PDA

View Full Version : Visiting team with more fans?

grayghost06
September 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
It's entirely possible if JMU & Richmond keep winning prior to their game on Oct.11. Richmond has averaged 6200, 7300 ( included a JMU game) & 6100 fans the last 3 years. Combine that with the Spiders having their fall break that weekend, and you may see more purple than red in the stands at UR Stadium- think Texas @ Rice or Tennessee @ Vandy... At a minimum, the Dukes fans will be louder than the "Red Sweaters" who do make the game and we'll have our band there to boot...Bring on the Spiders!

th0m
September 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
I'd say, bring on the Black Bears first. Lets not overlook any CAA opponents.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM
It's entirely possible if JMU & Richmond keep winning prior to their game on Oct.11. Richmond has averaged 6200, 7300 ( included a JMU game) & 6100 fans the last 3 years. Combine that with the Spiders having their fall break that weekend, and you may see more purple than red in the stands at UR Stadium- think Texas @ Rice or Tennessee @ Vandy... At a minimum, the Dukes fans will be louder than the "Red Sweaters" who do make the game and we'll have our band there to boot...Bring on the Spiders!

xcoffeex

There will be plenty of people wearning Red and there will be plenty of people wearing purple. Many of the people wearning Red will be loud too.

Haven't we beaten this one to death already?

Grizalltheway
September 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Griz fans often outnumber the home team's fans, and we have a lot farther to travel than Harrisonburg to Richmond.

Ronbo
September 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
Griz fans often outnumber the home team's fans, and we have a lot farther to travel than Harrisonburg to Richmond.

It's impressive to see a Portland State stadium with 15,000 announced and half the stadium has maroon on. That's 500 miles from Missoula.

Sonic98
September 23rd, 2008, 01:26 AM
That's not a surprise. When we play on the road, we often have more fans that the home crowd. It's very rare that we don't have a big road following. Even when we played USM we had a lot of fans in the house.

93henfan
September 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
Delaware at Villanova is always priceless.

Delaware usually brings 5-10 thousand to Navy as well.

Penn State at Temple @ Lincoln Financial is always comical. You're lucky to get 10,000 Temple fans out of the 65,000 at that "home" game.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
i am sure this topic will have some people getting their feelings hurt... at some point...

spdram
September 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
How many times, and ways, does JMU want to bring up this topic -- okay we're a small school, we have a small, but loyal following, JMU may well have more (and even louder fans) at "the" game. But the fans don't play, it's the teams on the field -- I'm happy with the Spiders team, I like our chances.

More importantly, we play Villanova this weekend and VMI the following weekend. I think we'll concentrate on Nova first, the Keydets second and then we'll focus on the Dukes.

elon77
September 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
How many times, and ways, does JMU want to bring up this topic -- okay we're a small school, we have a small, but loyal following, JMU may well have more (and even louder fans) at "the" game. But the fans don't play, it's the teams on the field -- I'm happy with the Spiders team, I like our chances.

More importantly, we play Villanova this weekend and VMI the following weekend. I think we'll concentrate on Nova first, the Keydets second and then we'll focus on the Dukes.

Early, way early prediction, Spiders 28 Dukes 20 xnodx

grayghost06
September 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I think what I've never been able to appreciate is why Richmond cannot sustain decent attendance at their football games. They have had their years where they've averaged 10,000 or so, but lately it has dipped to the 6-7000 range in spite of some high quality teams. I think a fair comparison could be made with the Citadel...Both are FCS schools with small enrollments located in mid-sized cities ( 100,000-200,000). Both used to play I-A until 1982, still play in top level conferences with attractive schedules and have 20K seat stadiums. Both deal with FBS teams in the state that draw a lot of fans. So Car is 2 hrs/ Clemson is 4 hrs. For Richmond, UVA is 1 hr and VT is 4 hrs. Is it really that recent UR grads live elsewhere, like NJ and Conn as was stated earlier? Somehow the Citadel manages to get solid support despite similar obstacles.

grayghost06
September 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
I think what I've never been able to appreciate is why Richmond cannot sustain decent attendance at their football games. They have had their years where they've averaged 10,000 or so, but lately it has dipped to the 6-7000 range in spite of some high quality teams. I think a fair comparison could be made with the Citadel...Both are FCS schools with small enrollments located in mid-sized cities ( 100,000-200,000). Both used to play I-A until 1982, still play in top level conferences with attractive schedules and have 20K seat stadiums. Both deal with FBS teams in the state that draw a lot of fans. So Car is 2 hrs/ Clemson is 4 hrs. For Richmond, UVA is 1 hr and VT is 4 hrs. Is it really that recent UR grads live elsewhere, like NJ and Conn as was stated earlier? Somehow the Citadel manages to get solid support despite similar obstacles.

grayghost06
September 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Oops, sorry bout the double post. Didn't think it went through

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Every SU Swac game, with the exception of Jackson State, but that has even happen in the past. Strange thing you brought that up there is a article in the BR advocate where Alcorn's coach is talking about SU's fan base taking over Alcorn's campus xlolx .

Alcorn coach: SU fans 'arrogant and cocky'
http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/su+alcorn+092308.jpg
MARK SALTZ/The Advocate

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter

First-year Alcorn State coach Ernest Jones labeled Southern’s fans as “arrogant and cocky” Monday during the Southwestern Athletic Conference’s coaches teleconference.

“Southern is cocky and arrogant,” said Jones, who played football at Alcorn State. “They’re going to mount up and take over our campus starting Thursday night.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/29501214.html?showAll=y&c=y

griz&beer
September 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
The game at EWU this year will be half Griz fans.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM

This has been discussed so many times on here.... 'Why is Richmond only building a 9,000 seat on campus stadium?' ... that the only way your commentary can be responded to is this way:

xdeadhorsex

See you on the 11th.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Every SU Swac game, with the exception of Jackson State, but that has even happen in the past.

I think that's also been the case for every game Southern's played against Southland Schools (Northwestern State and Nicholls State) it's played.

I've typed before that the hardest time I've ever had getting into a football game I just showed up at was when Southern played at Nicholls State in 1996 (I think). Whatever the year, I went down there and usually it's real easy to get into Nicholls State games as they have horrible attendance. But I got there an hour before the game and it was sold out.

I did the thing where I held my finger in the air indicating I needed one ticket. Finally some girl from Southern sold me one.

It was a tougher time getting a ticket than when I did the "finger in the air" thing to go to the Washington at LSU game in 1983. And that game was the attendance record for LSU before they expanded the stadium.

Anyway, Southern fans WAY outnumbered Nicholls State fans that night.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
i am sure this topic will have some people getting their feelings hurt... at some point...

Dammit....and it was my last one too! :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
I think that's also been the case for every game Southern's played against Southland Schools (Northwestern State and Nicholls State) it's played.

I've typed before that the hardest time I've ever had getting into a football game I just showed up at was when Southern played at Nicholls State in 1996 (I think). Whatever the year, I went down there and usually it's real easy to get into Nicholls State games as they have horrible attendance. But I got there an hour before the game and it was sold out.

I did the thing where I held my finger in the air indicating I needed one ticket. Finally some girl from Southern sold me one.

It was a tougher time getting a ticket than when I did the "finger in the air" thing to go to the Washington at LSU game in 1983. And that game was the attendance record for LSU before they expanded the stadium.

Anyway, Southern fans WAY outnumbered Nicholls State fans that night.

Usually every opponent we play we outnumber with the exception of Famu, Tenn St., and Jackson State when playing at their stadium. Now I don't expect us to outnumber McNeese in 11, due to lack of tickets that will be available to the Jaguar Nation. Looking foward to playing in the hole.

mtgrizfan4life
September 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
The game at EWU this year will be half Griz fans.

Isn't EWU AKA for their/our stadium Western Montana's Wash/GRIZ? The big sign from a few years ago is a classic. BTW, with airline tickets so expensive into Missoula, I am trying hard to fly into Spokane for that game. xthumbsupx