PDA

View Full Version : "Oil Check" day for Southland

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
"Zem," who frequents the McNeese Delphi board, has used the term "oil check game" to refer to a game such that a team finds out where it is. It's not a virtually unwinnable game like Appalachian State LSU and it's not a virtually sure victory like McNeese vs. Southern Virginia. It's a game against a solid team on your level.

A bit of trivia is that, so far this season, the Southland is undefeated against FCS and transitional FCS teams in non conference play as far as I can tell. But by my count it's only five games. Two wins over Great West teams (Central Arkansas over UC Davis along with Southeastern Louisiana over South Dakota) and three wins over SWAC teams.

Today Cal Poly is at Northwestern State, Texas State is at Northern Colorado, and Stephen F. Austin is at Western Illinois. If the Southland continues to be undefeated against other FCS and FCS transitionals after today, I think it'll be a good sign for the conference. I don't think it's likely; but I'm hoping for it.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I can see the SLC losing games to CP, UNC and WIU today...

The best chance for a win is the Bobcats in Greeley. It's really not looking too optimistic for the Southland teams. Too bad UCA is playing Quincy instead of a team that they could knock off...

Lost some great games last week -- Cal Poly v McNeese and SHSU v PV...darn shame!

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Well, they got the "easy" one...barely. Texas State hangs on to beat Northern Colorado 38-35 as Northern Colorado fumbles at the Texas State one yard line as time was running out. Not a game for fans of defense. Both teams should've scored even more points as both missed multiple scoring opportunities after penetrating the red zone.

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
JohnStOnge,

A win is a win. A win on the road is not easy no matter what. This UNC team has a good offense. Their QB is very good.

Texas State 2 and 1

I will see you in Lake Chuck in October

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Well, Northwestern State and SFA got their oil checked but good. Can't say I was expecting them to win but I would've thought Northwestern State would've put up a little bit more of a fight than it did playing at home.

NoCoDanny
September 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
He is lightyears ahead of what we've had recently but he **** the bed many times, huge mistakes all over the place cost the game... not anything we haven't seen a million times already though...

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM
JohnStOnge,

The Northwestern State score did surprise me. Remember Texas State defeated them at home last year. We haven't won that often in Demonland.:)

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
JohnStOnge,

A win is a win. A win on the road is not easy no matter what. This UNC team has a good offense. Their QB is very good.

Texas State 2 and 1

I will see you in Lake Chuck in October

I put "easy" in quotes because that game looked to be kind of a toss up matchup going in while the other two Southland teams playing against FCS opponents were big underdogs.

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
He is lightyears ahead of what we've had recently but he **** the bed many times, huge mistakes all over the place cost the game... not anything we haven't seen a million times already though...

Your QB is a keeper...no doubt

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
This next week isn't too much exciting either outside of UND vs SLU and SHSU vs G-Webb. Southern Utah-TXST is a bit on the predictable side. Would be nice if the SLC could pick up those three wins and then for the most part, it's on to SLC play...