PDA

View Full Version : James Madison at #16 William & Mary

JMU Duke Dog
October 31st, 2005, 11:00 PM
Well I know both teams are disappointed in recent showings by their teams especially after the success each team had in 2004; however, this is still an in-state rivalry game so both teams should be ready to go as W&M still has a chance to make the playoffs and JMU has a chance to eliminate W&M from playoff contention. The winner will get to have bragging rights for an entire year so this game will still be big for those families and friends divided between these two excellent Virginia institutions of higher learning. Please share your thoughts and comments about this upcoming weekend's game in Williamsburg on this thread.

Here is some information on the JMU-W&M series:
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/Notes.pdf

JMU has played William & Mary more often than any other team (27 times). The teams first met in Williamsburg in 1978 and played there again in 1979. They didn’t meet in 1980 but have played every season since, alternating home fields (except currently because of the Tribe hosting the teams’ NCAA Division I-AA semifinal game last season).

William & Mary leads the series 14-13, but JMU has a 7-5 advantage in games in Harrisonburg. William & Mary leads 9-6 in meetings on its field, but JMU has won the last two Williamsburg meetings – 24-17 in 2003 and 48-34 a year ago in post-season play. William & Mary also won a series road game last season, taking a 27-24 decision in Harrisonburg.

The Dukes were competing at the Division III level during the teams’ first meeting in 1978, and JMU’s board of visitors voted in Williamsburg that day to begin the process of moving JMU to a scholarship-level football program. The Dukes played in Division II in 1979 and moved to Division I-AA in 1980. JMU coach Mickey Matthews has a 5-2 record against the Tribe and is 3-1 in Williamsburg.

TypicalTribe
November 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
I'll be there. Should be a lot of fun under the lights.

This matchup favors the Dukes, but I'm not sure if they're going to bring the necessary emotion.

bluehenbillk
November 1st, 2005, 09:29 AM
I see the Tribe winning. I don't know about a score but the Tribe plays well at home & JMU is just not playing well right now. It could be a close one if JMU goes in wanting to knock a rival out of the playoffs. However, if they're still hanging their heads over their 3-game losing streak, it could be a substantial win.

WMTribe90
November 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM
JMU has the better defense. WM has the better offense, but the Dukes power running game could be a problem. WM has the better kicking game and the homefield advantage. Like the playoffs last year, turnovers and momentum will be huge. Matthews is sandbagging to the press, stating the Dukes have no senior leadership and are to banged up to win this game, etc...

I'm not buying it, its a rivalry game, I expect the Dukes to show up.

Eaglegus2
November 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM
JMU will be charged up to knock W&M out of the playoffs. The win would put a stop to the losing streak.

Tribefan
November 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know if this game will be televised?

Tribe4SF
November 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
The outcome here is anybody's guess. Amazing that we're 8 games deep and neither team knows what to expect from itself.

I noticed Mickey's comments about how banged up the Dukes are, but the depth chart doesn't look much different to me from week one. I know LC Baker is out, but who else is missing?

Tribefan
November 1st, 2005, 09:41 AM
I think W&M will be charged up and fighting for their playoff lives. This is revenge game too.

ngineer
November 1st, 2005, 12:58 PM
This one comes down to one thing--mental toughness. JMU's season has gone in the toilet. If they can get back up and make this a statement for themselves, then they can win. But, if their heads are somewhere else, this could be a blowout.

WMTribe90
November 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM
T4SF,

I thought the same thing after looking at JMU's depth chart. I believe the are missing a center or two and their starting TE. All things considered JMU is about as haelthy as anyone for this time of year.

If this game were in Harrisonburg I wouldn't give us much of a chance the way we've played on the road thus far this season. At home its probably a 50-50 proposition, but wh really knows.

Tribe4SF
November 1st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Agree, 90. Being banged up the first week in November is par for the course. Mickey is either sandbagging, or just offering excuses.

JMU Duke Dog
November 1st, 2005, 05:22 PM
After watching the Dukes play as poorly as they did this past weekend at home for homecoming against an alright Richmond team, I have no idea what is going on with the JMU football team. There are many possible explanations for the undoing of the Dukes in 2005 but that in itself should be saved for another thread. Unfortunately I think W&M wins this one big in Williamsburg this upcoming Saturday night under the new Zable Stadium lights. After having bragging rights after the national semifinal, I think the Tribe including my younger brother will have bragging rights at least until the fall of 2006.

blur2005
November 1st, 2005, 05:38 PM
After watching the Dukes play as poorly as they did this past weekend at home for homecoming against an alright Richmond team, I have no idea what is going on with the JMU football team. There are many possible explanations for the undoing of the Dukes in 2005 but that in itself should be saved for another thread. Unfortunately I think W&M wins this one big in Williamsburg this upcoming Saturday night under the new Zable Stadium lights. After having bragging rights after the national semifinal, I think the Tribe including my younger brother will have bragging rights at least until the fall of 2006.
I haven't completely given up on this Dukes team. They have the horses. There's just a major lack of intensity and focus. Turnovers in critical situations especially. We also need to run the damn ball. It was working alright against Richmond, then we started throwing more and more. I look at the games we have won vs. the games we have lost, and I see two entirely different teams. One was playing with confidence and focus, with the necessary intensity to win. The other team had no offensive identity, and didn't make any plays at crucial times.

JMU Duke Dog
November 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Here is a related article from today's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767889758&path=%21sports%21colleges&s=1045855934926

Close isn't enough for JMU
Dukes are 0-4 in games that are decided by a touchdown or less compared to 5-1 in '04

by John O'Connor

The Division I-AA king isn't dead, but he sure is feeling poorly.

Defending national champion James Madison heads to William and Mary this weekend with a three-game losing streak and a dashed dream. The Dukes won't qualify for the 2005 playoffs after absorbing their fourth loss Saturday (18-15 to Richmond).

"A lot of people in tears," Matt Magerko, JMU's All-America offensive lineman, said of the Dukes' postgame locker room.

Madison coach Mickey Matthews said Monday "We're a better football team than we were last year, in terms of talent."

Not in the kicking game. Not in the offensive line. Not depth-wise. Matthews added those asterisks. But overall, he remains convinced that overall, this 4-4 team has better players than the one that went 13-2 in 2004.

"We're just out of sync," Magerko said. "We just haven't come together like we did last year."

Madison won five of six games decided by a touchdown or less last season. Apply that standard this year, and the Dukes are 0-4. Matthews noted the "intangibles" supplied by last year's seniors and said JMU continues to search for that nebulous component this season.

"We've got some very good players who are older kids, but not a lot of leaders," he said.

JMU's backbone will be tested Saturday night, when the Tribe (3-2 in the A-10, 5-3) tries to amplify its playoff credentials in the first game under permanent lights at sold-out Zable Stadium. These programs met in the I-AA semifinals last December. With a 44-38 win under portable illumination trucked in for TV coverage, Madison advanced to the title game.

Another loss for W&M, and its 2005 postseason window closes, too. The Tribe brings a sense of urgency. Madison? A sense of disappointment it will attempt to overcome. Matthews recognizes that his Dukes could "get embarrassed down there in a hurry" if they don't resurrect emotionally after three consecutive losses by a total of 12 points.

JMU Duke Dog
November 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

James Madison (4-4) at No. 16 William & Mary (5-3), 7:00

In a year where numerous teams are hard to figure, few teams are as unpredictable as William & Mary. The Tribe whipped New Hampshire and ran all over Towson, but proceeded to give up huge chunks of yardage in ugly road losses to Rhode Island and Villanova. Northeastern almost knocked off William & Mary as well, but that fourth-quarter comeback win has the Tribe within reach of a playoff berth. To stay in the race after this week, the Tribe needs to do a better job stopping the run. Northeastern and Villanova are hardly known for their rushing attack, but both had a nice day against William & Mary. James Madison is playing out the string after losing three straight games and falling out of the playoff picture. But the Dukes haven’t been terrible in any of their losses, and could at least salvage something by keeping a rival out of the postseason as well. James Madison should be able to move on the Tribe defense. William & Mary should find success on the ground as well against a James Madison defense that has taken steps back in the last couple of weeks. And playing at home in the first regular season night game gives the Tribe added motivation. But this season continues to be unpredictable, and the Dukes could be in line for a better effort one of these weeks. James Madison does it this week, and eliminates another Atlantic 10 team from any realistic hope at a playoff spot.

Prediction: James Madison 28, William & Mary 20

Spider
November 4th, 2005, 10:49 AM
JMU......BEAT BILL & THE OLD GIRL....

bostonspider
November 4th, 2005, 10:58 AM
naww I want both W&M and UR to win the next two, so that the game on the 19th at UR Stadium is basically a playoff game. Makes life more fun that way.