PDA

View Full Version : Jax State at Eastern Illinois

JaxSinfonian
September 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
Always a big game. Not always played so early in the season. The loser of this one will be playing catch up and watching the other team for the rest of the season.

Both teams are 2-0 in impressive performances against FCS competition this year, though only the Panthers have earned respect in the polls so far.

Discuss.

Cocky
September 23rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
This is a huge early season game. Maybe the most important game so far if your using playoff implications as the gauge. The loser maybe out of the running. There is a little Tenn State team and EKU team that still have a little say in the automatic playoff team from the OVC.

Panthers_Blue
September 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Always a fun game to watch. Winner will clearly have a step over the rest of the conference. It's going to be interesting to see if Jax St can stop EIU's run.

Cocky
September 23rd, 2008, 07:29 AM
I think you will see a much improved team over the last few years.

JaxSinfonian
September 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
It's going to be interesting to see if Jax St can stop EIU's run.

It'll be just as interesting to see if EIU can stop the Gamecocks on the ground. It's early yet, but JSU is leading the OVC in rushing offense, at 219 ypg. EIU is last in rushing defense, at about 217 ypg. (EIU is 4th in rushing offense at 131.5 ypg, JSU 6th in rush D at 189 ypg.)

Looking at other conference stats (http://www.ovcsports.com/fls/6200/stats/football/2008/confldrs.htm) so far raises more interesting thoughts. The teams are Nos. 1 & 2 in turnover margin, EIU at +6, JSU at +4. EIU's Bess & JSU's Jackson are 1st & 2nd in rushing yards, 94.5 & 94.5, respectively. The Panthers would seem to have something of an edge on special teams.

OL FU
September 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
Always a big game. Not always played so early in the season. The loser of this one will be playing catch up and watching the other team for the rest of the season.

Both teams are 2-0 in impressive performances against FCS competition this year, though only the Panthers have earned respect in the polls so far.
Discuss.

A JSU win and you may replace the Panthers or join them probably depending on the margin of victory.

Most of us have been waiting on you to play a quality FCS Team (no offense to Chatt or A&M)

Gamecocks99
September 23rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
This week JSU turns the corner and the whole package comes together !

bigbluetiger
September 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Should be a good game, I hope both teams lose. xlolx

Gamecocks99
September 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks for those up lifting words. xlolx We look forward to having youas guest at Paul Snow the last game of the year. I hope you guys bring lots of fans w/ you. It should be a great game !

Gamecocks99
September 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks for those up lifting words. xlolx We look forward to having you as guest at Paul Snow the last game of the year. I hope you guys bring lots of fans w/ you. It should be a great game !

Gamecocks99
September 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks for those up lifting words. xlolx We look forward to having you as guest at Paul Snow the last game of the year. I hope you guys bring lots of fans w/ you. It should be a great game !

Panthers_Blue
September 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
EIU will most likely use a heavy dose of Chavon Walker. He is about 3 times faster than Bess and is a monster. I really hope EIU plans to get him in open space and let him work. At ISU last week they kept him between the tackles and they were ready for him.

Can't wait for this game.

bigbluetiger
September 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM

The TSU Atlanta Alumni is already planning bus trips.

MoreheadEagle
September 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I have no horse in the race but I do wish that the OVC brass would try to save some of these big games till the end of the season so there is more interest. It's the same in basketball. The rivals should close the season with one another.

I'll say EIU by 7.

Cocky
September 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
If JSU and TSU win out the brass look like geniuses for moving that game.

Panthers_Blue
September 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction.

EIU by 10

Gamecocks99
September 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I have no horse in the race but I do wish that the OVC brass would try to save some of these big games till the end of the season so there is more interest. It's the same in basketball. The rivals should close the season with one another.

I'll say EIU by 7.

WWW.5Dimes.com has The Game Even

Jacksonville State at Eastern Illinois
9/27/2008
2:30 PM (EST)
1347 Jacksonville State pk -1201.833
1348 Eastern Illinois pk -1201.833

Cocky
September 24th, 2008, 09:52 AM
JSU by 21

Panthers_Blue
September 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM
JSU by 21

Whoever wins it will be closer than 21

Gamecocks99
September 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Whoever wins it will be closer than 21

Agreed ! JSU turns the corner & Wins by 10 !

Gamecocks99
September 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Perrilloux combines Juice and Romo

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2008/09/24/sports/doc48db04a22969d957711236.txt

Key for the EIU defense is All-American end Pierre Walters, who had two sacks in last week’s 25-21 win over Illinois State and is tied for first in the OVC averaging 2.0 per game.

“Pierre Walters is an NFL-bound defensive end and Jeff Sobol is an Illinois transfer,” Crowe said. “Those two guys inside are as good as anybody. I think they are all OVC.”

Spoo is looking for them to play that way Saturday against Perrilloux.

“We need to get pressure on him trying to maintain your rush lanes,” the EIU coach said. “I don’t think any quarterback is as effective under pressure.”

Maybe not even the combination of Juice and Romo.

__________________________________________________ _____________
And the EIU's D has been weak against the run ?

Gamecocks99
September 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Perrilloux combines Juice and Romo

Key for the EIU defense is All-American end Pierre Walters, who had two sacks in last week’s 25-21 win over Illinois State and is tied for first in the OVC averaging 2.0 per game.

“Pierre Walters is an NFL-bound defensive end and Jeff Sobol is an Illinois transfer,” Crowe said. “Those two guys inside are as good as anybody. I think they are all OVC.”

“We need to get pressure on him trying to maintain your rush lanes,” the EIU coach said. “I don’t think any quarterback is as effective under pressure.”

__________________________________________________ _____________
And the EIU's D has been weak against the run ?

Gamecocks99
September 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM

“They have all kinds of weapons,” Bellantoni said. “We’re in trouble.”

At least Eastern regains the services of linebacker Nick Nasti, who after a knee injury in the season opener at Central Michigan missed the past three games for the Panthers, who are now 2-2 with No. 20 and No. 21 rankings in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision going against 2-1 Jacksonville State.

__________________________________________________ __________

And they have a weak D against the run ?

hawkeye
September 26th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction.

EIU by 10

Thats about right. Glad both of you are coming to Martin this year. I love flying under the radar like we did in 2006. xwhistlex

colonelblitz
September 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thats about right. Glad both of you are coming to Martin this year. I love flying under the radar like we did in 2006. xwhistlex You all lose to EKU... xsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
At least Eastern regains the services of linebacker Nick Nasti

What a name for a linebacker. That's too much.

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I haven't seen Perrilloux play at Jacksonville State but he certainly hasn't been putting up eye popping stats. He's 67th in FCS passing efficiency. He's 88th in passing yards per game with 141 per. He's averaged 44 yards per game rushing. His yards per carry average, at 4.4, is very solid but not spectacular.

Nothing to suggest from his stats that he has been a truely dominant player at the FCS level so far. You sure wouldn't look at his stats and have him, if you'd never heard of him before, pop out as a top FCS quarterback.

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
As far as the game goes:

When I look at the scores and who they've played it's real hard to know where they are. Illinois State is probably the best victory between the two but it's hard to say how good Illinois State is this year. Meanwhile Jacksonville State's loss to Georgia Tech doesn't look so bad right now but the two teams the Gamecocks have beaten soundly don't look real strong.

I guess if I had to pick I'd pick EIU playiing at home and with what appears to be the "highest quality" win between the two.

JaxSinfonian
September 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
23-10 Jax State, final.

It was 21-0 at the half. After a ho-hum first series, JSU scored on three straight offensive possessions, on drives of 90, 99 and 88 yards.

The second half was sluggish for the JSU offense, as has been the case in the last two games. The only second-half points came on a safety early in the third quarter.

EIU's lone touchdown came off a blocked punt in the third quarter.

The win over the #21 Panthers was JSU's first over a ranked team since beating #3 Northwestern State in 2002, and comes after seven losses to ranked opponents in the interim (Three of those losses were to EIU - series is now tied at 3-3).

JSU racked up 482 yards on offense, 281 of them via the arm of Ryan Perrilloux, who was 20-25 with two picks and one score. The Gamecocks got 203 yards on the ground, With Alphonso Freeny and Daniel Jackson both picking up 68, followed by Tremayne Coger at 35. Freeny is the fourth different player to lead the Gamecocks in rushing in four games (Perrilloux vs. Ga. Tech, Jackson against AAMU, Coger vs. Chatty).

EIU's Bodie Reader was 19-32 for 206 yards and one INT. So how did JSU handle the Panthers' rushing attack? EIU had a net 20 yards on the ground.

Hopefully JSU can crack the top 25 this week after two thrashings of non-conference FCS teams followed by the crucial road win over an in-conference top-25 squad. Sadly, with EIU's loss and Tenn. St. going down to FAMU, JSU could be the only ranked OVC team come Monday.

hawkeye
September 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
You all lose to EKU... xsmiley_wix

Will be glad to see you come to Martin.

EIU86
September 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
JSU prettty much dominates the game. The score doesn't reflect how dominant JSU was. RP looked very good today short of a couple int's in the second half. Hard to see anyone beating JSU in the OVC if RP stays healthy.

hawkeye
September 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
JSU prettty much dominates the game. The score doesn't reflect how dominant JSU was. RP looked very good today short of a couple int's in the second half. Hard to see anyone beating JSU in the OVC if RP stays healthy.

Really? Watch.:D

JaxSinfonian
September 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Really? Watch.:D

Just noticed the Skyhawks' score tonight, and that was an impressive 63-38 whuppin' of Murray State. I think I will have to wait until after the text two games before declaring Martin a contender, however. Scheduling NAIA Baker and Concordia (whatever organizational affiliation they claim) is no way to earn respect, regardless of the score.

I'm glad the UTM-JSU game is televised, though. I just learned that my cable company has finally picked up ESPNU, so I will be watching!

hawkeye
September 27th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Just noticed the Skyhawks' score tonight, and that was an impressive 63-38 whuppin' of Murray State. I think I will have to wait until after the text two games before declaring Martin a contender, however. Scheduling NAIA Baker and Concordia (whatever organizational affiliation they claim) is no way to earn respect, regardless of the score.

I'm glad the UTM-JSU game is televised, though. I just learned that my cable company has finally picked up ESPNU, so I will be watching!

You guys get a lot of respect after today. Great job in beating Eastern Ill.

Cocky
September 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Really disappointed in our 2nd half performance. This team is capable of playing a lot better. We need to start playing 4 quarters not 2.

Panthers_Blue
September 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Very good game by JSU. Much respect was earned. EIU is going to need some help now.