PDA

View Full Version : WNC Gas Shortage Claims A Victim....

Appaholic
September 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
....ME! Given the current situation in WNC with regard to gas shortage, it looks as though I may be unable to attend this weeks Presbyterian game. I realize this sounds utterly ridiculous and, in this day and age, it is....local colleges have canceled night classes to count down on commuter miles, local police are being sent out to monitor the few gas stations that have gas....mainly direct traffic around the lines and diffuse volatile situations....yes, it is this bad in Western NC......in one gas station Tuesday, three fights erupted among gas patrons...welcome to 1974....wonder how it will affect other commuters coming this weekend for games?

Regardless, it looks as though there will be two tickets available if anyone is interested....pm me......

appfan2008
September 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
if there is a will there is a way appaholic!

get your tail up there we need you!

wapiti
September 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Out of $$ after the Missoula trip I suppose??xtwocentsx

AshevilleApp2
September 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
....ME! Given the current situation in WNC with regard to gas shortage, it looks as though I may be unable to attend this weeks Presbyterian game. I realize this sounds utterly ridiculous and, in this day and age, it is....local colleges have canceled night classes to count down on commuter miles, local police are being sent out to monitor the few gas stations that have gas....mainly direct traffic around the lines and diffuse volatile situations....yes, it is this bad in Western NC......in one gas station Tuesday, three fights erupted among gas patrons...welcome to 1974....wonder how it will affect other commuters coming this weekend for games?

Regardless, it looks as though there will be two tickets available if anyone is interested....pm me......

There's gas in South Carolina (just filled up an hour ago),and Spruce Pine (as of yesterday).

appmaj
September 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
That sucks....how is it that NC is so affected by this???

I am stuck in New Mexico (working on a refinery oddly enough) no problems all the way to Dallas. But i guess that makes sense the ET & WNC situation doesnt make sense to me.

How much is gas right now?

catamount man
September 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not going down to C'Town for WCU-Citadel so it's not just you. But gas be damned, it's Homecoming next week in Cullowhee for Samford.

How's WW going? I'm down 51. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

neersnbeers
September 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I sat in line today in Hendersonville for an hour and half to get the limited 10 gallons. I plan on heading off the mountain Saturday morning to fill up and then off to Boone!

Appaholic
September 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I sat in line today in Hendersonville for an hour and half to get the limited 10 gallons. I plan on heading off the mountain Saturday morning to fill up and then off to Boone!

Dam, neersnbeers, where do you live? Did I know you live in Hendo? I happened upon a gas station at lunch and filled up.....4th person in line for $4.29 gas.....by the time I left, the line stretech over 1/2 a mile on Airport Rd and there were 10 gas pumps available.......it's really quite pathetic.....psst.....terrorists.....if you want to inflictdamage, just hit the Colonial Pipeline.....xsmhx

Appaholic
September 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Out of $$ after the Missoula trip I suppose??xtwocentsx

Nope......that's the problem......there is no gas available in Western NC......you could offer someone $100 gallon, but they don't have it to sell......yes, I spent alot in Missoula.....and Lolo......

Appaholic
September 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm not going down to C'Town for WCU-Citadel so it's not just you. But gas be damned, it's Homecoming next week in Cullowhee for Samford.

How's WW going? I'm down 51. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I may have gone up 51 after this weekend.....xcoffeex

catamount man
September 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I may have gone up 51 after this weekend.....xcoffeex

Too much Moose Drool beer?xthumbsupx

ASUG8
September 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Yep, my folks in WNC cancelled a trip to Greenville because of this. The station where I get my diet coke every morning between Clemson and Anderson got their first shipment in 10 days yesterday. At least prices are coming back down here - I saw $3.61 on the way in this AM.

AppStsGr8
September 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Asheville seems to be worse than other parts nearby - we even made the national Fox News online. The supposition is that we have a higher percentage of independent (non-branded) stations. Right now, I've got enough gas to get to Boone for the game ... that's enough.

biggie
September 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Seems Asheville/Charlotte/Raleigh are the worst right now. We haven't had an issue around here, except the lack of 89/93 oct in places.

appfan2008
September 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Raleigh is fine as well the stations are just out of premium... in Durham I havent seen any problems at all!

cmaxwellgsu
September 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Atlanta is bone dry as well. I'm hoping that won't affect our attendance against Wofford too badly.

biggie
September 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Just read an article with the Govenor saying gas is on its way to WNC and should be better tomorrow, but won't but til next week until its close to normal.

neersnbeers
September 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Dam, neersnbeers, where do you live? Did I know you live in Hendo? I happened upon a gas station at lunch and filled up.....4th person in line for $4.29 gas.....by the time I left, the line stretech over 1/2 a mile on Airport Rd and there were 10 gas pumps available.......it's really quite pathetic.....psst.....terrorists.....if you want to inflictdamage, just hit the Colonial Pipeline.....xsmhx

Man I've been meaning to hit you up. I live in Flat Rock but my office is on Spartanburg Hwy. Only been here for about 5 months but I love the place. My dad used to work for Colonial Dist. in Gboro and says this crisis is a bunch of crap. Says the fuel is always there.???? Who knowsxeyebrowx

FCS Go!
September 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Nope......that's the problem......there is no gas available in Western NC......you could offer someone $100 gallon, but they don't have it to sell......yes, I spent alot in Missoula.....and Lolo......

WTH is there in Lolo to spend $ on?

FCS Go!
September 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I just remembered- beef. xoopsx

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Lucky me...Wofford plays GSU @ GSU (I ain't going there) and it's on TV. When stuff like this happens it just remind us how dependant we are on fossil fuels.

elon77
September 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Raleigh is fine as well the stations are just out of premium... in Durham I havent seen any problems at all!

Does anyone know about the gas situation in the Burlington area?

bobbythekidd
September 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Luck me...Wofford plays GSU @ GSU (I ain't going there) and it's on TV.
Come down! I want to meet as many ankle biters as I can!

APPStrongNC
September 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
live in wnc, rutherford county. can not find reg in main towns but the out of town stations have perm and plus but no reg gas. if reg is available $ around 3.86 at the local cheap spots, and long ass lines when the stations release the reg gas. most other stations are above 4 a gal everywhere in the county. 10 gal limts and crap like that. but yeah it is bad all over WNC and the state.
why..... I think it is a bunch of bull *****.

but hey, time to whip some PC ass this weekend ;)

dungeonjoe
September 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Luck me...Wofford plays GSU @ GSU (I ain't going there) and it's on TV. When stuff like this happens it just remind us how dependant we are on fossil fuels.

yea... and dependent on your dad to haul your rear around!xrotatehx
and I ain't no fossil!:)

g-webb1994
September 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Gas here in Shelby is completely hit and miss. Some stations bone dry, some have all three grades. Average price around $4.20 a gallon.

skinny_uncle
September 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Get a horse.

Grizzaholic
September 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I spoke to Appaholic yesterday. For some reason having enough gas to get to work is more important than supporting one's football team on Saturday. He is an App fan. I am sure he has a couple of broken down cars/lawnmowers/dirtbikes in his yard. I would bet he will attend this weekends game then on Sunday build himself a gocart to get to work.

biggie
September 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Apparently Boone is out of gas right now. But supposed to be more by tomorrow/Saturday. We'll just fill up before making the trip.

AshevilleApp2
September 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
There seems to be more gas coming into the area today. Nothing near normal, and the lines are still long, but the worst is hopefully over.

appfan2008
September 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM
All I know is APP fans better get their tails up to boone on saturday i dont care who the opponent is... we need all of you up there... if you have no gas well i guess you better leave work and pick up a walking stick cuz you only got 53 hours till game time and everybody better be there!

neersnbeers
September 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I like your style!

ASUG8
September 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Had to go to 5 stations in Anderson, SC during lunch to find premium. Unfortunately, my car requires it or I'd go lower grade. This is ridiculous.

On a lighter side, I paid $3.83 for premium - at an Exxon station!

AshevilleApp2
September 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM
All I know is APP fans better get their tails up to boone on saturday i dont care who the opponent is... we need all of you up there... if you have no gas well i guess you better leave work and pick up a walking stick cuz you only got 53 hours till game time and everybody better be there!

No tickets. No game.

APPStrongNC
September 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Okay. I went (Drove by) NINE stations during lunch today. The Hess Station was the only one with gas, Regular at that and only 3:89. Now, beside the Hess Station every other station had bags on every pump. Took me about 30 mins to get gas after I got in line. So, not a long lunch today xrotatehx

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
This seems to be a problem in the western half. Prices and supply look to be better east of I-77.

http://www.charlottegasprices.com/Price_By_County.aspx?state=NC&c=usa

appvette
September 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Had to go to 5 stations in Anderson, SC during lunch to find premium. Unfortunately, my car requires it or I'd go lower grade. This is ridiculous.

On a lighter side, I paid $3.83 for premium - at an Exxon station!

That's what you get for buying an LSx xlolx There were several places in Wilkesboro that were out of 93. My fiancee got gas in Boone this morning and Phil's Citgo was the only place she could find. She had to put 87 in her M3 because they were out of premium.

Appinator
September 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Just don't be dumb about this people. Charlotte is a town that is notorious for making mountains out of mole hills. Case in point, watch the news during January and February around here when there is a chance of snow. There are runs on milk and gas then too, as if it is Armageddon. These are the same people who come up to Boone for a ski weekend and drive like they have ventured to the depths of the Arctic Circle.

Basically, if you can't siphon enough gas out of your kids go-cart, and you can't steal any from your neighbor, Lance Armstrong your ass to the rock.

whoanellie
September 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
There's gas in South Carolina (just filled up an hour ago),and Spruce Pine (as of yesterday).
if there were gas lines in Spruce Pine We WOULD have a problem.
50 pick-ups and and a gem mine truck!!! ;-0

appfan2008
September 26th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Just don't be dumb about this people. Charlotte is a town that is notorious for making mountains out of mole hills. Case in point, watch the news during January and February around here when there is a chance of snow. There are runs on milk and gas then too, as if it is Armageddon. These are the same people who come up to Boone for a ski weekend and drive like they have ventured to the depths of the Arctic Circle.

Basically, if you can't siphon enough gas out of your kids go-cart, and you can't steal any from your neighbor, Lance Armstrong your ass to the rock.

That is the attitude that I am talking about!

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 07:25 AM
if there were gas lines in Spruce Pine We WOULD have a problem.
50 pick-ups and and a gem mine truck!!! ;-0

xlolx xlolx All spilling onto a two lane highway!

No lie though, Spruce Pine generally has cheaper gas than other places in the mountains.

elon77
September 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM
xlolx xlolx All spilling onto a two lane highway!

No lie though, Spruce Pine generally has cheaper gas than other places in the mountains.

I thought all you needed in WNC was a bale of hay for your Mule and a little grease for the wooden cart wheel.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx My chillin said stations around Elon were out.:(

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I thought all you needed in WNC was a bale of hay for your Mule and a little grease for the wooden cart wheel.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx My chillin said stations around Elon were out.:(

Hell, with the drought we've got a hay shortage as well. xlolx

AppGrad06
September 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hey just be glad you haven't topped $5 a gallon for reg. like we did here in Knoxville couple weeks ago. It's back to normal here now (for the most part)

ASUG8
September 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Wheel - wuts that? xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hey just be glad you haven't topped $5 a gallon for reg. like we did here in Knoxville couple weeks ago. It's back to normal here now (for the most part)

It did top $5 at a couple of places last week. State government is investigating why, so we'll never know. xsmiley_wix

Appaholic
September 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM
No tickets. No game.

Got two if you want them.....between the gas and blowing out my knee this week, I cannot use them and will be in Asheville this afternoon.....I can run them over....?

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Got two if you want them.....between the gas and blowing out my knee this week, I cannot use them and will be in Asheville this afternoon.....I can run them over....?

Man I really appreciate the offer, but I blew too much money last weekend in Harrisonburg. I need to save my $ for next weekend against Citadel (The). How did you blow out your knee?

Appaholic
September 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I spoke to Appaholic yesterday. For some reason having enough gas to get to work is more important than supporting one's football team on Saturday. He is an App fan. I am sure he has a couple of broken down cars/lawnmowers/dirtbikes in his yard. I would bet he will attend this weekends game then on Sunday build himself a gocart to get to work.

Actually, it was prophetic.....God is either mad at me for my behavior in Montana or suggesting that work was more important than App football (j/k DJ)......I have now blown my knee out and it's looking like surgery for Appaholic......so what can I possibly do on a rainy Saturday during college football season while laid up on the couch...hmmmmmm....

Appaholic
September 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Man I really appreciate the offer, but I blew too much money last weekend in Harrisonburg. I need to save my $ for next weekend against Citadel (The). How did you blow out your knee?

It started acting up last week on a hike to Glassy Mtn....was pushing it too hard to get up and back down before gate closed....then, it wasn't like I was real careful in Montana this past weekend and it was really bugging me being cramped up in the airplane seats.....then, tried to hike yesterday and couldn't make it more than 500 yards from the car.....now it is very swollen, can feel bumps on backside of knee (torn cartilege?), and it's not bending much and is very weak.....

elcid96
September 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Absolutely no problem here in the Mid-West. It sounds like everyone is rushing the pumps for no reason and this is causing the shortage. At least that is what they are saying on the news here.

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
It started acting up last week on a hike to Glassy Mtn....was pushing it too hard to get up and back down before gate closed....then, it wasn't like I was real careful in Montana this past weekend and it was really bugging me being cramped up in the airplane seats.....then, tried to hike yesterday and couldn't make it more than 500 yards from the car.....now it is very swollen, can feel bumps on backside of knee (torn cartilege?), and it's not bending much and is very weak.....

Hate to hear it, hope you don't need surgery. That physical fitness ***** is way overrated. xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Absolutely no problem here in the Mid-West. It sounds like everyone is rushing the pumps for no reason and this is causing the shortage. At least that is what they are saying on the news here.

That's part of the problem, but not all of it.

Our gas is supplied by a pipeline that runs from the gulf states to Spartanburg, SC. Apparently oil production in the gulf had been reduced because of lower gas consumption due to higher prices. Then Gustave and Ike hit and damaged some of the refineries. That resulted in less gas available and the problem was worsened due to people panicking.

appfan2008
September 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Get well soon appaholic... we need you back in boone when you can make it

ASUMountaineer
September 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
That's part of the problem, but not all of it.

Our gas is supplied by a pipeline that runs from the gulf states to Spartanburg, SC. Apparently oil production in the gulf had been reduced because of lower gas consumption due to higher prices. Then Gustave and Ike hit and damaged some of the refineries. That resulted in less gas available and the problem was worsened due to people panicking.

It [Colonial Pipeline] continues to run to Greensboro, NC. There is a huge storage facility by the airport in G'boro. My parents live up there and they haven't suffered nearly like Charlotte and WNC. Hopefully the shipments Douchebag...I mean Easley and Pat McCrory promised were coming today show up.

appfan2008
September 26th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It [Colonial Pipeline] continues to run to Greensboro, NC. There is a huge storage facility by the airport in G'boro. My parents live up there and they haven't suffered nearly like Charlotte and WNC. Hopefully the shipments Douchebag...I mean Easley and Pat McCrory promised were coming today show up.

Good luck to you... I really would hate to see many empty seats bc of a gas shortage...

ASUMountaineer
September 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Good luck to you... I really would hate to see many empty seats bc of a gas shortage...

Well, my wife has enough in her Vue to get up there and back, but my Jeep is equipped for tailgating :D. We'll see what happens, I can't imagine not being there. Keep it real AF2008.

ASUG8
September 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM
My wife had to wait 20 minutes just South of Charlotte and they limited every car to 10 gallons. She was on empty, but 10 gallons in a Mini Cooper will last her a while.

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I'm from G'boro as well and didn't figure they had problems. I was surprised to hear that the Triangle area was having some shortages. Oh, and I think it's Douchebag's. xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM

It seems like things are easing up. I'm sure there won't be many empty seats.

ASUMountaineer
September 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'm from G'boro as well and didn't figure they had problems. I was surprised to hear that the Triangle area was having some shortages. Oh, and I think it's Douchebag's. xthumbsupx

Touche. I promised my friend (president of the Meck Young Republicans) I wouldn't rip on his boy McCrory too much. xlolx

neersnbeers
September 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Just got some sweet tix from the boss! Section 212 baby! 45 yd line. holla

SoCon48
September 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Try www.gasbuddy.com Put in your city. get results. Don't start your engine until you call them. Drive the 4 cyl not the Ford F150.