PDA

View Full Version : This week has some suprises for me in the Big Sky

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
UNC Played better than I thought they would.
NAU struggled against SUU
EWU is having all they want from Western Washington right now

Gotta love football :D

UNCBears2010
September 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
UNC Played better than I thought they would.
NAU struggled against SUU
EWU is having all they want from Western Washington right now

Gotta love football :D

After this week, I feel a lot better about UNC's chances of winning some Big Sky games. We played very well against Texas State, but shot ourselves in the foot with untimely turnovers, something easily worked on.

I Bleed Purple
September 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Higgins 21-33 380 yds 4 TDs 0 Int.

On the road.

66% passing. 4 to 1 TD/INT ratio on the year so far. Probably drop to 63% and 3 to 1 after the Utah game, though.

Lookin' good. Teams are still focusing on Smith, letting Higgins run wild.

ddmann
September 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM
Just got back from the EWU Western game. And let me tell you EWU was stinking the place up! During the second quarter especially Western moved down the field at will. EWU either does not mind giving up the 6 yard pass or is incapable of stopping it. I am not too sure which is the case since it stayed that way all night long!

BTW EWU has a new set of plays that they were relying on heavily. During the first and second quarter they kept on trying a delay running play where the QB would drop back, then take a step or two forward and hand the ball to the running back. It was kind of like a running play "underneath" the O line. Western stuffed this play time and again. I could not figure out why EWU kept runnint it untill the third quarter. Using the same formation the QB would drop back, step forward and fake the handoff to the RB, then drop back another four steps and launch the ball to the open reciever. It worked well enough to earn them three more touchdowns. Very weird but evidently effective.

I don't know if EWU was playing the second string secondary and I hope for their sakes they were, because Western just ate them alive.

already123
September 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Higgins is having a great year. If Nichols doesnt watch out, he'll steal the offensive POY award

Screamin_Eagle174
September 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Higgins is having a great year. If Nichols doesnt watch out, he'll steal the offensive POY award

No doubt he's having a great year, but he'll finish second. Didn't even seem like Nichols was trying the other night against Western. He only had 24 pass attempts (which is pretty low considering), of which he completed 18 for 281 yards and 3 TDs.

mvemjsunpx
September 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM

Those two will be fighting Cole Bergquist, Marc Mariani, Trevyn Smith & Eddie Thompson as well.

UNCBears2010
September 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Those two will be fighting Cole Bergquist, Marc Mariani, Trevyn Smith & Eddie Thompson as well.

If UNC can win a few games, Bryan Waggener has to be in that conversation as well. 608 yards passing and 4 TDs through just 2 games.

kalm
September 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Just got back from the EWU Western game. And let me tell you EWU was stinking the place up! During the second quarter especially Western moved down the field at will. EWU either does not mind giving up the 6 yard pass or is incapable of stopping it. I am not too sure which is the case since it stayed that way all night long!

BTW EWU has a new set of plays that they were relying on heavily. During the first and second quarter they kept on trying a delay running play where the QB would drop back, then take a step or two forward and hand the ball to the running back. It was kind of like a running play "underneath" the O line. Western stuffed this play time and again. I could not figure out why EWU kept runnint it untill the third quarter. Using the same formation the QB would drop back, step forward and fake the handoff to the RB, then drop back another four steps and launch the ball to the open reciever. It worked well enough to earn them three more touchdowns. Very weird but evidently effective.

I don't know if EWU was playing the second string secondary and I hope for their sakes they were, because Western just ate them alive.

We were still able to manage 225 yards rushing, Matt Nichols was exceptional as always.

I'm not that worried. WWU did have a lot of success with the passing game, but not all night like you suggest. There 4th quarter drives went for -5, -10, 7, 25, and 32, the last two when the game was decided and the back-ups were in.

WWU's right tackle had a really good night against senior DE Jason Belford, forcing him way up field allowing the QB to step up and make some throws (and their QB had a great night). This wasn't helped by soft coverage creating a space in the flat. We also almost never blitzed, and their wr's had a serious height advantage over our corners.

Giving up that many points and yards to a DII school is a little troublesome but all of these things are very correctable except the height of our corners which can be mitigated by a more agressive pass rush.

Better to have it exposed now.

Wolfman
September 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM

The league MVP will come from EWU or Montana. You can make book on it.

slostang
September 23rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
The league MVP will come from EWU or Montana. You can make book on it.

The MVP can not come from Montana. That would make him a recruit of Hauck's and we all now that Hauck can not recruit talent. Right Wolfie???

Come on Wolfie, you are getting soft on us. I expect more from a professional Hauck hater.

slostang
September 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Sorry, double post.