten in a decade

OHHH...my bad. By WC you meant Wofford xoopsx. *Yawn*

SCPALADIN
September 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM

AHHH...my bad. By WC you meant Wofford xoopsx xwhistlex xoopsx xwhistlex.

FCS Go!
September 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I really think it will be GSU on this one but I voted for Citadel- just to make the thread more interesting.

PhoenixPhan06
September 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
While it would be nice to run the table in the conference, I think a one, possibly a two loss team could win out or atleast a share of the conference title. If this poll is any indication of how the SoCon season plays out, it'll be a heated race down to the last two weeks of the season!

I think Elon has an edge with home games against Furman and Wofford as well as a winable game at The Citadel. Traveling to Boone in November will be no easy task but we have a great chance at finishing SoCon play going 6-2, possibly 7-1 if we can gets wins against Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel.

With so many teams capable of winning the SoCon, every game becomes a must win and will make for a SoCon season to remember!

introvertedGSUfan
September 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah the SoCon seems to be very balanced this year. I'm excited to just to watch what the outcome will be.

alexale23
September 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM

If JMU runs undefeated through CAA they will get #1 seed. Jmu will be rank #1 and the undefeated socon team will be #2.

Appaholic
September 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Obviously, the Citadel.....if a bunch Princeton nerds can cause them to lose their composure, I'd hate to see their two-minute drill......xwhistlex

PhoenixPhan06
September 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM
With all the injuries that App State is experiencing now, the balance could shift a little more

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
If JMU runs undefeated through CAA they will get #1 seed. Jmu will be rank #1 and the undefeated socon team will be #2.

Unless it's Wofford, who lost to South Carolina by 10, as oppose to the JMU blowout to Duke.

PhoenixPhan06
September 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Through the first two weeks of SoCon play, the poll is holding true. This weekend should really shake things up in the standings with multiple big games on the slate!

BULLDOG8180
September 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Through the first two weeks of SoCon play, the poll is holding true. This weekend should really shake thigs up in the standings with multiple big games on the slate!

Hard to say the poll is holding up after only 5 games. But, you are right, this weekend will begin to divide things up.

elcid96
September 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Not surpised to see GSU take the top spot in the loser poll.

GSUhooligan
September 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Not surpised to see GSU take the top spot in the loser poll.

As opposed to Citadel "men" who like to take loser's "poles" in their "bottom spot."

citdog
September 30th, 2008, 04:22 PM
As opposed to Citadel "men" who like to take loser's "poles" in their "bottom spot."

you have us confused with VMI

PhoenixPhan06
September 30th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Haha, well done!