PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Week 5

letsgopards04
September 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
There wasn't a Patriot League thread for this week so I am starting it.

1) Holy Cross vs. Georgetown - Does G'Town have a better chance with Holy Cross since they throw more and aren't a grind it out team? I'll still take HC.
2) Lehigh vs. Princeton - Simply based on last years result I will take Princeton in a close one.
3) Pennsylvania vs. Lafayette - It's HC so the 'Pards get my vote.
4) Fordham vs Colgate - If Fordham can keep their mistakes to a minimum they will pull out a tough win.

LUHawker
September 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Holy Cross vs. G'Town: Yale put up 47 points; I think HC could top that. HC

Lehigh @ Princeton: There aren't many believers in the Engineers this year, but maybe this week starts to change that tone - Lehigh

Penn @ Lafayette: Lafayette is still a bit of an unknown quantity at this point. Penn handed them a W last year, and I'm sure they'd like to get it back. Penn in a tight one.

Fordham-Colgate - Colgate is fortunate to be 2-2 at this point. I think Fordham gives Colgate loss #3

LUHawker
September 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Holy Cross vs. G'Town: Yale put up 47 points; I think HC could top that. HC

Lehigh @ Princeton: There aren't many believers in the Engineers this year, but maybe this week starts to change that tone - Lehigh

Penn @ Lafayette: Lafayette is still a bit of an unknown quantity at this point. Penn handed them a W last year, and I'm sure they'd like to get it back. Penn in a tight one.

Fordham-Colgate - Colgate is fortunate to be 2-2 at this point. I think Fordham gives Colgate loss #3

Fordham
September 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Holy Cross
Princeton
Lafayette
Fordham

Any 'Gate posters making the trip this Saturday?

LCFan21
September 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Holy Cross
Princeton
Fordham
Lafayette

TheValleyRaider
September 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
A tough 2-3 last weekend puts me at a still respectable, though somewhat unimpressive, 12-6 on the season

Holy Cross at Georgetown Holy Cross The Crusaders have twice now come up just short against tough competition. The Hoyas rallied for a nice opening win, and have since been beaten well-enough by tougher competition. Holy Cross gets their first win of the year against one of their Jesuit rivals

Pennsylvania at Lafayette Pennsylvania Lafayette is 2-0 so far, but against decidely weaker opponents than a team likely in the mix for the Ivy title. The road team has had the success in this series lately, and the Ivies in general (sans Columbia, that is) have had the success against the Leopards. I'll take the Quakers again here

Colgate at Fordham Colgate Both teams have looked shaky at times, and while Colgate's deficiencies have arguably come in the face of better opponents, Fordham's schedule hasn't been terrible either. Fordham's offense has been their strength, but I'm hoping a heavy dose of Jordan Scott (and Greg Sullivan?!?) on the ground will control the clock enough for a Raider road win. Should be a great matchup, and the biggest game of the Patriot League so far this year

Lehigh at Princeton Princeton Admittedly, I don't know what to make of Lehigh this year. They're clearly rebuilding their program from the heights of the late 90s/early 2000s, but may not reach those heights again due to the improved competitiveness of the League. Drake was a well-played win, and Villanova was a tough loss to a decidedly better team. Princeton looked good for a half in taking it to The Citadel, and while Lehigh has a good record against Princeton to work with, I'll guess the Tigers squeeze one out at home

Ken_Z
September 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
There wasn't a Patriot League thread for this week

with the Bison taking the week off, i am sure carney realized such a thread was pointless.

LUHawker
September 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
A tough 2-3 last weekend puts me at a still respectable, though somewhat unimpressive, 12-6 on the season

Just for the record I'm 14-4 for the season. Technically, I didn't publicly post Colgate-SB in week 1, but I would have taken the Raiders, so I'm taking the hit on that. But I'm getting better each week.

Week 1 0-1
Week 2 5-2 (Coastal cost me one there)
Week 3 4-1
Week 4 5-0

Seasont-to-date total 14-4

bison137
September 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Holy Cross
Princeton
Penn
Fordham

I'm 13-4 so far. Was 4-1 this past week, with Bucknell - a pick with the heart - the only miss.

carney2
September 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Apologies for dropping the ball and not getting this thread started. I have been out of internet range for almost a week.

HOLY CROSS @ GEORGETOWN
I'm pulling for the Hoyas to make some noise this year after seeing them up close and personal a week ago. Unfortunately, the only noise in this affair will be the repeated explosions by Air Randolph.

Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE
The 85th meeting in this series and the first Curse game of 2008. The gods unwrap their Maroon pinata and offer it up to the Ivies for the sacred battering in a game that is really quite winnable for the Pards.

COLGATE @ FORDHAM
I have no idea. Went with the home team. The loser will be digging himself a bit of a hole.

LEHIGH @ Princeton
A vocal few on the Squawk board are advocating dropping the program to D-III. I don't see anything in this battle of PL and Ivy also-rans to shut them up.

KenZ has purchased tickets to the BUCKNELL Bye game and expects the Buffalos (or is it Buffaloes? I'll check with Dan Quayle.) to give a good account of themselves. He is asking for directions to the Bye stadium.

LehighFan11
September 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
I enjoy how every Lehigh fan has picked Lehigh and every Lafayette fan has picked Lafayette eventhough both teams are clear underdogs.

HC
Penn
Fordham
Princeton

ColgateTD
September 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Holy Cross
Penn
Colgate
Princeton

Record: 13-5

No, "Fordham," I for one will not be making the trek to the Bronx this w/e..

Carney2 is the Bomb..xbowx

carney2
September 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
I enjoy how every Lehigh fan has picked Lehigh and every Lafayette fan has picked Lafayette

Every?

LehighFan11
September 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Every?

Ah true I see that now, my bad.

Franks Tanks
September 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I enjoy how every Lehigh fan has picked Lehigh and every Lafayette fan has picked Lafayette eventhough both teams are clear underdogs.

HC
Penn
Fordham
Princeton

I dont understand how Lafayette is a clear underdog, we beat em last years and we are quite a bit better this year I believe.

colorless raider
September 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Holy Cross
Princeton
Lafayette
Fordham

Any 'Gate posters making the trip this Saturday?

Count me in:)

LehighFan11
September 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I dont understand how Lafayette is a clear underdog, we beat em last years and we are quite a bit better this year I believe.

Well just by the fact Penn took Nova into OT and the fact that the Ivy will probably dominate the Pl this year. Lafayette might be even money with Penn because it is @ Laf, but Penn should be the favorite.

Franks Tanks
September 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Well just by the fact Penn took Nova into OT and the fact that the Ivy will probably dominate the Pl this year. Lafayette might be even money with Penn because it is @ Laf, but Penn should be the favorite.

Did you consider perhaps Nova is a middle of the road CAA team and Lehigh just isnt all that good? This is also a strong possibilty-- we shall find out soon enough though I suppose.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Gotta take the Crusaders over the 'rocks'. Can G'town keep it within 24?

Lehigh at Princeton should be close to the wire...I'm going with Lehigh's special teams to pull this out 27-24 over 'PU';) Love the venue. Best in FCS.

Penn/Lafayette game last year was a weird one (8-7 I believe?). Lafayette has won easily but against two teams they should have won easily. Penn, otoh, played a very good Villanova team tough. 'Nova has an excellent offense with multiple weapons and for Penn to shut them down, better than either West Virginia or Lehigh could do, LC's offense will be strongly tested. At same time, game is at Fisher, with what should be a good crowd (unless rain comes acalling..a possibilty). I'm taking the Quakers 21-20.

In the battle of the Maroons, Fordham seems to have their act together better than the Red Raiders at this time of year, though both teams have had self-inflicted tendencies. FU will say CU to the Biddlemen, 28-24.

letsgopards04
September 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM

With the starting QB situation decided early I would say we are in a way better position than last year. Although I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in last year's win which the Penn coach gave to us if my memory serves me right.

letsgopards04
September 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I must be insane but I think G'Town may keep it within 14 against the cross if they expand their playbook to maybe 10 plays. G'Town is small so they get pushed around by large running teams. Holy Cross will throw it a lot which may help the Hoyas in the long run. They could just rush 2 or 3 and drop everyone else in coverage with the occasional blitz thrown in. I am primed for an upset. Everyone get prepared to rip on me when Holy Cross wins by 35+.

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM
With the starting QB situation decided early I would say we are in a way better position than last year. Although I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in last year's win which the Penn coach gave to us if my memory serves me right.

That is up for debate--either way the game was very close last year and I feel we are quite a bit better then last year at this point in the season. An experienced Curley is a clear upgrade over the QB situation last year in the Penn game, and we have most of the same skill players.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Did you consider perhaps Nova is a middle of the road CAA team and Lehigh just isnt all that good? This is also a strong possibilty-- we shall find out soon enough though I suppose.

Yea Lehigh isn't very good, same with the entire PL. The PL's performance has been very bad. Villanova is a top 25 team for a reason. They return alot of players from last year's team that beat Delaware. So, given that Penn gave them a great game, I'd tend to think Penn is a solid team. Lehigh is playing the "worse" team in Princeton but since it is on the road both Lehigh and Lafayette will lose. I'd like nothing more than to see Lehigh beat Princeton and Cornell before they get destroyed by Fordham, Harvard, and Holy Cross, but i dont know.

LUHawker
September 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM

This is a very distinct possibility. I was at the Lehigh-Villanova game and despite the clear victory, Villanova was hardly impressive. I think that bore itself out again at Penn, particularly with QB Young being benched. He didn't look great against LU either.

Unlike all of the LC posters, I'm not sure we LU fans are ready to throw in the towel after two games. Forget the Drake game - can't even consider that Clark's first game. While all teams should improve throughout the year, I expect more improvements from Lehigh's offense given that it is quite young and inexperienced. The question is really is it a matter of talent or experience. I don't have an answer yet.

I still think that Lehigh's defense is quite a good unit. Some may point to the Nova game to argue otherwise, but the D held Nova's offense to 2 TD's and 4 FG's, 2 of which were 40+ yarders. All of this after the offense turned the ball over 4 or 5 times and left them on the field for 82 plays.

Still, Lehigh is clearly not top caliber.

That being said, my LC friends seem to be awfully big for their britches after wins only against Marist and G'town - and those wins were not exactly overwhelming. No matter what happens, we'll still see each other in late November. Hey, for once could you LC guys dial up a sunny afternoon for that game? I can't remember the last time the sun was out at Fisher for LU-LC.

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2008, 12:04 PM
This is a very distinct possibility. I was at the Lehigh-Villanova game and despite the clear victory, Villanova was hardly impressive. I think that bore itself out again at Penn, particularly with QB Young being benched. He didn't look great against LU either.

Unlike all of the LC posters, I'm not sure we LU fans are ready to throw in the towel after two games. Forget the Drake game - can't even consider that Clark's first game. While all teams should improve throughout the year, I expect more improvements from Lehigh's offense given that it is quite young and inexperienced. The question is really is it a matter of talent or experience. I don't have an answer yet.

I still think that Lehigh's defense is quite a good unit. Some may point to the Nova game to argue otherwise, but the D held Nova's offense to 2 TD's and 4 FG's, 2 of which were 40+ yarders. All of this after the offense turned the ball over 4 or 5 times and left them on the field for 82 plays.

Still, Lehigh is clearly not top caliber.

That being said, my LC friends seem to be awfully big for their britches after wins only against Marist and G'town - and those wins were not exactly overwhelming. No matter what happens, we'll still see each other in late November. Hey, for once could you LC guys dial up a sunny afternoon for that game? I can't remember the last time the sun was out at Fisher for LU-LC.

You are correct-- really we dont know all that much about either team, I am speculating. I think this weekend will clear things up a bit as both of our squads face traditional opponents. If both of us win, both team should have pretty decent teams and season. If Lafayette loses I will gladly eat my words. I just hope the weather hold out so we get a good look at what the teams can do.

jdb037
September 24th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Holy Cross at Georgetown 31-13
Pennsylvania at Lafayette 13-10
Colgate at Fordham 17-6
Lehigh at Princeton 28-24

14-3

LeopardFan04
September 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Looks like my earlier post didn't make it through:

Holy Cross
Princeton
Lafayette
Fordham

carney2
September 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
for once could you LC guys dial up a sunny afternoon for that game? I can't remember the last time the sun was out at Fisher for LU-LC.

November 18, 2006 - LC 49, LU 27
November 20, 2004 - LC 24, LU 10
November 23, 2002 - LC 14, LU 7

Gorgeous sun filled days, one and all. We hope to keep 'em coming.

LUHawker
September 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
November 18, 2006 - LC 49, LU 27
November 20, 2004 - LC 24, LU 10
November 23, 2002 - LC 14, LU 7

Gorgeous sun filled days, one and all. We hope to keep 'em coming.

No, seriously, actual sun rays.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Hey it could snow, sleet, rain, hail, i dont care as long as we win.

Pard94
September 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM

I promise you...that thought never entered his mind.

letsgopards04
September 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM

No seriously the '02 game was sunny. But it is November in the Northeast it is gonna be cloudy. At least it hasn't been as cloudy as the '00 game at Fisher Field. That year was god awful (game and weather).

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
No seriously the '02 game was sunny. But it is November in the Northeast it is gonna be cloudy. At least it hasn't been as cloudy as the '00 game at Fisher Field. That year was god awful (game and weather).

True-- That was an excellent Lehigh Team however. They went on the road a week later and destroyed Westtern Illinois by 30 in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Holy Cross 45 Georgetown 6: Georgetown is terrible. Randolph should have a big game after last weeks so-so effort

Lafayette 24 Penn 20: If this game was at Penn i'd go with the Quakers. But since it's at Fisher i'll go with the 'Pards.

Colgate 31 Fordham 21: For some reason i don't really believe in the Rams. They've been less than impressive to start the year. I think Colgate will hand the ball to Scott enough to grind out a solid "W".

Lehigh 28 Princeton 13: Lehigh was able win last year 32-21 in Princeton. Lehigh's defense should contain the Tigers just enough to give the offense good field position to put up some points.

Record 14-4

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Holy Cross 45 Georgetown 6: Georgetown is terrible. Randolph should have a big game after last weeks so-so effort.

Let's call it "offensively challenged". When you average 8 points a game, wins (and recruits) get harder to come by.

Ken_Z
September 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
HOLY CROSS 35 @ GEORGETOWN 7: Crusaders take mercy on their bretheren and don't roll up the score toooo much.

Pennsylvania 14 @ LAFAYETTE 24: a win that will make carney go crazy. wait a minute, he is already crazy, what will this do to him?

COLGATE 49 @ FORDHAM 45: triple ot thriller

LEHIGH 17 @ Princeton 24: bad loses to mediocre. the debate rages on on the Lehigh board.

also, thanks to carney for the directions to Bye stadium. i understand he made it there last week without a hitch, but got lost on the way home.

LBPop
September 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I must be insane but I think G'Town may keep it within 14 against the cross if they expand their playbook to maybe 10 plays. G'Town is small so they get pushed around by large running teams. Holy Cross will throw it a lot which may help the Hoyas in the long run. They could just rush 2 or 3 and drop everyone else in coverage with the occasional blitz thrown in. I am primed for an upset. Everyone get prepared to rip on me when Holy Cross wins by 35+.

Why wait for the Saturday night rush?

RIP! RIP! RIP! :p :( xsmhx xbawlingx

bison137
September 25th, 2008, 04:01 PM
COLGATE 49 @ FORDHAM 45: triple ot thriller

At the risk of provoking a Carney comment, I have a question about this score. As near as I can tell, the only way a team can win by 49-45 in the third OT (when teams must go for two) is the following scenario:

Score is 43-43. Colgate scores a TD, Fordham intercepts the two-point conversion try and runs it back for two - making the score 49-45. Fordham is then stopped.

Is that the scenario you are predicting?

If it were a first or second OT, I can think of another scenario. Score tied at 42-42. Colgate gets the ball first and gets a TD and kicks the PAT for a 49-42 lead. Fordham brings Carney down from the stands to coach. Coach Carney then attempts a successful FG to lose the game 49-45.

Note that this scenario would not work in the opposite order since Colgate would not kick the PAT to get them up to 49 if Fordham had already kicked a FG.

LBPop
September 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM
At the risk of provoking a Carney comment, I have a question about this score. As near as I can tell, the only way a team can win by 49-45 in the third OT (when teams must go for two) is the following scenario:

Score is 43-43. Colgate scores a TD, Fordham intercepts the two-point conversion try and runs it back for two - making the score 49-45. Fordham is then stopped.

If it were a first or second OT, I can think of another scenario. Score tied at 42-42. Colgate gets the ball first and gets a TD and kicks the PAT for a 49-42 lead. Fordham brings Carney down from the stands to coach. Coach Carney then attempts a successful FG to lose the game 49-45.

Note that this scenario would not work in the opposite order since Colgate would not kick the PAT to get them up to 49 if Fordham had already kicked a FG.

That would be a brilliant move assuming that Coach Carney had Fordham +5. xlolx

carney2
September 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Consider the source.

With you bringing this up, exactly who has KenZ's back? It's a sorry time indeed when I may actually be the best friend he has on this board.

Fordham
September 25th, 2008, 07:54 PM

xlolx xthumbsupx

hc12
September 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
HC 55-24
Penn 24-17
Fordham 24-21
Princeton 17-14

LehighFan11
September 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM

I guess i was wrong.....Lehigh is -1.5 and Lafayette is -4....i have no idea how

carney2
September 25th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Here's what the professionals have to say:

HOLY CROSS by 17 1/2 over GEORGETOWN

LAFAYETTE by 4 over Pennsylvania

FORDHAM by 1 over COLGATE

LEHIGH by 1 1/2 over Princeton

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Here's what the professionals have to say:

HOLY CROSS by 17 1/2 over GEORGETOWN

LAFAYETTE by 4 over Pennsylvania

FORDHAM by 1 over COLGATE

LEHIGH by 1 1/2 over Princeton

Obviously, these professionals have never seen a Patriot League game. If I were a betting man, let's just say I'd put a Ben Franklin on Ben Franklin.

And yes, another 8-7 victory by the 'Pards would work for me in that context.

Ken_Z
September 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM
my gosh, i have serious doubts that i picked the winner correctly and you guys are all over me cause i'm definitely going to get either the score or whether it is 3 ots wrong. and carney, are you indicating there is some possibility you are not my best friend on the board? i'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED i tell you. and as for 137, he is always just trying to stir up trouble.

bison137
September 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Consider the source.

With you bringing this up, exactly who has KenZ's back? It's a sorry time indeed when I may actually be the best friend he has on this board.

I'm not attacking my friend KenZ. With this being the Patriot League, it may turn out that he has the ending of the game predicted perfectly. The 49-45 scenario would be no less implausible than Bagnoli snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by taking an intentional safety to set up LC's winning FG in the final seconds.

carney2
September 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I'm not attacking my friend KenZ.

Sounds like the "vote of confidence" that George Steinbrenner used to give to his managers. Duck and cover, KenZ.

CrusaderBob
September 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Getting in late today.

Last Week: 4 - 1
This Year: 12 - 5

The Picks

Holy Cross over Georgetown
Princeton over Lehigh
Lafayette over Penn
Fordham over Raiders of the Ladies Dorms

And a Bonus Pick ...

Insane over Letsgopards04!! xlolx xrotatehx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm not attacking my friend KenZ. With this being the Patriot League, it may turn out that he has the ending of the game predicted perfectly. The 49-45 scenario would be no less implausible than Bagnoli snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by taking an intentional safety to set up LC's winning FG in the final seconds.

You must spread rep points around before....

Here are my picks, by the way (and explanation) in this blog posting:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/friday-water-cooler-princetons-culture.html

And don't forget my Lehigh prediction on the blog:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/preview-of-lehigh-vs-princeton.html

Lehigh 31, Princeton 24

Bogus Megapardus
September 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM
HC 55-24
Penn 24-17
Fordham 24-21
Princeton 17-14

Inversely prescient.

hc12
September 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Inversely prescient.

ABSIT INIURIA VERBIS