PDA

View Full Version : I-AA WILL have a champion

89Hen
October 31st, 2005, 03:00 PM
Thank God for the playoffs. :nod: :bow:

Sorry, just got a kick out of anyone predicting anything for the remainder of this season. What a whacky one.

putter
October 31st, 2005, 03:02 PM
I'm with you 89. With too many playoff, conference championship contenders playing each other, who knows how it will fall out! Fun to watch though! Who says a playoff wouldn't be exciting for fans? (I-A jab there)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2005, 03:05 PM
I am very excited to see if my Mountain Hawks can finish the year at 3-0 (no sure thing, of course, this year) and carry that roll into the playoffs and make a run at this thing. AGS applies more than ever this year, and anyone who makes the promised land has a shot at it.

(Except, if you read this board, Hampton and Coastal - they have no shot :D :D :D :D :D JOKING, OF COURSE!)

blackfordpu
October 31st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Some of us have seen those teams and the teams they play in action.

You seem to be down on these two teams ralph. Why is that? They are having outstanding seasons.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2005, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=Lehigh Football Nation]I am very excited to see if my Mountain Hawks can finish the year at 3-0 (no sure thing, of course, this year) and carry that roll into the playoffs and make a run at this thing. AGS applies more than ever this year, and anyone who makes the promised land has a shot at it.QUOTE]

I think if Lehigh runs the table, Fordham won't be a cakewalk and Lafayette will be a bear, the Hawks have a good chance to do some damage. The key in the playoffs is always matchups. The only team that really scares me is New Hampshire because of their rediculous passing attack. Lehigh has to hope to avoid them until atleast the semi's to make any kind of run. Hopefully Lehigh can get a home game and defend their turf, something they couldn't quite do against JMU last year. I expect a 9-2 Lehigh team to play the A-10 runnerup, hopefully at home. I think Lehigh match's up well with Umass and Richmond from the A-10 because neither are pass-happy teams, W&M wouldn't be a bad matchup either.

LacesOut
October 31st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Here's your I-AA NC game from Laces:

Montana vs. Furman.

Book it! (Haha, yeah, right)

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2005, 03:56 PM

Montana vs. Furman.

I wouldn't book anything this year. I doubt if anyone is selling playoff tickets yet.
:D

GoGSU
October 31st, 2005, 04:27 PM

Montana vs. Furman.

I can guarantee 1 team that won't be there...........Furman...

I like Montana vs GSU or New Hampshire vs GSU or anyone vs GSU!!! :D

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 04:32 PM
I can guarantee 1 team that won't be there...........Furman...

I like Montana vs GSU or New Hampshire vs GSU or anyone vs GSU!!! :D
I'd love to see a Montana Georgia Southern rematch for the title. Still have a ways to go before we know if thats even a possibility, but that would make for one hell of a good game.

Saint3333
October 31st, 2005, 05:18 PM
I'd love to see an ASU-Montana rematch.

elkmcc
October 31st, 2005, 05:18 PM
I'd love to see a Montana Georgia Southern rematch for the title. Still have a ways to go before we know if thats even a possibility, but that would make for one hell of a good game.

I'd love to see App St., New Hampshire and GSU all come to Wa/Griz for a little reunion. Now that would be a great bunch of playoff games to see.

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
I'd love to see App St., New Hampshire and GSU all come to Wa/Griz for a little reunion. Now that would be a great bunch of playoff games to see.
Those would all be great teams for us to play again. Get GSU up here for some cold weather. My first vivid memory of Griz football is when Jimmy Farris caught the touchdown in the back of the endzone to win the game against App St. in overtime in 2000. It is one of the loudest roars I have ever heard at that stadium.

LacesOut
November 1st, 2005, 07:20 AM
I'm changing my pick already. I'm sick and tired of Montana being there. I want some new blood.

App State vs. UNH

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 07:29 AM
Explain how those two teams are having outstanding seasons and please don't say because they have few losses. Neither do the Harlem Globetrotters. GPI is not bad for either but not indicative of a team that can "roll into the playoffs and make a run at this thing":
16 16.33 Hampton
17 16.67 Coastal Carolina

Before anyone says "JAMES MADISON" remember that they were GPI No. 5 last year prior to the playoffs.

THANK YOU! HOLY LORD! Do you people only look at the win and loss column, atleast Ralph has his head on straight

OL FU
November 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM
THANK YOU! HOLY LORD! Do you people only look at the win and loss column, atleast Ralph has his head on straight

:boring: :read: xcoffeex

Must be time to get up and go to work :D

OL FU
November 1st, 2005, 07:46 AM
Explain how those two teams are having outstanding seasons and please don't say because they have few losses. Neither do the Harlem Globetrotters. GPI is not bad for either but not indicative of a team that can "roll into the playoffs and make a run at this thing":
16 16.33 Hampton
17 16.67 Coastal Carolina

Before anyone says "JAMES MADISON" remember that they were GPI No. 5 last year prior to the playoffs.

Ralph, third year program, 7-1 16th in the GP (top 15% of all teams) That sounds like an outstanding year. It may not be outstanding if you are looking at the top five teams. But considering the above, that is pretty dang good.

Wellington
November 1st, 2005, 09:05 AM
I would like to see a Montana vs JMU rematch on a GOOD field..

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
:boring: :read: xcoffeex

Must be time to get up and go to work :D

you know it! its my morning rant! you know you love it!

OL FU
November 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM
you know it! its my morning rant! you know you love it!

What can I say, you guys are obsessed with CCU and for whatever reason I am obsessed with your obsession. I think it is time to call a counselor. :(

Grizo406
November 3rd, 2005, 04:07 AM
I like Montana vs GSU or New Hampshire vs GSU...

Or NH vs the Griz...I'd be happy to play either GSU or NH for the National Championship.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2005, 06:15 AM
I know that, but predicting is so much fun!! (Down with the BCS!!)

HensRock
November 3rd, 2005, 08:17 AM
How many I-A teams have a legitimate shot at a national title at this point in the season? How many I-AA's?

Playoffs are SO superior.
I-AA ROCKS!

89Hen
November 3rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
How many I-A teams have a legitimate shot at a national title at this point in the season?
If I can reword that a little to:

"How many I-A teams have a shot at a legitimate national title at this point in the season?"

the answer is none IMHO. :p

LacesOut
November 3rd, 2005, 08:28 AM
I-A has two or three very very good teams.

I-AA has no very very good teams, IMO. But they do have a plethora of good teams. No dominant one, like USC.

Which means, you're right, the playoff system in I-AA is awesome.

grizband
November 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
I-A has two or three very very good teams.

I-AA has no very very good teams, IMO. But they do have a plethora of good teams. No dominant one, like USC.

Which means, you're right, the playoff system in I-AA is awesome.
Even in the years where I-AA does have dominant teams (SIU and GSU last year), there is always the chance that some upstart will beat them (ala EWU and UNH). Thats what I love about this league.

HensRock
November 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Even in the years where I-AA does have dominant teams (SIU and GSU last year), there is always the chance that some upstart will beat them (ala EWU and UNH). Thats what I love about this league.

Exactly.
At this point of the season, in I-A, if you have 2 losses or more you have ZERO chance at a national title. Many times even 1 loss spells the end of the season in most years at I-A. At the end of the regular season, the answer will be exactly 2 teams have a chance at a title.

According to Matt Dougherty, as many as 44 I-AA teams still have a chance at a I-AA national title. At the end of the regular season, the answer will be exactly 16.

LacesOut
November 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
At this point of the season, in I-A, if you have 2 losses or more you have ZERO chance at a national title. Many times even 1 loss spells the end of the season in most years at I-A. At the end of the regular season, the answer will be exactly 2 teams have a chance at a title.

That's why I say that I-A has a playoff basically every single week, because teams know that they can't lose a game during the regular season if they want a shot at the National Championship. Makes the regular season very very meaningful.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
That's why I say that I-A has a playoff basically every single week, because teams know that they can't lose a game during the regular season if they want a shot at the National Championship. Makes the regular season very very meaningful.

Yep. Meaningful, riiiigggghttt up until that point where you lose your first game. Then, all a I-A fan can hope for is some BS bowl in the middle of friggin nowhere...

Then there's the alternative, where 3-4 teams go undefeated, but only TWO get a shot at the title. I'm not sure which is more BS. :mad:

The money talks, and that's all that matters in I-A. The Bowl system will NEVER go away, because the 6 major conferences make too damn much money at it. We can just consider ourselves fortunate that I-AA never developed a similar structure, or we'd probably be stuck with it as well. :nod: