PDA

View Full Version : Colgate @ Fordham - game thread

Fordham
September 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Alright 'Gate fans, I thought that the first big PL matchup of the year deserved its own thread. Should be a very interesting matchup. I could make a pretty good argument on behalf of both teams.

*Colgate has played a very tough opening skid and may be much more battle tested than we are.

*Scott appears unstoppable.

*We won last year despite starting the game with some huge miscues. With most of our team returning, should we be more likely to win?

*We tend to play our best games against the best teams in the PL.

Any AGS'ers making the trip? I'll likely have my kids there, so it'll make it tough to tailgate much but I'd enjoy catching up for a quick beer with anyone who might be going.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Very interesting game, our first indication of how league play might shape out.

LUHawker
September 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Very interesting game, our first indication of how league play might shape out.

Regardless of how this game turns out, I think we are all in for some surprises in the PL this year. I think every team sans Georgetown could be in the hunt at the end of November and I expect a possible 2 or 3 way tie with each having 2 in-league losses.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Yea there will be alot of parity in the league this year. With Fordham losing to Dayton and HC losing to Harvard it looks like there wont be a run away winner this year. Of course, way too early to tell who might win but all indications point to an open race.

Bull Fan
September 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't see how this is really a big tilt; Colgate looked very unimpressive at Stony Brook. I'm not talking about having an off week, I'm talking unimpressive roster.

If 'gate is in the mix at the end of the year, I'd be shocked.

LUHawker
September 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I don't see how this is really a big tilt; Colgate looked very unimpressive at Stony Brook. I'm not talking about having an off week, I'm talking unimpressive roster.

Any team can have an off day and Colgate is no exception, especially in opening games.

Fordham
September 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Unfortunately for 'Gate fans, it's a pretty typical start for them.

Unfortunately for other PL teams, 'Gate is pretty much always in the mix at the end of year regardless of how they start.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
With the fact that they have been rushing for close to 300 yards per game (i don't have the official stat), i would consider them dangerous vs. any team.

TheValleyRaider
September 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I see Fordham stole my thunder here with a game thread already xmadx ;)

Colgate loses in Week 1. It happens just about every year. Even when we do win, we struggle mightily. Last year's team, the one that was an interception or two less away from the playoffs and a blocked FG away from maybe beating Fordham and winning the League? Arguably should have lost that opener to Albany (the Danes missed 3 FGs!). 2003, the team that went 15-0 and blazed a path to the National Championship Game? They needed a trick play to score the winning TD in the final seconds to beat Georgetown

I expect a high-scoring affair. Both teams can move the ball well, Fordham through the air, Colgate on the ground. Masella is a heck of a coach and he just might have Biddle's number (though it may be a bit early to go that far, he's done quite well in 3 matchups). I tend to prefer a good run game to a good passing game, and so I like our chances of controlling the clock with Scott and Sullivan. Still lots of questions about our defense, though they stepped it up at the end against Dartmouth as the Green got desperate. Maybe turning a corner?

Go...gate
September 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Colgate certainly has made adjustments since the opener, some by choice, some by necessity. I think they are a bit stronger, though the defense is not as good as it has been in past years.

In our league, with weather always a factor after mid-season (even with FieldTurf in some venues), the ability to run helps. Scott and our OL are a major plus in that regard.

Bull Fan
September 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I don't think you're getting my point- adjustments or not, Colgate just doesn't look impressive. Talent-wise.

Go...gate
September 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I don't think you're getting my point- adjustments or not, Colgate just doesn't look impressive. Talent-wise.

I get your point, but sometimes even a moderately talented team can make its mark. :)

ColgateTD
September 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'm going to differ with TVR and go..gate and predict a defensive battle. I see the D of each team rising to the occasion on a slppery - or muddy? - track. Only the ball control running of Scott and our taking time off the clock will prevent the Rams from winning. Final: 'Gate 15, Fordham 12.

"Fordham" - I'd like to join you for that beer but am not making the trip to the Bronx this year..xbawlingx

Fordham
September 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM
...Colgate looked very unimpressive at Stony Brook. I'm not talking about having an off week, I'm talking unimpressive roster...

ah yes, a very difficult point to follow. xrolleyesx xrotatehx

I think you're the one who seems to be missing the point. every year, anyone who sees Colgate play in their first game or two thinks them unfit to compete for a league title. somehow they always seem to be there. credit biddle.

Bull Fan
September 25th, 2008, 07:03 AM
If Colgate is in it at the end of the year, that's an indictment on the league.

letsgopards04
September 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Regardless of how this game turns out, I think we are all in for some surprises in the PL this year. I think every team sans Georgetown could be in the hunt at the end of November and I expect a possible 2 or 3 way tie with each having 2 in-league losses.

Isn't this kind of how it works out every year lately. There are usually two teams at the bottom, 2 or 3 in the middle and two at the top.

LUHawker
September 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Isn't this kind of how it works out every year lately. There are usually two teams at the bottom, 2 or 3 in the middle and two at the top.

Perhaps I should have stated that 3 or 4 could be tied at the top. I think that the top and the middle have largely converged and now the whole league is mediocre.

Fordham
September 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Last year:
Massachusetts 49, Fordham 35 Box score
Bucknell 38, Fordham 24 Box score
Fordham 24, Holy Cross 21 Box score
Fordham 33, Marist Red Foxes 0 Box score
Fordham 34, Lafayette 23 Box score
Fordham 38, Georgetown 31 Box score
Fordham 28, Lehigh 18 Box score
Fordham 34, Colgate 31 Box score
Dayton 31, Fordham 24 Box score
Fordham 27, Columbia 10 Box score
Albany 23, Fordham 20 Box score
Fordham 27, Rhode Island 23 Box score

This year:

Fordham 16 URI 0
Dayton 23 Fordham 20
Fordham 29 Columbia 22

Other than the URI game this year and Marist last year, we have not played in a game that was a blow out or that still was undecided in the 4th Q. Week-in, week-out we play both up and down to the level of our competition.

Expect another close one this Saturday.

Pard94
September 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Yea there will be alot of parity in the league this year. With Fordham losing to Dayton and HC losing to Harvard it looks like there wont be a run away winner this year. Of course, way too early to tell who might win but all indications point to an open race.

For the sake of the mere appearance that you are at all objective, do you think you might wait for Lafayette to lose a game before you completely discount us? We're still in the league and we're still undefeated. Uninspired though you may be by our victories...they still count. Until that changes the chance of a "run away" league champion still exists.

LehighFan11
September 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
For the sake of the mere appearance that you are at all objective, do you think you might wait for Lafayette to lose a game before you completely discount us? We're still in the league and we're still undefeated. Uninspired though you may be by our victories...they still count. Until that changes the chance of a "run away" league champion still exists.

True, I mean only Gtown has a league loss at this point. Holy Cross and Fordham have been considered the favorites by many so the fact that they have struggled would make me think no one will run away with the PL like Fordham did last year. It wouldn't be surprising to me if Lafayette won the league with 2 losses, however it would be surprising to me if Lafayette went undefeated.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM

The league is going to be competitive, as it always is. Lafayette certainly has an excellent chance if they play the way they are capable. They also know how to win, from the HC on down.

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2008, 12:33 PM
We're under 30 hours away from kickoff at Jack Coffey Field in the Bronx, NY

I'm throwing this up early because I won't be around tomorrow. Might be able to keep watch on the game, but not sure at the moment

Colgate Raiders, 2-2 (0-0)
at
Fordham Rams, 2-1 (0-0)

Last Time Out
Colgate - W 34-20 Dartmouth
Fordham - W 29-22 Columbia

All Time Series: Colgate 15-4
Streak: Fordham, 1 Win
Last Meeting: Fordham 34-31 in Hamilton

Media Links provided by GoColgateRaiders.com

Audio from TeamLine:
http://www.teamline.cc/teampage?teamcode=2007

LiveStats from Fordham:
http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mfootbl.html?event=671556&school=ford&sport=mfootbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Video from Fordham through CBS College Sports (appears to be free):
http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ford&media=77525

Next Week
Colgate vs Georgetown (Homecoming)
Fordham Bye

Let's Go 'Gate!

TheValleyRaider
September 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
No changes to the Colgate starting lineup from last week, at least according to our Notes

The Jordan Scott Record Countdown
Career Rushing Yards (Colgate): 206 yards
Career Rushing TDs (Colgate): 8 TDs
Career Scoring (PL): 29 points
Career Rushing TDs (PL): 4 TDs
Consecutive 100 Yard Games (PL): 2 games
Career 100 Yard Games (PL): 2 games
Career Carries (FCS): 15 carries
Career Carries (Division I): 105 carries

WR Pat Simonds needs 1 recieving yards to hit the 1,000 mark for his career

TheValleyRaider
September 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I guess everyone was at the game

I managed to see some of the first half, went to dinner, and came back right after Colgate got the winning TD

Sounds like it was a heck of a game. 2 years in a row we go down to the wire with Fordham. They really seem to do a lot of things right there in the Bronx. Good luck to the Rams the rest of the way xthumbsupx

colorless raider
September 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
One of the best Colgate wins in a long time. Scott is awesome and the defense played better after the first Fordham drive. The team really hung in there and came from behind. Go Gate!

colgate13
September 27th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Good job Colgate! Jordan Scott is running like he's got something to prove. Let's keep focused on one week at a time and this season will turn out all right!

Fordham
September 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Good job Colgate! Jordan Scott is running like he's got something to prove. Let's keep focused on one week at a time and this season will turn out all right!
Gate13, I wish it were under better circumstances but 'welcome back'!

That game was an old fashioned beat down. 90+% of Colgate's offense was made up of about 3 plays at most. They lined up and basically telegraphed what they were going to do and just said 'try and stop it' and we couldn't. That Oline was extremely physical and just pounded the heck out of our guys. Unfortunately for 'gate, your passing game is one of the worst I've seen at this level in a while. More unfortunately for Fordham, it didn't matter. I say that only because a true threat in the passing game could make that an extremely dangerous team imo.

One frustrating thing as a Fordham fan was that we never put in more Dlinemen to try and stop the run and force the QB to move the ball with his arm a bit. We always just had 3 big down linemen and then they'd be supplemented with extra LB's who were ridiculously undersized against that mammoth Oline. Once the Colgate Oline got to our 2nd tier it was over. Again, can't understand why we didn't go to a goalline D and bring in 5 big down linemen.

We had a few miscues and questionable calls from a playcalling standpoint that really could have won the game for us (e.g. - passing it 3 straight times on 1st and goal from the 4 ... the ill advised pass Skelton made on our last possession on 3rd and 2 when he tried to catch your guys unprepared, etc) ... but if we had actually won the game it wouldn't have been because we deserved to have won it. Colgate definitely earned that win.

ColgateTD
September 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Fordham, for the kind words. You have a heck of a team, and with Skelton leading the way, you should make a lot of noise in the PL this year. Hope you can do some damage to help us out..;)

Now that this struggle is in the books we cannot afford to overlook G'town. Need to come to play from the starting gun; can't spot a team 14 points like we did with the Rams and hope to come from behind. The passing game needs to be smoothed out. Knowing Scott and Sullivan are going to run on every play is going to backfire on us if we don't have a legitimate air threat. Seems to me we could make more use of the TE and go for some short passing plays mixed in with longer throws to Simonds. ST's need more work as well.

All in all a great effort in the Bronx, but there is work to be done. Kudos to the O line, and the defense played much better this week. Kudos to Scott, Sullivan and Coach Biddle for a great win..xwhistlex

Go...gate
September 28th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Hey 13 - welcome back!!