PDA

View Full Version : TXST @ UNC - Slycats first hand take

slycat
September 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I went to the game in Greeley on Saturday and wanted to give my thoughts.

First, they serve beer at Nottingham Field. Didn't think this was allowed in the NCAA. Guess I was wrong.

Second, UNC has a very nice campus and stadium. Very cool to see the game with a sold out enthusiastic crowd.

Third, the UNC coeds are freakin hot. You guys have some great tail up there.

Now to the game. God our defense is awful. Just throw slant and curl passes at us all day and you will win. I like Toon bt he forces passes int he red zone, which resulted in a turnover.

UNC has a great QB and the special teams are fast. The punter would kick a bomb and the gunners would almost beat the ball.

The UNC fans I talked with were very nice and had good insight on the team. I only heard one F*** Texas State from a drunk student, so that was nice.

The officials made some weak calls. One was when a UNC receiver clearly pushed off a defender in the end zone but no flag was thrown.

UNC blew it on their final drive by not having hurry up offense and choosing to run a QB sneak for the final play. Even if the fumble wouldn't have ended the game, they wouldn't have had enough time to get out of the pile and run another.

Hats off the the Bears.xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

patssle
September 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
First, they serve beer at Nottingham Field. Didn't think this was allowed in the NCAA. Guess I was wrong.

It is not allowed by the Texas State University System. Which is why there are no beer ads at SHSU or TXST, but SFA does have them but does not serve alcohol.

UNCBears2010
September 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM

Second, UNC has a very nice campus and stadium. Very cool to see the game with a sold out enthusiastic crowd.

It was our first such crowd since about '05. The students pretty much all left at halftime last year, even at the close games. The university has had a big Bear Pride initiative over the last year or so and it seems to be working.

Why, yes we do. Thanks for noticing. The campus is 63% female, ya know.:D

Now to the game. God our defense is awful. Just throw slant and curl passes at us all day and you will win. I like Toon bt he forces passes int he red zone, which resulted in a turnover.

UNC has a great QB and the special teams are fast. The punter would kick a bomb and the gunners would almost beat the ball.

IMO, once he's done with his two years here, if he gets us some wins, Bryan Waggener will be in the conversation with Corte McGuffey (1999 Harlon Hill winner) as the best quarterback in UNC history. Also, I was impressed with Toon and the Texas State coaching staff's handling of him. They didn't make him try to do too much.

The UNC fans I talked with were very nice and had good insight on the team. I only heard one F*** Texas State from a drunk student, so that was nice.

Our fans have always been good in the past, we lapsed for a while, but I think Downing is doing a good job of reconnecting the team with the campus and the community.

The officials made some weak calls. One was when a UNC receiver clearly pushed off a defender in the end zone but no flag was thrown.

That's Big Sky officiating for you. Actually, by their standards, you saw a relatively good game. Be glad you don't have to deal with them all season.

UNC blew it on their final drive by not having hurry up offense and choosing to run a QB sneak for the final play. Even if the fumble wouldn't have ended the game, they wouldn't have had enough time to get out of the pile and run another.

The coaches wanted Waggener to kill the clock, but with all of the confusion, he got crossed up. If he had spiked the ball, I bet we would have gone to that off tackle play with DC Wilson (#26) that worked twice on 4th and short.

Hats off to the Bobcats as well, your fans were great (from what I saw), and your team played hard and got a well-deserved win.xbowx xbowx xbowx

UNCBears2010
September 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM

It was our first such crowd since about '05. The students pretty much all left at halftime last year, even at the close games. The university has had a big Bear Pride initiative over the last year or so and it seems to be working.

IMO, once he's done with his two years here, if he gets us some wins, Bryan Waggener will be in the conversation with Corte McGuffey (1999 Harlon Hill winner) as the best quarterback in UNC history. Also, I was impressed with Toon and the Texas State coaching staff's handling of him. They didn't make him try to do too much.

Our fans have always been good in the past, we lapsed for a while, but I think Downing is doing a good job of reconnecting the team with the campus and the community.

That's Big Sky officiating for you. Actually, by their standards, you saw a relatively good game. Be glad you don't have to deal with them all season.

The coaches wanted Waggener to kill the clock, but with all of the confusion, he got crossed up. If he had spiked the ball, I bet we would have gone to that off tackle play with DC Wilson (#26) that worked twice on 4th and short.

Hats off to the Bobcats as well, your fans were great (from what I saw), and your team played hard and got a well-deserved win.xbowx xbowx xbowx

UNCBears2010
September 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM

UNCBears2010
September 24th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Holy crap! my computer triple posted that!