PDA

View Full Version : Has Tennessee State finally arrived?

DSUrocks07
September 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
4-0 overall
Just knocked off the defending OVC champs
Eastern Kentucky 34-20
From one fellow HBCU to another...

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
4-0 overall
Just knocked off the defending OVC champs
Eastern Kentucky 34-20
From one fellow HBCU to another...

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

And all 4 wins are over FCS (granted mostly SWAC teams) but they all count as D-I wins.

Definitely fitting into top 25 consideration.

wkuhillhound
September 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Go Tigers! Beat them Colonels. :D

Cocky
September 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Heff must be playing good.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
No. Play someone good. The OVC is as good in the playoffs as the MEAC and SWAC.

DSUrocks07
September 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM

xlolx thats not saying much is it?

Big Dawg
September 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah well The Georgia Dome will be rocking on Saturday as FAMU and TSU get ready to meet up for the Atlanta Football Classic!!!

This should be a good game.

Big Dawg
September 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM

All you can do is beat who is on your schedule...they also blew out all the Swac schools except SU.

FCS Go!
September 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah well The Georgia Dome will be rocking on Saturday as FAMU and TSU get ready to meet up for the Atlanta Football Classic!!!

This should be a good game.

TV?

Retro
September 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
All you can do is beat who is on your schedule...they also blew out all the Swac schools except SU.

Who hasn't!

TSU needs to schedule some teams from more prominent conferences and win those to gain a little more respect.. Places like the CAA, MVC, Socon, etc... They've had some wins againest the OVC, but they are not one of the stronger conferences..

Big Dawg
September 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM
TV?

Yeah it's gonna be on Versus

Big Dawg
September 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Who hasn't!

TSU needs to schedule some teams from more prominent conferences and win those to gain a little more respect.. Places like the CAA, MVC, Socon, etc... They've had some wins againest the OVC, but they are not one of the stronger conferences..

Why should they give up games against FAMU and other traditional SWAC rivals...let's not beat a dead horse please

Retro
September 20th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Why should they give up games against FAMU and other traditional SWAC rivals...let's not beat a dead horse please

Because you're not ever going to be considered a good football team if you don't...
1. win your conference and win an occasional playoff game,
2. win some games againest traditionally good OOC teams..
3. quit only beating teams from the worst conferences in the FCS...

They don't have to give up those games, but you're not going to get any respect beating up a bunch weak teams.xnonox

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Wasn't TSU the #1 seed in the playoffs in '98 or '98 after playing basically no one all season?

gr8ness97
September 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM
Wasn't TSU the #1 seed in the playoffs in '98 or '98 after playing basically no one all season?

YES in 99, but they got paired with NC A&T, who won that game...

Maroons
September 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM
I don't know if beating EKU in 2008 will do much for TSU's reputation... but they do have quite a bit of talent. And while it's too early to know if JSU's shellacking of Chattanooga and EIU's victory over Ill. State are worth much, if TSU beats either or both of those OVC teams, they should get some consideration.

Besides 1998 is a long time ago from now. I don't see how that has anything to do with the quality of TSU's team in 2008.

Big Dawg
September 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM

It was 1999 and they beat us that year in Atlanta 42-25. They ended up losing in the 1st round and we ended up beating Troy St. and App. St. and then lost to YSU in the semifinals...TSU had a STRONG team in 1999 but just had a bad day against A&T.

I believe they started a 3rd string QB in that 1st round game against A&T...I'm not sure.

Big Dawg
September 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM
Because you're not ever going to be considered a good football team if you don't...
1. win your conference and win an occasional playoff game,
2. win some games againest traditionally good OOC teams..
3. quit only beating teams from the worst conferences in the FCS...

They don't have to give up those games, but you're not going to get any respect beating up a bunch weak teams.xnonox

Well take FAMU for example. In the late 90's we played in what was considered a weak conference. We BEAT UP on the MEAC(won the games we should've won) and then won in the playoffs.

Sometimes you have to look past the teams schedule and look at the fact that they were able to win games. Winning games leads to Confidence, and confidence leads to more wins, IMO.

G.S.Green
September 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM
Who hasn't!

Most of the schools only want to schedule you early in the season, at their place, with o chance for a home and home. That is tantamount to an FBS 'money game' so why would they take that?

Maroons
September 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
This is why I'm so happy we have a playoff system... If TSU takes care of business, they'll get a shot regardless of what poll voters think of their schedule.

And it is kind of funny how posters on this site throw around schedule weakness all the time... as if the App. State, Montana and JMUs of the world are just waiting around for teams to call and schedule home and homes... if only it were that easy.

JohnStOnge
September 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
It was 1999 and they beat us that year in Atlanta 42-25. They ended up losing in the 1st round and we ended up beating Troy St. and App. St. and then lost to YSU in the semifinals...TSU had a STRONG team in 1999 but just had a bad day against A&T.

I believe they started a 3rd string QB in that 1st round game against A&T...I'm not sure.

I'm not sure...maybe someone knows how to find out...but I do believe you're correct in saying they didn't have their starting QB for that game. Me, as a McNeese fan, I'm not going to be too critical of teams being highly seeded then losing (and getting blown out) in the first round.