PDA

View Full Version : Albany

LehighFan11
September 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I really want to congratulate Albany for their scheduling and performance. I love how they have scheduled 4 CAA teams to begin the year. They have been highly competitive in all 3 so far. Maybe I missed this earlier in the offseason but how did they pull this off? Do some Albany fans not like having 4 home games and having to wait until mid oct to see their team?

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 07:46 AM
I really want to congratulate Albany for their scheduling and performance. I love how they have scheduled 4 CAA teams to begin the year. They have been highly competitive in all 3 so far. Maybe I missed this earlier in the offseason but how did they pull this off? Do some Albany fans not like having 4 home games and having to wait until mid oct to see their team?

There was a scheduling error that caused the first 5 games to be on the road.

The schedule was supposed to include a week 2 home game against Fordham. Apparently it was a verbal commitment with Fordham who had a written commitment with URI the same day. So Albany scheduling blew that one. And it may hurt us down the road. That week should have been a PL game that Albany more then likely would have won. Sitting at 2-2 right now with two very competitive loses against top 10 teams.

Anyway, it didn't work out like that and so you live with it. It sucks not having a home game until October 11th. Especially because its tough getting fans to our crappy stadium right now, but getting them there when its cold is just impossible.

I have a good feeling that next year's schedule will be much more favorable. Especially considering this is a junior laden team that really is a year away from their potential. xthumbsupx

JoltinJoe
September 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM
That week should have been a PL game that Albany more then likely would have won.

Doubtful. ;)

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 08:25 AM
Doubtful. ;)

I didn't necessarily mean against Fordham. I really meant they should have scheduled a PL game that Albany should have won for the stupid conditional access criteria (ie: Bucknell, G'Town, etc......).

But, I do think Albany would beat Fordham this year too.....xsmiley_wix But unfortunately we'll never know.....xsmhx

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM
I have a good feeling that next year's schedule will be much more favorable. Especially considering this is a junior laden team that really is a year away from their potential. xthumbsupx

Do you know what Albany's non-conference schedule will look like next year?

UAalum72
September 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Ford said in a radio interview that Albany plays Maine next year.

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm also pretty sure that we get Fordham at home.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'm always pretty proud of how UNH "does more with less" so I really have to tip my cap to Albany. xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

Just got done looking at the Albany roster and as I expected, it is loaded with kids from NYS. Over the past decades UNH has had a significant number of players from NYS and it is always a recruiting emphasis. While NYS doesn't often get mentioned with FL, TX, CA or even PA and NJ, the quality of the Albany team shows that NYS plays a pretty fair level of HS football. xtwocentsx

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'm always pretty proud of how UNH "does more with less" so I really have to tip my cap to Albany. xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

Just got done looking at the Albany roster and as I expected, it is loaded with kids from NYS. Over the past decades UNH has had a significant number of players from NYS and it is always a recruiting emphasis. While NYS doesn't often get mentioned with FL, TX, CA or even PA and NJ, the quality of the Albany team shows that NYS plays a pretty fair level of HS football. xtwocentsx

25 or so kids are actually Section II kids also. Section II is the HS section right around Albany which isn't as highly regarded as some of the other sections. Fordie has a way of finding kids who have great potential and that just need a little weight training and time, e.g., McCarty (local kid who was not really recruited out of high school at all).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
Double post -- I got one of those Internal Server Error messages and didn't think my initial post made it.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
25 or so kids are actually Section II kids also. Section II is the HS section right around Albany which isn't as highly regarded as some of the other sections. Fordie has a way of finding kids who have great potential and that just need a little weight training and time, e.g., McCarty (local kid who was not really recruited out of high school at all).

Sure glad we were able to get Scott Sicko! He's a Section II guy, correct?

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Sure glad we were able to get Scott Sicko! He's a Section II guy, correct?

Yup, Lasalle. David McCarty HS teammate. xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Two more Section II guys on UNH:

AJ DeLago (Fr Kicker) Albany Academy
David Looney (So D Line) Bethlehem Central

Coach McDonnell was a Section II guy at Saratoga.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yup, Lasalle. David McCarty HS teammate. xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Two more Section II guys on UNH:

AJ DeLago (Fr Kicker) Albany Academy
David Looney (So D Line) Bethlehem Catholic

Coach McDonnell was a Section II guy at Saratoga.

Wow, I had assumed that Looney was from PA and his family moved to NY. I didn't know there was a Bethlehem Catholic in upstate NY.

Coach Mac was a walk-on at UNH who became a starting DB. If you're getting a lot of Section II kids like Sean then that explains why Albany is successful! xnodx

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wow, I had assumed that Looney was from PA and his family moved to NY. I didn't know there was a Bethlehem Catholic in upstate NY.

Coach Mac was a walk-on at UNH who became a starting DB. If you're getting a lot of Section II kids like Sean then that explains why Albany is successful! xnodx

Sorry, Looney played at Bethlehem Central, not Catholic. But it was the Bethlehem NY (section II)

footballman65
September 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM
Sorry, Looney played at Bethlehem Central, not Catholic. But it was the Bethlehem NY (section II)

Dave Looney actually went to UAlbany before he went to Dean College and then to UNH

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Dave Looney actually went to UAlbany before he went to Dean College and then to UNH

That I didn't know. xthumbsupx

3 schools in 3 years. That's a lot of movement. I wonder what the deal was. Why he left Albany?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
That I didn't know. xthumbsupx

Me neither! But it does explain why he's listed as a redshirt freshman when he wasn't on the UNH roster last year.