PDA

View Full Version : NEC invades Delaware this week!

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Two of the NEC's top teams both head down to Delaware to face 2 playoff teams from last year.

----

Central Connecticut (2-1) vs. (RV) Delaware State (1-1) – Dover, DE (7 pm)

CCSU will face its first-ever MEAC opponent. The Blue Devils head down to DSU after beating NCCU in front of a NEC home-attendance record of 8,322 in New Britain. CCSU also has a win vs. transitional D-I member Bryant and dropped its 2nd game of the season at the Fargodome to previous #1 North Dakota State.

The NEC is 1-2 all-time vs. the MEAC (Monmouth is 1-1 vs. Morgan State, SFPA is 0-1 vs DSU). CCSU has posted wins vs. Georgia Southern and Colgate in past years, and fell 20-10 at Towson last season. The Blue Devils once again rely on a strong rushing attack led by James Mallory. Mallory has posted 100+ yards on the ground in each of Central Connecticut's three games this season. The Buffalo, NY native, who is averaging 7.3 yards per carry, is now ranked second in the nation in rushing. He also ranks sixth amongst all-purpose runners. Mallory is tops in the Northeast Conference in both categories.

CCSU Game Notes - https://admin.xosn.com/fls/17600//football%20game%20notes/08footballnotes.pdf

Albany (1-2) vs. (#17) Delaware (1-2) – Newark, DE (6 pm)

The UA-Delaware rematch is an intriguing game, as the Danes look to go 2-0 all-time vs. Delaware. Albany faces their 4th CAA (and 3rd top-25) opponent this season and have already impressed everyone with two strong showing against top-10 ranked teams in UMass and UNH, and collected the NEC fist ever win vs. a CAA opponent - at Hofstra.

Albany is also paced by a strong rushing game. TB David McCarty (Gansevoort, NY/LaSalle Institute) rushed for 130 yards as he reached the century mark for the ninth consecutive game. McCarty, who ranks fourth among the national FCS rushing leaders at 144.3 yards per game, moved into second on UAlbany's charts with his 11th career 100-yard rushing effort. And the UA passing game is slowing improving under QB Vinny Esposito, who set single-game career highs in passing yards (283) and total offense (305) in the Great Danes’ 32-24 setback at No. 10 New Hampshire. The junior signal caller went 21-of-31 passing to amass the sixth-highest single-game total in UA’s history, and highest output since October 12, 2002.

UA Game Notes – http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/6021.pdf

----
Thought and predictions on both games?

What do games like this mean for the respective teams and the conference?

UAalum72
September 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM
http://members.localnet.com/~hterns/Coach-Ford-crossing-the-Del.gif
From bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com

89Hen
September 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
What do games like this mean for the respective teams and the conference?
I think the first game meant more to Albany, but this year it may mean more to UD. Hens have little room left for losses and with games still remaining @UMass, @JMU and @Richmond... this is a must win for the Hens if they want any shot at the playoffs. Even with the win, it may be a long shot. :(

danefan
September 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think the first game meant more to Albany, but this year it may mean more to UD. Hens have little room left for losses and with games still remaining @UMass, @JMU and @Richmond... this is a must win for the Hens if they want any shot at the playoffs. Even with the win, it may be a long shot. :(

I disagree. I think its a much bigger game for Albany.

Delaware can lose by 100 and still make the playoffs. All they have to do is win the Auto-bid.
Albany loses and they have zero, zilch, nada shot of making the playoffs.

That to me equates to a MUCH bigger game for Albany.

Pitz
September 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Delaware can lose by 100 and still make the playoffs. All they have to do is win the Auto-bid.

Oh, that's all?

Ha.

Rob Iola
September 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Two of the NEC's top teams both head down to Delaware to face 2 playoff teams from last year.

How does a team with a record of 1-2 qualify for the adjective "top"?

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM

I agree. I think UD will come up big this weekend: I'm sure K.C. chewed them out big time after the sloppy loss to Furman, and the Hens know what's at stake. Speaking of sloppy, we're supposed to get some rain over the next couple of days, although it's supposed to clear out by Saturday.

danefan
September 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Oh, that's all?

Ha.

Yes that's all. Just win the AQ. The Albany game and its effect on the W/L means nothing to Delaware.

Now, it may mean a lot to team morale, but that's a different story.

89Hen
September 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Albany loses and they have zero, zilch, nada shot of making the playoffs.

That to me equates to a MUCH bigger game for Albany.
OK, the loser of this game has no realisitic chance of making the playoffs. How about that?

89Hen
September 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Just win the AQ. The Albany game and its effect on the W/L means nothing to Delaware.

Now, it may mean a lot to team morale, but that's a different story.
Delaware can lose to Albany, win out, and not get the AQ thanks to an oversubscribed CAA... and the Albany loss could be in the tie-breaker. xnodx

appfan2008
September 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
good luck to both NEC games and here we go Albany... if you want a chance to get your name out there and receive some votes this year... this is it! GO WIN!

dgreco
September 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
hopefully we walk in with 2 teams and walk out with 2 wins.

Bull Fan
September 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah, all you have to do is win the CAA and get the auto bid. And all I have to do is pick some good numbers for the lottery and I'll live a comfortable lifestyle.

"Just" winning the CAA is real easy..... xlolx

Sorry, this isn't the NEC....

93henfan
September 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM
http://members.localnet.com/~hterns/Coach-Ford-crossing-the-Del.gif
From bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com

Pssst. You do know that Washington crossed the Delaware River from Pennsylvania to New Jersey, don't you? That famous event had zero, zilch, nada to do with the State of Delaware.

UD77
September 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
But the picture looks good.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Whether Albany or Delaware wins I think both teams have a small chance to go to the playoffs, but obviously for very different reasons. Delaware has a rediculously tough schedule with JMU, Richmond, and UMass coming up. I know not much of Delaware this year other than they no longer have Flacco or Cuff. I am sure they will be a tough team as always.

I really think if they lose they will not make the playoffs because they will probably lose to one of JMU, Richmond, or UMass.

Albany of course has no chance of making the playoffs if they lose. However, even if they win they still may not have a very good chance to make the playoffs. They would have to win out, but probably have to hope Delaware wins out too. Because the Delaware win may not look as good if Delaware loses two outta those three or even all three. I mean a win over a 6-6 Delaware team wouldn't be very impressive in my mind, even though they play in the CAA and are a traditional power. But that is just my two cents.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Delaware can lose to Albany, win out, and not get the AQ thanks to an oversubscribed CAA... and the Albany loss could be in the tie-breaker. xnodx

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

In your scenario, wouldn't Delaware then be 9-3 (8 D-I wins) and 8-0 in the CAA? How does that not make the playoffs? You'd be the South Champs. Even if you didn't get the AQ, I'll go out on a limb and say you'll earn an at-large berth.

Pretty good chance you'll grab the AQ at 8-0 as well since only two North teams can even match the 8-0 (UD would beat three of them along the way and one already has two losses).

danefan
September 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Pssst. You do know that Washington crossed the Delaware River from Pennsylvania to New Jersey, don't you? That famous event had zero, zilch, nada to do with the State of Delaware.

Yeah, there was no attempt at historical accuracy here.

It's Fordie leading the troops over the Delaware. That's close enough for me.xthumbsupx

UAalum72
September 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Everybody knows that. So what? You've still got to cross the Delaware River to get to Newark, don't you?

BTW we're not really coming by rowboat either. Or pushing ice floes out of the way. And our uniforms look better than those guys in the boat.

bleedblue
September 25th, 2008, 03:10 AM

In your scenario, wouldn't Delaware then be 9-3 (8 D-I wins) and 8-0 in the CAA? How does that not make the playoffs? You'd be the South Champs. Even if you didn't get the AQ, I'll go out on a limb and say you'll earn an at-large berth.

Pretty good chance you'll grab the AQ at 8-0 as well since only two North teams can even match the 8-0 (UD would beat three of them along the way and one already has two losses).

Scenario's don't mean crap. UD has QB issues. Playoffs are only an outside shot. Nova, Richmond, JMU, UMASS and perhaps UNH are all better than Furman. We will not be able to play like we did against FU and expect to be ahead of those teams come playoff time. UD will loose by more than 2 to those teams if we play like we did last week. We will face much tougher teams than FU so playoffs are an outside shot. I wanna see us get better week to week, that's all. It's a QB world.

DetroitFlyer
September 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Whether Albany or Delaware wins I think both teams have a small chance to go to the playoffs, but obviously for very different reasons. Delaware has a rediculously tough schedule with JMU, Richmond, and UMass coming up. I know not much of Delaware this year other than they no longer have Flacco or Cuff. I am sure they will be a tough team as always.

I really think if they lose they will not make the playoffs because they will probably lose to one of JMU, Richmond, or UMass.

Albany of course has no chance of making the playoffs if they lose. However, even if they win they still may not have a very good chance to make the playoffs. They would have to win out, but probably have to hope Delaware wins out too. Because the Delaware win may not look as good if Delaware loses two outta those three or even all three. I mean a win over a 6-6 Delaware team wouldn't be very impressive in my mind, even though they play in the CAA and are a traditional power. But that is just my two cents.

Albany lose = NO PLAYOFFS

Albany win = NO PLAYOFFS

Mark my words, even if Albany wins on Saturday, the powers that be will keep them out of the top 16 in the rankings, which will keep them from an "earned access" bid. I think this is true even if they sweep the NEC again, which is certainly not in the bag by a long shot!

A NEC team will not be going to the playoffs until 2010.

Now, say a Dayton or San Diego goes 12-0 and Albany goes 10-2 with wins over Hofstra and Delaware.... I would like to see it happen just so the vast corruption in the NCAA would once again be exposed as I do not believe that either a PFL team or a NEC team would receive an at large bid.... We would probably get to enjoy a second OVC, MEAC or PL team as first round fodder....

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Scenario's don't mean crap. UD has QB issues. Playoffs are only an outside shot. Nova, Richmond, JMU, UMASS and perhaps UNH are all better than Furman. We will not be able to play like we did against FU and expect to be ahead of those teams come playoff time. UD will loose by more than 2 to those teams if we play like we did last week. We will face much tougher teams than FU so playoffs are an outside shot. I wanna see us get better week to week, that's all. It's a QB world.

Calm down BleedBlue. I was only commenting on 89Hen's statement that UD could lose to Albany then win out and not make the playoff's. The discussion was about who Saturday's game meant more to, Albany or Delaware.

Albany loses, then no chance for the playoffs. Delaware loses and in theory they can still make the playoffs.

DSUrocks07
September 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM
In other news....

DSU 27 xthumbsupx
CCSU 17

xwhistlex

now back to your regular scheduled program...xlolx

Rob Iola
September 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
In other news....

DSU 27 xthumbsupx
CCSU 17

xwhistlex

I was wondering when you were going to weigh in!

And I quite agree - not only is DSU a quality team with a good QB, but CCSU gets to savor the rich experience that is a MEAC officiating crew...

danefan
September 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Albany win = NO PLAYOFFS

Mark my words, even if Albany wins on Saturday, the powers that be will keep them out of the top 16 in the rankings, which will keep them from an "earned access" bid. I think this is true even if they sweep the NEC again, which is certainly not in the bag by a long shot!

The writing is, unfortunately, on the wall.......xnonono2x

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
If UD had won at Furman last week.. the chances for an Albany upset would have been much greater.. but after last week's subpar performance I expect that the Hens will be ready to play come Saturday evening. Of course if UD doesn't take much better care of the football than they did at Furman.. Albany could very well walk out of the 'Tub' win a win.

DSUrocks07
September 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Question...does playing a transitional program count as a sub-DI game?

danefan
September 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Question...does playing a transitional program count as a sub-DI game?

I think it depends on which year in transition they are in. At some point (2nd year I think) they count as DI wins, but the transitional program still doesn't qualify for playoffs.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I think it depends on which year in transition they are in. At some point (2nd year I think) they count as DI wins, but the transitional program still doesn't qualify for playoffs.

Basically, that it.

Remember year 1 is technically the "exploratory year," which the team counts as a D-II opponent. (That was last year for Bryant)

For the next 4 years they are "transitional," but I’m pretty sure they count as a D-I win for opponents. Of course, they aren’t eligible for the playoffs themselves.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
In other news....

DSU 27 xthumbsupx
CCSU 17

xwhistlex

I'm thinking CCSU escapes with a 28-24 win.

GannonFan
September 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Albany win = NO PLAYOFFS

A NEC team will not be going to the playoffs until 2010.

Now, say a Dayton or San Diego goes 12-0 and Albany goes 10-2 with wins over Hofstra and Delaware.... I would like to see it happen just so the vast corruption in the NCAA would once again be exposed as I do not believe that either a PFL team or a NEC team would receive an at large bid.... We would probably get to enjoy a second OVC, MEAC or PL team as first round fodder....

xwhistlex xrolleyesx

Larryl9797
September 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Dont forget the weather for Sats game... the ground will be soaked and will basically keep both sides to a ground game. Hows DSUs running game?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=19901

DSUrocks07
September 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Dont forget the weather for Sats game... the ground will be soaked and will basically keep both sides to a ground game. Hows DSUs running game?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=19901

All the better. With Strother and Winton...we could have 200+ yards on the ground this week. I would say that our running game is our strong suit.

89Hen
September 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM

In your scenario, wouldn't Delaware then be 9-3...
Actually it was your scenario. xsmiley_wix :p

89Hen
September 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
CCSU gets to savor the rich experience that is a MEAC officiating crew...
That's a low blow... accurate, but low.xoopsx xlolx

89Hen
September 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Now, say a Dayton or San Diego goes 12-0 and Albany goes 10-2 with wins over Hofstra and Delaware.... I would like to see it happen just so the vast corruption in the NCAA would once again be exposed as I do not believe that either a PFL team or a NEC team would receive an at large bid....
I'd love to see that too and watch Albany get one over 10-0 Dayton (remember you have two non-qualifying opponents).

danefan
September 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I'd love to see that too and watch Albany get one over 10-0 Dayton (remember you have two non-qualifying opponents).

And not to belabor the point, but if it came down to Albany at 9-2 with wins over UD and Hofstra and Dayton at 10-0 with a win over Fordham, I think they'd take Albany. xtwocentsx

DetroitFlyer
September 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
And not to belabor the point, but if it came down to Albany at 9-2 with wins over UD and Hofstra and Dayton at 10-0 with a win over Fordham, I think they'd take Albany. xtwocentsx

I hate to disagree, but they would take neither and I would be traveling to Albany for a freezing cold Gridiron Classic....

89Hen
September 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
if it came down to Albany at 9-2 with wins over UD and Hofstra and Dayton at 10-0 with a win over Fordham, I think they'd take Albany. xtwocentsx
You and anyone with common sense. :)

danefan
September 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM

I hate to disagree, but they would take neither and I would be traveling to Albany for a freezing cold Gridiron Classic....

You and I are on the same page. My point was if there were no OVC, Patriot or MEAC teams left with 7 DI wins and Albany and Dayton were the only two FCS teams left on the face of the earth.......;) xrolleyesx

And yes, more then likely you'll be in Albany in December. Which is always great fun.xnodx

Khan4Cats
September 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Actually, they only have one non-qualifier. Campbell counts as they are already Division I in other sports, just haven't had football for 50 years. They are immediately eligible from what I understand.

And I would agree it would be interesting to see that scenario. I think a 9-2 Albany would be tough to pass, but Dayton might just be more tempting for a geographical pairing if a Valley school creeps into the top 4 for seeds.