PDA

View Full Version : How good is UNI this year?

DOME
September 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
All in all I think the D is still stuffing the run pretty well. So long as we aren't playing BYU the secondary seems to hold its own as well. One of the biggest questions I had was in the spot of QB...
I know PG is bigger, faster and stronger but the leadership is what I was worried about.

I will say that some of the typical powerhouses save Montana (and their schedule of local highschool teams J/K) are having some difficulty thus far.

Think UNI can make another run?

UNI Pike
September 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Two things:

Defense has been great against the run. Many of the yards passing have been given up with a lead, almost like a prevent zone is being run.

For the offense, the key is really how fast Pat Grace settles into being a passer. It looks as if he really gets off on calling his own number and putting a shoulder pad into DB 15-25 yards down field. There were a number of ugly passes/decisions in the SDSU game, especially early in the game. It looked better as the game went on.

JayJ79
September 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I agree. It will depend how how well Grace continues to develop. As well as how the offensive line comes together. The o. line was, IMO, the keystone to UNI's regular season success last year, as it allowed Sanders time to work the passing game, and more importantly, opened holes for C. Lewis to run through.

nmatsen
September 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I echo the sentiments of the OLine. The season (regular) will rest on the UNI offensive line. D right now is phenominal. I don't like the underneath yards we are giving up but if that is what we have to do to win so be it. If the OLine group continues to get better UNI could easily take the first MVC football crown. Much as it took nearly 2 of 3 Gateway crowns that Existed.

Funny, I always figured that if they renamed the Gateway that they would name it the "Panther Conference" or something like that.

mmiller_34
September 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Corey Lewis' moves are unrealistic. xbowx xbowx xbowx

jmc_jackrabbit
September 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Short answer: Pretty good.

D-line is the strength of the team. Grace is a good player, but he's much more dangerous with his feet than his arm. SDSU coaches said he's "jumpy" in the pocket which just means he's not yet comfortable. But he's got the tools and will no doubt continue to get better.

As Grace goes, so goes UNI.

skinny_uncle
September 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
We'll know more after Saturday.
xnodx

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
If he's that mobile of a QB he will give the NDSU Defense fits. Thats one area they have struggled with is mobile QB's xsmhx Last week was an example. Then again last week you could have used any part of our non existent D to model on how not to play defense :(

JayJ79
September 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Corey Lewis' moves are unrealistic. xbowx xbowx xbowx

he's a ninja.
shhhh, don't tell anyone

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Well Grace is a mobile quarterback in the mold of Tim Tebow, not the mold of a Pat White. He is really more of a fullback playing qb.

I think the D line will be able to keep them in any game they play this year. I think as Grace progresses and gets more comfortable they will improve. I think by the end of the year he should be pretty good and the team in general should be performing better. It is this weekend I am worried about!

blueballs
September 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
A little birdy flew by me about a month ago and whistled, "If their o-line plays good they are a national championship quality team."

Mountain Panther
September 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
A little birdy flew by me about a month ago and whistled, "If their o-line plays good they are a national championship quality team."

I thought Hens are flightless?

Thanks, Bluey! xbowx xbowx