PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings---Week 4

JALMOND
September 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
As we get close to the end of September, I have to say that there are still a lot of unknowns out there, even within the Big Sky conference. As teams close out the non-conference slate (very few FBS and DII games left) we can now try to see how the conference will play out. Weber State and Sacramento State got the conference underway last week with a thrilling game in Sacramento. If that is how the conference will be all year, we are all going to be thoroughly entertained, and the winner will have definitely earned it. Here is this week's power rankings...this week (last week);

1. Montana (1)---Making it interesting, huh Grizzlies? A thrilling come from behind win against UC-Davis at home keeps the Griz on top. This was to be a rebuilding year, yet the Griz are poised to enter conference play unbeaten. They just need a win this week against DII Central Washington. Hoping it is not as interesting of a game as...

2. Eastern Washington (2)---End of the third and the Eagles, having thrown two scares at teams from the Big 12, were tied with DII Western Washington. Only three scores in the fourth made this look like the blowout everyone thought it would be. Eagles reading too much press releases perhaps. This week conference play begins with Idaho State coming to town. You know what could happen if you snooze again?

3. Weber State (3)---To kick off conference slate, the Wildcats went to Sacramento where they had not won since 1998 and eeked out a win against the Hornets. Always great to get a win to start conference play, especially on the road. This week, a venture to FBS and in-state rival Utah, who's also been getting some recognition lately. Conditions ripe for an upset?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---The Jacks got just enough to edge Southern Utah on the road last week. A win is a win, no matter how you get them. This week a trip to Greeley to face a hurting Northern Colorado squad. Just remember, a win is a win, no matter how you get them, especially within conference on the road.

5. Montana State (6)---The only conference team that did not play this past week. Taking advantage of Sacramento State's loss to Weber State to move up one spot. This week, transitional team South Dakota comes to Bozeman looking for a statement. The Coyotes had a good showing earlier against Northern Iowa, can they throw a scare into the Bobcats?

6. Sacramento State (5)---Last week a hard-fought game with conference rival Weber State led to a loss. The Hornets were hoping for a win, especially at home, but could not pull it off. This week, the run and shoot from Portland State comes to Sacramento. Can the Hornets right the ship and get back on the winning track?

7. Northern Colorado (8)---A strong showing in a loss to Texas State moves the Bears up one notch. The game was there until the end. Heartbreaking loss for the Bears, yet positive play for a team on the upswing. This week, Northern Arizona comes to town. A win to start the conference schedule would be quite a statement for this Bears team.

8. Portland State (7)---Yes, the Vikings did step up to the FBS level last week and lost, but the FBS team was Washington State, one of the worst teams in FBS this year. Bad FBS team against a bad FCS team and the FCS team gets blown out. The Vikings will try to get healthy, mentally and physically before they go to Sacramento to play Sac State.

9. Idaho State (9)---The Bengals had twelve days to prepare for North Dakota playing at home and still found a way to lose the game. A futile effort in the fourth to try and get the win was lost. The good is that playing on Thursday gives them two extra days to prepare for the game at Eastern Washington this week. But will it really matter?

GolfingGriz
September 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
I feel that there is starting to be some seperation in the top 3, but conference play starting will surely close the gap. I also think the difference between 4 and 9 is smaller than most people would think. I would be very surprised if any team could run the table this year.

putter
September 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
The only team that has not shown anything IMO is ISU. They have a chance this week playing Eastern but I think that the Sky is going to be interesting this year.

Wolfman
September 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
The only team that has not shown anything IMO is ISU. They have a chance this week playing Eastern but I think that the Sky is going to be interesting this year.

What are you smoking? ISU will lose by 20 points or more to EWU.

uofmman1122
September 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
What are you smoking? ISU will lose by 20 points or more to EWU.For once, Wolfie and I agree on something.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
I'll pull for Weber this weekend, but I think their chances are gonna be pretty slim to pull off the upset.

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'll pull for Weber this weekend, but I think their chances are gonna be pretty slim to pull off the upset.

The Utes have a short week after the Weber game, having to play Oregon State that Thursday. You wouldn't think they would "overlook" their little in-state brother but the situation is right. You never know.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
The Utes have a short week after the Weber game, having to play Oregon State that Thursday. You wouldn't think they would "overlook" their little in-state brother but the situation is right. You never know.

AGS for sure, but I think they will try and stick it to McBride a bit. But at the same time, McBride should want to stick it to them a bit more. The problem is, Utah is pretty good this year. I don't think they can pressure the Ute QB like they did the Hawaii QB and get him rattled. Johnson can scramble too well and has a good run game to help him. It's not impossible, just a tall order. I'll pull for them, would cause some serious shock waves around here :D

Peems
September 23rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
The Cats are the team I have the most questions about. This will be the most competitive game they have played thus far and will again be a non counter. The Cat's can only lose one conference game to be eligible for the playoffs(barring they don't win the auto) and who knows what they've got, considering they have yet to play a full fledged FCS squad.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
What are you smoking? ISU will lose by 20 points or more to EWU.

I sure hope so. Not if our defense takes another week off. I'm pretty sure it was just a case of not respecting a lower-division opponent and getting a reality check (much like we did to Tech and CU). I agree though, should be over before halftime (xprayx).

EWU 42
ISU 20

I Bleed Purple
September 23rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
Uh, no, Weber State will not beat Utah. Yes, Utah's offense is better than Hawaii's by a lot, but it's the defense that's got me worried. This'll be Higgins worst day. Somewhere around three picks. Maybe a couple of touchdowns, but the percentage will be his lowest. Two touchdowns, max. 40s-10s, in my estimation. 45-17?

The good thing is that the game with Utah will make the game with Montana seem easy. That's the big game. I'm excited for that one. The only trepidation I have is reading Wolfman's woe is Montana that employs Hauck after WSU wins.

I Bleed Purple
September 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Uh, no, Weber State will not beat Utah. Yes, Utah's offense is better than Hawaii's by a lot, but it's the defense that's got me worried. This'll be Higgins worst day. Somewhere around three picks. Maybe a couple of touchdowns, but the percentage will be his lowest. Two touchdowns, max. 40s-10s, in my estimation. 45-17?

The good thing is that the game with Utah will make the game with Montana seem easy. That's the big game. I'm excited for that one. The only trepidation I have is reading Wolfman's woe is Montana that employs Hauck after WSU wins.

I Bleed Purple
September 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM

The good thing is that the game with Utah will make the game with Montana seem easy. That's the big game. I'm excited for that one. The only trepidation I have is reading Wolfman's woe is Montana that employs Hauck after WSU wins.xpeacex

biobengal
September 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
I don't expect a lot of defense to be played in the ISU-EWU game. ISU is ranked 116th in total defense, EWU is 118th. I expect a high scoring affair.... 45-31 EWU.