18. Massachusetts Minutemen............2-2..........870....9
19. Villanova Wildcats.................2-1..........863...19
20. South Dakota State Jackrabbits.....2-2..........773...12
21. Eastern Illinois Panthers..........2-2..........754...22
22. Western Illinois Leathernecks......2-2..........743...20
23. Tennessee State Tigers (1).........4-0..........576...25
24. Georgia Southern Eagles............2-2..........544...16
25. Liberty Flames.....................3-0..........431...23

Others receiving votes: Harvard 331, Youngstown State 276, Northern Arizona 273, Yale 251, Jacksonville State 224, Hampton 106, San Diego 71, Prairie View 59, William & Mary 50, Brown 44, Florida A&M 43, Holy Cross 38, Penn 30, Weber State 28, Sam Houston State 22, Eastern Kentucky 14, Southeastern Louisiana 13, Lafayette 10, Sacred Heart 9, Delaware State 8, South Carolina State 8, Norfolk State 5, Princeton 4, Tennessee-Martin 4, Montana State 1, North Dakota 1,.

JMUSaxMRD
September 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I would just like to point out Richmond is number 1 by 2 points... interesting and very very very close.

montanafan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
No Love for the Griz. Oh, well it is still early.

Eight Legger
September 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Surprised it is only a 2-point margin, to be honest. It is tough to jump 4 teams in one week, but JMU almost did it. If that Duke game was close at all, I think JMU would be #1 right now.

gophoenix
Elon is far too high.
Furman is too low.

I hate having to answer questions about how we always have teams with losing records in our poll, but I guess there is no way around it.

On another note, when was the last time a private school was #1?

bostonspider
Interesting that the final numbers were so close when UR had 12 more 1st place voters. Many people who voted JMU #1 must have had UR at 3.

danefan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Others receiving votes: Harvard 331, Youngstown State 276, Northern Arizona 273, Yale 251, Jacksonville State 224, Hampton 106, San Diego 71, Prairie View 59, William & Mary 50, Brown 44, Florida A&M 43, Holy Cross 38, Penn 30, Weber State 28, Sam Houston State 22, Eastern Kentucky 14, Southeastern Louisiana 13, Lafayette 10, Sacred Heart 9, Delaware State 8, South Carolina State 8, Norfolk State 5, Princeton 4, Tennessee-Martin 4, Montana State 1, North Dakota 1,.

This is laugable. I just about crapped myself. Is Albany not eligible for this poll? Not one vote? Not one?

Sacred Heart with 9 votes? San Diego with 71!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're kidding me. Is this a mistake or something?

nmatsen
September 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
I am not saying that UNI should be higher, I am not so sure that they even belong as high as they are. BUT... To see that we have a team that is 1-2 as number 3 and to have a team that got SMOKED BY DUKE at number 2 is terrible!

LarryBoy
September 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Elon is far too high.
Furman is too low.

I hate having to answer questions about how we always have teams with losing records in our poll, but I guess there is no way around it.

Furman was #1 for a week toward the end of '05. The Eaglets put an end to that one.

Looking forward to a great matchup in a couple of weeks, Phoenix fans! You've come a long way in a very short time.

montanafan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
This is laugable. I just about crapped myself. Is Albany not eligible for this poll? Not one vote? Not one?

Sacred Heart with 9 votes? San Diego with 71!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're kidding me. Is this a mistake or something?

Your number one in my book Danefan. Keep up the good work and before long you will make it. xrulesx

UNHWildCats
September 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM

I know, pretty pathetic.

danefan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Having glaring mistakes (even if they are in the ORV category) makes the poll worthless IMO.

Who votes for this poll? We know there are voters that vote in both AGS and TSN. This is ridiculous.

IaaScribe
September 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Central Arkansas and The Citadel both jump eight spots? WTF?

danefan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Can't wait for the coaches poll. Albany probably gets a (-10) in the ORV category.

IaaScribe
September 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
And Albany receiving no votes is criminal. And San Diego with 71 and Dayton with none?

IaaScribe
September 22nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
And who the heck is voting Tennessee State No. 1? Ridiculous.

danefan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
And Albany receiving no votes is criminal. And San Diego with 71 and Dayton with none?

I missed Dayton not getting any votes. That ridiculous also.

I hate polls.

Eight Legger
September 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Wow...can't say that I disagree with any of these comments. Tennessee State #1??? COME ON! That voter should be banned for life. Sacred Heart is equally absurd. I am not putting Albany in my top 25 yet, but certainly it (and Dayton to a lesser extent) is right there on the cusp -- or should be.

mcveyrl
September 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Wow...can't say that I disagree with any of these comments. Tennessee State #1??? COME ON! That voter should be banned for life. Sacred Heart is equally absurd. I am not putting Albany in my top 25 yet, but certainly it (and Dayton to a lesser extent) is right there on the cusp -- or should be.

I agree. Didn't have Albany in my Top 25 (they were in at 25 and dropped out), but they are right there.

I want to see the ballot of the person that voted TSU number one...

Syntax Error
September 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Tennessee State Tigers (1)????? No 3-0 Dayton votes either??? Looks like the homers have it, just need to get more NEC and PFL voters in.

smallcollegefbfan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I hate calling people out but who honestly thinks UNH is better than JMU, Richmond, ASU, or Montana? I have a feeling the voter in the AGS poll voting for UNH #1 is the same person as the TSN poll. Same thing with TSU. They are 4-0 and top 25 for sure but nowhere near #1.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
I thought Delaware fell too far. Lost by two points, on the road, at a top 25 team, in a tough stadium to win.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I hate calling people out but who honestly thinks UNH is better than JMU, Richmond, ASU, or Montana? I have a feeling the voter in the AGS poll voting for UNH #1 is the same person as the TSN poll. Same thing with TSU. They are 4-0 and top 25 for sure but nowhere near #1.

Tennessee State with a #1 vote, IMO is NOT an outlandish pick.

They destroyed last year's OVC champ and SWAC champ in consecutive weeks. Heffner is playing better than ANY FCS quarterback in the country.

Will you all feel the same way if they beat Eastern Illinois this weekend that it's an "outlandish" pick?

You want outlandish? How about Georgia Southern being in the Top 25 with COMEBACK wins against Northeastern and Austin Peay? How about The Citadel jumping up 9 points with a win over Princeton?

Other than that, though, I don't have too much of a problem with this list. FCS just simply seems loaded top to bottom this year.

umassfan
September 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
A 9 spot drop because of a loss to TT... come on now that is stupid

appfan2008
September 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

I had them number one in the ags poll

JmuSkinsfan
September 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Well, assuming UR and JMU win the games they need to win the next two weeks ... it looks like we will have a #1 v. #2 match-up on our hands Oct. 11...

Coaches:

#1: JMU
#2: UR

TSN:

#1: UR
#2: JMU

Very interesting

Screamin_Eagle174
September 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM

That's almost how far EWU dropped when we lost as well... and EWU played them better IMO.

colorless raider
Elon is far too high.
Furman is too low.

Forget Umass, no defense.

montanafan
I had them number one in the ags poll

Thanks Appfan. I hope we get the chance to play you guys before AE leaves for the pros. That would be a great game.

xbeerchugx

colorless raider
September 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM

AGREED

Screamin_Eagle174
Well, assuming UR and JMU win the games they need to win the next two weeks ... it looks like we will have a #1 v. #2 match-up on our hands Oct. 11...

Coaches:

#1: JMU
#2: UR

TSN:

#1: UR
#2: JMU

Very interesting

It's still a ways out to be making that call, but I agree it is interesting. Likewise, if EWU and Montana each win their next couple games (which is pretty likely), Oct. 11 would match up no. 3 and no. 4 or 5, depending on what other teams do.

smallcollegefbfan

They destroyed last year's OVC champ and SWAC champ in consecutive weeks. Heffner is playing better than ANY FCS quarterback in the country.

Will you all feel the same way if they beat Eastern Illinois this weekend that it's an "outlandish" pick?

You want outlandish? How about Georgia Southern being in the Top 25 with COMEBACK wins against Northeastern and Austin Peay? How about The Citadel jumping up 9 points with a win over Princeton?

Other than that, though, I don't have too much of a problem with this list. FCS just simply seems loaded top to bottom this year.

TSU is nowhere near #1 and nobody can make an argument that they should be ahead of JMU, App, Richmond, or Montana. They are a top 25 team for sure and I could see as high as 18 or 19 but they have not proven they can beat or even hang with a top 10 team this year. If they beat EIU badly I would say they should be top 20 but not top 10 as of yet.

DetroitFlyer
September 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM

I guess that San Diego's big victory over the mighty Campbell Camels really caught the voters attentionxnodx . You know, Dayton defeating the defending Patriot League champion, Robert Morris and Division II Central State simply cannot hold a candle to San Diego's impressive wins over Marist, Azusa Pacific and Campbell.... Sacred Heart....

Wow, it does not seem as though the poll voters are even trying.

So here is the lesson Albany fans.... You need more Campbell and less UNH!xlolx

As for my Flyers.... I guess we will have to go 12-0 before any of the bright minds in this poll realize that we have a good team again in 2008.... Bummer!

JMU2K_DukeDawg

I agree, it's stupid, but many other teams are playing good football. Start winning in the conference, especially against UR and Delaware and the votes will follow.

I am also surprised that App St. did not fall more. I would think a 3-0 Montana would be ahead of 1-2 App St. xnonono2x Although, I still believe ASU to be the better team... xwhistlex (THANK GOD FOR PLAYOFFS!)

As far as the Duke comments that JMU will hear all year long, I was commenting before the game how it was a must win for FCS credibility. If JMU wins out somehow, an incredible feat, it would be laughed at by the ESPN people. All that publicity from App St. beating Michigan swept under the rug in one quick season of having a National Champion with a loss from Duke. :o Just the way it will be reported in the media, no matter how much better Duke is this year, and they are...

Still, most Duke fans though we were going to win that game until the interception after the 60 yd kickoff return in the 2nd half. Set up a quick TD. Then we fumbled deep in our own territory for another quick TD. Karma - what we didn't do vs. Duke in the second half, we did vs. App St. and I believe App St. is a better team. C'est la vie! xoopsx

CID1990
I was about to invalidate this ranking because I didn't see The Citadel anywhere in there. I guess this is because since 1992 I have been used to looking for them on the bottom half of the list rather than on the top half.

That being said, I don't think that we are much better than 13th. We are possibly not that good. In fact, until we play WCU this weekend and then ASU the following weekend, I really won't know if our defense can stop the run. It is hard to tell after playing Webber, clempson and Princeton.

Also, I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that I suspected this early in the season and in the preseason, but now I am almost sure of it.... Furman might well be the best team in the SoCon this year. They might possibly win the title outright, but I am willing to lay down good money that they will be in the top 2. Elon is ranked too highly, BTW.

Eight Legger
September 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
So you think that beating ASU should vault you four spots since they are such a great team, but you think they are not that great a team and should fall more than 3 spots themselves? Explain that one to me again...

montanafan
September 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
It's still a ways out to be making that call, but I agree it is interesting. Likewise, if EWU and Montana each win their next couple games (which is pretty likely), Oct. 11 would match up no. 3 and no. 4 or 5, depending on what other teams do.

That could be a very interesting weekend for both the East Coast and the West Coast. I my self am looking forward to coming over to Chenny and seeing what you guys are made of and to be honest I am a little scared.

xazzx xazzx xflaggedx

furman94
September 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
WHY HAS THE CITADEL JUMPED 8 SPOTS? A win over WEBBER, a win over PRINCETON, and a loss to CLEMSON! #13? WTF? How do these wins justify anything in the FCS realm? Princeton isn't necesarilly the best FCS program, and Webber is Webber... Overrated?

LarryBoy
September 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
WHY HAS THE CITADEL JUMPED 8 SPOTS? A win over WEBBER, a win over PRINCETON, and a loss to CLEMSON! #13? WTF? How do these wins justify anything in the FCS realm? Princeton isn't necesarilly the best FCS program, and Webber is Webber... Overrated?

Patience, patience...conference play is gearing up. The Citadel and all of us will be exposed as contenders or pretenders very quickly. This poll is pretty meaningless right now and will look very different in two or three weeks.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
That could be a very interesting weekend for both the East Coast and the West Coast. I my self am looking forward to coming over to Cheney and seeing what you guys are made of and to be honest I am a little scared.

xazzx xazzx xflaggedx

For sure... Oct. can't come fast enough (unless our defense performs like S*** Saturday and we squeek by again... then Oct. 11 can wait! xlolx

Hit me up when you and other Montana AGSers head over- I'd love to drink some beers with you hicks! xlolx xbeerchugx

PS: Fixed the spelling for ya. xthumbsupx

citdog
September 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM

54-51 you mealy mouthed upstate mill worker scum!

54-51

montanafan
September 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
For sure... Oct. can't come fast enough (unless our defense performs like S*** Saturday and we squeek by again... then Oct. 11 can wait! xlolx

Hit me up when you and other Montana AGSers head over- I'd love to drink some beers with you hicks! xlolx xbeerchugx

PS: Fixed the spelling for ya. xthumbsupx

Thanks for the spelling lesson, we hicks have a hard time with easy words you know. Just kidding. I just hope you guys give us a few touch downs to start so we have something to give up later in the game. This game could very easily also be for #1 in the country. This could get interesting.

xdizzyx

furman94
September 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Citdog,You're at our house this year, Princess! Guess what! The number 6 team in the nation just lost there! Hope you have a fun journey up here!

RazorEdge19
September 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM

54-51

28 - 7

Since citdog seem so intent on living in the past...

UNI Pike
September 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM

All OVC teams should be capped at 15 in the poll until they win a playoff game. Last playoff win was 2000 for Western KY, now FBS. Otherwise, last win was 1994.

ElonPride
September 22nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Elon may be ranked to highly and the voters may be looking to deeply at the team right now....as in putting up almost 700 offensive yards versus Presby and over 500 offensive yards at Georgia Southern. Beating GSU at Paulson is a tough task, but I don't think Elon deserved to be bumped into the top 10, probably should be around the mid teens.

It will be a heck of a race in the SoCon - App, Wofford, El Cid, Furman, Elon and POSSIBLY GSU all have a shot!

Screamin_Eagle174
September 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the spelling lesson, we hicks have a hard time with easy words you know. Just kidding. I just hope you guys give us a few touch downs to start so we have something to give up later in the game. This game could very easily also be for #1 in the country. This could get interesting.

xdizzyx

I doubt that very much... JMU, App, or Richmond would have to have a pretty lopsided loss or two considering UM and EWU won't be playing ranked teams until they meet up. If neither team loses before Oct. 11, I'd say we'd be playing for no.2 or no. 3 IMO. It'll be one hell of a Western shootout though!

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM

#4 with 12 #1 votes=no love??xeekx

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
At this point UNH is too high

montanafan
September 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
#4 with 12 #1 votes=no love??xeekx

We were #4 last week with App State and UND at #1 & #3 respectively and they both lose and we did not go up one spot? That in my book equals no love.

xasswhipx

OL FU
September 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM

54-51

54-30-3xlolx xlolx xlolx xmadx

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM

Easy answer. FBS money games.

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
And who the heck is voting Tennessee State No. 1? Ridiculous.

WTF?!?!?!?! xmadx

mainejeff
September 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Anyone else besides Maine playing #1 and #2 on consecutive weekends?

IaaScribe
September 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
WTF?!?!?!?! xmadx
Never mind. Misunderstood your post.

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM

Yeah. The SWAC and OVC champ? WGAF???? Also don't care if they beat EIU, they are NOT the best team in the whole country. Not even Top 10. Absurd.

93henfan
September 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Anyone else besides Maine playing #1 and #2 on consecutive weekends?

Well, it's not back to back, but we are @ JMU on Nov 1 and @ Richmond on Nov 15. Aye carumba!

BEAR
September 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM

What? Don't you get the whole Bear thing yet?? C'mon...they gotta hpye up the program so Tulsa can get a good bowl game....geez...doesn't anyone know about the politics of football??? xreadx xlolx

CopperCat
September 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
This poll is jacked up.xeyebrowx

katstrapper
September 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
This poll is jacked up.xeyebrowx

I agree with you!!! Prarie View is ahead of Sam Houston?xlolx xlolx

SkinsWizDukes
September 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Well, it's not back to back, but we are @ JMU on Nov 1 and @ Richmond on Nov 15. Aye carumba!

JMU played #3 UMASS and #1 App St. in back to back weeks.

Jerbearasu
September 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Here you go. I'm willing to throw mine out there. Feel free to pick it apart.

1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. James Madison
4. Northern Iowa
5. Appalachian St.
6. Wofford
7. New Hampshire
8. Furman
9. McNeese St.
10. North Dakota St.
11. Cal Poly
12. Delaware
13. South Dakota St.
14. Eastern Washington
15. Southern Illinois
16. Villanova
17. Elon
18. The Citadel
19. Massachusetts
20. Georgia Southern
21. Central Arkansas
22. Youngstown St.
23. Eastern Illinois
24. Liberty
25. Harvard
W. James Madison
L. North Dakota St.

uofmman1122
September 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
JMU played #3 UMASS and #1 App St. in back to back weeks.UMASS shouldn't have been #3, but it's still an impressive win.

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
I am not saying that UNI should be higher, I am not so sure that they even belong as high as they are. BUT... To see that we have a team that is 1-2 as number 3 and to have a team that got SMOKED BY DUKE at number 2 is terrible!

And you have a team at #1 that was smoked by 1-2 UVA who's worse than 2-1 Duke (USA Today has Duke 6.5 point favorites over UVA this weekend.

Neither UR's or JMU's ACC losses really matter now.

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
I agree, it's stupid, but many other teams are playing good football. Start winning in the conference, especially against UR and Delaware and the votes will follow.

I am also surprised that App St. did not fall more. I would think a 3-0 Montana would be ahead of 1-2 App St. xnonono2x Although, I still believe ASU to be the better team... xwhistlex (THANK GOD FOR PLAYOFFS!)

As far as the Duke comments that JMU will hear all year long, I was commenting before the game how it was a must win for FCS credibility. If JMU wins out somehow, an incredible feat, it would be laughed at by the ESPN people. All that publicity from App St. beating Michigan swept under the rug in one quick season of having a National Champion with a loss from Duke. :o Just the way it will be reported in the media, no matter how much better Duke is this year, and they are...

Still, most Duke fans though we were going to win that game until the interception after the 60 yd kickoff return in the 2nd half. Set up a quick TD. Then we fumbled deep in our own territory for another quick TD. Karma - what we didn't do vs. Duke in the second half, we did vs. App St. and I believe App St. is a better team. C'est la vie! xoopsx

I made it to most of the JMU games last season, and the only one I've missed this season is UMass, which I saw a recording of. Last season UNC was the best team JMU faced. This season so far (and I believe this will hold up for the rest of the season) Duke has been the best team JMU has faced.