PDA

View Full Version : FURMAN BEATS DELAWARE 23-21!

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Just thought this HUGE win for the underdogs needed a thread of its own. Congrats to both teams. Delaware has classy traveling fans! Nice crowd of Blue and Gold on the East Side! My Paladins didn't play their best, and even shot themselves in the foot a few times (We should have had 2 more TDs), but hey a win is a win!

With this being said, both teams know what they are looking like this year. What does the rest of the FCS world think about what these teams have this year? Will Furman be the NC Dark Horse? Will UD bounce back and go undefeatef for the rest of the year? How far will FU jump, and UD fall?

Questions...Questions...Questions!

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Delaware will miss the playoffs. (unless we change QB)

proasu89
September 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Good win!

Appstate29
September 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Furman still sucks ;)

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM
As does App!

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I think you both suck, but then where does that leave Delaware?xeekx

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Damn JMU ran back the kickoff.

danefan
UD better not overlook the Danes next week! Remember what happened last time they did that!

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6281/dscn0304nx4.jpg

furman94
I think you both suck, but then where does that leave Delaware?xeekx

In the butt! Haha...

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I'm done talking smack. With my luck the one time I talk crap all year Albany will end up getting killed.

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
UD better not overlook the Danes next week! Remember what happened last time they did that!

Who said jack about Albany? Sure, you beat us a couple years ago and we did overlook you. Not again.

How many championships do you have again?

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Wow... bad smack. How many did App have 3 years ago? ANY GIVEN SATURDAY! The past means NOTHING! :D

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Who said jack about Albany? Sure, you beat us a couple years ago and we did overlook you. Not again.

How many championships do you have again?

I can't say anything about that smack, because god knows how many times I've said that to Mets and Red Sox fans.......xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlol x

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Let's get back to Delaware @ Furman.

Both teams left a lot of points on the field. Both teams have a lot of room for improvement. Both could be playoff contenders or pretenders. This game did not answer many questions for either team, IMO.

As it stands, I see 6-6 or 7-5 for Delaware. If we make a successful transition to Lou Ritacco at QB and the team rallies around him, maybe 8-4 and an invite from the committee. It's just hard to see this team getting through this scheule with only two more losses.

appfan2008
September 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
congrats to you furman... good job for the socon...

furman94
I think this game told TONS about FU! We just beat the #6 team in the nation!

danefan
Let's get back to Delaware @ Furman.

Both teams left a lot of points on the field. Both teams have a lot of room for improvement. Both could be playoff contenders or pretenders. This game did not answer many questions for either team, IMO.

As it stands, I see 6-6 or 7-5 for Delaware. If we make a successful transition to Lou Ritacco at QB and the team rallies around him, maybe 8-4 and an invite from the committee.

Is it set that Ritacca is going to start?

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I think this game told TONS about FU! We just beat the #6 team in the nation!

It told that you can beat a team that had five turnovers at home by two points. I wouldn't be buying your tickets for Chatty just yet.

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
no comment

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Is it set that Ritacca is going to start?

Lol is this smack again? Ritacca, as in the feminine version of Ritacco?

No it's not set in stone. But, if Schoenhoft starts next week and we are in a tight game with the Danes, you'll be hearing "Ritacco" chanted in the stadium.

Syntax Error
September 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
no commentxlolx xnodx xcoffeex
Furman 3-1
UD 1-2

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Lol is this smack again? Ritacca, as in the feminine version of Ritacco?

Umm.......I'm going to assume you were kidding.

It was a typo.

No it's not set in stone. But, if Schoenhoft starts next week and we are in a tight game with the Danes, you'll be hearing "Ritacco" chanted in the stadium.

I saw Schoenhoft against Maryland and he looked pretty good. I'm surprised he regressed as much as it sounds like he did.

LarryBoy
September 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
IMO, this was Furman's sloppiest performance of the year. So, it feels good to knock off a quality opponent with that working against us. We still have a lot of room for improvement, but the experience of today's game could do a lot.

My brother told me walking out of the gate, "All I know is that last year's team couldn't have won this game." Look out SoCon...the Paladins are back.

Blue Hens--don't throw in the towel yet. THe CAA will probably beat each other up this year so it's still anyone's conference.

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I agree on both points. If we played our best, I really think it would have been won by more than 2 scores.

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I agree on both points. If we played our best, I really think it would have been won by more than 2 scores.

Same deal for Delaware. Five turnovers and 90 yards worth of penalties. Sloppy, sloppy game by the hens.

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well in that case, if we both played our bests, the game would have ended up tied with point ranges in the 40's!

Rob Iola
September 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Great job exploiting our weakness at linebacker. Furman beat us today much the same way that JMU beat us back in 2004, and you saw where they ended up...

Um, about SOCON officials - do they realize that the halo rule isn't on the books anymore? Or do they attend seminars run by MEAC refs?

BestOfBreed
September 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Congrats Furman!

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Delaware photo gallery of the game has been posted:

http://www.henshots.com/gallery/6021069_eoZaK

FUOneTime
September 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Yes Furman won! Yes we upset the #6 team! No, we didn't play very good ball. But all my enjoyment for winning this game was lost when I got home and read this:

"We were underachievers today," said Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler, whose team committed five turnovers for the first time since a 35-7 loss to Massachusetts in 2005. "Furman is a good football team, but they are not as good as we are. We will live with this loss, but we have to move on. We just made so many mistakes. We are embarrassed and its on me and on every player. I'm as upset with this loss as any game I've coached here. We made mistakes today we just can't make and haven't made before."

Hey Keeler, suck it up and take your lumps. There's no class in a COACH coming out and saying that a team is not as good as you. I've just become a whoever's-playing-Delaware fan, which is a shame. Outside the QB position the Blue Hens were a great looking team with good fans.

aust42
September 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Same deal for Delaware. Five turnovers and 90 yards worth of penalties. Sloppy, sloppy game by the hens.

Delaware isn't going to win games against anybody with 5 turnovers by the QB and 90 yards in penalties. Congrats to Furman. All that matters is the final score. Looks like Shoencroft is a bust, no wonder Ohio State ended up demoting him to Tightend.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM
xlolx xnodx xcoffeex
Furman 3-1
UD 1-2

Congrats to Furman!

But why do you seem to get so much pleasure from being a prick?

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I've just become a whoever's-playing-Delaware fan, which is a shame.

I don't disagree with anything Keeler said. Delaware shot itself in the foot all day today.

Root against us if you want. It's a free country!xlolx

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM
But why do you seem to get so much pleasure from being a prick?

Yeah, I was thinking the same exact thing. He must have been beaten up my Delawareans when he was a kid or something.

phoenixphanatic21
September 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Congrats to Furman on the huge win

matfu
September 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
"We were underachievers today," said Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler, whose team committed five turnovers for the first time since a 35-7 loss to Massachusetts in 2005. "Furman is a good football team, but they are not as good as we are.

Is Keeler a jerk and has no class or did he miss out on the football social etiquette teaching?

A LOSS IS A LOSS IS A LOSS!!!!!

Dinman31
September 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Great win for Furman today in a very sloppy football game. The Paladins helped themselves by getting off to a good start and held on after losing their top two tailbacks to injury (we were already missing our starting FB).

Delaware had some great fans, but if you agree with Keeler's opinion that UD is a better team or not, the comment absolutely lacked class. It was such a jerky comment to make. I'm sure he was irritated with the 4 INTs, but Furman turned it over three times and shot themselves in the foot plenty as well.

It was a fun game to watch. Good luck to the Blue Hens the rest of the way!

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
"We were underachievers today," said Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler, whose team committed five turnovers for the first time since a 35-7 loss to Massachusetts in 2005. "Furman is a good football team, but they are not as good as we are.

Is Keeler a jerk and has no class or did he miss out on the football social etiquette teaching?

He's got nine more games to play. Is he supposed to tell his team, we suck and we don't really stand a chance the rest of the year?

Ya think he might be trying to motivate his team a little after a tough loss?

LarryBoy
September 20th, 2008, 10:49 PM
He's got nine more games to play. Is he supposed to tell his team, we suck and we don't really stand a chance the rest of the year?

Motivation is great, but there are many ways to do it without taking an unnecessary, unjustifiable public shot at the team that just beat them. Plus, I think he should be more focused on making sure the team gets better, not trying to convince everyone that they already were better. Just seems strange.

FUOneTime
September 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I've got no problems with anyone saying Delaware's a better team than Furman. That's why they're ranked ahead of us. Turnovers controlled game blah blah. Keeler can say anything he wants in the locker room. You don't say what he did to the media. Like I said, it was classless.

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM
You guys did win the game right? Just checking. I thought maybe they went back and changed the score or something.

Relax. You got the big W. Everyone's got you in the championship game with JMU now. It's nothing but easy street here on out for you after knocking us off our lofty #6 perch!

THE WORLD IS YOURS!

matfu
September 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I have just NEVER heard a losing coach make that comment publically to the media...NEVER! Just surprised by the comment....whether or not it is true is beside the point. Oh well, that is why I was asking my question. Maybe he is a "good" guy who in the heat of the moment didn't think.

93henfan
September 20th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Our DE has no class either:

“We should have come out and beat this team,” said Delaware junior All-American defensive end Matt Marcorelle, who had three tackles and broke up two passes. “We underachieved. They came to play and we did not. They made the plays and we lost. We have to start making more plays.”

FUwolfpacker
September 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm certainly not going to tell anyone not to be upset by Keeler's comment, but....does it really matter? Furman won, let Keeler say whatever he wants. Still a lot of football left to be played for both sides.

Should he have said that...no. Definitely not necessary, but I was too busy celebrating the win to care what Keeler thought of our team.

I still like Delaware, and from everything I've heard the traveling fans were very classy (although I never got a chance to actually talk to one). No hard feelings from me. Probably shouldn't say that stuff publicly in the future though. You never know though, sometimes you say stuff after a loss out of anger that you regret later. I don't know if this sort of thing has happened with Keeler before, so I'll give him a pass this time.

Just my xtwocentsx though

FUwolfpacker
September 20th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I have just NEVER heard a losing coach make that comment publically to the media...NEVER! Just surprised by the comment....whether or not it is true is beside the point. Oh well, that is why I was asking my question. Maybe he is a "good" guy who in the heat of the moment didn't think.

Really? I feel like I hear it once year at one level or another.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM
You would think, that if Coach Keeler had the better team they would have lead at least once during this game. They were outplayed and outcoached by a gutsier scrappier team.

Furman has been playing angry this season. There was no respect for the Paladins in the preseason. They are out to prove something. The fact that UD and all of its FBS transfers couldn't beat us is just wonderful.

youwouldno
September 21st, 2008, 12:41 AM
Huge win for Furman in terms of playing in the postseason. The SoCon is pretty deep this year so a gaudy in-conference record is unlikely. So far as the game itself it was a sloppy affair on both sides... its not surprising the team with a better QB won. So far as what Keeler said... obviously the guy is not a gracious loser, but why should Furman fans really care? His team just suffered a painful loss after being ranked in the top 10. It would have been better to leave his feelings in the locker room but I can see that being difficult.

Nebuta
September 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah, FU fans should take the win and dont sweat the small stuff. No need to worry about what KC said. Keeler was asked that in the heat of the moment, immediately after the game. He made a bad decision, just as he did most of the day. (Abandon the running game that was averaging over 4 yards a carry. Keeping his starting QB in the game)

Anyways like I said before Grats Furman and Good luck on your conference play.

CID1990
September 21st, 2008, 06:37 AM
I've been telling guys down here that Furman might well be the best team in the SoCon after all is said and done this season. This win shows that they can certainly play with the better CAA teams.

phoenix3
September 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
I've been telling guys down here that Furman might well be the best team in the SoCon after all is said and done this season. This win shows that they can certainly play with the better CAA teams.

I've had the same feeling after looking at the stats for the past few weeks. Congrats Furman.

Purple Knight
September 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Best Furman pass defense I've ever seen. No receivers wide open (except coming out of the backfield). As soon as they caught the ball, it was immediate smackdown time.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM

Then you weren't paying attention last year as he said similar things after UNH beat Delaware.

And did you read the comments by Stan Brock after UNH beat Army this year? He called members of his team "quitters"! xeekx My gawd, if there is any team in this country that you wouldn't question their character, it is the service academies!! My point is that coaches say foolish things in the heat of the post game interviews. BTW, the visiting team's press conference occurs very soon after the game ends. It doesn't allow much time to cool off and let the competitive juices calm down.

caribbeanhen
September 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Best Furman pass defense I've ever seen. No receivers wide open (except coming out of the backfield). As soon as they caught the ball, it was immediate smackdown time.

dont get to excited about that, Delaware receivers never seem to be open

nick9c
September 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Just a few observations about the game:

Delaware had a good offensive line - I was surprised they abandoned the run for most of the first half after they were having great success running behind their all-american C in their first sustained drive to the goalline. Why it took Keeler until the 2nd half to realize he could run again, I have no idea - bad coaching. On passing plays, their QB had a lot of time, but give credit to Furman's DB's.

#11 - Delaware's DE was a beast - definitely the best player on the defense, if not the team.

Delware's LB's and DB's - just average - our WR's made some big plays against them. Also, some pretty poor tackling from some of their defenders. I remember one play where they were trying to tackle Mike Brown around his ankles and it resulted in a big play.

Speed - although Delware definitely had the bigger players, Furman has a lot of shifty players that gave the Blue Hens trouble...aka, Adam Mims and Mike Brown.

QB's - Clear advantage Furman. Sorrells was calm despite having a lot more pressure on him all day long from #11. Just better overall execution on some crucial plays compared to the Delaware QB. I think once the Delaware QB gains a bit more experience, he could be a good one - nice arm.

Coaching - Despite being outsized, we clearly had the more effective gameplan, targeting Delaware's weaknesses. Keeler can claim he had the better team and perhaps they would have been with some better coaching. I can guarantee you that if Delware kept running during the first half, it would have probably been pretty even going into halftime. Keeler's team get a B, Keeler gets an F. Obviously Keeler is not a gracious loser. He was the big loser in this game, not Delaware.

furman94
September 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
What did all of you Hen fans think of Furman and Greenville? Did you enjoy your trip?

Death Dealer
September 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Just a few observations about the game:

Delaware had a good offensive line - I was surprised they abandoned the run for most of the first half after they were having great success running behind their all-american C in their first sustained drive to the goalline. Why it took Keeler until the 2nd half to realize he could run again, I have no idea - bad coaching. On passing plays, their QB had a lot of time, but give credit to Furman's DB's.

#11 - Delaware's DE was a beast - definitely the best player on the defense, if not the team.

Delware's LB's and DB's - just average - our WR's made some big plays against them. Also, some pretty poor tackling from some of their defenders. I remember one play where they were trying to tackle Mike Brown around his ankles and it resulted in a big play.

Speed - although Delware definitely had the bigger players, Furman has a lot of shifty players that gave the Blue Hens trouble...aka, Adam Mims and Mike Brown.

QB's - Clear advantage Furman. Sorrells was calm despite having a lot more pressure on him all day long from #11. Just better overall execution on some crucial plays compared to the Delaware QB. I think once the Delaware QB gains a bit more experience, he could be a good one - nice arm.

Coaching - Despite being outsized, we clearly had the more effective gameplan, targeting Delaware's weaknesses. Keeler can claim he had the better team and perhaps they would have been with some better coaching. I can guarantee you that if Delware kept running during the first half, it would have probably been pretty even going into halftime. Keeler's team get a B, Keeler gets an F. Obviously Keeler is not a gracious loser. He was the big loser in this game, not Delaware.
Good analysis.

Delaware's receivers were open more than the passing stats indicate. Your QB was under lots of pressure all day, but particularly once you abandoned the run and went to the passing game. FU brought rush after rush and Shoenhoft (sp?) made some poor throws.

Why Keeler abandoned #2, I'll never know. Maybe he was hurt? He did go out twice with what looked like cramps or something. But we had no answer for that guy. That guy is a horse. Our guys would grab him and he'd drag them for three or four yards before going down. What a beast!!!

Some bad officiating for sure, on both sides of the ball. Bad call on the pass interfence in the end zone. Then no call on the exact same thing down on the other end of the field. The halo rule call. Too many illegal formation calls. I think they set a new NCAA record for illegal procedure calls in a single game. xlolx But that's SOCON officiating. At least it was pretty evenly distributed on both teams.

Your defense is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!xeekx Even your DB's were big!! But at the end of the day, I was impressed at how our OL protected Jordan and gave him time to pass. He rushed a few throws, but overall he maintained his cool and was pretty accurate.

Spoke with a couple of Del. fans, they were very good folks, and gracious in the loss. Keeler is a jerk for sure for making the comment he did, but whatever. Maybe his team is better than ours, the score says differently. Maybe what they need is a better coach.xcoffeex

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. I won't be rooting against you for four reasons. 89Hen, SunCoast, and Rob Iola (all three good guys), and, most importantly, the better you do the rest of the season, the better this win looks for FU xsmiley_wix .

SCPALADIN
September 21st, 2008, 11:17 AM
I've had the same feeling after looking at the stats for the past few weeks. Congrats Furman.

...and congrats to Elon. Big win over GSU. I watched the game last night on CSS. This is going to be a very entertaining SoCon season.

ChickenMan
September 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Just got back from the game.. Furman outplayed UD and deserved to win the game. As for who was the better team.. well Furman was way better at QB and they were also better coached.. and that was enough. Defensively UD stuffed the FU running game but.. the Hens gave up at least seven plays of 25+ yrds which you just can't do and expect to win a game vs a quality opponent. Then there's the little matter of FIVE turnovers.. UD might not beat West Chester turning it over five times. As for that phantom interference call on Furman's fumbled punt.. who knows how the offficals came up with that one??? Even the FU fans around us admitted that was a totally bogus call.. but that didn't cost the Hens the game.. five turnovers and some key big plays by FU were the reason for the loss.

As for UD the rest of the way.. the QB play has to improve or the Hens will struggle to reach 6-6.. but I have serious doubts that Schoenhoft is capable of a lot of improvement. He has obvious flaws in the way he throws the ball (looks like he's shotputting it at times) and despite having great protection the entire game vs FU.. he made almost as many big negative plays as he did positive ones. But based on KC's history.. I'm afraid it will have to get a lot worse before Keeler makes a change at QB.

Congrats to Furman.. a very nice fans.. stadium and town.. along with a beautiful looking campus. We met up with OL FU after the game at Bailey's to drown our sorrows... or was it to celebrate Furman's win.... ;)

bleedblue
September 22nd, 2008, 01:18 AM

Why would we even care what Furman fans think of our coach. Classless? I don't care. Win is what is about. Our is issue is in the backfeild not in South who gives a crap Carolina. Many times have the lesser of two teams beats the better team. That's a fact. That's why we play the game. Not to be classy.

OL FU
September 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Just got back from the game.. Furman outplayed UD and deserved to win the game. As for who was the better team.. well Furman was way better at QB and they were also better coached.. and that was enough. Defensively UD stuffed the FU running game but.. the Hens gave up at least seven plays of 25+ yrds which you just can't do and expect to win a game vs a quality opponent. Then there's the little matter of FIVE turnovers.. UD might not beat West Chester turning it over five times. As for that phantom interference call on Furman's fumbled punt.. who knows how the offficals came up with that one??? Even the FU fans around us admitted that was a totally bogus call.. but that didn't cost the Hens the game.. five turnovers and some key big plays by FU were the reason for the loss.

As for UD the rest of the way.. the QB play has to improve or the Hens will struggle to reach 6-6.. but I have serious doubts that Schoenhoft is capable of a lot of improvement. He has obvious flaws in the way he throws the ball (looks like he's shotputting it at times) and despite having great protection the entire game vs FU.. he made almost as many big negative plays as he did positive ones. But based on KC's history.. I'm afraid it will have to get a lot worse before Keeler makes a change at QB.

Congrats to Furman.. a very nice fans.. stadium and town.. along with a beautiful looking campus. We met up with OL FU after the game at Bailey's to drown our sorrows... or was it to celebrate Furman's win.... ;)

You need to post a picture of your new souvenier shirt.xnodx

As far as what Keeler said, who cares. His job is to coach his team and if he thinks his comments get them more prepared for the next game then fine or if he is just an asshole, fine. Who Caresxconfusedx It makes no difference to me cuz it is now 2-0 and the last one wasn't 20 years agoxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

OL FU
September 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM

You need to post a picture of your new souvenier shirt.xnodx

As far as what Keeler said, who cares. His job is to coach his team and if he thinks his comments get them more prepared for the next game then fine or if he is just an asshole, fine. Who Caresxconfusedx It makes no difference to me cuz it is now 2-0 and the last one wasn't 20 years agoxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Big Al
September 22nd, 2008, 08:15 AM

It's not the first time Keeler has behaved like a jerk towards other teams. Won't be the last.

SCPALADIN
September 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Why would we even care what Furman fans think of our coach. Classless? I don't care. Win is what is about. Our is issue is in the backfeild not in South who gives a crap Carolina. Many times have the lesser of two teams beats the better team. That's a fact. That's why we play the game. Not to be classy.

Thank you for your contribution to the topic. You obviously spent a long time thinking about what to write...xcoffeex xpopcornx xcoffeex xpopcornx xcoffeex

I hope you aren't an English major...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
CONGRATS TO ALL WEARING PURPLE ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Death Dealer
September 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
This series has proven what most of us already knew, when comparing these two conferences, it's a coin toss from week to week. xnodx Here's to being members of the best two conferences in FCS!!xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
I think Delaware hit the "panic" button too early. They tied the game at 7 and then before they could blink it was 20-7. Hens started going to the air. That didn't work. They started to run Smith again, that had success.

Where I think they missed out was when Smith would get stopped on first downs. Instead of going back to the run on 2nd and long, Delaware would go to Schoenhoft. Then it's 3rd and long and back to Schoenhoft.

It just seemed that Smith rarely ran twice in a row after he was stopped once. They only ran him consecutively when he'd picked up nice yards. The one big advantage UD had was the size of their offense against the size of Furman's defense. When the Hens started to pass they played right into Furman's hands.

Death Dealer
September 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I think Delaware hit the "panic" button too early. They tied the game at 7 and then before they could blink it was 20-7. Hens started going to the air. That didn't work. They started to run Smith again, that had success.

Where I think they missed out was when Smith would get stopped on first downs. Instead of going back to the run on 2nd and long, Delaware would go to Schoenhoft. Then it's 3rd and long and back to Schoenhoft.

It just seemed that Smith rarely ran twice in a row after he was stopped once. They only ran him consecutively when he'd picked up nice yards. The one big advantage UD had was the size of their offense against the size of Furman's defense. When the Hens started to pass they played right into Furman's hands.
I agree. Why they didn't run Smith more I will never understand. xconfusedx Not that I'm complaining!xlolx xsmiley_wix

furman94
September 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah really!

citdog
September 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
vermin scum beat the traitors to The Cause? it's a damn shame either of y'all had to win

YoUDeeMan
September 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I agree. Why they didn't run Smith more I will never understand. xconfusedx Not that I'm complaining!xlolx xsmiley_wix

Because we have the same thinking on the offensive coaching side as we did when Omar was racking up a billion yards against W&M in 2004. xnonono2x

OOOOOW! F-n ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! xbawlingx

Death Dealer
September 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
vermin scum beat the traitors to The Cause? it's a damn shame either of y'all had to win

Oh shut up and go sit in the corner. We'll get to you in a few weeks, don't get in such a hurry.xcoolx xsmiley_wix

When we getting together again anyway?xeyebrowx

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Because we have the same thinking on the offensive coaching side as we did when Omar was racking up a billion yards against W&M in 2004. xnonono2x

OOOOOW! F-n ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! xbawlingx

look at this as penance for three years of Joe Flacco.

YoUDeeMan
September 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
look at this as penance for three years of Joe Flacco.

Two.

We already had a year thanks to Pitt's coach. :p

Fun game for those who can swallow the mistakes (I think UD fans forget Furman made some, too). Unfortunately, someone had to lose.

See you guys next year! xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Two.

We already had a year thanks to Pitt's coach. :p

Fun game for those who can swallow the mistakes (I think UD fans forget Furman made some, too). Unfortunately, someone had to lose.

See you guys next year! xthumbsupx

Most UD fans forget Furman turned it over three times, penalized themselves out of a touchdown in the third quarter, dropped a wide open fake field goal that would have been a score.

Both teams tried very hard to give the game away. Delaware just tried harder.

furman94
September 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
nice way to look at it!

SunCoastBlueHen
September 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
From all I heard (since I didn't see the game) is that Furman won the game outright - no excuses. However, Hens fans who have watched all the games say that Delaware is a very good team less one crucial component...

Here's hoping we find a way to, somehow, get better QB play in the future. xthumbsupx

griz&beer
September 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Nice win Furman, I thought you guys would lose this one.